Marina restaurant dress code

rivieramayalover

We are on the 2/3/18 Papeete cruise and I'm wondering if my husband needs to bring a sport coat for the dinner restaurants.

I realize dress pants and shoes are required, but can he get by with button down collared dress shirts and no jacket?

From reading the dress codes, I guess he would be fine. Le Reserve seems to have more pax with coats. We tend to dress up anyway. That means we'll bring coats & ties. Better to over dress than underdress.

Spouse legaleaglegreen took his navy blue sports jacket on our first Oceania cruise almost ten years ago and happily never has again. (We will be enjoying our tenth Oceania cruise in less than two weeks.). Long-sleeved button down shirts for dinner, no tie, and all is great. Due to food allergies (my fish allergy is a real bummer) and other dietary restrictions we never have eaten at Privee or Reserve.

As Paul mentioned (after an absence from this forum for almost a year, I seem to agree with him a lot these days!), the dress code is one of the reasons we enjoy sailing on Oceania.

As Paul mentioned (after an absence from this forum for almost a year, I seem to agree with him a lot these days!), the dress code is one of the reasons we enjoy sailing on Oceania.

Welcome back Pam - glad to see you posting here and sailing Oceania again.

Not having to wear a jacket makes packing a lot easier for me.

Enjoy your cruise.

Welcome back Pam - glad to see you posting here and sailing Oceania again.

Not having to wear a jacket makes packing a lot easier for me.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, Paul. When Gerry booked it because of all the new Caribbean ports, I thought that January was a bit early in the winter for it, but after such a very cold winter already, I am more than ready for sun and sand.

On a way off tangent, does anyone have a hotel suggestion for Munich, Germany? If so, please respond by using the Contact Pam link on my signature. Oceania board regulars like Paul have provided excellent European hotel suggestions to me previously!

We just got off Riviera on Saturday and I can say that the dress on board was much more casual than I've ever seen it before. To be honest, I was disappointed to see how poorly some dressed in the evening, and the fact that they were allowed into the MDR at night wearing shorts, no collar t-shirts and other things I thought were inappropriate for Oceania's dress code. I even saw some men wearing rubber thong sandals in the MDR at night.

• Like 1

On most every Oceanla cruise I’ve been on there has always been a subset of passengers that test the dress codes at the restaurants. It has always been up to the Matre di to either enforce said dress codes or ignore them. It appears the one(s) on your cruise choose not to enforce them and that subset of passengers quickly moved to exploit their opportunity. Rather sad.

Did you question the Restaurant Manager on why they were ignoring the dress codes?

We just got off Riviera on Saturday and I can say that the dress on board was much more casual than I've ever seen it before. To be honest, I was disappointed to see how poorly some dressed in the evening, and the fact that they were allowed into the MDR at night wearing shorts, no collar t-shirts and other things I thought were inappropriate for Oceania's dress code. I even saw some men wearing rubber thong sandals in the MDR at night.

That does sound disappointing. Look on the bright side - at least those men were wearing rubber thong sandals and not rubber thongs.

• Haha 1

That does sound disappointing. Look on the bright side - at least those men were wearing rubber thong sandals and not rubber thongs.

We noticed similarly at the 4 PM Tea in the Horizons Lounge that guests would show up in swimsuits and/or no shoes. In some cases staff approached them, but in call cases they let them in. Surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We know that there is very large number of people moving up to Oceania from the mass market lines.

Just look - practically every other thread on these boards lately contains something like - “this will be my first cruise on Oceania”, etc.

Perhaps this represents a group of people new to Oceania that are more accustomed to mass market dress code (like bathing suits to tea?)

Well, um, there was a certain subset of passengers who were in near-thong bathing suits. Please, gentlemen, if your budgie smuggler is bereft of workable elastic, please keep that in your cabin, or at the very least, don't sit in the lounge chair with your knees up. Saw too much of "Ping and Pong" on this trip, and I don't think many like to see the junk out in the open, especially if the junk is over 80 years old. Then we had the young god who wore a gold lame' speedo. Lord in heaven, why, oh why?

• Haha 1

Well, um, there was a certain subset of passengers who were in near-thong bathing suits. Please, gentlemen, if your budgie smuggler is bereft of workable elastic, please keep that in your cabin, or at the very least, don't sit in the lounge chair with your knees up. Saw too much of "Ping and Pong" on this trip, and I don't think many like to see the junk out in the open, especially if the junk is over 80 years old. Then we had the young god who wore a gold lame' speedo. Lord in heaven, why, oh why?

OMG, the visions, you have us rolling in laughter!! LMAO, best one in a long time....ugh, you cannot unsee some things.

There is something a little disheartening about sitting next to someone at dinner in the MDR who is wearing a baseball cap and sloppy clothes. I don't see the MDR as a casual venue but rather a place for "dining". Personally, it takes away from the overall experience for me. Don't know if anyone else feels this way...just my two cents.

• Like 1

We prefer the Terraces which has excellent service, and similar if not the same menu options from day to day.

I agree if you prefer a dining experience with full sit-down service that the restaurant management should enforce the code they publish. Similarly not allowing sun bathers to run in to Horizons at Tea to grab some treats.

I read, on some of the boards, from CAers that flaunting the dress code is a status symbol. It means there you’ve made the status of somebody or VIP and to important to be shown the door.

The ship always has those that attempt to flaunt the dress code rules. I’ll be aboard the Nautica in just over two weeks. Will be interesting to see if Ship management opts to enforce the dress codes or not.

We shared a table at Jacques on our last Caribbean cruise with a man in his 50’s (and his totally normal wife) who wore a backward baseball cap the entire meal plus crummy clothes. He claimed he had to keep his head covered due to mental trauma as a result of his military service! (You cannot make this stuff up.)

I decided I really did not care at all what he was wearing after a few minutes because he clearly was so drunk (and this was the 6:30 seating!) that he spoke way too loudly, leaned way to close to me and strangely disappeared for such very long periods of time (for a private tipple?) that our meal took forever. It was the worst 2-1/2 hours I ever spent in an Oceania specialty.

As a result of this debacle, I only will book a table for two in any specialty.

• Like 1

Me, I would say that it is an extreme reaction. I heard of another similar story (also in Jacques) but two out of all the dinners I've read about are a pretty low percentage. Plus we've never experienced anything like this in our specialty restaurant experiences. (I'm not trying to change your mind, Pam!)

I think if we'd been your situation (very unpleasant, not doubt about that) we'd have suddenly gotten ill and left. I can't imagine spending 2-1/2 hours with such a boor. I do feel sorry for his wife, though.

Mura

• Like 1