Travel insurance

I'm trying to get recommendations on cruise travel insurance for my 7 day cruise. I heard of AAA and Leisure Care. Thoughts?

i personally pick plans that have "cancel for any reason" coverage, which a bunch do if you book within 14 days of initial deposit.

i have used https://www.tripinsurance.com to get a bunch of quotes and compare plans

Guest maddycat

I buy our cruise travel insurance through the Trip Insurance Store. I call and speak to one of their very knowledgeable representatives. They're patient, listen to my concerns and answer all of my questions. For our last 4 or 5 cruises I've bought Travel Insured insurance.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

(888-407-3854)

You also might want to read/post on the cc cruise travel insurance board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

We have always used CSA & they pay their claims. CSA re-named to GENERALI which is its underwriter and they offer more plans with better coverages on their website http://www.generalitravelinsurance.com than on the comparison sites mentioned.

The Premium has the Cancel For Any Reason option but we only buy that if our cruise is far out into the future and there is a higher risk of not going/cancelling. In general, we buy travel insurance at final deposit--pre existing conditions are covered that late by GENERALI.

I too use the Trip Insurance Store for all my travel insurance needs...Call and speak to Steve or one of his associates...No need to try and do this online by yourself...call and speak directly with a professional (888) 407-3854.

I have used Trip Insurance Store before, and had good service and advice.

One caveat, they can only write insurance for US residents. Some of the other companies can deal with non-US residents.

Read the actual insurance booklet for your policy before purchasing. Make sure your specific concerns are covered. For example, you might be buying insurance in case you or a family member becomes ill before the trip, or you might be more worried about paying medical costs and transportation home if you become ill during the cruise. Others are buying insurance because they booked a cruise during hurricane season and are worried about losing non-refundable fees. If you want to cover bad weather contingencies be sure to read the policy carefully because the specifics of what is covered and what is not vary greatly.

Some people have noted "cancel for any reason" insurance. You should know that if you buy this it costs more and only reimburses a percentage of your cruise fare.

Go to insuremytrip.com and put in yout information and you’ll get about 20 quotes. Find the one that is best for you. I’ve done this with every trip. I’ve even had to use it on my way up to Alaska, when my husband had a massive heart attack in Seattle before embarkation. Ended up in the hospital for a week. Needless to say we missed the cruise, but the travel insurance reimbursed us every cent and all the medical bills.

I’m a HUGE a fan of travel insurance!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH and I just booked on RCCL. Now trying to decide if we need to buy insurance. Do you always get insurance? I read some of the reasons why such as cussing during hurricane season or possible family emergency.

Thanks for your input

Carla

My DH and I just booked on RCCL. Now trying to decide if we need to buy insurance. Do you always get insurance? I read some of the reasons why such as cussing during hurricane season or possible family emergency.

Thanks for your input

Carla

We always get the insurance. If something really goes wrong, I want that emergency evacuation coverage.

I can’t recommend enough the Nationwide Luxury Cruise Policy. Very cost effective with high coverage limits especially for medical evacuation which can be outrageously expensive. The best part is they have cruise specific coverages. They cover missed ports, itinerary changes etc.

For example DW and I went on a DCL cruise in January out of Galveston. We got fogged in and missed Key West. Filed a claim and we each got a check for $250 in the mail within a few days. The total cost of the insurance for both of us including the cancel for any reason rider was $220. The claim process was very easy and I will always book this policy going forward.

We buy Allianz family policy for the year. It covers anyone who lives with you and any trip you take whether car, train, plane, bus, or cruise. I think they have 3 coverage plans for this insurance option. It is about $450 per year. If you and your family travel a lot it is well worth the peace of mind. Google it on line.

Thanks for your input

Carla

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. You never know when you’ll need it and if you do, you’ll be super glad you have it.

Thanks for your input

Carla

Just make sure you know what you are covered for and may need. Friends got insurance through “cruise line” for an overseas cruis itinerary. Cost was approx $500. Hurricane Irma hit... the purchased insurance covered up to $500 to “catch up with the ship only” (specifically stated under the Hurricane Section). Problem was their house had a tree fall through it, water damage etc. ~ with this happening 2 days prior to travel; obviously they could not go and sadly lost all monies but $200 (of the $4000 spent.). Lesson learned, they were newbies but even myself as a seasoned cruiser had no idea that not all travel insurance was created equally.