First time cruiser...Family of 5

WinkiesAndUs

I am a first time cruiser looking to take my family on a 6-8 night cruise. We have children ages 13, 10 and 8. Would we need to book 2 rooms for our family? If there are 2 queen bed and a couch, can we use the couch as a bed? Best to book a suite?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

WinkiesAndUs

As noted above, there are few cruise lines that have cabins for five. Celebrity has some family cabins for five; Carnival will allow five in a quad cabin in their Fantasy class ships, Sunshine, Victory and Triumph. The Dream class and Vista have deluxe oceanview cabins for five with a split bath (two showers). EM

I am a first time cruiser looking to take my family on a 6-8 night cruise. We have children ages 13, 10 and 8. Would we need to book 2 rooms for our family? If there are 2 queen bed and a couch, can we use the couch as a bed? Best to book a suite?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

WinkiesAndUs

I'd go for two staterooms, for the two bathrooms.

Royal Caribbean offers some family cabins that will sleep up to 6. They have a queen bed, a sleeper sofa, and a bunk room with two bunks. Also have a walk in closet. Only one bathroom, but does have a tub.

When our children were young the four of us would go in one room.

Even at that the challenge was the bathroom.

I would look for two rooms. A few cruise lines may have suites that accommodate five but if they do I would not recommend it unless there were two bathrooms.

I would get a Travel Agent who specializes in cruises to help you with this. We are not allowed to give TA recommendations so I would ask friends who cruise if they have a recommendation.

Keith

I think Carnival has a few cabins for 5 and in some cases may have a roll-a-way available which is folded up each day or a trundle bed under a bed. Any cabin with a sofa can be made sofa as a bed. Often there is a pull down over the sofa.

If you get two cabins make sure they are connected with a door to the other cabin in each cabin. Then you do not have to go into the hall to get to the other cabin.

Most ships state an adult must be in a cabin with any child. But, the room steward doesn't know where everyone sleeps and if they are adjoining cabins you can leave other cabin door open.

The vast majority of cruise ship cabins have two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a king sized bed. Then, cabins that can accommodate more than two will have a couch that can be used as a bed and/or a "pullman" type bed that folds down from the wall. Cruise ship cabins are tiny compared to most hotels rooms. Two queen beds would completely fill most. Unlike hotels, there's no "sneaking" in more people than you've booked. Everyone has to have a berth and a seat in a lifeboat. Two cabins is your best bet.

Hi,

We are a family of 5. The kids are now 14, 13, and 10. We have been on both NCL and RC with the kids. Your options are one room for 5 or 2 staterooms. We have done both. NCL family rooms are on Deck 5. That does not bother most people. I like to be higher..it is irrational.:') The rooms for 5 are bigger but there is only one bathroom. If you are a family that takes a while to get ready, one bathroom is not ideal. You are looking at between 1-2 hours just to get ready for dinner or a show after you have gotten off the ship and come back sweaty or gross. We now shower in shifts when we have one room.

I like 2 rooms. I would go that way if given a choice. But sometimes one room is cheaper. For the RC family rooms, you have to call. You cannot get to them online to book (unless that has changed recently).

We have been on both lines several times and I like both for different reasons. If you have any questions, let me know. I hope this helped. Good luck in finding what you are looking for!