What do you think would be fair?

andy2032

Some rough folks here. Glad none of them ever made a mistake.

I have not seen anyone "be rough".

The company, who is the expert at pricing and selling these cabins, made an offer to OP, which OP accepted, and now the company wants to rescind the offer. The company doesn't even seem to have reviewed the recorded transcript before approaching OP with their demand and that's, to me, unreasonable. Even the OP's travel agent thinks this is a pretty clear cut case.

For the OP to now accept less than the offer he or she agreed to is them doing a favor for the cruise line with no benefit to the guest. It's not like OP is demanding something they were never offered in the first place. If the TA assists in resolving the issue to OP's satisfaction, no reason to drop the TA. If the TA is not willing or able to obtain favorable resolution, why would you continue to use them in the future? An advocate that can not assist you is nothing more than a payment processor, not a skilled and trusted advisor with the ability to help resolve issues. When a commission goes to an agent they become the primary point of discussion with the cruise line. What happens when the next issue occurs down the road and the TA says "We're just a payment processor, and the cruise line won't deal with you direct". What is the value in that relationship to the paying customer?

I heard from the supervisor at this agency late last night. She informed me they are still working on it. That it was a mistake by NCL and she and a supervisor there are working to resolve this. She also stated that she feels NCL should honor the misquoted price that I agreed to. NCL will make a decision by Tuesday the lastest.

I would think the TA made the mistake and not the cruise line. If you are vexed at someone, it should be the TA. You can either pay the extra amount or just go back the the orginal cabin and mark it as a learning experience.

This has nothing to do with being 'fair', fair means the transaction is for the correct amount where neither side is cheated. You are wanting them to eat a mistake on someones part which no business has to do. If the shoe was on the other foot I bet your reaction would be different.

Edited by ray98

If the shoe was on the other foot I bet your reaction would be different.

Please give us an example of a mistake a guest would make that the company would NOT hold the guest to? I'm genuinely curious because I can't think of an opposite situation that would cause an opposite reaction:confused:

Asking a company to honor a recorded offer isn't cheating and it's very incorrect to label it as such. Cheating implies a measure of deceit or wanting to steal.

No matter whose mistake it was, and we won't know that until NCL releases the transcript from the phone call, the company making the mistake should make it right. If it was NCL, they should waive the $400 and if it is the TA, they should pay the $400.

Sorry. I guess I come from somewhere different.

If time had gone by (weeks), then maybe NCL should eat it. They called back 30 minutes later when they realized the mistake. As a customer, it would be a bummer - but I would never expect them to hold to the price. I would like to think they might do something for me, but it was a mistake.

Neither NCL or the TA should have to reach into their pocket.

No idea what sort of business most folks here have - but if one of your employees made a similar mistake, would you reach into YOUR POCKET and cover the $400? (not your employers pocket, but YOUR pocket)

And, as to any recording - it does not matter. It was a mistake. I assume that somebody made a mistake.

Where I come from the sticker price is what you pay, whether or not the company made a mistake. This includes if you made a verbal agreements. That's why here when you talk to anyone on the phone you are told they are recording it.

One time I was organising a service for my car. We agreed the price. But my service was twice the price when invoiced, I challenged it was told that was standard price. But the phone call recorded the offer we agreed to and I was refunded the difference.

If I had agreed a reasonable price I would expect it to be honoured.

Even in the shops if they have the wrong sticker price up you get the price on the sticker, even if it was a mistake and they then change the sticker price.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Where I come from the sticker price is what you pay, whether or not the company made a mistake. This includes if you made a verbal agreements. That's why here when you talk to anyone on the phone you are told they are recording it.

One time I was organising a service for my car. We agreed the price. But my service was twice the price when invoiced, I challenged it was told that was standard price. But the phone call recorded the offer we agreed to and I was refunded the difference.

If I had agreed a reasonable price I would expect it to be honoured.

Even in the shops if they have the wrong sticker price up you get the price on the sticker, even if it was a mistake and they then change the sticker price.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

This is not usually the case in the USA. If a retailer makes a mistake on their advertised price they are not responsible for honoring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard from the supervisor at this agency late last night. She informed me they are still working on it. That it was a mistake by NCL and she and a supervisor there are working to resolve this. She also stated that she feels NCL should honor the misquoted price that I agreed to. NCL will make a decision by Tuesday the lastest.

Unless there is a tape of the conversation between NCL and you TA, you are never going to know who made the mistake. It doesn't take NCL long to resolve a situation like this, I suspect that the issues lies with your TA, more than with NCL, even though the TA is telling you something different.

Unless you spoke with NCL yourself, the issue really is between you and the TA. If the TA told you a price it is up to them to honor it, so they need to figure out how to make it right and that is what is taking until Tuesday.

Leaving for the Gem on February 24. I called my agent to upgrade from inside to balcony, she did some figuring with NCL and they came up with a price of $375.18 for the upgrade, I agreed to the price. I then checked my account on NCL and the upgrade showed I was now in a balcony room. Thirty minutes later I get a call from my agent saying NCL called her back and said they made a mistake I owe another $400.00 more for the upgrade and I have not been moved to the balcony yet. I told her I checked my account with NCL and it is stating I am in a balcony. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said they were to busy to speak to me, that she was reverting me back to inside cabin and she could no longer talk to me. Six hours later I receive a email stating supervisor is reviewing taped conversation with NCL and she will contact me in 48 hours. My question is do you think I should get the balcony for the price they originally quoted me and I agreed to?

It wouldn't be worth that much to me although I don't know where your itinerary is going or how many sea days you have. We are rarely in the room...either out in port or participate in activities. I do enjoy a balcony but rarely book one to start out and am prepared to keep the cabin we initially book.

We have upgraded from inside to balcony on our last two NCL cruises after final payment using the bid system. That was a LOT less costly than either of the options you describe although you can't be certain cabins will be available for bidding. Plus the email comes directly from NCL and the TAs are not involved in it which can complicate things. I'd roll the dice and wait for the upgrade offer if I were you.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my situation. The problem has been resolved. NCL reviewed the taped conversation between my agent and them, finding the mistake was made on their part. NCL honored the quoted price and gave me the balcony plus they gave me $400 shipboard credit, $200 shore excursions credit, beverage package, and dining package and 250 minutes of wifi. I believe NCL went above and beyond and I am very thankful to them for this. I am also thankful my agent and her supervisor went to bat for me. Very pleased with the outcome.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my situation. The problem has been resolved. NCL reviewed the taped conversation between my agent and them, finding the mistake was made on their part. NCL honored the quoted price and gave me the balcony plus they gave me $400 shipboard credit, $200 shore excursions credit, beverage package, and dining package and 250 minutes of wifi. I believe NCL went above and beyond and I am very thankful to them for this. I am also thankful my agent and her supervisor went to bat for me. Very pleased with the outcome.

I guess they went above and beyond. Have a great cruise. Glad it wasn't the fault of your agent. I would have hated to hear you dropped her/him over this if you have always had faith in the past

No idea what sort of business most folks here have - but if one of your employees made a similar mistake, would you reach into YOUR POCKET and cover the $400? (not your employers pocket, but YOUR pocket)

Nobody would do this. This isn’t how business works. This is kind of like saying if you are a waitress at a restaurant and someone walks out on the bill, that the waitress should have to pay for it. Any reasonably run business has some contingency funds set aside. This is why the supervisor got involved right away. To determine where the fault was and how to best resolve it. No one suggested that the individual TA should pay the difference out of his/her pocket.

I am a supervisor and while my business doesn’t involve monetary transactions (work for local government), we get sued often. The city pays the lawsuits out unless the employee did something really wrong. To put it in this scenario, if the TA thought she was quoting the right price, the city would pay out the claim. The only way they wouldn’t is if they were able to uncover that the employee was purposely giving false quotes to friends to cause the city to pay out.

I’m glad this all worked out for the OP

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for coming back and letting us know the outcome. I am glad you had a favorable outcome. So the lesson learned here is when you are told something reasonable and a company wants to reneg after the fact, utilize your agent (or yourself) to advocate for the the company to hold to what they promised, anything less invites them to make "mistakes" and demand additional payments from others. Great outcome!

Nobody would do this. This isn’t how business works. This is kind of like saying if you are a waitress at a restaurant and someone walks out on the bill, that the waitress should have to pay for it. Any reasonably run business has some contingency funds set aside. This is why the supervisor got involved right away. To determine where the fault was and how to best resolve it. No one suggested that the individual TA should pay the difference out of his/her pocket.

I am a supervisor and while my business doesn’t involve monetary transactions (work for local government), we get sued often. The city pays the lawsuits out unless the employee did something really wrong. To put it in this scenario, if the TA thought she was quoting the right price, the city would pay out the claim. The only way they wouldn’t is if they were able to uncover that the employee was purposely giving false quotes to friends to cause the city to pay out. ...

You just pointed out the real problem here.

What if the TA owned the business? The money comes out of THEIR pocket.

If the waitress also owned the restaurant, it does come out of their pocket. If the owner covers the mistake, it comes out of their pocket. SOMEBODY always pays. ALWAYS.

When the city pays out a claim, where do you think the money comes from?

Wow

You just pointed out the real problem here.

What if the TA owned the business? The money comes out of THEIR pocket.

If the waitress also owned the restaurant, it does come out of their pocket. If the owner covers the mistake, it comes out of their pocket. SOMEBODY always pays. ALWAYS.

When the city pays out a claim, where do you think the money comes from?

Wow

Why should an individual be responsible for a mistake but a business not be responsible for a mistake? No one is saying the mistake was malicious or intentional, that is why it is a mistake. But when a mistake occurs on the part of a company, most reputable companies also take responsibility as they did here.

In fact, NCL went above and beyond and now have given a great impression to OP who has, in turn, relayed the news to thousands of readers that now understand NCL is reputable and takes responsibility in the event of a mistake. Win - Win - Win which is the outcome most companies strive to reach.

Why should an individual be responsible for a mistake but a business not be responsible for a mistake? No one is saying the mistake was malicious or intentional, that is why it is a mistake. But when a mistake occurs on the part of a company, most reputable companies also take responsibility as they did here. .....

What I was pointing out is that SOMEBODY pays. Why does it matter if a one man company, or a big company?

Scenario A) If it is a one man company that makes a mistake, that person digs into their pocket and pays. It is real money out of their pocket.

Scenario B) If it was a 3 person company and the employee made a mistake and the "company" pays, the owner digs into his pocket.

Scenario C) Large company and their cover their employees mistake. They still dig into a pocket. Real money. Sure the individual shareholder may only pay less than a penny each, but it happens often. Either way, it is real money.

Somebody always pays. Folks think companies (or the city in one example), have some source of unlimited funds.

There really is no difference in scenario A, B or C.

I think you should have the balcony ca bin at the agreed upon price. I ALSO think your TA and her supevisor should be fighting with NCL FOR you and not fighting with you. She is supposed to be on your side and your representative. That is what she is paid to do.

I am very happy o read that NCL has more thanmade it right. Good ! I am a lso happy apparently your TAs finally figured out with whom they should be fighting.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by sail7seas