Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...

wwcruisers

3 hours ago, eroller said:

I gave that some thought too.  It would be awesome, but too far to reach on a 4-5 day cruise.   

3 hours ago, timf2001 said:

No, it's in the British Virgin Islands.  The schedule provided only works for a destination in the Bahamas or Florida Keys.

Would have been nice though. I hope it’s not Nassau as that is not a “Secret Location” at least to me.

20 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Would have been nice though. I hope it’s not Nassau as that is not a “Secret Location” at least to me.

Hopefully not Nassau or Freeport, but it could be Bimini.  

There is also the possibility of another cruise lines private beach island.  Seems unlikely though the more I think about it.  They are so heavily branded.  Does VV really want their pax to experience Royal Caribbean, NCL, Disney, or Princess for the day?  Probability not.  

2 hours ago, eroller said:

There is also the possibility of another cruise lines private beach island.  Seems unlikely though the more I think about it.  They are so heavily branded.  Does VV really want their pax to experience Royal Caribbean, NCL, Disney, or Princess for the day?  Probability not.  

You make a good point about the branding, so it will be interesting to learn where this location is. I also hope they announce more sailings beyond October 2020 and some 7 day sailings. 

8 minutes ago, eroller said:

Fun map!   

Technically the Bahamas is not the Caribbean, so that would leave out Bimini, Nassau, and Freeport.  Also forget Key West.  Inspired by Necker Island. Interesting.  

Technicalities aside, there is no place other than these areas that fits the schedule that VV has released. Havana After Dark is the most restrictive itinerary, so let's look at the criteria that must be met.

Depart Miami 7:00PM, Arrive Secret Location 8:00AM

13 hours @ avg. 20kts = within 260nm of Miami

Depart Secret Location 6:30PM, Arrive Havana 9:30AM

15 hours @ avg. 20kts = within 300nm of Havana

This means the secret location has to be somewhere where these two circles intersect (obviously north of Cuba):

image.png.058a90baec0c999fb48e30306954e380.png

Most people don’t realize that the Bahamas are separate from the Caribbean, and I don’t expect VV to know the difference either.  So that probably doesn’t mean much.  

What they consider “inspired by Necker” is anyone’s guess.  They can probably PR spin that with any number of islands.  Bimini is the most off the beaten track as far as tourists and cruise ships, so they could consider that inspired by Necker.  Who knows?   Bimini is closer to Florida than any other Bahamian island, so logistically very desirable.  A pier was built for the short lived ferry service from Miami, but not sure it’s suitable for Scarlet Lady.  

Edited by eroller

6 hours ago, eroller said:

Agree. Stopping at another cruise line's private island is a huge conflict with Virgin's "we're the cruise line for non-cruisers" strategy. 

Awhile ago, I pointed out Key West port calls that were originally under the name "Virgin" and have since became "No Name". The ship arrives every other Thursday from Miami at 8am and departs for Havana. This lines up perfectly with the Havana After Dark sailings departing on Wednesdays. We'll see if that pans out. 

I'm also wondering about the construction status. Seems super far along.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

27 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Awhile ago, I pointed out Key West port calls that were originally under the name "Virgin" and have since became "No Name". The ship arrives every other Thursday from Miami at 8am and departs for Havana. This lines up perfectly with the Havana After Dark sailings departing on Wednesdays. We'll see if that pans out. 

Absolutely could be Key West.  I don’t really consider that the Caribbean or inspired by Necker, but a spin can be put on pretty much anything.  

I cant say these itineraries are anything but meh.  You can do the exact same on any number of cruise lines. I was hoping for something more original.  

8 hours ago, eroller said:

You can do the exact same on any number of cruise lines. I was hoping for something more original.  

Like what? Where can a 110K GT ship go that others haven't already been?

Edited by Biker19

Scarlet Lady

The Scarlet Lady touched the water for the first time for Virgin Voyages on Friday at Fincantieri. The first ship from the new cruise brand starts revenue service from the Port of Miami in April 2020.

Tom McAlpin, president and CEO, Virgin Voyages, was on hand for the ceremony along with Luigi Matarazzo, director of the Merchant Ships Division at Fincantieri and Paolo Capobianco, director of the plant at the shipyard.

Giuliana Rindone, an employee of the Sestri shipyard, was the godmother for the float out ceremony, cutting the ribbon that triggered a champagne bottle to crash against the hull of the ship at Finacntieri’s Sestri facility.

Scarlet Lady

With the ship now in the water and steel work on the hull complete, attention will turn to interior outfitting on the 110,000-ton, 2,770-guest ship.

With the Scarlet Lady nearing completion, Fincantieri and Virgin also celebration the coin ceremony for Virgin’s second ship, which is scheduled to be delivered in the second quarter of 2021.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Like what? Where can a 100K GT ship go that others haven't already been?

I don’t know.  I’m not a new and innovative cruise line that hinted at unique itineraries.  Nothing unique so far though.  The fact they decided to go with short cruises put a lot of limitations on them.  I would have liked to see something longer thrown in, like 7 and 8 day cruises every now and then that did something different.  

1 minute ago, eroller said:

The fact they decided to go with short cruises put a lot of limitations on them.  I would have liked to see something longer thrown in, like 7 and 8 day cruises every now and then that did something different.  

The itinerary limitation is likely due to limited days it can use a terminal at POM - once they get their own terminal, they can do the longer ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

The itinerary limitation is likely due to limited days it can use a terminal at POM - once they get their own terminal, they can do the longer ones.

Yes I realize that, but still it wasn’t anticipated by me at least.  Perception plays a big role, and the perception based on what VV was putting out there was that it would be something more.  

I would have liked some European itineraries before the ship came to Miami and even the inaugural crossing as a revenue cruise.  I know a lot of people that put down a deposit were hoping for that inaugural crossing.  Wasn’t meant to be.  At least I’m not remotely disappointed for getting my deposit refunded some time ago.  I’ll still sail on VV because I love trying new things, but I no longer feel any urgency.  Living in Fort Lauderdale I’m sure the opportunity to sail on a VV short cruise will eventually present itself.  But a deposit over a year in advance?  Unnecessary from what I’ve seen so far.  

I think we'll see Scarlet Lady add some longer itineraries for Winter 2020 once Sunday becomes unavailable for departures.  If MSC maintains a schedule similar to Winter 2019, it could be 5 & 9 day itineraries departing on Friday and Wednesday.  They could also do a 6 & 8 day rotation on Thursday and Wednesday.

The second ship will likely debut in Europe for Summer 2021 and then come to Miami in Winter 2021, just in time for the opening of the dedicated terminal.  At that point they could settle into a more traditional 7 day Saturday & Sunday rotation, or keep one ship on a 4/5/5 day schedule for sailors who'd prefer a shorter voyage.

10 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I'm also wondering about the construction status. Seems super far along.

I was thinking the same thing. With over a year to go I didn't think it took that long on other ship builds to complete the interior fittings. Then again VV is doing things differently. 

I would think the secret location would be a private island.  There’s no reason to say ok, the secret location is Key West or Bimin etc...that would be very anti climatic.  Since Branson has a history of buying his own islands, why not....and create a hedonistic spot of his own.  I agree with others that they arent going to dock at another cruise lines private island....VV wants to be different and set themselves apart from other types of cruise lines.  

22 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

I would think the secret location would be a private island.  There’s no reason to say ok, the secret location is Key West or Bimin etc...that would be very anti climatic.  Since Branson has a history of buying his own islands, why not....and create a hedonistic spot of his own.  I agree with others that they arent going to dock at another cruise lines private island....VV wants to be different and set themselves apart from other types of cruise lines.  

I think it’s very unlikely to be their own private island.  It takes an enormous amount of time to acquire one of these islands, obtain the necessary approvals, permits, and public support, then develop it.  MSC, Carnival, and Disney are all in the process of developing new private beach experiences, and it’s taken years just to get where they are.  MSC’s has already been delayed over a year.  Also these developments tend to be very public as they require government approval, and often times there is a backlash from local citizens.  It’s very difficult to keep them a secret.