Please help me choose between two cruises!

SquishTheWhale

Hi guys

Hoping some Princess Cruisers can help me out with my indecision. We are wanting a Southern Caribbean itinerary in Nov or Dec this year and Princess seems to fit the bill. We're stuck between:

9thNovember, 8 nights on the Royal Princess £649pp

Itinerary:Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco

7thDec, 10 nights on the Crown Princess £679pp

Itinerary: Princess Cays, StThomas, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts

We'd be looking at an interior cabin, cabin isn't hugely important to us. The date doesn't massively matter either except the December one sails over my Birthday which is a bonus.

On paper the Crown Princess one looks a lot better in terms of value for money and ports. However my husband is a little unsure about the age of the ship and range of entertainment. We have only cruised on the NCL Epic, Escape and have the MSC Meraviglia booked so will only have sailed on newer fancier ships. The Royal Princess certainly looks a nicer ship. Not too concerned about the differences between the cruise lines as we enjoy trying different things and happy to dress up etc.

Ports wise, we have always wanted to visit Aruba but also St Lucia. We've never been to any of the ones on either cruise. We like beaches, activities and exploring. The things that matter most to us about a ship are the food (doesn't have to be fancy, just good) and entertainment. We absolutely love Musicals and Broadway shows.

If it matters, we are a married couple in our early 30s, no kiddies!

So, please help me out- is it an obvious choice? Which would you go for?

Hi guys

Hoping some Princess Cruisers can help me out with my indecision. We are wanting a Southern Caribbean itinerary in Nov or Dec this year and Princess seems to fit the bill. We're stuck between:

We'd be looking at an interior cabin, cabin isn't hugely important to us. The date doesn't massively matter either except the December one sails over my Birthday which is a bonus.

On paper the Crown Princess one looks a lot better in terms of value for money and ports. However my husband is a little unsure about the age of the ship and range of entertainment. We have only cruised on the NCL Epic, Escape and have the MSC Meraviglia booked so will only have sailed on newer fancier ships. The Royal Princess certainly looks a nicer ship. Not too concerned about the differences between the cruise lines as we enjoy trying different things and happy to dress up etc.

Ports wise, we have always wanted to visit Aruba but also St Lucia. We've never been to any of the ones on either cruise. We like beaches, activities and exploring. The things that matter most to us about a ship are the food (doesn't have to be fancy, just good) and entertainment. We absolutely love Musicals and Broadway shows.

Given the time of year and quality of ports, I would choose the ABC's hands down.

Hi guys

Nice ship, great ports, lots of sea days. Aruba has a nice downtown area and great beaches. Bonaire, the best snorkling, look into renting a golf cart to get around the island, or take a short sailing trip to Klien Bonaire, Curaco, great downtown area.

Older, but still a nice ship with a nice layout and lots of pools and outside areas.

Itinerary: Princess Cays, A beach stop, StThomas, Shopping, Shopping, Shopping, plus lots of interesting tours, Antigua, Shopping, lots of beaches and water activities, St Lucia, Nice tours to the Pitons and other locations, Barbados, Tours and beaches, not much of a downtown, St Kitts, Mall at the dock, lots of tours and beaches.

We'd be looking at an interior cabin, cabin isn't hugely important to us. The date doesn't massively matter either except the December one sails over my Birthday which is a bonus. The ship should have Christmas decorations up by Dec 7th.

On paper the Crown Princess one looks a lot better in terms of value for money and ports. However my husband is a little unsure about the age of the ship and range of entertainment. Both ships will have lots of entertainment including musical shows in the theaters, guest entertainers, comics, and live music in all the venues. No Broadway shows. Production shows are all singing and dancing, no dialog.

We have only cruised on the NCL Epic, Escape and have the MSC Meraviglia booked so will only have sailed on newer fancier ships. The Royal Princess certainly looks a nicer ship. Not too concerned about the differences between the cruise lines as we enjoy trying different things and happy to dress up etc.

The Princess demographic is a little older and active. you should not feel out of place.

See above, it is up to you. Take one this year and one in 2019.

Only my personal opinion but....

I have been to all of the islands mentioned numerous times and for me I would chose the Royal sailing because the ABC islands. Just love them. Bonaire is one of my favorites.

I would also chose the Royal over the Crown just because of what the Royal has to offer. I have never been on the Royal but have been on here sister ship the Regal 5 times. I'm heading back out on the Crown in February and do love the ship and know she is about to have some work done on her.

I'll throw out a third option: a 10-day on the Crown on Nov. 27 that goes to Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St. Thomas, and Princess Cays. I'm not sure of pricing for you. I'd prefer going to Aruba and Bonaire over the islands the ship goes to on the next cruise.

We loved our 10-day cruise last month on the Royal and appreciated some of the things it offered over smaller ships. But I missed having an outside Promenade Deck to walk around. Not as much as I thought I would, but I still missed it.

See above, it is up to you. Take one this year and one in 2019.

Thank you- really really helpful comments. Haha we might well take another one in 2019, or we might have to decide to be boring and save our money for a house deposit.. ahh who needs a house when you have cruises?!

Only my personal opinion but....

I have been to all of the islands mentioned numerous times and for me I would chose the Royal sailing because the ABC islands. Just love them. Bonaire is one of my favorites.

I would also chose the Royal over the Crown just because of what the Royal has to offer. I have never been on the Royal but have been on here sister ship the Regal 5 times. I'm heading back out on the Crown in February and do love the ship and know she is about to have some work done on her.

Thank you- is she going into dry dock for an extensive overhaul or is it just a little maintenance? She does look a little dated from the pictures.

I'll throw out a third option: a 10-day on the Crown on Nov. 27 that goes to Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St. Thomas, and Princess Cays. I'm not sure of pricing for you. I'd prefer going to Aruba and Bonaire over the islands the ship goes to on the next cruise.

We loved our 10-day cruise last month on the Royal and appreciated some of the things it offered over smaller ships. But I missed having an outside Promenade Deck to walk around. Not as much as I thought I would, but I still missed it.

Ahh I have seen that one, and it could be a winner except I have a work commitment that rules it out. I know, who books meetings almost a year in advance. My company, that's who. The pricing is similar so it's a shame we can't do that one.

I'd select the 10 nights cruise - because 10 nights versus 8! Also, you'd see more ports if that's important.

Cheers.

That's my thinking that it looks better on paper- 2 more nights and 3 more ports. But if people are saying the ABC ports are just better then it doesn't become so clear cut!

Ahh it's so difficult. You are all helping though with your views so thanks!!

Thanks Crawford- is that because the weather will be more reliable in the ABCs?

Absolutely, you are out of the hurricane zone. Can't go wrong with any of the ports, either.

I would also watch the prices. After booking, I would say it's fairly likely to see a price decrease, given the time of year.

That's my thinking that it looks better on paper- 2 more nights and 3 more ports. But if people are saying the ABC ports are just better then it doesn't become so clear cut!

Ahh it's so difficult. You are all helping though with your views so thanks!!

I wouldn't say it's cut and dried that the ABCs are better. It depends on what you want. The ports on the Crown cruise are lusher, more tropical. Aruba is flat and dry and was kind of a disappointment to us.

If you are more interested in ports than sea days, I think the Crown cruise makes more sense. On the Royal cruise, you have only three ports in your seven full days. On the Crown, you have six ports in nine full days.

And as much as I like the Royal, I don't think you'd feel like the Crown is an old rust bucket.

Jim

Given the time of year, I would do the more Southern route with Aruba. I've done two Princess Christmas cruises and although Princess Cays is pretty, I'm not a cooler water type of person and the water took me a while to really enjoy. I want my ocean water warm.

Who knows what this Hurricane season will bring, but some of the 5 port option was hit hard last season and still trying to recover if you look at comments visiting those ports on this board.

Good luck with your decision.

Having just gotten off the Crown yesterday, I'd vote for the ABC itinerary (which is what we did). The weather was exactly what you want for the islands - hot and sunny! Aruba always has great tradewinds blowing so even though it was hot on our visit, we weren't uncomfortably warm thanks to the breeze. In Curacao we did Resort for a Day at the Santa Barbara resort, which was a relaxing way to spend the day (well, 5 hours is the limit there). Once back at the ship we freshened up and just wandered around town a little bit as we had been there before. We've previously visited the Dolphin Academy in Curacao and that's also a fun experience as you can swim with the dolphins if you wish (and it's a legitimate facility where they actually study dolphins so they are well cared for). This was our first visit to Bonaire and we are already anxious to return again. Lovely little island and so easy to get around! We rented a golf cart and toured the south end of the island on our own. It was so much fun and so nice to just be able to go at our own pace.

With all of that being said, Antigua is my all time favourite Caribbean island so I would also be very interested in that itinerary, but, given that some of the islands on that one are probably still recovering from the hurricanes earlier this year, I would perhaps save that one for 2019.

Absolutely, you are out of the hurricane zone. Can't go wrong with any of the ports, either.

I would also watch the prices. After booking, I would say it's fairly likely to see a price decrease, given the time of year.

Thank you- being in the UK we can't usually adjust prices after booking, when you say the time of year do you mean they usually have sales later? The deposit is very low so I suppose if there was a very large drop I could cancel and rebook and just lose the deposit. Not familiar with Princess but I've always booked NCL 9+ months out and the price has only risen.

I wouldn't say it's cut and dried that the ABCs are better. It depends on what you want. The ports on the Crown cruise are lusher, more tropical. Aruba is flat and dry and was kind of a disappointment to us.

If you are more interested in ports than sea days, I think the Crown cruise makes more sense. On the Royal cruise, you have only three ports in your seven full days. On the Crown, you have six ports in nine full days.

And as much as I like the Royal, I don't think you'd feel like the Crown is an old rust bucket.

Jim

Thanks- we love the ships and enjoy sea days but the ports are probably more important- hence why we are looking at Princess! NCL don't seem to offer as good itineraries.

RE the comments about hurricanes- is early December not out of hurricane season for the Caribbean? We did our last cruise in October and it was way to close for comfort to all those awful hurricanes. But I thought December was safer?

With all of that being said, Antigua is my all time favourite Caribbean island so I would also be very interested in that itinerary, but, given that some of the islands on that one are probably still recovering from the hurricanes earlier this year, I would perhaps save that one for 2019.

Interested to hear what's good to do in Antigua then! It is almost a year away so I was hoping they would have recovered from the damage.. well, maybe if not I can at least spend a little money in the local economy and help them on their way.

Thank you again for all the comments, they are food for thought and are helping to clarify the choices

Since you've never been to any of the ports, the 10 nights on Crown would be our choice for you.

Also, most of our Brit cruise friends don't like to fly across the pond for less than 10 days.

Crown Princess is one of our favorite ship!

Enjoy whatever decision you make! :D

I won't get into the Ports, as I've been to them all, or the ships, as I've sailed on both. I will just throw out that if you choose the Crown, it will most likely be decorated for Christmas already, and that would be a deciding factor for me. Although if Perry Grant is playing on Royal (as he was this year over Christmas), then I'd book that one. Enjoy!

Since you've never been to any of the ports, the 10 nights on Crown would be our choice for you.

Also, most of our Brit cruise friends don't like to fly across the pond for less than 10 days.

Crown Princess is one of our favorite ship!

Enjoy whatever decision you make! :D

We can do around 11-12 nights so we'd add on a day in Fort Lauderdale or Miami with the 10 night, or possibly 2 or 3 days with the 8 night one. You're right, we wouldn't go all that way for 8 days! Although the hotels in Miami will probably cost the same as the bloomin' cruise :rolleyes:

I won't get into the Ports, as I've been to them all, or the ships, as I've sailed on both. I will just throw out that if you choose the Crown, it will most likely be decorated for Christmas already, and that would be a deciding factor for me. Although if Perry Grant is playing on Royal (as he was this year over Christmas), then I'd book that one. Enjoy!

I LOVE Christmas decorations yet I didn't even think about that... certainly a plus! I don't know who Perry Grant is although I'm not sure if that's a US/UK divide thing :D

$30 (ok' date=' lbs)... for 2 more days. No brainer, take the 10 day. I've been on both ships and they are both fantastic! FWIW, the vibe on Princess is much quieter/laid back than NCL with far fewer announcements and a bit older demographic. I haven't sailed MSC.[/quote']

Thanks, it does seem to make more sense. I'm happy with quiet and laid back. Neither of us are drinkers or party animals.

Random question, but does Princess hold dance classes during sea days? On our first NCL cruise we had 5 sea days and they ran them every day which we loved taking part in. But they didn't run any on the last one we did. Not fussy what type of dance, we just enjoy dancing together!

I've not been on the Crown, but from what I gathered, it's a fine ship. For you, IMO, it has the better itinerary since the ports are quite diverse. Antigua is beautiful and didn't get much damage at all. St Lucia's Pitons are unique, Barbados has tons of options.

The ABC's are nice (though I've not been to C) but they are more dry. I'd go on the Crown between these two.

With a 10 vs 8 day, IMO, it's a no brainer. For us, one can really get disconnected and enjoy. Just think, if you're going on an 8 day, you'd be getting off when you'd still have 2 whole days of cruising if you went on a 10 day...that's 25% more cruising! (2/8.)

For the record, the Royal is our favorite ship, but the Crown offers more than enough to enjoy. (We love the Royal's buffet as well as the larger Piazza.)

We can do around 11-12 nights so we'd add on a day in Fort Lauderdale or Miami with the 10 night, or possibly 2 or 3 days with the 8 night one. You're right, we wouldn't go all that way for 8 days! Although the hotels in Miami will probably cost the same as the bloomin' cruise :rolleyes:

If me, I would choose the ABC islands but I am sure there are certainly a lot of things that would be of interest to you on the other itinerary, as well. But, love sailing on newer ships so would choose the Royal over the Crown.

Of note, I would much rather stay in Fort Lauderdale, which is not all that far from the Port of Miami. We stayed at Lago Mar and would definitely recommend this for an after the cruise stay or 2 or 3 nights. We just sailed on the Equinox this past November down to the ABC islands, although it was a 10 night itinerary, followed up by a 2 night stay at Lago Mar. It was a perfect vacation!!

We have been on many Princess cruises and have loved them all. 10 days instead of 8 would be a no-brainer for us. However, Princess caters to an older crowd, more like your parent's ages plus, and the longer the cruise, the older the passengers..