Cancelling a cruise

johnandlinda

I would expect to lose the insurance premium, but nothing else, unless you have some sort of special, non-refundable booking deal. As to transferring your insurance to a different cruise, it is possible. But you won't know until you ask. I would strongly suggest you have the replacement cruise already selected when you call to cancel. Make the whole cancel-new booking process complete when you call. Don't delay the booking of the second cruise.

There is no good reason to purchase cancellation insurance prior to final payment date as cruise deposit is fully refundable. Unless booking with a non-ref deposit. But that is highly unlikely - booking a cruise a year or more out with a non-ref deposit.

Princess Vacation Protection is fully refundable until the start of the penalty period (normally around final payment). If you cancel before final payment, the only thing you may use is the deposit (if you booked under a sale with a non-refundable deposit). If you booked with a normal refundable deposit, you won't lose anything.

There is no good reason to purchase cancellation insurance prior to final payment date as cruise deposit is fully refundable. Unless booking with a non-ref deposit. But that is highly unlikely - booking a cruise a year or more out with a non-ref deposit.

There is one good reason to purchase cancellation protection prior to final payment - the preexisting conditions exclusion. If you purchase Princess Vacation Protection, the preexisting condition exclusion does not apply to a condition that has been treated with no change in medication for the previous 60 days before purchasing the Princess Vacation Protection (see page 3 of the brochure); note that you have to pay for the Princess Vacation Protection for this to take effect - not just select it to be paid later. If you purchase third-party travel insurance, it often waives the pre-existing condition exclusion only if you purchase it within 30 days of the original deposit for the trip.

If I am purchasing Princess Vacation Protection, I always purchase it well before final payment. I choose a period when both DW and I have not had any medical diagnosis or medication changes for the previeous 60 days and then I pay the fee to purchase it. I have never had a problem receiving a full refund for the Princess Vacation Protection when cancelling a cruise before final payment, and I have done that several times.

What you should lose is: Nothing. Cancelling a cruise outside the penalty period is "free" unless you booked with a non-refundable deposit. I need to cancel a booked cruise (recently cancelled the first part of the cruise booked in two segments) and will lose nothing by doing so other than missing out on the cruise itself.

How do you specifically pay for the PVP without paying for the cruise in full? - Can you do that like paying for grats, or a specialty dinner?

I've always called Princess to pay for the PVP (which you can do if you booked direct). If you booked with a travel agent, you would need to tell the agent.

You can pay for the PVP without paying for the full payment for the cruise itself. You would pay only the deposit and the PVP.

There is one good reason to purchase cancellation protection prior to final payment - the preexisting conditions exclusion. If you purchase Princess Vacation Protection, the preexisting condition exclusion does not apply to a condition that has been treated with no change in medication for the previous 60 days before purchasing the Princess Vacation Protection (see page 3 of the brochure); note that you have to pay for the Princess Vacation Protection for this to take effect - not just select it to be paid later. If you purchase third-party travel insurance, it often waives the pre-existing condition exclusion only if you purchase it within 30 days of the original deposit for the trip.

If I am purchasing Princess Vacation Protection, I always purchase it well before final payment. I choose a period when both DW and I have not had any medical diagnosis or medication changes for the previeous 60 days and then I pay the fee to purchase it. I have never had a problem receiving a full refund for the Princess Vacation Protection when cancelling a cruise before final payment, and I have done that several times.

Well said....

My bad - I did not think of pre-existing situation (maybe because I don't have anything like that). Thanks for correcting.

My bad - I did not think of pre-existing situation (maybe because I don't have anything like that). Thanks for correcting.

If you don't have any pre-existing conditions, this would be a good time to purchase Princess Travel Protection. Who knows what might happen between now and final payment?

PLEASE HELP! We are booked on 34 day b2b2b2b2b2b2. DH had neck cancer, but after almost 2 years was said to be cured. Finally JOY in our lives again. Then, we are having biopsies 2nd time around this Tues and won't have results until the Tuesday before we leave. How does insurance work. I am soooo tired and stressed. Please help me. Will insurance pay/

PLEASE HELP! We are booked on 34 day b2b2b2b2b2b2. DH had neck cancer, but after almost 2 years was said to be cured. Finally JOY in our lives again. Then, we are having biopsies 2nd time around this Tues and won't have results until the Tuesday before we leave. How does insurance work. I am soooo tired and stressed. Please help me. Will insurance pay/

Sorry to hear this.

If you purchased Princess insurance and he had no change in his condition and no medication changes for 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance and you have to cancel they should pay. This is assuming they had not recommended the biopsies during that time.

So you do not stress you may give them a call.

Sorry to hear this.

If you purchased Princess insurance and he had no change in his condition and no medication changes for 60 days prior to purchasing the insurance and you have to cancel they should pay. This is assuming they had not recommended the biopsies during that time.

So you do not stress you may give them a call.

No not 60 days prior, so we should be OK. First biopsy was 12/26, which came back non diagnostic and another now on Tuesday. Hopefully it will show NED, no evidence of disease.. Very stressful, cannot even pack

If you don't have any pre-existing conditions, this would be a good time to purchase Princess Travel Protection. Who knows what might happen between now and final payment?

Like some others, we aren't paying the Princess Protection. It would have been very expensive and risk was very low. We have comprehensive travel insurance and were not concerned much for the cancellation part. But, I think I might turn into a hermit between now and flight date. LOL.