12 suitcases and more....!?

AmandaLMcL

2 hours ago, Aquadesiac said:

When we did the 2018 Princess World Cruise, I was surprised that we had to keep our empty luggage in our stateroom. On all our previous cruises, our empty suitcases disappeared after we unloaded them and miraculously reappeared the day before disembarkation. Fortunately, the DH managed to cram them all under the bed, but that could've been a serious problem.

Was your cruise on Pacific Princess?  If so, she simply may not have the space to store excess luggage.

2 hours ago, Aquadesiac said:

When we did the 2018 Princess World Cruise, I was surprised that we had to keep our empty luggage in our stateroom. On all our previous cruises, our empty suitcases disappeared after we unloaded them and miraculously reappeared the day before disembarkation. Fortunately, the DH managed to cram them all under the bed, but that could've been a serious problem.

Was your cruise on Pacific Princess?  If so, she simply may not have the space to store excess luggage.

We were on Insignia ... about the same size as PP.  They had a shipping container aboard to store the excess luggage brought aboard by the RTW passengers.  It was painted white to sort of blend in with the superstructure and is now a permanent structure on one of the outside decks ... high up so it isn't underfoot or taking up space that would otherwise be used by passengers.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 8:06 AM, Aquadesiac said:

Sounds like Oceania had its rocks in a row. 

Yep, I'm on Insignia now (doing the world cruise) and they stored whatever suitcases we wanted. I brought 4 large ones, a 22" carry on and a small carry on. I kept one of the large pieces for under the bed (it's open) to keep souvenirs and excess toiletries in. Also kept the 22" carry on under the bed because I'll be going on 4 overland tours so I'll need to pack my stuff in it. But the rest are being stored. 

How I envy you, Go Bucks. Since the Prize Patrol didn't hit my house, it'll be 2021 before we do our 2nd world cruise.

I just re-read that last sentence, and I realize what a spoiled rotten baby I sound like. I'm blessed to have been able to go around this beautiful blue ball once.  

2020 is our year of sharing. We're planning to take my parents and our kids to Alaska for a week. Anybody ever get a discount for booking 4 balconies on one cruise?  It'll be wonderful to enjoy the trip with our fam!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

Yep, I'm on Insignia now (doing the world cruise) and they stored whatever suitcases we wanted. I brought 4 large ones, a 22" carry on and a small carry on. I kept one of the large pieces for under the bed (it's open) to keep souvenirs and excess toiletries in. Also kept the 22" carry on under the bed because I'll be going on 4 overland tours so I'll need to pack my stuff in it. But the rest are being stored. 

You're travelling alone, right?  4 big suitcases plus a 22" carry-on?  Wow, that's a lot.  I'm trying to imagine the two of us taking more than 2 l25", 2 22", plus small carry-ons for valuables, laptop (plus shopping bags full of toiletries).  Have you had a lot of cold weather on this cruise?  That could explain it, ha ha.  And of course your cruise is 6 months, mine will only be 4.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, Aquadesiac said:

How I envy you, Go Bucks. Since the Prize Patrol didn't hit my house, it'll be 2021 before we do our 2nd world cruise.

I just re-read that last sentence, and I realize what a spoiled rotten baby I sound like. I'm blessed to have been able to go around this beautiful blue ball once.  

2020 is our year of sharing. We're planning to take my parents and our kids to Alaska for a week. Anybody ever get a discount for booking 4 balconies on one cruise?  It'll be wonderful to enjoy the trip with our fam!

I just want to get around the blue ball once!  This year, and 2020 are our years of SAVING!  Lucky you.  We'll not be suffering too much, winters in Florida, summer at the cottage, plus great times at home in the city.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

On 5/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

You're travelling alone, right?  

I just want to get around the blue ball once!  

No, I'm traveling with a friend.  She brought 3 large suitcases, but we have enough storage space for everything! Nothing hanging on walls or doors except for the shoe racks we each have that hang on the inside of our closet doors.  We have a penthouse suite which is a pretty decent size so that helps. 

Unless someone gives me a bunch of money or some long lost relative leaves me an inheritance, this will be my one and only world cruise....and I'm also not complaining because it's been a magnificent experience that I'll cherish forever and I'm eternally grateful that God blessed me with this trip. 

I have booked one more longish cruise (in 2020)...circumnavigating South America with Easter Island for 2 months. After that it will likely be cheap last minute cruises. Plus I haven't traveled much in the USA so I'll do some of that too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I so agree.  No silly formal nights for us, and really, people don't care what you wear.  I'm over the whole 'cruisewear' thing.

But don't forget the boredom factor.  On our 3-month Grand Asia cruise, we each shipped one 28", one 25" and took an overnight.  We also shipped two cartons of toiletries, OTC, multi-hangers, etc.  The boxes came in handy for shipping gifts back home.  But despite the no. of suitcases, I was ready for more diversity by the end of the cruise.  The next time I would choose a few more colorful or floral items.  Beige and black was getting pretty boring.

36 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

But don't forget the boredom factor.  On our 3-month Grand Asia cruise, we each shipped one 28", one 25" and took an overnight.  We also shipped two cartons of toiletries, OTC, multi-hangers, etc.  The boxes came in handy for shipping gifts back home.  But despite the no. of suitcases, I was ready for more diversity by the end of the cruise.  The next time I would choose a few more colorful or floral items.  Beige and black was getting pretty boring.

Yeah, I've thought about that, and I think it's very good advice. I've also thought about the everyday t-shirts and pants scenarios on all of the (hot country) excursions.  I think I'm going to be wearing out this type of clothing, and wishing for something new.  But then again, there's always interesting shopping in many countries.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:56 AM, Ombud said:

4months would be way to expensive for a solo 

There are 52 solos on our world cruise (6 months long) and many of them are in Penthouse suites!!  Cheapest solo price is $70K for an inside, but is all inclusive except for alcohol unless you choose that for your OLife perk.

11 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Ha ha, that's great, and a great idea!  What were your favourite clothing ports?

Everywhere in Asia, Polynesia, Myanmar, Philippines for shoes (now I know why Imelda Marcos had so many) and now Greece. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are taking a Costa world cruise in January.  I read that many people ship some of their luggage to and from the cruise shop and we thought we'd do that also.  

But checking a few web sites that seems to be very expensive. Seems like it would be almost $ 1,000 to pick up two largest suitcases in South Carolina, send to the cruise ship in Venice and then send back.  For that kind of money I think we could easily pay porters at the airports, the hotels in Venice and the taxis we'll need for the extra "handling" needed to get to and from the cruise ship. We can easily handle our usual 22" suitcases and carry-ons, which is what we usually take to Europe.  Even for a six week trip.

What am I missing?  What have you all paid to ship luggage?

1 hour ago, LynnTTT said:

My husband and I are taking a Costa world cruise in January.  I read that many people ship some of their luggage to and from the cruise shop and we thought we'd do that also.  

But checking a few web sites that seems to be very expensive. Seems like it would be almost $ 1,000 to pick up two largest suitcases in South Carolina, send to the cruise ship in Venice and then send back.  For that kind of money I think we could easily pay porters at the airports, the hotels in Venice and the taxis we'll need for the extra "handling" needed to get to and from the cruise ship. We can easily handle our usual 22" suitcases and carry-ons, which is what we usually take to Europe.  Even for a six week trip.

What am I missing?  What have you all paid to ship luggage?

Unfortunately, can't help with the price, as Viking includes luggage shipping in the base fare.

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, can't help with the price, as Viking includes luggage shipping in the base fare.

Heidi:  I get it.....you love Viking 😉

We have pretty much decided we'll take all the luggage with us.  I was always a little worried about pieces not showing up anyway.  One less thing to fret about.

We'll just pay porters and taxi drivers a little extra to schlep the two extra large suitcases to the airport check-in/ taxi to hotel/taxi to ship and reverse. Add a hundred bucks to the trip. So we'll have four suitcases and two carry-on.   

Lynn, we checked two large suitcases each, and hauled a 20 inch rolling carry-on each, a backpack, as well as my medical equipment (a cpap, & my portable O2 concentrator) on the plane with us when we did our 2018 WC on Princess. It was a lot to keep track of, but I liked knowing it was all there. 

Just a thought...if Business class airfare is within reach, you can check 2 large suitcases apiece with 70 pound weight limits instead of 50 without an extra charge. 

Whatever you do, check the big pieces curbside if you can. That way you have less to waggle through TSA. And by all means, hire a porter right away. Your backs will thank you.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

I agree, we've never had our luggage shipped in the past because it's just too expensive.  Luckily our upcoming cruise covers it, which will be nice.  Able to travel light has a certain appeal, although a lot to plan since I believe you have to have suitcases ready quite a few days in advance.

I will second the notion of trying for Business Air.  If not, try for Premium Economy.  Depending on the carrier, that class may have a higher luggage allowance.

And remember, you won't need nearly as much as you think you will.

Amen to that, Wendy. We never really need as much as we pack. I'm throwing some things together for a little 6 day trip we're planning toward the end of the month. I laid out the following pieces on my bed this morning:

14 item wardrobe capsule

Pants-Black, Navy, white capris, Jeans

Tops—Black tank, navy tank, white tank, blue print tunic, teal tunic, multi-print sharkbite hem tank

Toppers—salmon sweater, olive sweater, black cardigan, black & white kimono

Just for grins, I decided to see how many different outfits I could create with these 14 pieces. I quit counting at 41!

• Like 1

I like to have a few spare outfits when I travel. Since I started having the "power surges" of menopause a few years ago, I never know when I may need a complete change! Ah, dubious joys of that eternal, internal summer...