Marina restaurant dress code

rivieramayalover

25 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Not sure if you are informed (or not)about the situation for independent USA travelers on land in Cuba?  It is quite different than planning an independent trip to anywhere else.

Maybe you missed the line where I said that we visited Cuba on a land trip. Thus I am well informed about that topic.

While visiting Cuba is not like visiting France (in more ways than one), a land trip to Cuba, even with its limitations, will allow you to explore Cuba in “real depth” much better than a cruise will and it would seem that this is what you want.

We had 7 full days AND evenings in Cuba and while there were some scheduled events we also had plenty of time to explore on our own. While I haven’t explored visiting Cuba on land recently, I would imagine that if anything, things have opened up more than they were in 2013.

And, BTW, that trip cost us less than the cruise we are taking later this year (disclaimer - we are in a PH on Insignia and the land trip was in 2013).

Your call.

Edited by Paulchili

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, Catitude2 said:

Glad I checked this thread. Leaving on our first Oceania cruise 1/31 to Tahiti on Marina and was wondering about formal nights and dress codes, etc. Totally the opposite of what I was expecting! I told my husband he didn't need to pack a sport coat or tie and he was happy about that, although I do enjoy getting dressed up while vacationing. Now debating on whether I myself need much in the way of dressier items. I suppose I won't need my floor length sun dress or my fancy dinner dress that I usually use on cruise formal nights. Thinking just short sundresses, nice capris and palazzo pants instead? Seems like anything goes, but I don't want to overpack if I don't need it, either.

We will also be on the 1/31 Marina cruise.  I have just started to lay out our clothes.  I have thought a lot about what to pack for this vacation for the past year.  What I have settled on are casual shift dresses and skirt & shirts for myself.  I am also bringing a pair of white capris and white jeans in case it is a little cooler than hoped for.  For my husband - Chinos with button front shirts, loafers with or without socks.  He is bringing a shirt and tie for the La Reserve dinner.  He is not bringing a sport coat.  I think it will be very interesting to see how people actually dress on Oceania.  (Although Tahiti R/T might not be a good example.)  We have traveled mostly on NCL and Celebrity and I have found that on the itineraries and ships we have traveled, people for the most part were very well dressed in the evening.

By the way - have you been on our roll call?  It has been surprisingly active.

We were on this cruise last year.  FYI we had 10 days and 10 nights of rain.  This is not the Carribean where it rains for an hour.  Nobody cares what you wear.  Don't think that because you spent a lot of money for this cruise that people dress up.  Wrong.  I'd be hard pressed to visualize anyone wearing anything more than they would if they were on one of the big F..tubs.   Everything was informal.  For the reservation restaurants it was dressy casual.  but no-one even said that.  Wear what you would at home going out to a nice restaurant.  And if it rains.  keep an accurate account of all the excursions canceled to get your money back.  It took us two months.

Hope it is sunny.  Have fun!

lgarely

I may be the only one but I'm confused as to "which" cruise you were on!  People seem to have been talking about some others.

If you are talking Caribbean or the South Seas, I would expect attire to be more casual even in good weather!

On European cruises the attire seems to be somewhat more -- well, not formal, but "more".

Mura

5 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

We will also be on the 1/31 Marina cruise.  I have just started to lay out our clothes.  I have thought a lot about what to pack for this vacation for the past year.  What I have settled on are casual shift dresses and skirt & shirts for myself.  I am also bringing a pair of white capris and white jeans in case it is a little cooler than hoped for.  For my husband - Chinos with button front shirts, loafers with or without socks.  He is bringing a shirt and tie for the La Reserve dinner.  He is not bringing a sport coat.  I think it will be very interesting to see how people actually dress on Oceania.  (Although Tahiti R/T might not be a good example.)  We have traveled mostly on NCL and Celebrity and I have found that on the itineraries and ships we have traveled, people for the most part were very well dressed in the evening.

By the way - have you been on our roll call?  It has been surprisingly active.

That's pretty much what I've got laid out as well. Casual shift dresses, capris, white jeans and also palazzo pants. My husband is not bringing his sport coat. We've cruised mostly on Royal C and NCL. Did Carnival once and that was enough. I'm not on the roll call. Although we've cruised, I've never been active on cruise critic. Guess I'll have to check it out. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, CintiPam said:

We shared a table at Jacques on our last Caribbean cruise with a man in his 50’s (and his totally normal wife) who wore a backward baseball cap the entire meal plus crummy clothes. He claimed he had to keep his head covered due to mental trauma as a result of his military service! (You cannot make this stuff up.)

I decided I really did not care at all what he was wearing after a few minutes because he clearly was so drunk (and this was the 6:30 seating!) that he spoke way too loudly, leaned way to close to me and strangely disappeared for such very long periods of time (for a private tipple?) that our meal took forever. It was the worst 2-1/2 hours I ever spent in an Oceania specialty.

As a result of this debacle, I only will book a table for two in any specialty.

What a nightmare! We often want an 8-top in the MDR because we love meeting people and having interesting conversations. When we have booked specialty restaurants we have never been paired up with others. Man I agree that would have made the evening almost unbearable.

We pretty much always share a table in the specialties.  Sometimes it's a couple with whom O has paired us, sometimes it's with people on our roll call.  We've never had a bad experience -- certainly nothing as horrific as CintiPam described!  I think I'd have gotten up and left, but maybe I'd have tried to tough it out the way she did.

I remember a dinner with Jacques with two women (about the same age as we were) and while not completely simpatico -- I don't doubt they felt the same way -- it was still a good experience.  I think we all had different interests, is all.

Then there was the table for six in the GDR some years ago which was just wonderful even though we were all strangers -- we were all musicians and so we had a LOT in common.

No guarantees, and you never know.

Mura