Marina restaurant dress code

rivieramayalover

May Chili RIP indeed. It's clear how much love you had (and still have) for Chilli. Pepper must get all the attention now, maybe s/he's even sitting at your feet at this moment filled with glowing admiration. Or maybe just looking for a scratch. :halo:

This was just my way of letting you know I've always been intrigued by your cool username, being the inveterate chilehead that I am. :D

~ Linda

Yes - Pepper always stays close to us, especially now that he is almost 14 and slowing down.

Our friends always remind us that I am not allowed even to mention Chili in Pepper’s presence :D :D

Paul

So, to clarify on the dress code for lunch, if I've been on a snorkeling cruise and I am back on the ship for lunch, I have to change from my swimsuit/coverup into proper "cruise clothes"?

The pool grill (Waves) is casual enough for a bathing suit with a cover-up, but in the other restaurants the chairs are upholstered.

Not necessarily "proper cruise" clothes ... casual is fine. Even shorts (not short shorts of course) are permitted in the GDR for lunch. And Terrace never requires for lunch (or even dinner) what the GDR would require for dinner.

You just need to get out of your bathing suit! (Assuming you don something else in exchange ...)

Mura

We are on the 2/3/18 Papeete cruise and I'm wondering if my husband needs to bring a sport coat for the dinner restaurants.

I realize dress pants and shoes are required, but can he get by with button down collared dress shirts and no jacket?

No Jacket no tie. That's what i've been told. I'm packed and they're not in the luggage.

This is helpful info as my husband is obsessing a bit and was even thinking of packing a jacket( the only one he owns!) in case it was needed.Part of his concern is the fact that I will be dressing up.I love to dress up and he wants to match me.As an ICU nurse I wear scrubs all the time so putting on the little black dress and some bling is one of the perks of going on a cruise! It's very casual where I live-Seattle area

Currently on Nautica in Vietnam. Weather in the mid 70s. I have never done a Carribe Cruise on Oceania.

On this cruise, with similar results as on the Marina in November in the Med, Gentleman wearing jackets in the Specialties is 75-80%, while in the GDR at about 33.3%.

Gentleman can decide which group they choose to be in. No wrong answer.

Pam,

Glad that you had another and this time a pleasant meal at Jacques.

Are you saying that the obnoxious couple was from CA? If so, it had to be SoCal :D

And this from one of my favorite people..LOL

Jancruz1 from SOCAL and proud of it..rotfl

We are on the 2/3/18 Papeete cruise and I'm wondering if my husband needs to bring a sport coat for the dinner restaurants.

I realize dress pants and shoes are required, but can he get by with button down collared dress shirts and no jacket?

I have to base what we saw on our Jan. 2018 Riviera trip(Caribbean)Pax for the most part were typically dressed casually for lunch/dinner: shorts/light shirts etc. At night the dress code was pretty much more smart casual: Nice shirts(dress style for the most part) Nice slacks nice shoes. Jeans were turned away at night in the G/D & specialty rest. Only 2 rather odd balls stood out..One black dude(early 20's) wore designer type jeans.(literally the same ones it appeared every night) Staff obviously wanted to avoid the "race" card being played, so he was ignored. Surprising, considering the rest of the family was always dressed well over the dress code. His father should have smacked the kid off side the head! The other was a guy always very nicely dressed wearing a hat in every venue(yet, he had a full head of hair)I wear a hat, but take it off when entering any of the dining venues. The women always were dressed nicely. Cocktail type dresses, or nice pant suits. For us, we always wore dress shirts/slacks/nice shoes & wore suit/sport coats in the G/D on sea nights & the specialty rest. on every night we went. The vast majority of men wore suit coats/sport coats in the specialty venues. Women wore nicer dresses there as well, but not over the top dress style. Pretty much what you'd expect at a high-end restaurant. We did bring ties, but never wore them. Only saw about a handful of pax who wore suits & ties. One did wear a tux on a few nights. Overall, just nice smart casual was the rule. As to the shirts..Really saw no "polo" type shirts in the dining venues at night. A few changed into them after dinner. I will say, I found the temps. aboard ship were really quite high. We ran the A/C each night. The age of the pax was generally higher than what we've seen on Cunard/Celebrity/Princess. Perhaps that was the reason for it being so warm.

Edited by keithm
additions

This is helpful info as my husband is obsessing a bit and was even thinking of packing a jacket( the only one he owns!) in case it was needed.Part of his concern is the fact that I will be dressing up.I love to dress up and he wants to match me.As an ICU nurse I wear scrubs all the time so putting on the little black dress and some bling is one of the perks of going on a cruise! It's very casual where I live-Seattle area

I am just the opposite. For work I had to wear a jacket every day and now I don't have to - so I don't. Never took a jacket on any of my Oceania cruises and I love the fact that I don't need one. Also, makes packing a lot easier too. I take suits/jackets for some other lines because it is required (but I don't like it).

Tell your husband he'll be just fine without a jacket.

• 11 months later...

Glad I checked this thread. Leaving on our first Oceania cruise 1/31 to Tahiti on Marina and was wondering about formal nights and dress codes, etc. Totally the opposite of what I was expecting! I told my husband he didn't need to pack a sport coat or tie and he was happy about that, although I do enjoy getting dressed up while vacationing. Now debating on whether I myself need much in the way of dressier items. I suppose I won't need my floor length sun dress or my fancy dinner dress that I usually use on cruise formal nights. Thinking just short sundresses, nice capris and palazzo pants instead? Seems like anything goes, but I don't want to overpack if I don't need it, either.

Palazzo pants should be fine for dinners.  The other meals are indeed casual (jeans, shorts, etc. -- but not short shorts!).  Dressy slacks with a nice top work well for me.

If you WANT to dress up, there's no rule that says you mustn't! 

Mura

1 hour ago, Catitude2 said:

Now debating on whether I myself need much in the way of dressier items. I suppose I won't need my floor length sun dress or my fancy dinner dress that I usually use on cruise formal nights.

if you like to wear those dresses  then take them but do not expect your fellow ship mates to do the same

as long  as you do not wear shorts or jeans to the dining venues   (except the Terrace) you will be fine

I am really sorry I opened this thread to read!

It is obvious to me now that although not shown on their web site, Oceania's idea of "country club casual" is very different than mine! Living in southern California(San Diego) I would not blink twice to see someone in jeans at dinner in a nice restaurant!

It is not a question of "class" but of local custom that makes this OK.

We are on Oceania only for the itinerary to Cuba.

I am a land traveler for real in depth visits to countries around the world!

We cruise to relax. We do adhere to dress codes when on a ship but  I may rethink this cruise altogether given the snobbish comments I have read  on here!

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

I am a land traveler for real in depth visits to countries around the world!

In that case why not take a land trip to Cuba - we and many others have done it and you won’t have to worry about the dress code.

• Like 2