Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Chartrav I can read it on my phone and my tablet. Mine are Samsung. Can see the pictures too.

You're right. It works. Just have to be patient with the less than stellar broadband available onboard. Not the 150-160Mbps we get at home. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had the Crossing the Line ceremony yesterday. A bright sunny day for a change. As we crossed the Equator, the Captain and Cruise director introduced crew dressed as the King of the Seas and other Vikings. Well done and lots of fun as us Pollywogs were converted to Shellbacks. Crew who were initiated were charged with various "crimes" such as the General Manager being charged with endlessly showing cricket on the tv instead of the NFL playoffs (to big cheers) and the passengers were charged with "too many crimes to list". After being determined "guilty" all then paraded before the "Vikings" to kiss a fish, jump in the pool, and take a drink of Aquavit. All good fun. Last night we had certificates of the crossing delivered to our rooms. A great souvenir. This trip has several touchstones for mariners. Not only will we cross the Equator again northbound, we cross the International Date line (and lose a day) finally docking in Greenwich England, location of the Prime Meridian or 0 degrees longitude. 180 degrees from the International Date Line. Rumor has it we are docking off an island in French Polynesia tonight and we are scheduled to meet the Pilot at 7am tomorrow for the island of Nuku Hiva. All are ready to go exploring. The sea days were welcome at first in order to adjust to the ship and meet fellow passengers. Now it is time to explore. More later. :cool:

Hello all you World Cruisers!! We so enjoyed the first segment from Miami to LA. What a wonderful ship, a wonderful crew (Elvis, Gladys, Risto, Zsolt, Liselle, Miko - to name a few, lots of fun people, and the weather could not have been better. I am spoiled for any other cruise experience. I am reading all your posts and wishing so much we could be seeing all the things you will all be seeing. Keep those posts coming so we can "see" the sights too. Have fun. Take it all in. Happy travels!!!:D:ship:<3 As Heather et al were fond of saying, "be travelers, not tourists."

Had the Crossing the Line ceremony yesterday. A bright sunny day for a change. As we crossed the Equator, the Captain and Cruise director introduced crew dressed as the King of the Seas and other Vikings. Well done and lots of fun as us Pollywogs were converted to Shellbacks. Crew who were initiated were charged with various "crimes" such as the General Manager being charged with endlessly showing cricket on the tv instead of the NFL playoffs (to big cheers) and the passengers were charged with "too many crimes to list". After being determined "guilty" all then paraded before the "Vikings" to kiss a fish, jump in the pool, and take a drink of Aquavit. All good fun. Last night we had certificates of the crossing delivered to our rooms. A great souvenir. This trip has several touchstones for mariners. Not only will we cross the Equator again northbound, we cross the International Date line (and lose a day) finally docking in Greenwich England, location of the Prime Meridian or 0 degrees longitude. 180 degrees from the International Date Line. Rumor has it we are docking off an island in French Polynesia tonight and we are scheduled to meet the Pilot at 7am tomorrow for the island of Nuku Hiva. All are ready to go exploring. The sea days were welcome at first in order to adjust to the ship and meet fellow passengers. Now it is time to explore. More later. :cool:

Love hearing the report. And can’t wait to hear all about adventures ashore. And, Whoo Hoo, We did it. We just booked WC 2019! Thanks for earlier help with my questions.

Love hearing the report. And can’t wait to hear all about adventures ashore. And, Whoo Hoo, We did it. We just booked WC 2019! Thanks for earlier help with my questions.

Congratulations! A great itinerary next year.😎🍸🎉

655fa55c7eebae1a94d62d5f12994e8f.jpg

A picture of the Beautiful Mermaid at the celebration!

You will have to pay for it but order a second passport . We are finding that many times you need to show your passport but I don’t want to show or expose the other countries you are visiting , that’s where you show the second passport (the one without the visas in them) . I would hate to travel all the way to Australia and have something get spilled on their entry visa and not be able to get off the ship. I think there’s only one or two you need for the next WC .

Wow! You can get a second passport! Learned something new! We just renewed ours so does it run concurrently to those?

Anchored off Taiohae, Nuku Hiva Island, Marquesas, French Polynesia. Strange to see land after 8 days of nothing but water. Not another land mass not even a ship. The Pacific is one BIG ocean. And we still have a lot more to cross but stops will come more frequently now. The weather has been tropical perfect. Sunny and warm. One thing I have noticed with sunny sea days in the tropics is that the sun is very intense here near the equator. We are from Arizona so are used to lots of hot sun but we got scorched in less than an hour by the pool. There is a major need for umbrellas at the pool areas. Both pool area loungers are in full sun. The midships pool has some loungers shaded during parts of the day and shaded loungers with fabric cushions which you would not want to sit on with wet suits. I hope Viking considers umbrellas as we have had on other lines which makes the pool side experience much better. Mostly the ship is very well thought out and the crew are doing a great job keeping all the areas clean. Heading ashore to see what we can see. Will be weird not moving.:cool:

Anchored off Taiohae, Nuku Hiva Island, Marquesas, French Polynesia. Strange to see land after 8 days of nothing but water. Not another land mass not even a ship. The Pacific is one BIG ocean. And we still have a lot more to cross but stops will come more frequently now. The weather has been tropical perfect. Sunny and warm. One thing I have noticed with sunny sea days in the tropics is that the sun is very intense here near the equator. We are from Arizona so are used to lots of hot sun but we got scorched in less than an hour by the pool. There is a major need for umbrellas at the pool areas. Both pool area loungers are in full sun. The midships pool has some loungers shaded during parts of the day and shaded loungers with fabric cushions which you would not want to sit on with wet suits. I hope Viking considers umbrellas as we have had on other lines which makes the pool side experience much better. Mostly the ship is very well thought out and the crew are doing a great job keeping all the areas clean. Heading ashore to see what we can see. Will be weird not moving.:cool:

ebbe79c38442c66c711b0f168cc7db5d.jpg4c784488a5057c4b3f62fcbc164a12bf.jpgdaa52806aa23f26ef06d7863b5b3d0c5.jpg3afc4e8bbbb1d3f44d5a8d60e52b9774.jpg

We have nothing but praise for both Viking Ocean and everyone who puts in so many hours making our WORLD CRUISE something special. From the Cuban Experience, to the Crossing the Equator Celebrations, to making sure we had NFL playoffs on the Large Screen In the pool area. Viking and their Employees deserve a “HUGE THANK YOU! “

And thank you all for taking time out of your very special journey to post such beautiful pictures and share some of your thoughts as your travel the world on this cruise of lifetime.

Enjoy all your posts and GO VIKINGS!:D

And thank you all for taking time out of your very special journey to post such beautiful pictures and share some of your thoughts as your travel the world on this cruise of lifetime.

Enjoy all your posts and GO VIKINGS!:D

Yes, thank you to those who are sharing the experience through CC. I am sure there are many like me checking for updates every day and enjoying each and every one. The photos really add an extra dimension. Stay safe, and enjoy the trip.

Wow! You can get a second passport! Learned something new! We just renewed ours so does it run concurrently to those?

"The State Department will OK your second passport if you sent your original away to get a visa for one country but are planning to travel to another in the interim. For example, say you’re going to Belgium, where no visa is necessary, but then plan to go Vietnam, one of 41 countries with a visa program that requires you to send your passport in the mail to one of its consulates or drop it off in person. (Brazil, China, and Russia are the other main tourist destinations on the list.)"

And,

"The application process for a second passport is identical to the original, except you’ll have to prove you fall into one of the aforementioned categories. The second passport comes with its own unique number, is valid for two years (instead of ten), and can be renewed just like your primary passport. It costs the same $170 fee as your first passport. Plan on four to six weeks for the process unless you use a passport concierge to speed things along."

Eaches, beautiful pix. I have not yet mastered the insertion of pictures to CC posts. Mine always show as thumbnails. What am I doing wrong? I just don't seem to get the "official" directions. BTW, DW Lois managed to find a necklace on Nuku Hiva that was "necessary". :eek: She can always find the good stuff. Good news is it only cost $2,500 PF ($25).:cool: A sea day today and bright and sunny. I need to avoid the sun some for a few days as I am a bit "crunchy". I second Eaches comments about the crew. Every single one we have been around has been excellent. Our cabin attendant is tops. Never had such a consistently clean cabin. She even cleans the balcony glass each day. We never have a spot on any glass or mirrors. Amazing considering the (one of us) slob that lives in the room. ;p;p

Eaches, beautiful pix. I have not yet mastered the insertion of pictures to CC posts. Mine always show as thumbnails. What am I doing wrong? I just don't seem to get the "official" directions. BTW, DW Lois managed to find a necklace on Nuku Hiva that was "necessary". :eek: She can always find the good stuff. Good news is it only cost $2,500 PF ($25).:cool: A sea day today and bright and sunny. I need to avoid the sun some for a few days as I am a bit "crunchy". I second Eaches comments about the crew. Every single one we have been around has been excellent. Our cabin attendant is tops. Never had such a consistently clean cabin. She even cleans the balcony glass each day. We never have a spot on any glass or mirrors. Amazing considering the (one of us) slob that lives in the room. ;p;p

Aboard the Viking Sun!

We will miss this special crew, many of them are the best from other Viking ships. We will loose both our cabin attendants in March ( in Hong Kong) because they are returning home for vacation time before opening the Orion . We will miss them both but they work so hard so time ashore is well deserved!

"The State Department will OK your second passport if you sent your original away to get a visa for one country but are planning to travel to another in the interim. For example, say you’re going to Belgium, where no visa is necessary, but then plan to go Vietnam, one of 41 countries with a visa program that requires you to send your passport in the mail to one of its consulates or drop it off in person. (Brazil, China, and Russia are the other main tourist destinations on the list.)"

And,

"The application process for a second passport is identical to the original, except you’ll have to prove you fall into one of the aforementioned categories. The second passport comes with its own unique number, is valid for two years (instead of ten), and can be renewed just like your primary passport. It costs the same $170 fee as your first passport. Plan on four to six weeks for the process unless you use a passport concierge to speed things along."

And there dies my dream of having a second in-case-of-Emergency passport.

Wouldn’t it be nice to carry one copy on you at all times yet have another back in he safe in your rooms?

And there dies my dream of having a second in-case-of-Emergency passport.

Wouldn’t it be nice to carry one copy on you at all times yet have another back in he safe in your rooms?

Ah - sigh - but the possibilities for fraud.....and enabling others with not so honest intentions.....[emoji17]

Another beautiful sea day halfway between The Marquesas and Tahiti. There are no annoying announcements on board just important messages and the Noon position report from the Captain. He always refers to himself as “your designated driver “. The Captain and officers are visible and approachable. Our wonderful cabin attendant is going home from Auckland so I guess we will have to break in another.👀😎