Birthday dinner on the royal

juliet

Have you looked at the sample menus on the Princess website?.....from that, you can decide what kinds of food might appeal.

I have. That's the problem. We like everything. Would like to know the most upscale restaurant in ambiance and food.

Since Royal was in the title I will go with that. Personally my DW and I tend toward the Crown Grill. It is Princess’s version of an upscale steak house. She is not a steak eater but they have both lobster and sea bass as selections, as well as other non beef items. The sides and soup/salad are a step up as well. I am sure others will step in and prefer Sabatini’s. It really depends on your preferences. Either will be an experience better than the MDR for a special occasion, with better food selections as well as more personalized service.

Since Royal was in the title I will go with that. Personally my DW and I tend toward the Crown Grill. It is Princess’s version of an upscale steak house. She is not a steak eater but they have both lobster and sea bass as selections, as well as other non beef items. The sides and soup/salad are a step up as well. I am sure others will step in and prefer Sabatini’s. It really depends on your preferences. Either will be an experience better than the MDR for a special occasion, with better food selections as well as more personalized service.

Thanks. We were looking at those two. Will choose one of them.

would you be open to celebrating with other people for a 'different' dining experience?

I'm thinking Captains Table or Winemakers Dinner, and we've never been to either and have no clue if they are offered on your cruise...:cool:

would you be open to celebrating with other people for a 'different' dining experience?

I'm thinking Captains Table or Winemakers Dinner, and we've never been to either and have no clue if they are offered on your cruise...:cool:

Not sure but I'll certainly look into it. Thanks

Winemakers Dinner is great ($40) & is only available on the Royal & Regal.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner ($100/couple) is another great option but with 4 dining you’d need a large balcony.

I enjoy Sabatini’s & Crown Grill but for a special event would chose the CG because we prefer their entrées. Ambiance was similar & we usually have great service.

Winemakers Dinner is great ($40) but it’s only available on the Royal & Regal & don’t know which ship you’re sailing.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner ($100/couple) is another great option but with 4 dining you’d need a large balcony.

I enjoy Sabatini’s & Crown Grill but for a special event would chose the CG because we prefer their entrées. Ambiance was similar & we usually have great service.

Thank you. Would love the winemakers dinner possibly but haven't seen it on the website. Will look again.

Thank you. Would love the winemakers dinner possibly but haven't seen it on the website. Will look again.

I edited my post after noticing you’re sailing on the Royal...oops! ;)

Here are links to the Winemakers Dinner menus & all 4 times it’s been the Michael Mondavi menu because it’s most popular with passengers.

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/wine_makers_menu_2-oct-13_without_price.pdf

The dinner is served in a “wine cellar” area in both anytime dining rooms (Concerto & Symphony) and you could search online for photos.

The menus are not on their website & it can only be reserved onboard the ship. Like the Chef’s Table ($115) participation is very limited so call the DINE line immediately after boarding. Also like the CT, they put you on a list & contact you later to confirm a date, time (we met at 6:45) & where to meet.

It’s only $11 more than the CG and it’s been great food, service & free flowing wine. The ambiance is also great seated at a table for 12 in their wine cellar. :D

Here’s a link to a photo of the Wine Cellar:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292055&d=1383702756

Edited by Astro Flyer

You cannot pre book the winemakers dinner. Call the DINE line when you board. While you cannot guarantee it will be on your birthday-it will be an amazing dinner and worth every penny! Super Tuscan dinner in Sabatini’s is also great but not as much wine. [emoji6] just ask the dine line about that as well. It’s only one night on the cruise and only available on Royal and Regal.

Enjoy your birthday dinner wherever you end up eating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the ROYAL they also have the super Tuscan wine dinner held in Sabatini ( they close it to public that night) I think $60 p/p and it is amazing food and wine parings. We did it last December and sailed with our daughter and a friend of hers. They sang happy birthday to her and brought her a cake. It was the night of her actual birthday.

on the ROYAL they also have the super Tuscan wine dinner held in Sabatini ( they close it to public that night) I think $60 p/p and it is amazing food and wine parings. We did it last December and sailed with our daughter and a friend of hers. They sang happy birthday to her and brought her a cake. It was the night of her actual birthday.

On the Royal’s October TA cruise it was $105 because one of the wines served was from a $527 bottle of Masseto wine. We’d reserve it at $60 but not at $105 which was more than we were willing to pay.

Thanks. Just noticed when I went on to make a reservation, you can't make one for the first night which is the night we were going to celebrate. Bummer.

Yes, they are both on the Royal.

The Captain's Table on Royal looks amazing from pix and videos I've seen. Have to admit, haven't done CT on the Royal. We did it on the Crown and it was worth twice what we paid.:D

OP: your other option is a balcony dinner...IF you have a balcony and IF it's one of the big balconies.:eek:

Thanks. Just noticed when I went on to make a reservation, you can't make one for the first night which is the night we were going to celebrate. Bummer.

Then Crown Grill & Sabatini's would be your only options because the WM Dinner, ST Dinner & Chef's Table Lumiere won't be an option of the first night.

Yes, they are both on the Royal.

The Captain's Table on Royal looks amazing from pix and videos I've seen. Have to admit, haven't done CT on the Royal. We did it on the Crown and it was worth twice what we paid.:D

OP: your other option is a balcony dinner...IF you have a balcony and IF it's one of the big balconies.:eek:

We've enjoyed the UBD twice on the standard 9'x4' Royal/Regal balconies but with 4 of them they'd definitely need a larger balcony if they could do in on another evening.

For something really special if money is not a big issue for all 4 of you I can highly recommend the Chef's Table. Royal has a special "Luminier" Chef's Table. That Luminere screen is gorgeous!!!! You need to call the DINE LINE immediately as soon as you board. It is kind of on a request basis. Telling them it is a birthday, might help. Also I have heard raves about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (UBD), more romantic for a couple.

For basic specialty dining I do like the Crown Grill and the Crab shack

We celebrated my birthday last month on the Royal with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. We ate at the Crown Grill earlier in the cruise and enjoyed that meal as well. I like the extras we get with the UBD: drinks, flowers, photo, champagne.