What Area's in Canada require Passports for Alaska Cruise + Victoria Canada??

Luv2Cruiise

I realize that Passports are not required on closed loop cruises and I have been reading the boards and just wanted to find out about Canada?

Are there any excursions or area's that you can NOT visit/take while visiting Victoria Canada if you don't have a Passport?

Also, how do you know if your state is using the EDL as Id's now? Thanks

Your cruise is a closed loop cruise starting and ending in Seattle, right? Victoria is just a port of call. No different than any other port of call in North America or the Caribbean.

If the cruise was originating in Canada, then you would have to have a passport.

Any shore excursion that crosses the U.S/Canada land border would require a passport. I dubt there are any offered in Victoria BC as most ships only call there for about 5 hours.

And unless you live in one of a select few states along the Canadian border your state does not issue EDLs. Unless you have one of the Trusted Traveler program cards your government issued birth certificate is all but essential if you do not have a passport.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes it is leaving Seattle! WHen I looked up the DL and state it showed that it was on the approval list or something like that? I was just curious.

So without a passport are you able to take a train ride in Victoria? Or is it small enough to walk around?

Thanks

Thanks, yes it is leaving Seattle! WHen I looked up the DL and state it showed that it was on the approval list or something like that? I was just curious.

So without a passport are you able to take a train ride in Victoria? Or is it small enough to walk around?

Thanks

You do know that Victoria is on an island? As long as you stay on the island, you can go wherever you want. As far as walking goes, it's not that small. Depending on where you want to go, you may need a taxi or bus. There is no passenger rail service on Vancouver Island at present. You might want to look at the Ports of Call forum or TripAdvisor for information on excursions and sights. Or just stick with one of the ship excursions.

Thanks

Just because you have to show your birth certificate or other proof of citizenship to get a REAL ID compliant license that doesn't mean that the license proves that you are a US citizen, because a non-citizen may also obtain a license by showing proof of legal status in the US. An EDL costs more than a regular license and contains an RIFD chip in it the same way as a passport or a passport card and it does prove your identity and citizenship in one document.

I have cruised to AK twice before, both time roundtrip Seattle, with Princess, and a passport WAS required in order to be able to board the ship.

Depending on what cruise line you are traveling with, a passport MAY be required. For Instance, my AK cruise booking confirmation for the one scheduled for later this year specifies in small print that a passport IS required. I believe that is because one of the ports, Skagway, is close to the Canadian border and there are excursions that do cross it. Just because one is not planning to do one of those excursions does not take away the need to have a passport to be permitted to board the ship.

I would suggest that you read your booking confirmation details very carefully to see if you have the same requirement, or call and check with your cruise line, or ask your TA to do so..

I have cruised to AK twice before, both time roundtrip Seattle, with Princess, and a passport WAS required in order to be able to board the ship.

Depending on what cruise line you are traveling with, a passport MAY be required. For Instance, my AK cruise booking confirmation for the one scheduled for later this year specifies in small print that a passport IS required. I believe that is because one of the ports, Skagway, is close to the Canadian border and there are excursions that do cross it. Just because one is not planning to do one of those excursions does not take away the need to have a passport to be permitted to board the ship.

I would suggest that you read your booking confirmation details very carefully to see if you have the same requirement, or call and check with your cruise line, or ask your TA to do so..

Yes, one should always check with the cruise line to find out if they impose a stricter standard than the regulations. For Princess the only time they require US citizens to have a passport on closed loop cruise is when a parent is traveling alone with a child:

For domestic itineraries for which a passport is not required, US and Canadian passport holders must present one of the following valid Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant travel documents at cruise check-in:

• Passport Book: Recommended travel document
  • US Passport Card
  • US or Canadian Issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

• US or Canadian Issued Identification Card (issued to minors and non-drivers)

• NEXUS Card Air travel is limited to participating airports

• SENTRI and FAST cards

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

We will be on Royal and they don't require a passport, even though they recommend them! I just wasn't sure about Canada and the rules in Victoria. We will also be in Skagway! Had no idea it was an Island cause I have never been there. I had heard that there was a train ride you can take but if it crosses into other areas then I will make sure not to do that. Walking around is fine if there are shops etc? Thanks

Does Bermuda or Barbados require Passports?

Edited by Luv2Cruiise
Add

Here's the thing...should anything happen and you wind up needing to fly home from Canada, you will have to obtain a US passport BEFORE you can fly home. I would NEVER take any trip outside the US without a passport for this reason even though this cruise only has 1 stop in Canada. There is a strong likelihood that you won't have an emergency of any kind where you must fly home from Victoria but what if something completely unforeseen happens?

The train is in Skagway, not Victoria. The train does enter Canada, from the US. Victoria is a lovely town for wandering.

No, Bermuda and Barbados do not require passports if you are visiting them on a closed loop cruise. The Carribean islands have reached an agreement with the US that Canada has not. A passport or enhanced license is required to visit Canada.

Without a passport' date=' you won't be allowed to leave the ship in Victoria.

When I cruised to Alaska on Princess, a passport was required in order to board.[/quote']

Two completely contradictory statements.

If passports are required to board, then boarding will be denied without one. You would not be allowed to simply embark and then stay on board at the one foreign port call as mind-boggingly implied in the first statement..

And if a passport was required on your Alaska cruise likely it was an open-jaw cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. The OP is on a round-trip Seattle cruise for which there are permissible alternative proof of citizenship documents (for US and Canadian citizens). As repeatedly enumerated in the other replies above.

Unless things have radically changed in the last 5 years, you will not be allowed off of the ship in Victoria without a passport. You will be allowed to wander around Skagway, because Skagway is in the US. You just can't take the train out of Skagway without a passport.

Here's the thing...should anything happen and you wind up needing to fly home from Canada, you will have to obtain a US passport BEFORE you can fly home. I would NEVER take any trip outside the US without a passport for this reason even though this cruise only has 1 stop in Canada. There is a strong likelihood that you won't have an emergency of any kind where you must fly home from Victoria but what if something completely unforeseen happens?

Yes we are aware of this, Thanks!

We will be on Royal and they don't require a passport, even though they recommend them! I just wasn't sure about Canada and the rules in Victoria. We will also be in Skagway! Had no idea it was an Island cause I have never been there. I had heard that there was a train ride you can take but if it crosses into other areas then I will make sure not to do that. Walking around is fine if there are shops etc? Thanks

Does Bermuda or Barbados require Passports?

Victoria is on Vancouver island. Skagway is not on an island. (The order of your statements makes it unclear whether you understand that.) I'd suggest you look at a map of where your cruise is going. I find it hard to imagine booking a cruise without looking at a map to understand something about where it is going.

It’s my understanding that on Princess (closed loop from Seattle) you can use a drivers license and birth certificate. Is this correct or is a passport absolutely mandatory? What about Visa requirements for a US citizen? Have looked into both Canadian and US visa requirements and didn’t see any required. Just looking for some clarification from others who have recently done the same trip! Thanks

I was on a closed loop cruise out of Seattle. A passport was required in order to board.

According to the Princess FAQ which I quoted above the only reason they require US citizens to have a passport is if they are traveling alone with a minor.

It’s my understanding that on Princess (closed loop from Seattle) you can use a drivers license and birth certificate. Is this correct or is a passport absolutely mandatory? What about Visa requirements for a US citizen? Have looked into both Canadian and US visa requirements and didn’t see any required. Just looking for some clarification from others who have recently done the same trip! Thanks

If you are a US citizen there is no visa requirement to visit Canada. I quoted the Princess FAQ and if you are a parent traveling alone with your child then Princess requires you all to have passports, otherwise any other acceptable documentation under the WHTI is accepted.

Unless things have radically changed in the last 5 years' date=' you will not be allowed off of the ship in Victoria without a passport. You will be allowed to wander around Skagway, because Skagway is in the US. You just can't take the train out of Skagway without a passport.[/quote']

Again...nonsense.

There have been closed loop cruises from Seattle using Victoria as the required foreign call since the beginning of cruising in Alaska.

For such closed loop cruises a US citizen has for the most part always been permitted to use the combination of US government issued birth certificate + picture ID in lieu of a passport.

There have been NO SUCH RESTRICTIONS for those persons having to stay on the ship in Victoria or any other Canadian port.

If a person is somehow ineligible to visit a certain nation on the cruise itinerary they will simply be denied boarding. Yes that does happen to persons with felony records who book an Alaska cruise. There is NO WAY to accommodate people in that odd circumstance--they simply will not sail, period.

But that has NOTHING to do with the ability to take a closed-loop cruise from a USA turnaround port using the permitted proof of citizenship other than a passport. Such alternative would not be offered--PERIOD--if there was a port call that REQUIRED passports from all passengers. Canada IS NOT one of them.

Your cruise is a closed loop cruise starting and ending in Seattle, right? Victoria is just a port of call. No different than any other port of call in North America or the Caribbean.

If the cruise was originating in Canada, then you would have to have a passport.

Yes you are correct, It is a closed loop from Seattle, Our AAA TA told us no passport is needed, not even in Victoria! I always check here as well for those that have made the same trip! Thanks