Love Princess but Trying Royal - Good Idea?

sjmbruce

My cruise experience is limited to four cruises - one on NCL, the other three on Princess.

I really love Princess. The food in the MDR is good and even though I don't always like the buffet, I like the hours it is open, including the snacks during non meal time hours. I love that the ships that I have been on have a grill, pizza and ice cream by the pool(s). I loved the International Cafe on the Coral and the Ruby.

I like that Princess is a little more low key and focuses on relaxation. Although maybe the entertainment could get repetitive if you sailed Princess constantly, I enjoy the comedians other shows provided.

For me, the only thing that I liked more on NCL was the room decor. It was modern and artsy without being gaudy and I preferred that to how the cabins on Princess are decorated and furnished.

So, here's the question. My husband and I are hoping to take a cruise with my family later this year. The cruise will be with Royal Caribbean. It is a 7 day cruise of the Southern Caribbean on the Adventure of the Seas.

Have any other lovers of Princess cruised with Royal? What are your thoughts?

My cruise experience is limited to four cruises - one on NCL, the other three on Princess.

I really love Princess. The food in the MDR is good and even though I don't always like the buffet, I like the hours it is open, including the snacks during non meal time hours. I love that the ships that I have been on have a grill, pizza and ice cream by the pool(s). I loved the International Cafe on the Coral and the Ruby.

I like that Princess is a little more low key and focuses on relaxation. Although maybe the entertainment could get repetitive if you sailed Princess constantly, I enjoy the comedians other shows provided.

For me, the only thing that I liked more on NCL was the room decor. It was modern and artsy without being gaudy and I preferred that to how the cabins on Princess are decorated and furnished.

So, here's the question. My husband and I are hoping to take a cruise with my family later this year. The cruise will be with Royal Caribbean. It is a 7 day cruise of the Southern Caribbean on the Adventure of the Seas.

Then you will really love the Regal/Royal they are the best we will not cruise on any other Princess ship.

I have only taken one cruise before and it was on RCCL. I am scheduled for a 7 day on Princess in a month. So my limited experience does not make me an expert. That said this is my feeling on not just cruising but on vacation travel in general. If it is what you want to do, then do it and don't worry about what other people think. It is your time, money and vacation so you are the only one that really counts, except in my case it what my DW and I both want even if I make 99% of the vacation destination decisions.

Royal Caribbean is a different product. It caters to kids and families, and is second only to Disney in that regard. Good teen programs and activities. I think the entertainment is excellent, the food not as good as Princess. They are infamous for "nickel and diming" you to death. For instance, some of their ships have (or had) a Johnny Rocket's restaurant. This was an upcharge venue for lunch or dinner, the upcharge did not include the milkshake (which was a separate fee), and a kid couldn't go without a parent. So, while the initial upcharge wasn't much...you'd multiply it by 3 or 4 before you could get out of there. Obviously there were soda cards, total beverage packages, and all the things you'd expect, but there just seemed to be a lot more that I'd expect to be included that ended up with a fee.

It's much harder to find that quiet, get away and relax spot. While Princess typically has a good number of kids on board, especially when school is out, you don't usually see them much. On Royal Carib, they are all over the place...and the "adult only" areas are not as large or plentiful as on some ships.

In my experience, there is more alike than different among the lines we've cruised...but there are two that I keep coming back to. Royal Caribbean isn't one of them. It might help if you realize that Celebrity is the upscale cousin in the Royal Carib. line....and Celebrity is a lot more like Princess.

Edited by moki'smommy

I've been on Royal Princess, DCL once, and many times on NCL.

Last September went on my first RC cruise, on Oasis. The buffet was really bad. No hand-washing stations, large portions closed off combined with absurdly limited hours = very crowded. And the food quality was hands down the worst buffet I've had at sea.

With my one Princess cruise being on the Royal, the difference becomes even more extreme (I really enjoyed the buffet on that ship, best buffet I've been to).

Maybe Adventure will be different since it's a little smaller, but check a recent daily planner for the buffet hours. I'd also been spoiled by NCL, where you can ALWAYS get a complimentary meal or snack, and the buffets basically run all day and well into the night. Oasis was just laughably bad in comparison. Still kicking myself for spending the money on that one.

We have only cruised once on Princess but we are about to do a 27 day TA/BI cruise starting in April. Last year (April 2017) we took a RCI cruise to New Zealand on the Radiance. I will only say that we won't be cruising RCI again, unless they have a great itinerary (like our NZ cruise).

Here's why: Except for the staff at the MDR, the rest of the staff was less than any other cruise we have taken ( 7 cruises on HAL, Celebrity, Princess and RC). We found the buffet unusable after the boarding day. The food was terrible, even breakfast. The poached eggs that I usually have looked like they had been there for a loong time, lunchtime did not offer anything other than "lunch meat" labelled as olive loaf or not labelled at all. No sliced turkey, roast beef, or anything recognizable. I don't expect gourmet food at lunch, but I would like a nice turkey, roast beef, ham or tuna salad sandwich. We were told to go try the Park cafe in the Solarium for other choices.

We went to the Park Cafe and it was exactly what we wanted--morning breakfast sandwiches, quiches, fruit, etc. Lunch was good too, with sandwiches, salads, and other items. BUT--potato chips were like an endangered species. They only put out 1 box of chips each day, and once people figured this out, if you didn't get there early, no bag of chips for you. This was Ok with us but did frustrate many pax, who never got a bag of chips because other pax took 8-10 bags each.

My bigger complaint was the staff at Park Cafe, but really everywhere onboard, was always turning their back to you when you went to get something. This got very annoying over our 13 days cruise. I don't expect immediate attention all the time, but when I walk up to a bar or the Park cafe, I expect the staff to acknowledge me after a minute or 2 of politiely waiting. Never happened on this ship.

Our cabin attendant was similar. He never cleaned our cabin when we left, even after leaving the sign out to let him know we were gone. We saw him rarely. It was OK, he did the minimal amount to keep our cabin clean but always on his schedule, not ours. Whenever we saw him in the hall, he was on his phone, apparently speaking with his family.

Also, the shows were pathetic. I remember one in particular that was supposed to be a Beatles tribute band. To say they were terrible would be too kind. We didn't find the entertainment (except the nighly games in the Atrium) to be any good.

It wasn't the end of the world, we still had a great time, but the service was bad and the buffet very disappointing. Princess is much better.

Others may have other different experience, but this was ours. No cruise is ever really bad, IMHO, but RCI did not impress us.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be happy whichever you choose,

ML

We are elite on Princess now 27 cruises. We have cruised Celebrity, Cunard, Crystal, NCL, Holland America, RCCL and a few lines that are no longer around, well over 65 cruises have lost count.

We cruised RCCL a long time ago, when they started to build large ships we changed to Princess and never went back, so I have not current perception.

My advice is try different lines til you find what you really like. A few years ago, we had read cruise on Cunard Queen Mary 2, is something to experience. We had been on the Queen Victoria and loved it so we book the QM2. We found it was not what we expected.

You do not know until you go.

We have been on most Princess ships, have done either the Island or Coral... we have booked Coral for our next cruise, will see, we know some you really like this ship. We will find out for ourselves when we go.

I have only taken one cruise before and it was on RCCL. I am scheduled for a 7 day on Princess in a month. So my limited experience does not make me an expert. That said this is my feeling on not just cruising but on vacation travel in general. If it is what you want to do, then do it and don't worry about what other people think. It is your time, money and vacation so you are the only one that really counts, except in my case it what my DW and I both want even if I make 99% of the vacation destination decisions.

I like your reply. We cruised once on HAL. The rest have been on RCI. Going on Princess for the first time in March to Panama Canal. Looking at it as another adventure, . Haven't been on a Royal ship I didn't like. I plan to enjoy my Princess cruise, it' s 10 nights

I like the Adventure of the Seas class of ship (Voyager class) and think there are a lot of positives. Keep in mind that it is not on of their newer ships, so some decor may be a bit dated but RC are good at keeping their ships looking good. In particular, a nice feature is the Royal Promenade that is great for people watching from the Promenade cafe (not as good/gourmet as the IC) and leisurely strolling inside before dinner or before or after a show. They do kids and family entertainment better than just about anyone (other than Disney but that is its own brand all together). You'll find parades in the Promenade and fantastic and high energy shows and entertainment in general. They have a great skating show and you can even skate as an activity (they rent you skates without a fee). Ofcourse they have a Rock wall and a good mini golf course and generally nice activity/sports areas. I love the grandness of the main diningroom. For a group that includes kids this is a great ship. However take the good with the "bad"... service is not as good as Princess and there are less quiet areas, although you can still find some. The buffet is more generic in variety as well as taste. Personally, I don't like to be pigeonholed into one cruiseline so I think it's good to try a different line to have the type of cruise vacation that you are looking for this time. If your goal is quiet and upscale relaxation, this isn't for you. If you want a nice ship with a lot of wow factors and excellent entertainment, while still being served nicely in the diningroom and not starving in general, try the Adventure of the Seas and see what you think.

Yes, in 2009 we sailed on Mariner of the Seas. Huge ship, but sort of reminded me of an indoor mall. A beaufiful one! The ice skating rink was awesome. I wasn’t as impressed with the food, though. In 2015 we sailed on Brilliance of the Seas. Smaller than the Mariner, but LOTS of glass and a connection to the sea. AgaIn, the food wasn’t as good as Princess. But I didn’t go hungry! My daughter and I made friends with a fun family and hung out with them a lot at night.

I’d love to try one of RCI’s super mega ships for the heck of it.

The only cruise line I wasn’t fond of was NCL.

I agree about that RCI main dining room! Very elegant and two story. That’s the one thing I like better than Princess.(low ceilings.)

I like the Adventure of the Seas class of ship (Voyager class) and think there are a lot of positives. Keep in mind that it is not on of their newer ships, so some decor may be a bit dated but RC are good at keeping their ships looking good. In particular, a nice feature is the Royal Promenade that is great for people watching from the Promenade cafe (not as good/gourmet as the IC) and leisurely strolling inside before dinner or before or after a show. They do kids and family entertainment better than just about anyone (other than Disney but that is its own brand all together). You'll find parades in the Promenade and fantastic and high energy shows and entertainment in general. They have a great skating show and you can even skate as an activity (they rent you skates without a fee). Ofcourse they have a Rock wall and a good mini golf course and generally nice activity/sports areas. I love the grandness of the main diningroom. For a group that includes kids this is a great ship. However take the good with the "bad"... service is not as good as Princess and there are less quiet areas, although you can still find some. The buffet is more generic in variety as well as taste. Personally, I don't like to be pigeonholed into one cruiseline so I think it's good to try a different line to have the type of cruise vacation that you are looking for this time. If your goal is quiet and upscale relaxation, this isn't for you. If you want a nice ship with a lot of wow factors and excellent entertainment, while still being served nicely in the diningroom and not starving in general, try the Adventure of the Seas and see what you think.

We started out cruising RCL and like it but we prefer Princess. It seems like RCL is really trying to appeal to families and we go more as couples these days. We don't need fancy ziplines or ice rinks, we just like a ship with a promenade deck and nice lounges. I do think Princess food is better (subjective of course) and my experience has been that the staff is friendlier on Princess. Overall though, I would go on either line and have a great time. We avoid NCL but even that we would go on for the right price and itinerary. Especially with a family group, you will have a great time.

Personally I have sailed with Royal twice. However, they were on their much smaller and older ships. Our only issues in comparison, FOOD. Food was soooo much better on Princess. Royal did have some decent options and good meals, but not the variety or higher end tastes that you find on Princess. As I'm a bigger guy, food is always a big thing for me, but there will be plenty of choices on Royal's larger ships.

My parents did take a cruise on one of Royal's larger ships, with a balcony over the interior gardens, and loved it.

Enjoy your cruise no matter what line. Because honestly, when it comes down to it, you're still on a cruise.

I have cruised the most on Princess with RCCL second. If you want a ship experience (especially the biggies!) I recommend at least one RCCL cruise. However, I usually decide which line I will use on itinerary and not price. Therefore, I do more Princess than RCCL. Did a 12 day Med. cruise RT Barcelona on the Brilliance and it was fine. I do find that RCCL is slightly less expensive, also. Both are fine lines, but my next 4 out of 5 cruises is with Princess (the fifth being with DCL).

Pooh

I've been on two RCCL cruises and loved them both - one on Jewel, one on Brilliance, which are sister ships. I loved the huge expanses of glass everywhere, including the elevators. I miss having the ocean be visible from so many interiors when I am on Princess.

Both ships were in excellent condition, and our cabin stewards were great on both cruises. I don't find that the food on Princess is so much better, as others have found. I prefer the bread selection on RCCL - the rolls with the sunflower seeds are terrific! The only downside there was that we had to wait for someone to bring the bread tray around.

I loved the buffets on RCCL. Much better set up than any of the Princess ships I've been on (Regal comes next year!) with room to move around. I thought the variety was good, as was the quality. I typically made a big chef salad for lunch and was very disappointed in the small number of salad ingredients on Princess compared to RCCL.

I've been very happy with both lines and would not hesitate to book RCCL again, but for now the nod (barely) goes to Princess.

Do you like your family? Then you'll have a good time. We haven't been on Princess yet ( Doing Alaska on Coral in May) but we've done the Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas and liked it just fine. Go with an open mind

Our first cruise was on Princess Cruises. Our second cruise was on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

All of our 30 cruises taken since as well as the next 7 we have booked are on Princess.

We can't find anything about our Royal Caribbean cruise that we would rate above Princess.

We've mostly sailed on Princess and have always enjoyed each cruise. Last year we did a transatlantic on the Freedom of the Seas. I enjoyed it very much. Yes in my opinion the food is better on Princess and after a few days we stopped eating dinner in the MDR and ate in the Windjammer. This was a hit and miss..there were some really good dishes and then there were some really nasty ones! There was always something to enjoy however - though yes it was crowded most of the time. I much prefer the Princess buffet AND..just as important..the hours...Windjammer closed much too early in my mind. My Preference is still Princess but I would happily go back to RCL if the price and itinerary was right!! However..at the end of the day..cruises...like food..are subjective..it's not necessarily about the line as a whole..but rather your own individual experience on one particular ship. There are so many variables that go into creating that great experience that even one small change might affect the enjoyment of next week's passenger on the same ship!!

While RCI is not my first choice, it DOES have it's good points. One of which is their itineraries. They sail out of certain ports (like SJU for one) that Princess doesn't. We've been on the AOS and it's a good option for families. We've also recently sailed on the new, big Harmony OTS.

Service is lacking compared to Princess unless you go in a suite. Cabins are MUCH better than anything Princess has. Suites are truly a suite experience with separate dining, butlers, and so much more. The thing that bugged us the most is that even though we're Diamond Level with RCI, the perks don't match Princess'.

Also, we were not allowed to bring water or soda onboard which is a huge bummer if they don't even offer the kind of soda you can drink. They charge for a lot of little things that Princess doesn't. They tend to be more expensive than Princess too - by a long shot. So, just be prepared for more nickle and diming than with Princess.

If you're cruising with a big group, I think RCI is a good first choice with Princess a good second choice.

I have mostly sailed with Princess, and have only tried RCL once. It was one of their older ships (Explorer of the Seas) and none of our group of 8 were thrilled with it. We were really not happy with the food, except for the meal in the specialty restaurant. The shows were ok (which is higher than my rating for most Princess shows). We loved the ice skating show. Trivia was in this small room, and there was never enough seating for people. We did like the area with the shops which was organized like a whole street. That was where the New Years Celebration was, and it was so packed. They did give out free champagne on NYE (which Princess does not). That said, I would try them again if the itinerary was something i liked, but on a newer ship.