This is either really funny or kinda sad...

Swells1

Karen?:

These US Americans, smh

I cringe listening to that. I also feel for the poor girl. I think her rambling, nonsensical response was more a result of serious nerves then it was necessarily a lack of knowledge. Now she will forever be known by that short clip on YouTube. :o

Still does not justify calling a highway, no matter the standard to which it is built: "Interstate", when it clearly cannot be interstate.
The Interstate System is more than just a series of connected highways.It is a design concept, with highways designed to handle high volumes of traffic safely and efficiently at freeway speeds. Moreover, the Interstate System is not limited to routes passing through two or more States. Many Interstates, such as circumferentials/beltways and spurs, are confined to one State. They are built to Interstate standards.

The fact that they carry an "H" number, rather than an "I" number differentiates them from the connected system of Interstate routes on the continental United States.

The Hawaii Omnibus Act, which President Eisenhower signed on July 12, 1960, removed the limitation in Federal-aid highway law that the Interstate System be designated only within the "continental United States" and provided for the regular apportionment of Interstate Construction (IC) funds to the State. On August 29, 1960, the BPR designated three routes, identified as H-1, H-2, and H-3.

hawaii01a.jpg

Photo of Hawaii's designated three routes, Identified as H-1, H-2, and H-3.

On November 1, 1989, the Federal Highway Administration approved the State's request for a fourth route a 4.1-mile section of Moanalua Freeway/State Route 78 that had been upgraded to Interstate standards without Interstate Construction funds. It was assigned the temporary number H-1-A, but was numbered H-201 on December 8, 1990. The Hawaii Department of Transportation initially chose not to display the number on the route, but has posted signs.

Alaska and Puerto Rico also have Interstate highways. Under Title 23, United States Code, Section 103, the BPR/FHWA designated four routes totaling 1,082 miles of Interstate highways in Alaska. Puerto Rico's three Interstate highways total 250 miles.

Unlike the mileage in Hawaii, the mileage in Alaska and Puerto Rico is exempt from meeting Interstate design standards. Section 103 ©(1)(B)(ii) states that these routes "shall be designed in accordance with such geometric and construction standards as are adequate for current and probable future traffic demands and the needs of the locality of the highway." Alaska's Interstate highways are designated A-1, A-2, A-3, and A-4, while Puerto Rico's routes are designated PRI-1, PRI-2, and PRI-3.

Oh my gosh!! You all are cracking me up!!

So, I’ll throw my 18 year old into the funny jar...

We gave her a choice of several itineraries for her high school graduation gift. She chose the one that went to Puerto Rico. A couple months after booking she mentioned how she was excited to see the country that her best friend is from. I cracked up and explained that Bella is from Costa Rica ... not Puerto Rico! Lol guess we’re going to see what PR is all about (if anything’s left of it). At least we’re on RCC’s Oasis of the Seas so shore excursions aren’t a huge priority!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my gosh!! You all are cracking me up!!

So, I’ll throw my 18 year old into the funny jar...

We gave her a choice of several itineraries for her high school graduation gift. She chose the one that went to Puerto Rico. A couple months after booking she mentioned how she was excited to see the country that her best friend is from. I cracked up and explained that Bella is from Costa Rica ... not Puerto Rico! Lol guess we’re going to see what PR is all about (if anything’s left of it). At least we’re on RCC’s Oasis of the Seas so shore excursions aren’t a huge priority!!

LOL, Not even close, may need to work on listening and geography;p

1966...stopped by State Troopers in a road block, NY or Michigan, can't recall......three of us, I'm driving....Canadian car, Australian driver's lic.

Guy looks at my lic, 'State of Victoria', starts thumbing through huge book, Vermont, Virginia...told him it won't be in there.

LOL, State of hysteria.:cool:

The Interstate System is more than just a series of connected highways.It is a design concept, with highways designed to handle high volumes of traffic safely and efficiently at freeway speeds. Moreover, the Interstate System is not limited to routes passing through two or more States. Many Interstates, such as circumferentials/beltways and spurs, are confined to one State. They are built to Interstate standards.

The fact that they carry an "H" number, rather than an "I" number differentiates them from the connected system of Interstate routes on the continental United States.

The Hawaii Omnibus Act, which President Eisenhower signed on July 12, 1960, removed the limitation in Federal-aid highway law that the Interstate System be designated only within the "continental United States" and provided for the regular apportionment of Interstate Construction (IC) funds to the State. On August 29, 1960, the BPR designated three routes, identified as H-1, H-2, and H-3.

hawaii01a.jpg

Photo of Hawaii's designated three routes, Identified as H-1, H-2, and H-3.

On November 1, 1989, the Federal Highway Administration approved the State's request for a fourth route a 4.1-mile section of Moanalua Freeway/State Route 78 that had been upgraded to Interstate standards without Interstate Construction funds. It was assigned the temporary number H-1-A, but was numbered H-201 on December 8, 1990. The Hawaii Department of Transportation initially chose not to display the number on the route, but has posted signs.

Alaska and Puerto Rico also have Interstate highways. Under Title 23, United States Code, Section 103, the BPR/FHWA designated four routes totaling 1,082 miles of Interstate highways in Alaska. Puerto Rico's three Interstate highways total 250 miles.

Unlike the mileage in Hawaii, the mileage in Alaska and Puerto Rico is exempt from meeting Interstate design standards. Section 103 ©(1)(B)(ii) states that these routes "shall be designed in accordance with such geometric and construction standards as are adequate for current and probable future traffic demands and the needs of the locality of the highway." Alaska's Interstate highways are designated A-1, A-2, A-3, and A-4, while Puerto Rico's routes are designated PRI-1, PRI-2, and PRI-3.

Wow this is awesome info. Wasn't there somewhere in. Eisenhower's thinking that led to the interstates being wide enough and straight enough to accommodate the landing of large aircraft?

Wow this is awesome info. Wasn't there somewhere in. Eisenhower's thinking that led to the interstates being wide enough and straight enough to accommodate the landing of large aircraft?

I'm glad you found this information interesting and educational.

Edited by JimAOk1945

I suppose that would make bombing runways redundant.

I suppose the logic goes if highways are wide and long enough for aircraft to land, bombing and knocking out the Hawaiian airport runway will not shutdown air traffic coming or going. Kind of what Switzerland has in mind in designing its civil defence plan (lSome of its highways are specifically designed to land Swiss fighter planes). But let's not give crazy Kim anymore bright idea on how to attack Hawaii.

Edited by sfaaa

I wonder how many people think you need a passport to travel to New Mexico.?

On a slightly related but slightly different tack, I also wonder how many younger people are capable of reading a map since they have Google Maps on their cell phones that gives them detailed directions.

DON

My mother was born in New Mexico and it drove her crazy when people asked it she had become a US citizen.

As a good friend always says “You can’t fix stupid”.

My mother was born in New Mexico and it drove her crazy when people asked it she had become a US citizen.

As a good friend always says “You can’t fix stupid”.

As my friend says, yes you can, all it takes is a bit of lead behind the ear.;p

I'm from Wyoming.....that state everybody forgets about. Inevitably, whenever DH and I are traveling farther than a few states away, people (Americans) do not know exactly where Wyoming is. "Oh, is that by Colorado?" Why yes, yes it is....

Most of the cruise ship staff have never heard of Wyoming but we wouldn't expect them to know all of the states in a foreign country, so we just say its in the US.

When we were getting ready for our Hawaii cruise on NCL, my sister gave us an NCL gift card for Christmas. My brother exclaimed, 'you are going to Norwegia!?' I just about fell out of my chair.

Last week I was talking to a coworker about planning our British Isles cruise. I told her that airfare to Europe was really expensive. She replied, 'Europe? Aren't the British Isles in Canada?' :o

I took Geography in Jr. High and it was probably one of the most useful classes I've ever taken in my life. We studied one continent at a time and had to memorize every country, capital, major rivers, mountain ranges, etc. I don't remember every detail but I have a pretty decent grasp on world geography. Thanks, Mr. Pearson!

I had a friend from New Mexico, and I noticed sometimes if he was speaking quickly, his pronunciation of "New Mexico" came out something like "n'Mexico". It led me to think that perhaps some people just aren't hearing correctly rather than being ignorant. Or at least I'd like to think so. ;p

I'm from Wyoming.....that state everybody forgets about. Inevitably, whenever DH and I are traveling farther than a few states away, people (Americans) do not know exactly where Wyoming is. "Oh, is that by Colorado?" Why yes, yes it is....

Most of the cruise ship staff have never heard of Wyoming but we wouldn't expect them to know all of the states in a foreign country, so we just say its in the US.

When we were getting ready for our Hawaii cruise on NCL, my sister gave us an NCL gift card for Christmas. My brother exclaimed, 'you are going to Norwegia!?' I just about fell out of my chair.

Last week I was talking to a coworker about planning our British Isles cruise. I told her that airfare to Europe was really expensive. She replied, 'Europe? Aren't the British Isles in Canada?' :o

I took Geography in Jr. High and it was probably one of the most useful classes I've ever taken in my life. We studied one continent at a time and had to memorize every country, capital, major rivers, mountain ranges, etc. I don't remember every detail but I have a pretty decent grasp on world geography. Thanks, Mr. Pearson!

LOL, some nice anecdotes.

You can't learn anything if your mind is closed :)