Alaska- August or September

Tiggipaws

If you look on the Alaska board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

you will find tons of discussions on this topic. The later you go, the colder, wetter it gets. September can also be very windy at times...there have been major, damaging wind events several times the last few years. There is reasons the September sailings are cheaper.

I am sure someone will come along and say their weather was fine. That is good. But if you look around, you will see the damage that Noordam took last September due to winds.

Generally speaking,August gives you the best odds, but remember, it is Alaska. Weather is always a crap shoot.

"You pay your money and you take your chances" as the man once said.

Best of luck,its amazing country.

Alaska is always a gamble, but the odds are better with an August departure---the earlier in the month, the better.

I have had bad weeks in August, and what was called the 'best week all season' one September. But I have had great weeks in August, and pretty bad weather in September, too. Overall, the high season has higher prices for a reason---the weather is better then.

After our first Alaska cruise, inside passage in August 2002 out of Vancouver, a longtime Alaska resident advised me to go in June, next time. When we went back in 2016, we did go in June out of Seattle, and it was good. Actually, my wife and I are rather weather-indifferent so you should put that into your equation.

I will say that we took the whale-watch/research trip (I forget the actual name) excursion out of Juneau, and were delighted to encounter a group of whales repeatedly doing "bubble-net feeding" (google it). It was on a small boat - think: about the size of a whale - and in one encounter, the whales decided to move through our position to get to their next feeding area. Excitement, and whale halitosis. It doesn't get much better than that!

Cheers, aloha, and ... what was that?

My parents went in late September once many many years ago and the weather was a disaster. Rough seas too. I remember my Dad saying "I paid $10,000 to stand and look at a totem pole in the rain!". I never forgot it. I went in June and the weather was glorious. But it is a crap shoot from what I have heard many times. As to your question, I would go early August if it were me.

I'm sure OP has reasons for asking about August and September instead of the other months, and if those were my choices, I would pick August for the same reasons others have stated. But if OP can go another time, I did the two week cruise the first two weeks of June and we had amazing weather the whole time. We're scheduled for the same time on the three week Alaska/Pacific NW cruise next year. The only downside of that timeframe that I really noticed is that the salmon were not yet running.

August is the better choice weather wise. September is better for cost (generally) and fewer children on the cruise, plus some good shopping in the ports as places are closing down for the season.

We have been three times in Sept and did not have weather problems. One nice thing is getting up closer to the glaciers (Glacier Bay).

The cost for the June/July 2019 cruise doesn't look much different than August or September

If you can go earlier, you won't be sorry (IMHO). June (or May) is when the snow is melting and the rivers (and waterfalls) are running. We saw more wildlife on our June cruise (seals, whales) than on the one we did in September. (While we didn't personally, see any) Bears can be seen where the rivers flow into the ocean as the salmon try to swim up into the rivers and the bears catch an easy meal. Glacier Bay was spectacular in June with the sea ice and seals ... and by September all the sea ice had melted (except for the ice breaking off the glaciers of course). Whenever you go, have a great cruise.

Cheers!

Hello

Looking at sailing on the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. Any thoughts on which month would be better August or early September?

Thanks

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last summer late July and loved it. Especially Glacier Bay. One of our favorite trips ever. We sailed out of Vancouver and also spent a week prior to cruise exploring the National Park areas in Washington state. I would suggest August over September because of the weather but I think you’ll have a brilliant time whenever you go. Remember to pack layers (don’t need to bring alot of luggage as the laundry service on board is reasonably priced and you don’t dress up as much as on other cruises) but a good fleece, windbreaker/jacket, dry fit type shirts/pants, jeans, hat, gloves, scarf and you will probably enjoy the views in spite of the weather. Even on cold/rainy days we were happy to be on a deck or our balcony taking in the views as long as we were dressed comfortably for the weather. If you enjoy spas, consider buying the spa pass as you can watch the scenery from the heater loungers in there which I thought was really neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went mid August 2017. Rained several days but we still had the time of our lives. We chose August for the longer days. We fished, panned for gold, went to an old cemetery, etc. All in the rain. Highs in the mid 50's most days. We did get sunshine when we were at Glacier Bay. This was our trip of a lifetime so we made the best of each of our 7 day cruise. Sure, there would have been different experiences at another time but what mattered to us was we got to go.

We cruised in September, last of the season and the weather was fantastic and shopping was super cheap. Our land trips have been 2 in June, one in July and those too we were fortunate with the weather but we were further inland. For upcoming visit, by cruise ship, we choose June for the snow on the mountains and heavy flowing waterfalls. I just think weather can be so finicky that I would choose based on what works best for you personally. There is more to consider than weather.

I'm not sure if there are others traveling in your party, but for me it would also have to do with if I was traveling with kids -- and if I wasn't, do I like them? :confused:

I have taken my daughters on an Alaskan Cruise during summer, I just didn't happen to choose HAL that time. There are going to be many cruisers from Canada on your ship, and the kids in British Columbia go back to school the first or second week of September, right after the Labour Day weekend here. If you are going in or out of Vancouver, I would also note that the hotel prices may drop after that weekend is over. Weather-wise, it is unpredictable but generally July-August is the nicest in the Pacific Northwest and after the beginning of September the temperatures start to drop. Our weather is really unpredictable though, so as another poster said... don't make that your only consideration.

Enjoy your trip!

We did the last Alaska cruise of the season in September and I don't think I would do it again. I couldn't complain about the weather, but many of the businesses seemed to be closing down for the winter and that did somehow make a difference. We also did a cruise (the first of the season) in May. There was still snow about but I liked that, seeing I am from Australia where we see little snow, apart from in the mountains.