Has anyone ever boarded mid-cruise?

loveandcruises

Because of this stupid blizzard, my husband and I are not embarking in Miami on our January 5th 9-day Southern Caribbean cruise on RCCL. Our flight from NY was canceled, and so we are flying out of JFK on Monday, January 8th to Miami and then flying from Miami to Curacao, stopping in Santo Domingo along the way. We are staying overnight in Curacao and catching the ship when it gets there on Tuesday the 9th. Unfortunately, we miss 4 days on the ship (the Navigator) and we miss my favorite port, Labadee. But hey, half a cruise is better than no cruise at all.

So my question to you is ... has anyone experienced missing a flight and boarding days later at a different port? Was it difficult? Or no big deal?

Thanks,

Debbie

Is this all pre-arranged with the cruise line? Please tell me it is.....

The cruise line told us that our travel agent had to arrange our arrival withRoyal Caribbean, but my husband and I made the flight and hotel arrangements ourselves. Why do you ask; you're worrying me.

I’ve been onboard when people have boarded late due to missed flights. Once embarkation was Rome and they boarded in Athens. The other they were supposed to board in San Diego, but got onboard in Hualtuca.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise line told us that our travel agent had to arrange our arrival withRoyal Caribbean, but my husband and I made the flight and hotel arrangements ourselves. Why do you ask; you're worrying me.

As long as your TA has been in contact with the cruise line, and they have approved your delayed boarding, then you should be fine. They'll likely send you info through your TA as to the boarding procedure, which will likely differ from the norm, since they don't normally embark passengers from that port. You can't just show up there without prior approval.

Hope your cruise will be a pleasant one, even though it's short.

I only asked because it's such an unusual situation. I would have hated to hear the follow-up story that you were denied mid-cruise embarkation because of not following procedures. Good luck with the weather, and enjoy what you can of your cruise.

P.S. I'm sorry I worried you.

I have been on many a cruise where people had to do what has happened to you.

Glad that your TA is following up with Royal for you.

So sorry this has happened. In spite of the shorter cruise I am sure you will have a great time and wish you safe travels and a wonderful cruise.

Keith

I am inclined to think that there will be many cases like this, given the many hundreds of flights from Northeast airports which were cancelled yesterday. It won't just involve people missing today's sailings: people who planned on flying two days early for tomorrow's sailings - or three days for Sunday's sailings, need to get put on replacement flights ---- and experience has shown that it takes a lot more than one day to play catch up after a day of widespread cancellations: there are only so many flights possible today and tomorrow --- and most of them were already booked solid.

They are asking because you may not be allowed to board.