Carnival Minor Rules

pjcoach

I just found out about these two rules, curious if I was in the minority of not knowing.

1) carnival considers 25 years old to be an adult for purposes of supervising a minor

2) a minor under the age of 18 must be in a cabin within three cabins of an adult

Came during a conversation regarding guaranteed rooms that I had with an agent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question 1 is correct and well known by frequent cruisers

Question 2... Is correct... You must book your children with atleast 1 adult. So if your a family of 4 and want you and your spouse in 1 room and your children in another...You book both rooms with 1 adult and 1 child.... Then once you board you can switch out the room card keys accordingly assuming your rooms are within the allotted cabin distance

We didn't have a problem booking my 14 year old with his 19 year old brother in the cabin next to us. Just had to be within 3 cabins from us. What I found interesting is that for the kids club it let us assign the 19 year old to be in charge of signing his brother up...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

A group of 4... 2 adults and 2 teenagers do not have to be booked as 1 adult and 1 child in each room. For the last cruise we did in June booking we, we specifically booked 2 adults in a balcony room, and 2 teenagers in an inside cabin across the hall. This does not work for younger children, however.

I just found out about these two rules, curious if I was in the minority of not knowing.

1) carnival considers 25 years old to be an adult for purposes of supervising a minor

2) a minor under the age of 18 must be in a cabin within three cabins of an adult

Came during a conversation regarding guaranteed rooms that I had with an agent

From the Carnival website:

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.
  • Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.
  • Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter guidelines as follows:
    • Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors
    • Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment
    • 8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

• Proper documentation must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.
  • Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

• Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.
  • Copy of proof of service must be emailed to our Interline Desk at interline@carnival.com or faxed to 305 406-6478, prior to your cruise as well as provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Question 2... Is correct... You must book your children with atleast 1 adult. So if your a family of 4 and want you and your spouse in 1 room and your children in another...You book both rooms with 1 adult and 1 child.... Then once you board you can switch out the room card keys accordingly assuming your rooms are within the allotted cabin distance

It is you who is incorrect regarding Question 2.

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
    Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

• Guests 12 and younger

My goodness.... I did not expect you to go so formal on your response. It's helpful you provided all the detail for the OP but My response to #2 was CORRECT based on the limited information the OP provided...Going on my past experience cruising with my children. Notice he provided no ages and said under 18.... 13-17 is allowed within 3 cabins. . Geez.... loosen up!!!!!

Edited by lcpagejr

My goodness.... I did not expect you to go so formal on your response. It's helpful you provided all the detail for the OP but My response to #2 was CORRECT based on the limited information the OP provided...Going on my past experience cruising with my children. Notice he provided no ages and said under 18.... 13-17 is allowed within 3 cabins. . Geez.... loosen up!!!!!

Correct information is so easy to obtain by just searching online. Incorrect info drives me nuts!

It does not matter the ages of the kids. If they are under 12, the only rule is they can't be in a balcony cabin without an adult.

I'll loosen up when people don't give wrong info.

Try Googling Carnival Minor Policy. It was right there.

•  
  • Guests 12 and younger

Lcoagejr - not to put too fine a point on it, your first response (above) was incorrect in that you stated you must book at least 2 adult in the room with children. Stargatefan was simply providing correct information.

My family of six (4 adults, two kids) is booked in three connecting balcony rooms. My kids are 16 and 11 and are booked in a room by themselves. From the rules, it seems as though this shouldn't have been allowed, but we didn't have any issues. Perhaps the policy is different for connecting rooms?

My family of six (4 adults, two kids) is booked in three connecting balcony rooms. My kids are 16 and 11 and are booked in a room by themselves. From the rules, it seems as though this shouldn't have been allowed, but we didn't have any issues. Perhaps the policy is different for connecting rooms?

Your 11 year old can be booked in a room next to or directly across the hall from you. Refer to the Carnival rules listed above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lcoagejr - not to put too fine a point on it, your first response (above) was incorrect in that you stated you must book at least 2 adult in the room with children. Stargatefan was simply providing correct information.

I might be missing something, but it appears they are correct. I highlighted and added a space (because it bothered me). I don't see where it says 2 or more.

Question 2... Is correct... You must book your children with at least 1 adult. So if your a family of 4 and want you and your spouse in 1 room and your children in another...You book both rooms with 1 adult and 1 child.... Then once you board you can switch out the room card keys accordingly assuming your rooms are within the allotted cabin distance

I might be missing something, but it appears they are correct. I highlighted and added a space (because it bothered me). I don't see where it says 2 or more.

It says 1. I had a typo and by the time I noticed it, I couldn't edit. You DO NOT have to have an adult in the same room with the children.

It says 1. I had a typo and by the time I noticed it, I couldn't edit. You DO NOT have to have an adult in the same room with the children.

Yes, that part I agree with you on - they do not need to be in the same cabin unless it is a balcony and they are 12 or under. I don't see where OP ever specified the ages of the children so it may or may not apply to their situation.

This is not true. I just book connecting cabins and was going to put one adult in each cabin and the Carnival rep said that was not necessary. We have two confirmation numbers, one for a cabin with my husband and I, one for the connecting cabin with my 7 and 9 year old sons.

Your 11 year old can be booked in a room next to or directly across the hall from you. Refer to the Carnival rules listed above.

We are already booked, my 11 year old and 16 year old are booked in a balcony room, which shouldn't have been allowed but was. I'm not complaining though.

I've found carnival to be pretty liberal about the age restriction once on board. We are four, two adults, and 18 yo and 15 yo daughters. I book our rooms with me and the 15 yo and my wife and the 18 yo. Sometimes the rooms are on different floors if the bookings are last minute. After we embark, we go to guest services and they can switch the rooms so the 18 yo and 15 yo are in the same room. YMMV

I've found carnival to be pretty liberal about the age restriction once on board. We are four, two adults, and 18 yo and 15 yo daughters. I book our rooms with me and the 15 yo and my wife and the 18 yo. Sometimes the rooms are on different floors if the bookings are last minute. After we embark, we go to guest services and they can switch the rooms so the 18 yo and 15 yo are in the same room. YMMV

I guess the over all point of this thread is ... you don't have to do that! You can actually book yourself and your wife in one room and the kids in another. No switching necessary.

We are already booked, my 11 year old and 16 year old are booked in a balcony room, which shouldn't have been allowed but was. I'm not complaining though.

The problem is that when you check in, it will likely be discovered and will have to be corrected. I went through this two years ago with my niece when she was 10. Better to switch things up now by booking one adult in your party in that room. It is easy enough to get an extra door key at guest services upon embarkation.

Good luck!

The problem is that when you check in, it will likely be discovered and will have to be corrected. I went through this two years ago with my niece when she was 10. Better to switch things up now by booking one adult in your party in that room. It is easy enough to get an extra door key at guest services upon embarkation.

Good luck!

The other benefit to putting 1 adult in each room is if only one of you wants Cheers, both of you don’t need to buy it!