Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

Hi Jim and Lois! Looks like a fabulous trip of a lifetime! I’m on SeaDream now and all is great. A fun group of people and an even better roomie! Heehee! I just love being here. Cheers and Enjoy!

Robin

It is a great trip so far. Been ashore in the Kingdom of Tonga. Beautiful spot in the South Pacific. Was surprised by a Tongan giving me a Roll Tide when he saw my Alabama hat. 😎

It is a great trip so far. Been ashore in the Kingdom of Tonga. Beautiful spot in the South Pacific. Was surprised by a Tongan giving me a Roll Tide when he saw my Alabama hat. [emoji41]

fcc944faeb3b3a4a13c4ed16df10103e.jpg845030622b45026e667df7cbdbfa0366.jpg9564ea9f4c6c6aab224b4b90f9516dfe.jpg80ea3331223b8e5e7ed1823e2c279d7f.jpg

Spent the morning in Tonga, which was very interesting to say the least, only to come back to the welcoming of the Viking and the Sun to Tonga . We had all the local officials present including the PM of Tonga to exchange gifts. Very nice and the local dancers (in the pictures) helped making this an event no one will forget!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wonderful touch of hospitality with the exchange of gifts from officials of Tonga.

What gift did the captain give to the local officials?

Loving all your posts and of course the pictures of this beautiful, exotic part of the world.

Great tonic while being snow bound by 10 inches of snow with the the lingering effects of a wicked cold.

Better than reading Mody Dick or Munity on the Bounty.

Wonderful touch of hospitality with the exchange of gifts from officials of Tonga.

What gift did the captain give to the local officials?

Loving all your posts and of course the pictures of this beautiful, exotic part of the world.

Great tonic while being snow bound by 10 inches of snow with the the lingering effects of a wicked cold.

Better than reading Mody Dick or Munity on the Bounty.

Thank you - just think I think we have many more days to explore!

Currently approaching dock in Suva, Fiji. Looks interesting from the veranda. DW has been fighting off the chesty crud (bad cough) that has been circulating around the ship. The Dr. onboard seems first rate and she is rallying and ready to go ashore. Very soon our voyage starts to be much more port intensive so all onboard need to "shape up" and get over whatever the bug is. Lots to see and do in the next couple of weeks. As mentioned before, the Pacific Ocean is vast and there are but limited choices for stops so lots of sea days are inevitable for any sea crossing. We generally love a good sea day but after a bunch we get a bit antsy. Just wait though. After NZ/Australia I will be complaining about not having a restful sea day........;p:cool:

Currently approaching dock in Suva, Fiji. Looks interesting from the veranda. DW has been fighting off the chesty crud (bad cough) that has been circulating around the ship. The Dr. onboard seems first rate and she is rallying and ready to go ashore. Very soon our voyage starts to be much more port intensive so all onboard need to "shape up" and get over whatever the bug is. Lots to see and do in the next couple of weeks. As mentioned before, the Pacific Ocean is vast and there are but limited choices for stops so lots of sea days are inevitable for any sea crossing. We generally love a good sea day but after a bunch we get a bit antsy. Just wait though. After NZ/Australia I will be complaining about not having a restful sea day........;p:cool:

1cc9afafa7a18bbdc2182c0dc82b2fe7.jpgf6046a8e04ccec8d5413c47d05ea653f.jpgd10c8ff23f3b7d86843b92e79f72c423.jpg

We’re sorry Jim’DW has run into the Pacific Crud. It’s not easily shaken ! Enclosed are photos of the anchorage in Suva and one of ship that didn’t quite make it .

Jim,

Is the Dr. testing for the flu?

I was on the MIA-LA segment and had the chest crud for the last 2/3 of the trip. I went to the on board clinic and the doctor said I had a cold, did not test for flu. I went to my doctor when I got home. He tested me and I had a “severe, well developed case of the flu.” I was prescribed a Z-pack and Tamiflu and a week later I was better.

The doctor was nice but he really misdiagnosed my flu.

Jim,

Is the Dr. testing for the flu?

I was on the MIA-LA segment and had the chest crud for the last 2/3 of the trip. I went to the on board clinic and the doctor said I had a cold, did not test for flu. I went to my doctor when I got home. He tested me and I had a “severe, well developed case of the flu.” I was prescribed a Z-pack and Tamiflu and a week later I was better.

The doctor was nice but he really misdiagnosed my flu.

DW says not tested for flu but she thought the DR was very thorough. Diagnosed ear/sinus infection and the drainage causing the cough. Says her lungs are clear. Rx was antibiotics and decongestants. Seems to be working. Glands are no longer swollen. She was never achy or feverish. Not sure about the other hackers on board. The crud still seems to be with us....:eek:

DW more on the mend. Another pleasant sea day. I know, beginning to sound like a broken record but maybe some others onboard will chip in. On these days we wake when we like. Might have the better than most in room coffee or toddle down to the Viking Bar for latte and a pastry to go. Once ready, we walk down to the gym for some “Sweatin With The Oldies” (Where is Richard Simmons when you need him?). After that maybe hang out at the Pool Deck or aft Pool Deck. Gee, how did it get time for lunch? Problem is choosing where to eat? Work that out and eat and it might be time to clean up for the evening early or just head back to the pool for cocktails. In just no time you have to start thinking about where/what might fit in for the evening meal and activities. Exhausting as you can see. No wonder we hit the sack early and are asleep after just a few pages in that good book. And tomorrow they expect us to do it all over again.;p:cool:

Who are the lecturer s on board? What have you all learned from their presentations that helped you understand this part of the world?

Have you seen the Southern Cross in the night sky?

Yes to the Southern Cross. Entirely different sky than I learned for work with Celestial Navigation in the Northern Hemisphere. Will let others opine on the lecturers. I am fairly underwhelmed. :cool:

DW more on the mend. Another pleasant sea day. I know, beginning to sound like a broken record but maybe some others onboard will chip in. On these days we wake when we like. Might have the better than most in room coffee or toddle down to the Viking Bar for latte and a pastry to go. Once ready, we walk down to the gym for some “Sweatin With The Oldies” (Where is Richard Simmons when you need him?). After that maybe hang out at the Pool Deck or aft Pool Deck. Gee, how did it get time for lunch? Problem is choosing where to eat? Work that out and eat and it might be time to clean up for the evening early or just head back to the pool for cocktails. In just no time you have to start thinking about where/what might fit in for the evening meal and activities. Exhausting as you can see. No wonder we hit the sack early and are asleep after just a few pages in that good book. And tomorrow they expect us to do it all over again.;p:cool:

No Team Trivia at noon on the Sea Days?? I found them to be an absolute blast on our Panama Canal & Central America cruise last week. And the variation last Friday (guess what the majority of folks think is true ) followed by the "Liars Club" last Saturday night was a howl. [emoji1]

Yes to the Southern Cross. Entirely different sky than I learned for work with Celestial Navigation in the Northern Hemisphere. Will let others opine on the lecturers. I am fairly underwhelmed. :cool:

Whats cool of the Southern Cross to I? Well in my lifetime I've only been under it around 30 days. Enough said.

DW says not tested for flu but she thought the DR was very thorough. Diagnosed ear/sinus infection and the drainage causing the cough. Says her lungs are clear. Rx was antibiotics and decongestants. Seems to be working. Glands are no longer swollen. She was never achy or feverish. Not sure about the other hackers on board. The crud still seems to be with us....:eek:

I wonder how many of our fellow cruiser got their required shots and their FLU SHOTS prior to getting on the World Cruise ? I bet not many - prove me wrong !

There are 6 of us traveling from Michigan and everyone but my husband got one. He can’t because of medical history.

Jim we haven’tt Been able to find the southern cross..how about an after drink in the explorers lounge on a clear night and you can lead some star gazing? I will even buy your drink. We love the included drink package.

There was a medical evacuation of a crew member this evening by helicopter....we missed it as we were in the theatre listening to a lecture. I do not know any details yet....I am sure the coconut telephone will work tomorrow.

Jim we haven’tt Been able to find the southern cross..how about an after drink in the explorers lounge on a clear night and you can lead some star gazing? I will even buy your drink. We love the included drink package.

There was a medical evacuation of a crew member this evening by helicopter....we missed it as we were in the theatre listening to a lecture. I do not know any details yet....I am sure the coconut telephone will work tomorrow.

Hi deec. Yes, the medievac created quite a stir. We were in the Aft Bar and could see pretty well through the windows. Lift went off perfectly. We have heard through the telegraph that it was one of the Chinese laundry crew who had a heart attack and they airlifted him to hospital in Russel. And that's all I have heard for now.

As far as drinking and stargazing, count me in! The main trouble is finding a dark place away from the loom of other lights. Very hard to do on this ship. If you do happen to find good dark conditions, look to the South (naturally) and two of the 4 stars are among the brightest in the sky. It forms a "kite" shape. There is a nearby formation also of 4 stars that forms more of a "X" cross, known as the False Cross". On the Southern Cross the longest arm of the cross points downward and, if extended, points almost directly at the South Pole.

Yesterday was fun in Russell, Bay of Islands, NZ. A beautiful part of the world full of nicely kept businesses, homes, yacht clubs. We went and saw the Glowworm Cave. Interesting but too much time on a bus for 30 minutes of worm time......:eek: Today and tomorrow we are in Auckland and plan to mooch about on our own. There is a highly recommended hop on hop off bus service with a stop very near the port. Have to hunt for supplies as well as lookabout. Amazing. We brought tons of stuff but seem to be out of a few things. At least we can read the labels in NZ. Have a good day all...:cool:

Looking forward to hearing how it went on your own, and buying supplies. We love HOHO buses. And, a goodplace to buy supplies on day 62 of our WC next year, half way through...

The HOHO busses were great. Very clean and new. Hit all the big sights as well as a mall. Got all the supplies we were looking for as well as good Mexican food right near the docks. In all my travels in all the years Auckland is the first place I feel I might actually enjoy living in. A remarkably clean and friendly city. We are here overnight so have some plans for mooch about again tomorrow. :cool:

Thank you! I have all this info on my WC calendar. I think you are from Arizona, and we from Santa Fe, so don’t know about Mexican food in NZ. But... watching the Grammys, and just saw Reba MacIntire as the new Colonel Sanders for KFC.. anything is possible...!