Marina restaurant dress code

rivieramayalover

We shared a table at Jacques on our last Caribbean cruise with a man in his 50’s (and his totally normal wife) who wore a backward baseball cap the entire meal plus crummy clothes. He claimed he had to keep his head covered due to mental trauma as a result of his military service! (You cannot make this stuff up.)

I decided I really did not care at all what he was wearing after a few minutes because he clearly was so drunk (and this was the 6:30 seating!) that he spoke way too loudly, leaned way to close to me and strangely disappeared for such very long periods of time (for a private tipple?) that our meal took forever. It was the worst 2-1/2 hours I ever spent in an Oceania specialty.

As a result of this debacle, I only will book a table for two in any specialty.

Pam,

I promise to be on my best behavior when dining with you :D

I hear and read more and more about these type of things in the last 4 years than I did in my first 10 years on Oceania (roughly speaking).

Make it 3, Mura.

There was a man with a baseball cap at OUR dinner in Jacques in November. I was very surprised he was not told to remove it. Perhaps he felt that because it said "Marseille" on it, and that was where we had docked that day; and we were in a French themed restaurant, it was acceptable. Nope, not to me!

• Like 1

Make it 3, Mura.

There was a man with a baseball cap at OUR dinner in Jacques in November. I was very surprised he was not told to remove it. Perhaps he felt that because it said "Marseille" on it, and that was where we had docked that day; and we were in a French themed restaurant, it was acceptable. Nope, not to me!

Nor I. But it doesn't sound like you had the miserable experience Pam did ... hopefully his only fault was the cap?

Well, someone else said there are more of these comments in the past few years than have been seen in earlier years ... which sounds right to me as well. So I guess it is a lesson to Oceania to really enforce their own rules. They displease far more people by being lax ...

I read, on some of the boards, from CAers that flaunting the dress code is a status symbol. It means there you’ve made the status of somebody or VIP and to important to be shown the door.

The ship always has those that attempt to flaunt the dress code rules. I’ll be aboard the Nautica in just over two weeks. Will be interesting to see if Ship management opts to enforce the dress codes or not.

What is CAers?

I read, on some of the boards, from CAers that flaunting the dress code is a status symbol. It means there you’ve made the status of somebody or VIP and to important to be shown the door.

The ship always has those that attempt to flaunt the dress code rules. I’ll be aboard the Nautica in just over two weeks. Will be interesting to see if Ship management opts to enforce the dress codes or not.

That’s ridiculous. So the trick there would be to voice your displeasure to staff loud enough so that said VIP hears what a dick they are.

In any case Oceania is now 15 years old. They need to start modernizing for the next generation. The screechy violin music around the pool before noon just doesn’t cut it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Should have said CAians!

Still trying to figure out if you're referring to Californians or Canadians, either way stereotyping is not too cool.

I also don't believe they are coming from the mainstream lines as many people on them prefer dressing formal, and are disappointed that Oceania doesn't have formal nights. Formal nights are one of the things they are upset about that their favorite cruise line has done away with.

Yes, sometimes there are sloppy dressers, but they can be from anywhere.

• Like 1

Yes he can - long tailored slacks with a dress shirt is the norm but many men also wear a jacket with an open neck. Hope this helps.:cool:

We are on the 2/3/18 Papeete cruise and I'm wondering if my husband needs to bring a sport coat for the dinner restaurants.

I realize dress pants and shoes are required, but can he get by with button down collared dress shirts and no jacket?

Pam,

I promise to be on my best behavior when dining with you :D

I hear and read more and more about these type of things in the last 4 years than I did in my first 10 years on Oceania (roughly speaking).

I hope that someday we indeed will end up on the same cruise. Your posts have helped me so much over the nine years since we began cruising.

We did not leave because, quite frankly, this was our only reservation at Jacques, which, with Red Ginger, is one of my two favorite specialties. As the evening progressed, he became increasingly boisterous, and we received many many looks from the other Jacques diners.

After the meal ended, I had a very long frank discussion with the man in charge at Jacques, who apologized. I wanted to act earlier but Gerry did not want to make a fuss in front of the drunk’s wife. He is a far better person than I am!

I hope that someday we indeed will end up on the same cruise. Your posts have helped me so much over the nine years since we began cruising.

We did not leave because, quite frankly, this was our only reservation at Jacques, which, with Red Ginger, is one of my two favorite specialties. As the evening progressed, he became increasingly boisterous, and we received many many looks from the other Jacques diners.

After the meal ended, I had a very long frank discussion with the man in charge at Jacques, who apologized. I wanted to act earlier but Gerry did not want to make a fuss in front of the drunk’s wife. He is a far better person than I am!

Pam,

I am sorry to hear about your nightmarerish experience - especially so as Jacques is also my favorite. I would be VERY upset but may be on Gerry’s side (unfortunately :))

I am surprised that the Maitre d’ did not offer you an extra reservation at Jacques - poor judgment on his side (second one that night).

I do hope that our paths will cross some day.

Paul

That surprises me, too, Paul. We've received extra "makeup" reservations on one or two occasions where the problems were FAR more insignificant than what Pam experienced. I'm glad she spoke up to the maitre d'! They really should have acted sooner given this "gentleman's" shenanigans. He obviously disturbed far more people than Pam and Gerry.

Mura

Thank you. I was a little concerned when I read a previous post about sharing a table.

You CAN share. That doesn't mean you have to.

However, if you do some searches on the subject you will see that it's easier to get a table for two early or late in the evening. Let me put it another way: the advice when attempting to get additional reservations (beyond the guaranteed slots you have depending on your cabin category) is that you will have a better chance if you share a table OR go early, say at 6:30.

But if you want a table for two, it's best to make your reservations online as soon as you are eligible.

Mura

You CAN share. That doesn't mean you have to.

However, if you do some searches on the subject you will see that it's easier to get a table for two early or late in the evening. Let me put it another way: the advice when attempting to get additional reservations (beyond the guaranteed slots you have depending on your cabin category) is that you will have a better chance if you share a table OR go early, say at 6:30.

But if you want a table for two, it's best to make your reservations online as soon as you are eligible.

Mura

Thank you. We've only been on a few cruises and the 2 other lines we were on charge for their specialty restaurants so sharing a table didn't come up. Sometimes we enjoy sharing other times not so I appreciate knowing our options.

We typically always make our reservations for sharing. We have never had the problems poor Pam did, although it is always possible.

As to other comments , CA is the US abbreviation for California. I’m sorry I forgot about the number of Non US posters that may not understand that.

That surprises me, too, Paul. We've received extra "makeup" reservations on one or two occasions where the problems were FAR more insignificant than what Pam experienced. I'm glad she spoke up to the maitre d'! They really should have acted sooner given this "gentleman's" shenanigans. He obviously disturbed far more people than Pam and Gerry.

Mura

The rest of the story: we indeed were able to return to Jacques with the proviso that we once again share our table. This couple (from Tennessee, not California) were nice and normal, and we had a pleasant uneventful evening.

The rest of the story: we indeed were able to return to Jacques with the proviso that we once again share our table. This couple (from Tennessee, not California) were nice and normal, and we had a pleasant uneventful evening.

Pam,

Glad that you had another and this time a pleasant meal at Jacques.

Are you saying that the obnoxious couple was from CA? If so, it had to be SoCal :D