Review ... live from the Viking Sky!

kjbacon

Hardly the cruise from hell, just a disappointment, not what we expected.

If your children were in a deluxe veranda then they should have been able to make an early reservation for at least one specialty restaurant. In the veranda cabin, you must wait for embarkation to make any reservation in a speciality restaurant.

Sounds to me the food is beyond describing. So interested in hearing all about your excursions. We are on the Sky on January 7th same itinerary. Other cruise critics have complained about the tours being disorganized. Hope the loose strings are all tied and no rough edges.. Give us a summary of all your experiences. Much appreciation.

We are on the bus back to the ship, having just completed the included tour of Altun Ha in Belize and it was a very good tour. Tendering was flawless, buses are not perfect, but fine, and the site of the ruins was very interesting. I enjoyed the one hour drive because I really got to see Belize. We even climbed the Sun Temple! You are in for a treat.

My husband and I were also on the 12/17 Sky. Generally, we were very happy with Viking andthe Sky. We are experienced cruisers, mainly with the mainstream lines(primarily Celebrity and Holland America) as well as some of the premium andluxury lines (Azamara, Crystal and Oceania). One thing that struck us was thatthe entire crew seemed happy and welcoming to us and they all were happy to beon the ship and working for Viking. There were also a lot of repeat Vikingcruisers, both from the Ocean and River cruises.

Embarkation at the Port of Miami was very confusing, atleast as far as getting to the ship. As Lobes1 said, finding the ship wasn’teasy. Since the ship wasn’t where it was supposed to be, it was difficultfinding it and signage in Miami is not good. There was an electronic sign showingthe Viking Sea instead of Sky was at Terminal F but it flashed so quickly itwas really hard to read. It was also hard to get to where the ships were. Wecould see a Viking ship at Terminal F and had to ask the porters if it was ourship or another Viking ship. On top ofthat, when we arrived back in Miami, we docked at Terminal J. Since we drove, ourcar was parked near Terminal F…..and getting there from Terminal J wasn’t easy.We blame the port more than Viking for most of these problems.

As for the ship, she is beautiful and we loved the lightwoods and open spaces. It never seemed crowded and there was always somewhereto sit, whether you were near a bar, at the pool, or at a restaurant. Evengetting tables for 2 at the restaurant was never an issue or required a wait(something we had problems with on Oceania).

I would say the food was good but not exceptional. We arenot gourmet foodies but like good food made well. I think we ate just abouteverywhere on the ship. We didexperience some of the service issues Lobes1 described. They were happy to makesubstitutions or adjustments and always asked about food allergies.

The service teams in the Restaurant were disorganized. Theprimary waiter introduced himself and mentioned his co-workers (Co-waiters? Assistants?)but we couldn’t really tell who was supposed to be assisting us. We wereaddressed by name - thank you iPhones which were also used to take our orders.We were not rushed to order and they only asked about our dessert order when weordered our mains once (the last night). Service was slow with long waitsbetween courses.

We booked a Deluxe Veranda and were able to makereservations 60 days before sailing. We made one reservation at Manfredi’s. Weknew about the multiple menus at the Chef’s Table and weren’t sure if we wouldlike the options so we waited until we got on the ship. While touring the shipright after boarding, we saw the line at the World Café to make or change specialtyrestaurant reservations. Instead of waiting in line, we went to our room and used the TV. We couldsee the Chef’s Table menus and made our reservations right through the TV.

We went to Manfredi’s the second night and had similarservice issues. My husband asked for a ginger ale as they cleared his appetizerplate and it didn’t come until just before dessert. The waitress was veryapologetic and the Head Waiter came over and also apologized. He asked us tocome back so he could “make it right” for us. He said they were mostly bookedup but if we came any day between 6:00 and 6:30 they would find room for us.

We filled out the mid-cruise survey and mentioned theservice issues. The next morning we were in the Restaurant for breakfast andone of the waiters caught us as we were leaving and said someone wanted tospeak to us. It was one of the Head Waiters and he thanked us for our commentsand acknowledged the issues we mentioned. He repeatedly said they appreciatedthe feedback because if no one said anything, they couldn’t improve. He cameover to check on us every time we were in the Restaurant after that.

We also went to the Chef’s Table for the “La Route Des Indes”menu. It started with an amuse buche of Carrot & Cardamom Cream. It wasmuch bigger than most amuse buches we have had. The cardamom part was betterthan the carrot part. The first course was Spicy Tuna Tataki which was good.This was followed by a Ginger & Tarragon granite that we liked. The maincourse was Beef Tenderloin with Four Warm Spices (Spanish paprika, cumin,coriander, and cinnamon). It was nicely done. Dessert was Apple Delice FaconTarte Tatin which was also very good.

We did the included tour to Altun Ha in Belize which wasgood and very well organized. There were about 35 people on the tour and whenwe got to Altun Ha, we split into 3 groups of 10-12 people. We did an optionaltour of Mexican Street Food in Progresso/Merida which was very interesting. Therewere 14 people on the tour which was the perfect size for a tour of this type.The guide was very knowledgeable and also gave us a running commentary aboutProgresso, Merida and Mexico in general. The only drawback was the trip throughthe market. Being only a few days before Christmas, the market was very crowdedand we had trouble staying together.

Overall, we were very happy with the cruise and willprobably cruise with Viking Ocean again. We did book a river cruise for nextyear.

Thanks for the reminder of using the TV to book resevations for Chef Table and Manfredi.

Food is so subjective. Your review of the chef table menu and another poster on different thread above, are night and day. :).

I do want to try the Chef Table menus.

Thanks for taking time to post your review and experience of sailing on the Viking Sky.

I am very eager for my upcoming sailing. I have only sailed with Celebrity and now moving on...

We tried the Nordic Bistro menu at the Chefs Table last night. The Sweet and Salty menu is still in first place for us. I opted out of the Reindeer Consommé with Ravioli but my husband says it was delicious. I made a point to check out the other diners and it seems to have been a success. We did not care for the bread and aren’t sure if ours was overdone or if that is the style of this particular bread. The Salmon course was very good with lots of cucumber, fresh dill, and caviar garnish. Granita was made of beet, topped with an orange cucumber foam, very refreshing and delicious. We were not fans of the main course, lamb and cabbage which are two of our favorites. For our taste, the dish was overcooked and too salty but we got the impression that this was the traditional method of cooking this dish. Before I get to dessert, I should mention that the wine pairings were especially good with this menu, including the best rose’ we’ve tried yet and a full bodied red that felt like velvet on my tongue!! The dessert course was our favorite course. The Sesame Ice Cream (yes, sesame) served on the Panna Cotta was uniquely scrumptious and the whole dish worked together beautifully.

Today, we are in Roatán and look forward to some great snorkeling and another memorable day!

One of our favorite spots on the ship is the Explorers Lounge. It’s so comfortable and inviting, we aren’t sure why it isn’t more crowded. We’ve met new friend there and enjoyed excellent cocktails. That’s where I had my very first martini! Our favorite bartenders are here and we think it’s the very best way to end the evening.

One of our favorite spots on the ship is the Explorers Lounge. It’s so comfortable and inviting, we aren’t sure why it isn’t more crowded. We’ve met new friend there and enjoyed excellent cocktails. That’s where I had my very first martini! Our favorite bartenders are here and we think it’s the very best way to end the evening.

Our favorite place also

... the wine pairings were especially good with this menu, including the best rose’ we’ve tried yet and a full bodied red that felt like velvet on my tongue!!

Would you happen to know what this red wine was? Sounds like it's worth pursuing. Thanks.

Picture courtesy of Peregrina and my husband! Scallops courtesy of The Chef’s Table!

47a7cc06b3127cce98548a72db5b0000001810kYYsmzZy5Ysl

Okay, now downoad the Sfly app to your phone and you can upload from your phone directly to an album (while you are eating) and by the time you finish dinner it will waiting for you to post here.

Okay, now downoad the Sfly app to your phone and you can upload from your phone directly to an album (while you are eating) and by the time you finish dinner it will waiting for you to post here.

We loved the chef’s table , so your photo is making my stomach growl

I wish I could agree with the OP. We were on the Viking Sky on the cruise just before his, 12/17-12/24. We have been sailing on Crystal for several years, and although we had many great experiences, we were becoming tired of their menus, which seemed to be recycled every few weeks. The one week Viking Caribbean cruise seemed to be an ideal one to share with our adult children, who could not take off for more than one week.

I agree that the Viking Sky is a beautiful ship. The staterooms and the public areas are fantastic. The beds are very comfortable. The elevators seem to arrive in seconds. The in-room televisions are amazing, although they were non-functional for one day.

Unfortunately, that is where the positives end. Problems started at embarkation. All of us received paperwork indicating that we would embark at Miami Cruise Terminal J. No, the ship was actually at cruise terminal F, where the signage indicated that it was the Viking Sea. Check in was very smooth and efficient, although one of the porters hit my son up for a tip, indicating that it was required. My son had never been on a cruise ship, and gave him a generous tip. Not Viking's fault? Possibly, but a cruise line often using this terminal should have some control over the conduct of the port staff.

After boarding, we went to the bar and, as suggested by a Cruise Critic posting, asked to compare the included wines with those in the Silver Beverage Package before we decided to purchase the package. "Sorry, the included wines are only available in the dining room."

Our children (age 30 and 36) had not been permitted to make specialty restaurant reservations, because they were in a Deluxe Veranda stateroom, and we made our reservations on short notice. We were in a Veranda Penthouse and made the restaurant reservations for the two of us a month before the cruise. After embarkation, we promptly went to the World Cafe to change our reservations to a table for four. Although it was a busy embarkation day, only one of the two computer terminals there was staffed, and we were forced to wait in line for a half hour before being told that none of the early reservation times were available for a group of four. Bad start.

We had dinner that evening at the Chef's Table. The food was underwhelming, at best. The entree was called "Peking duck", but it was so dry that it tasted like cardboard. The "paired wines" were of poor quality, as were all the wines we tried, even with the Silver Beverage package." We are not wine connoisseurs, but these wines were just so disappointing. Some research reveled that they were available ashore for $5-$6 a bottle.In every restaurant, it seemed to take forever, first to find the wine steward (If thereare any trained sommeliers, we never encountered one.), place our order, and then wait for the wine steward to find the bottle. I timed it one time, 25 minutes from being seated to receiving our beverages. It was that way every evening.

Service in the dining room was mechanical, at best. We sat down, received menus, and then were asked to order, even if we had not had the opportunity to order our wine, much less sample it. We were expected to order our dessert when ordering our entrees, which seemed strange. We were served by multiple wait-staff at each meal and found it difficult to find any staff if there were issues during the meal. Requests for smaller portions or multiple appetizers were often ignored. On one occasion. my son said he would like to order several appetizers for the table to share. He was told no, each person had to order his own appetizer. Some food was served luke warm or cold. Lamb was ordered medium-rare, and it arrived well done. Steaks were tough. I could go on and on.

Room service was no better. Eggs were served without salt or pepper on one occasion. When we received them, salt shakers were always clogged, so that one could only obtain salt by removing the filler plug at the bottom. Orders were often incorrectly filled. On one occasion, pancakes and eggs were ordered.Only the eggs arrived. Another time, boiled eggs that were never ordered arrived with our breakfast.

Beverage service at the pool was non-existent. In one week, I was never asked if I wished to order a drink at poolside. At the bars, service was slow. I do not expect to wait ten minutes or longer at the bar before my order is taken.

We had toured a Viking ship recently when we were on another cruise line, and were docked next to the Viking ship. We were so impressed with the appearance of the like new ship that we planned to schedule all of our future vacations with Viking. After our this cruise, however, we would never consider another Viking vacation. It is really a shame, because they seem to have so much potential.

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. My friend was on the same cruise and ship and didn't encounter any problems that you listed.

Can I please ask you a question? I want to know when you first booked your cruise, shall I book the Chefs Table how far in advance if I am leaving in 2019? When shall I do this? Also are all the other dinners on the ocean cruise different from each restaurant? Like Italian, or French? Do they have specialty Steaks and Fresh Fish dinners? Are they all included in the price or do you have to pay more from your cabin to get these extra fun things? thanks.

In a word: fabulous! We boarded yesterday, embarkation approached flawless. Sail away was breathtaking, no loud music or annoying announcements, no bingo or art auction advertising. The ship is understated and unpretentious elegance, absolutely perfect for us. Love our room and we slept so well in our very comfortable bed. Staff is second to none. We signed up for the Silver Beverage Package and already have found it to be well worth it ... had my first Martini yesterday and it won’t be my last! Dinner in the Chef’s Table was outstanding; it was our favorite dining spot on our first Viking cruise and is on track to be again. We have reservations for all 5 menus, some new ones from last year. The upgraded wine pairings are well worth it. More later!

Can I please ask you a question? I want to know when you first booked your cruise, shall I book the Chefs Table how far in advance if I am leaving in 2019? When shall I do this? Also are all the other dinners on the ocean cruise different from each restaurant? Like Italian, or French? Do they have specialty Steaks and Fresh Fish dinners? Are they all included in the price or do you have to pay more from your cabin to get these extra fun things? thanks.

You apparently have not looked on the Viking website for any of these answers.

Peregrina .... how do you get the URL for the picture on your phone?

Sweet Tea two ... when you book, you will be given the information of how many reservations and how far in advance you can book restaurants, based on your category of stateroom. Once your board the ship, you can make more reservations. There is also an Italian restaurant called Manfredis.

Peregrina .... how do you get the URL for the picture on your phone?

Sweet Tea two ... when you book, you will be given the information of how many reservations and how far in advance you can book restaurants, based on your category of stateroom. Once your board the ship, you can make more reservations. There is also an Italian restaurant called Manfredis.

In June on the Star, I had no problems booking at the speciality restaurants. You just need to be flexible

Sweet tea two,

The higher category cabin you book entitles you to book restaurants and tours sooner. All restaurants are free of charge. One included tour per Port is free of charge.

The Chefs Table menu rotates every 3 days and the cuisine style varies (ie Asian, French, Nordic,etc). Manfreddi’s is listed as Italian but has the BEST steak you will ever get in a restaurant. I mean it the BEST! The Restaurant (Main Dining Room) offers a variety of cuisine every night. The World Cafe (buffet) sometimes offers a fresh fish grill off the back area depending on what fresh seafood they are able to source. They also often offer sushi, king crab legs, etc in the buffet. There are several other eating venues that are smaller and more casual.

Don’t worry about booking in the specialty restaurants. If you are flexible on dining time, you can generally add on extra reservations while on board. This way you can see what the menu is at the Chefs Table and plan accordingly.

Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from the included tour in Costa Rica and it was fabulous. It was very organized, great modern buses, excellent tour guide, and the river trip was amazing ... saw so much wildlife including a sloth, monkeys, toucans, lizards, herons, and more. The lush vegetation was gorgeous; we had the best time!! I should mention that we did our own private snorkeling tour in Roatan and that was a great trip too.

We just returned from the included tour in Costa Rica and it was fabulous. It was very organized, great modern buses, excellent tour guide, and the river trip was amazing ... saw so much wildlife including a sloth, monkeys, toucans, lizards, herons, and more. The lush vegetation was gorgeous; we had the best time!! I should mention that we did our own private snorkeling tour in Roatan and that was a great trip too.

Wow, it sounds like you really had a great time

Read the FAQ. A lot of your question will be covered there.

Reservations for the two specialty restaurants open 60 to 90 days prior to sailing, depending on your cabin category. Similar set up with shore excursions.

ALL food in all venues is free except for caviar.

Nightly menu includes local specialties, 3 always available entrees. Chef's Table is a fixed menu that changes every 3rd day. Manfredi's is all Italian with the same menu every night.

Sounds great!

Peregrina and others re posting pictures to cc forum. There are a number of ways to do it. You can post your pictures to a photo site like Shutterfly or SmugMug and insert the URL into your forum posting. And yes SmugMug is a paid subscription service but only to you posting your own pictures to it; anybody can view your pictures - no different than Shutterfly. Or if you have a mobile device with internet access (smartphone, iPad, etc) you can install the CC Forum app on it and upload your pictures from your mobile device directly to the forum. If your pictures are on a “real” camera, e.g., a Nikon, you’ll need a way to copy the pix from the camera’s SD card to the mobile device and from there to the forum app. When you’re at home and working off a desktop computer you can upload pictures directly from your computer to the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums