Telling Verizon we are in another country?

MaC410

So I understand that you can choose packages from ships that will let you connect online but what about your home carrier? We have Verizon do we have to tell them that we will be in another country or are they not even a factor in this? I'm getting conflicting information from articles I have been reading.

So I understand that you can choose packages from ships that will let you connect online but what about your home carrier? We have Verizon do we have to tell them that we will be in another country or are they not even a factor in this? I'm getting conflicting information from articles I have been reading.

If you are asking about connecting your phone to the ship's WiFi, then you can put the phone in Airplane mode, turn on WiFi, and use the ship's WiFi without getting any Verizon charges.

If you want a package through your carrier, contact them directly and tell them the dates that you are sailing and they can specify different packages for coverage at sea. It will be a one time plan that will provide a level of text and voice times for use while on board that will be arranged and billed through them. They will also confirm with you the phone settings while on board and when to turn them.

We have done this several times and have found the packages to be fairly priced and the service very good.

If you are using WiFi, (put in airplane mode, but WiFi on) you don't have to tell your carrier a thing. If you are using the cell side of your phone (airplane mode off, regular phone operation)- telephone data or calls, you will want to work with your carrier for the plan that suits your needs.

Make sure you fully understand the roaming costs associated with both cellular at sea as well as connecting at your foreign ports - roaming is notoriously expensive unless you specifically subscribe to plans that cover your destinations, and many carriers don't offer *any* options for cellular at sea, so WiFi would be a much better choice there from a cost perspective - tell your friends and family to keep in touch via something like Facebook messenger instead which works over WiFi vs needing traditional cellular connections for SMS.

And most carriers do NOT enable international roaming, unless you contact them and have it turned on.

If your phone supports it, you can also use wifi calling. You need to turn it on while still connected to cellular (so do it before the cruise). Then you can purchase wifi on board the ship or find a wifi hotspot in port, and makes calls that way.