super large groups on Princess?

Mary loves to travel

On other boards, I've read of large groups, numbering up to half the passengers on the ship, essentially "taking over" much space and very much changing the tone of the cruise for those not part of the group. Such is the nature of groups.

That made me wonder: does anyone have experience with this happening on Princess? It doesn't seem to lend itself to that atmosphere, but then again, we've only done 1 Princess cruise to date.

Mary

The largest we have encountered was on a Baltic cruise on the Regal. There were around 500 Chinese from the mainland with their own tour guide onboard. As expected, their daily activities on board and in port were in groups that made their presence felt but in no way did it alter the tone of the entertainment activities by the CD & staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WE were on the Crown four years ago when a large group from Cleveland were doing their annual Super Bowl Cruise. They took over the ship. Shorts in the MDR on formal night and they (staff) let them in. Said there were too many of them and wasn't worth trying. Bottles and glasses in the pools and no one said anything about that either. The group basically did what ever they wanted and no one said a word about it.

We were on the Crown four years ago when a large group from Cleveland were doing their annual Super Bowl Cruise. They took over the ship. Shorts in the MDR on formal night and they (staff) let them in. Said there were too many of them and wasn't worth trying. Bottles and glasses in the pools and no one said anything about that either. The group basically did what ever they wanted and no one said a word about it.

We were on the Crown four years ago when a large group from Cleveland were doing their annual Super Bowl Cruise. They took over the ship. Shorts in the MDR on formal night and they (staff) let them in. Said there were too many of them and wasn't worth trying. Bottles and glasses in the pools and no one said anything about that either. The group basically did what ever they wanted and no one said a word about it.

Bad luck that this happened to you twice:D:D:D

I've been a several cruises with 300-400 passengers with a group. They took over some of the venues (clubs) and over-ran the Piazza on sea days. I have asked if it is possible to identify these cruises and was told "No" because it was a privacy issue. I don't think it is fair to the rest of the passengers.

We were on an Alaskan cruise with Cookie Lee consultants. (That's a company that had a sales force of women to sell its costume jewelry at home parties like Tupperware. It was sold in 2014 and then went bankrupt in 2016) They had earned the cruise through high sales volume. They were always impeccably dressed--or even over dressed. The only time I noticed any venue closed was when they had an afternoon party in Club Fusion.

There was a group of Italian pharmacists on the same cruise. It was a much smaller group than the Cookie Lee ladies (and their traveling companions). Occasionally the ship's officers would make announcements in Italian in addition to English. It wasn't every announcement, just a few. I noticed they also had Italian issues of the Patter printed out. Apparently most of their cabins were in a block on one of the decks. They had meetings in the Crown Grill during the sea days.

We were on the HAL cruise last year that was infamous. A group of 1000 came on the ship midway through our back to back. We were kicked out of our traditional late dining spot and told our options were either anytime dining before 6.15 or the buffet. Not impressed.

The first week was perfect and we liked HAL better than Princess, but we won't be back.

Worthwhile to google your ship and date, group cruises often pop up that way. Unfortunately no one will disclose the size of the group. We are avoiding 7 day or less cruises too. Have not heard of this on 10 days and more.

Princess regularly have a very large group for "Concerts at Sea". We had the misfortune of being on one of their cruises. There were around 1000 of them. They had many activities that were restricted to them. They took over everything and limited venues etc. for others.

We were on the 'back end' of a B2B cruise on Halloween with a group of cruzers that was organized by Chumbley Bear Cruises. I'll just leave that here and let you google that group... Only noticed they kinda took over the aft pool and Outrigger bar..

Halloween was way cool by the way:cool:

So far we haven't encountered super large groups but maybe a few hundred at most. They tend to do things together for the most part like wanting to sit together at the pool, shows & dining.

They all arrive together for dinner & it bogs down the whole restaurant between all the noise, ordering of wine & carrying on.

Yes - on multiple times, I have had approx 1/3 of the ship as a large group. Other times, smaller groups that are still hundreds in size but wasn't as disruptive.

One group was extremely disruptive.

Edited by Coral

Not on Princess, but on NCL - we booked a cruise not knowing that half the cruise about 1000, were Pittsburg Steeler fans - Legends of the Steelers with some of the old school players - Franco, Blier, but no Bradshaw - really nice group, but they did take over some venues with reservations.

Understood it cost big $$$ to eat with them and get autographs...

We were on the 'back end' of a B2B cruise on Halloween with a group of cruzers that was organized by Chumbley Bear Cruises. I'll just leave that here and let you google that group... Only noticed they kinda took over the aft pool and Outrigger bar..

Halloween was way cool by the way:cool:

There have been threads about Chumley (not Chumbley) Bear Cruises, mostly stocky, hairy gay men. The general consensus --save for a few posters uptight the world doesn't adhere to their morals-- seemed to be that they are nice people... just as the Cookie Lee ladies were described.

Sad that Princess staff takes the apparent attitude that "there's too many of them to control..." as quite frankly, Princess has MORE CONTROL over a group than individual passengers.

Group leaders have a vested interest ensuring their attendees adhere to host (cruise line or hotel) rules. Upset the cruise line or hotel and your group might not be welcomed back. Speaking from experience in the convention hotel business, potential groups are required to supply references, where they've held meetings prior. Wise hotels understand the balance between a quick fill with discounted group business vs. upset retail guests that may need to be compensated for inconveniences due to the groups activities.

Liz54, I'm interested to know if you had been confirmed for late seating traditional dining originally, then bumped to buffet or early seating.

Princess regularly have a very large group for "Concerts at Sea". We had the misfortune of being on one of their cruises. There were around 1000 of them. They had many activities that were restricted to them. They took over everything and limited venues etc. for others.

We've been on Princess ships twice when the "Concerts at Sea" group was on the ship and never found their being on the ship to be a problem.

They used Princess Theater some afternoons for their concerts when nothing else would have been going on anyway.

Club Fusion was the only place on the ship set aside for them.

Almost everyone was 55+ who liked 50's & 60's Rock & Roll music -- PR & The Baby Raiders, Lettermen, Classic Four, etc.

Basically normal Princess cruisers. No Problem. :D

There have been threads about Chumley (not Chumbley) Bear Cruises, mostly stocky, hairy gay men. The general consensus --save for a few posters uptight the world doesn't adhere to their morals-- seemed to be that they are nice people... just as the Cookie Lee ladies were described.

Sad that Princess staff takes the apparent attitude that "there's too many of them to control..." as quite frankly, Princess has MORE CONTROL over a group than individual passengers.

Group leaders have a vested interest ensuring their attendees adhere to host (cruise line or hotel) rules. Upset the cruise line or hotel and your group might not be welcomed back. Speaking from experience in the convention hotel business, potential groups are required to supply references, where they've held meetings prior. Wise hotels understand the balance between a quick fill with discounted group business vs. upset retail guests that may need to be compensated for inconveniences due to the groups activities.

Liz54, I'm interested to know if you had been confirmed for late seating traditional dining originally, then bumped to buffet or early seating.

Still it doesn't hurt to check the internet & adjust your vacations as necessary to avoid some groups. Some advertise and can be avoided so there are no unpleasant surprises once aboard the ship.

We have been on cruises where there were a large (100+) Chinese aboard with their own guide who set up in the piazza every day. They had their own tours arranged and did have certain venues reserved for their meetings. It really was not a problem. We were on a TA and there were 250+ cc pax aboard so we had our M&G in the aft dining room with the captain attending. The best group though was an AK cruise out of Seattle when we had the red hat ladies aboard. Those ladies can party hard! I have not seen any group larger than a few hundred aboard so far.

I've been a part of the ballroom dance groups that have joined the princess ships before as an instructor/host. I have heard some mild complaints that we "take over the dance floors" and don't let enough people on.

For this, I apologize, but we're sometimes just having our own fun to notice. A quick "ahem" will get us to recognize you and apologize for hogging up all the space.

The largest group I was with a part of was 30 student dancers and 10 professionals.. so quite a bit smaller than "half the ship."