Cell phone usage with verizon wireless

I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who told me that for $10.00/ day (while in port) I can use my phone as normal without incurring any additional charges. Talk, text, and data. Has anyone done this that can confirm? I want to make sure I did not misunderstand. I don't want to be using my phone as if I have unlimited access, to find an unexpected, crazy expensive bill the following month.

I just got off the phone with a Verizon rep who told me that for $10.00/ day (while in port) I can use my phone as normal without incurring any additional charges. Talk, text, and data. Has anyone done this that can confirm? I want to make sure I did not misunderstand. I don't want to be using my phone as if I have unlimited access, to find an unexpected, crazy expensive bill the following month.

Look on Verizon's website under travel plans. It will show you exactly what you have to spend to get unlimited calling in a given country.

You have to sign up for the plan (can't remember plan name). Various countries cost various amounts. Go on their website for a pricing and country break down. Essentially for the daily fee you use your current plan allowances as if you were home. I use it for my yearly trips to Canada.

Roadsofa

The rep is correct. Verizon has what is called a Travel Pass, which gives you access to your domestic talk, text and data allowances in hundreds of countries, the majority of which are $10 per 24 hour period. Canada and Mexico are $5 per 24 hour period. We have done this many times and have never been charged more than the stated rate. Check out the international travel section on their website and use their interactive travel planner to plan you trip. When you input the ship name, you need to put Royal Caribbean in front of the ship name for the interactive planner to find your ship.

I can confirm TravelPass for Verizon. Have used it often. Make sure it is turned on for your account. For $10 per day you use your phone's regular calling plan.

There is no charge unless you use it. It won't work on the ship but will work on most islands.

It allows you to use your regular phone plan minutes, texting, and Internet outside of the U.S.

It costs $10 per day, but only on the days you use it. Once your phone connects to the network you are charged $10 which covers the 24 hour period starting from when you connected. It crosses islands, so if you connect at noon on one island the $10 covers you until noon the next day, even on another island.

Here is a list of places it will work:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plan...ass-countries/

It won't work on the ship but will work on most islands.

Let me clarify that many ships have a cell phone tower and your phone will work on the ship, but the ship's cell phone service is NOT included in TravelPass and the $10 fee does not cover you on the ship. You will pay by the minute and by the text message if you use the ship's cell phone service.

Therefore, put your phone in airplane mode on the ship, and take it out of airplane mode on an island if you want to use TravelPass.

Also, you need to turn on TravelPass for each phone before your trip. No charge to turn it on, only to use it.

You have to sign up for the plan (can't remember plan name). Various countries cost various amounts. Go on their website for a pricing and country break down. Essentially for the daily fee you use your current plan allowances as if you were home. I use it for my yearly trips to Canada.

Roadsofa

It's called Global Plan. Works very well !!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. Only like to check phone messages/emails once or twice while cruising. We'll be in the Bahamas on a cruise. If I only turn the phone on one or two days, the charge will only be $10/day so $20.00?

Yes. $10 per 24 hour period, which starts when you first turn it on and use it. If you use it on day 2 and on day 6 of your cruise it will cost $20.

The rep is correct. Verizon has what is called a Travel Pass, which gives you access to your domestic talk, text and data allowances in hundreds of countries, the majority of which are $10 per 24 hour period. Canada and Mexico are $5 per 24 hour period. We have done this many times and have never been charged more than the stated rate. Check out the international travel section on their website and use their interactive travel planner to plan you trip. When you input the ship name, you need to put Royal Caribbean in front of the ship name for the interactive planner to find your ship.

When I input Mexico, I get the $5 per day plan.

When I input a cruise ship, I don't get that, I get a pay as you go plan.

Question:

If you're at sea, do you get the $5 rate or do you get charge differently?

Question:

TravelPass does not work at sea. At sea you will be charged by the minute for phone calls, by the message for text messages, and by the megabyte for data usage.

Question:

As stated above, NO.

There are a few carriers out there that allow you to send/receive a text for 5 cents or 50 cents but Cellular At Sea phone calls generally gets you a $2.99/minute charge. And you can get this charge for calls going to voice mail. And folks regularly get hit with huge charges for data - every time an app updates. General rule is turn cellular and data OFF while on the ship. WiFi is fairly safe - you can connect to the ship network with Royal app and can connect to the internet if you buy a plan and log on. No hidden charges there.

I travel a lot for work as well as Cruising and have Verizon.

You do have to sign up for travel pass and if you have more than one line (family plan) you have to activate each individual line: but my understanding is that the per day cost is somewhat dependent on your base plan.

Travel pass with my plan allows me to use my data internationally, text and voice. Mexico is Free, most other countries are $10/day but a few other counties are something in between.

When I come out of airplane mode in a different foreign country for the first time I get a (free) text from Verizon welcoming me to the country and alerting me what the charge will be and I get a reminder 23 hrs later saying another charge will trigger if I’m on cell in an hour.

I’m not 100% sure of this, but I think it resets and recharges you when you change countries. We turned it on to make some calls as we were waiting to leave Jamaica in the late afternoon. Ended up we needed it for GC the next morning to get ahold of our tour operator.. we got a separate $10 charge for that even though we were only out of airplane mode for about 2hrs one day and 10 minutes the next day.

I used to get charged $2.95 for Mexico, but when I changed our base plan those charges went away.

When we cruise without our kids, we like to check in with them daily. I tried to convince DW, that getting daily passes on the three sea days made more sense than a weekly plan since we could check in from shore on the three port days and Debark day. But had to agree it was still nice for them to be able to whats app or text us in case of emergency once we were at sea on a port day.

So DW gets an Internet plan with the ship, and if we want to make calls or use the internet on shore, we use my phone on travel pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question:

No $5 rate for the ships, Verizon is pay as you go on the cruise ships. Rates are $2.99 per minute for calls and 50 cents/5 cents to send/receive texts. Verizon also does not support cellular data on cruise ships any longer.

I can confirm TravelPass for Verizon. Have used it often. Make sure it is turned on for your account. For $10 per day you use your phone's regular calling plan.

There is no charge unless you use it. It won't work on the ship but will work on most islands.

It allows you to use your regular phone plan minutes, texting, and Internet outside of the U.S.

It costs $10 per day, but only on the days you use it. Once your phone connects to the network you are charged $10 which covers the 24 hour period starting from when you connected. It crosses islands, so if you connect at noon on one island the $10 covers you until noon the next day, even on another island.

Here is a list of places it will work:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plan...ass-countries/

Thanks for the link. I just check it and all the countries we are going to for our Ovation cruises (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, South Korea and China) are $10 per day. :D

No $5 rate for the ships, Verizon is pay as you go on the cruise ships. Rates are $2.99 per minute for calls and 50 cents/5 cents to send/receive texts. Verizon also does not support cellular data on cruise ships any longer.

That's an important distinction. I would hate it if someone read this thread and thought they could get $5 per day while at sea. I suspect the verizon plans are only in effect while the ship is in port. Once you leave the port, you're not in Mexico anymore and the ships rates apply.

That's an important distinction. I would hate it if someone read this thread and thought they could get $5 per day while at sea. I suspect the verizon plans are only in effect while the ship is in port. Once you leave the port, you're not in Mexico anymore and the ships rates apply.

The OP specifically asks about the prices in port. The interactive travel planner on Verizon's website gives you the cost options in port for the ports you choose and the cost options for shipboard use. It is all detailed out.

No where in this thread has anyone said that it will cost $5 per day at sea.

Anyone use an unlocked phone/international SIM? That is what I always used in Europe and will be retuning to the Med in October so I just ordered a SPEEEK sim from Amazon for $14.99 which includes $8 of calling credit. Looks like you get a designated US phone number and most calls you make or receive in Europe are no more than .05 cents a minute. The SIM searches the best carrier wherever you are. I know the Verizon Travel Pass is a good emergency option as well but my unlocked Samsung Flight + SIM card will come in handy while in ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The OP specifically asks about the prices in port. The interactive travel planner on Verizon's website gives you the cost options in port for the ports you choose and the cost options for shipboard use. It is all detailed out.

No where in this thread has anyone said that it will cost $5 per day at sea.

I realize that. There's nothing wrong in making sure that no one is confused and thinks those rates applied at sea. For example, one poster mentioned explicitly to put the name of the ship into the planner. That could be confusing causing some to think otherwise.

Yes I did this and yes it's true. he best way to do it is to start the "day" in the latter afternoon, then it goes till the next afternoon( full 24 hours) to start it again.... it worked out great for me. I could send things out for the full day and board the ship knowing the next morning on land I was good to go.

Thanks for the info. Only like to check phone messages/emails once or twice while cruising. We'll be in the Bahamas on a cruise. If I only turn the phone on one or two days, the charge will only be $10/day so $20.00?

g

yep total $20. I just had to get in the habit of turning off the phone( airplane mode) before boarding.... I even played pokemon in port(the grands thought that was great when I caught things not in the US mainland.

Hi,

If you stay at a hotel pre or post cruise in a different country you should be able to use their Wi-Fi to make calls (face-time) text and surf for free correct? No need to purchase the Verizon plan, unless you are in an area where there is no Wi-Fi.

ML