Abbreviations/Acronyms! Look up here before asking.

Kreiven

• 4 weeks later...

Some for Royal Caribbean (RCI):
CL = Concierge Lounge (for suite guests)
CP = Cafe Promenade (available on some RCI ships)
DL = Diamond Lounge (for those who have done lots of RCI cruises)

As prevously posted, RCI means "Royal Caribbean International" and refers to the Royal Caribbean ships (all end with the words "of the Seas"). RCCL is "Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines", and not only includes Royal Caribbean, but also other lines owned by RCCL such as Celebrity. However, on Cruise Critic, RCCL often is used when RCI is meant -- Royal Caribbean "of the Seas" ships.

And: ACRONYM = Abbreviated Character Representation Of Names You'll Misuse

Edited by Jimnbigd

On 4/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, Jimnbigd said:

Some for Royal Caribbean (RCI):
CL = Concierge Lounge (for suite guests)
CP = Cafe Promenade (available on some RCI ships)
DL = Diamond Lounge (for those who have done lots of RCI cruises)

As prevously posted, RCI means "Royal Caribbean International" and refers to the Royal Caribbean ships (all end with the words "of the Seas"). RCCL is "Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines", and not only includes Royal Caribbean, but also other lines owned by RCCL such as Celebrity. However, on Cruise Critic, RCCL often is used when RCI is meant -- Royal Caribbean "of the Seas" ships.

And: ACRONYM = Abbreviated Character Representation Of Names You'll Misuse

CL - Concierge Lounge for Suite guests, Pinnacles and Diamond +

SL - Suite Lounge for Suite guests and Pinnacles only.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 2:22 AM, Jandex said:

Can I please ask what is LCR?

Thanks.  

Apparently you can ask but you won't necessarily get an answer. I was wondering the same thing. 

On 3/27/2019 at 2:22 AM, Jandex said:

Can I please ask what is LCR?

Thanks.  

15 hours ago, bbnmom said:

Apparently you can ask but you won't necessarily get an answer. I was wondering the same thing. 

Without knowing the context, I suspect it is Left-Center-Right.  This is a dice game I've heard of being played at a meet and greet, arranged by roll call members.  Each person usually starts with $3 and depending on what is rolled you do something with the money.  Eventually one person wins the entire pot (which is sometimes given as a donation, like on Carnival to St. Jude).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Without knowing the context, I suspect it is Left-Center-Right.  This is a dice game I've heard of being played at a meet and greet, arranged by roll call members.  Each person usually starts with $3 and depending on what is rolled you do something with the money.  Eventually one person wins the entire pot (which is sometimes given as a donation, like on Carnival to St. Jude).

Yes, that is  it. Everyone starts with 3 chips or $3 Dollars. One rolls three die. They then follow the dice instructions. If there is a "L" they pass one chip to the person on the left. If there is a "C" they  put one chip (Dollar) in the center.  If the die is marked with an "R", they pass one chip to the person on the right.When it is  your turn to roll you roll only the number of dice that you have chips for. If you have only one chip, yoe roll only one dice. and follow the instruction. You may be out of chips, but a person on your right may roll a "L" and pass  you a chip so next time your turn comes around, you can roll one die if you have one chip. If you have accumulate more than 3 chips, you only roll three die. If you are out of chips, you don't roll, but the person on  your tight might roll an "L" and pass  you a chip so next time it comes around you can roll one die.

If   you have only 2 die,  you roll only two die.

The die are marked with an "L", a "C" an "R" and a dot. If you  have three die and roll and get all three Dots you don't put any chips and just pass the dice. If you roll three die and get three "L"'s you past three chips to your left and so forth.

The "C" center pot builds up and the one that still has chips at the end and everyone else is out winds the pot in the center.

Kind of fun and only one winner.

I think I have it correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, scapel said:

The die are marked with an "L", a "C" an "R" and a dot. 

There are 6 sides to a die.  You give 4 things to be marked.  What about the other two sides?

4 hours ago, SRF said:

There are 6 sides to a die.  You give 4 things to be marked.  What about the other two sides?

My wife has the dice. Good question. I would think make it C and another "dot", but I don't have the dice to check. It is a fun game. Went to Google--· Each player receives three chips. Players take it in turn to roll the six-sided dice, each of which is marked with "L", "C", "R" on one side, and a single dot on the three remaining sides.

Edited by scapel

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 4:49 PM, Heidi13 said:

Totally agree. While a few acronyms are are specific to Cruise Critic, others such as DH, DW, SIL, DIL, etc are widely used on other forums.

The marine industry also has many industry specific words - galley, deck, bulkheads, etc learning these terms should be part of the cruising experience.

I once talked to a TA about booking a stern cabin.  She couldn't figure that out.  She insisted on talking about port and starboard cabins.  Apparently she was not familiar with terms like bow and stern.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:16 AM, 1980dory said:

I once talked to a TA about booking a stern cabin.  She couldn't figure that out.  She insisted on talking about port and starboard cabins.  Apparently she was not familiar with terms like bow and stern.

Because the term used in cruising is an AFT cabin.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Aft is a 'direction' and can refer to either port or starboard.

'Stern' is a specific location, as is 'bow'.

My information is based on many years as a sailor and with numerous certified sailing courses completed.
If the term is used in cruising, it is erroneous and causes confusion because it is incorrect and nondescriptive of the stern.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, 1980dory said:

My information is based on many years as a sailor and with numerous certified sailing courses completed.
If the term is used in cruising, it is erroneous and causes confusion because it is incorrect and nondescriptive of the stern.

You should see what happens around here when people call it a "boat."  😉

But yes, you are correct.  Aft is a direction, not a location.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, 1980dory said:

Yes, it is proper usage, because the cabin balconies FACE AFT. 😄

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

You should see what happens around here when people call it a "boat."  😉

But yes, you are correct.  Aft is a direction, not a location.  

Paul

Thank you.  I think I have had enough of this 'discussion'.  Let's move on to the 'boat' question, and from there we can discuss tips, smuggling booze and other stimulating subjects.

Paul

On 7/9/2019 at 10:25 AM, SRF said:

On 7/9/2019 at 2:16 PM, 1980dory said:

No, as used by SRF, the term is correct.  "Aft" can be an adjective (modifying a noun), such as "I want an aft cabin", meaning I want one aft of midships, or "take the aft staircase".  Or, "aft" can be an adverb (modifying a verb), such as "I am moving aft", with aft modifying the verb "moving" by giving a direction.  Your choice of "stern" cabin is also appropriate, but it specifies a much smaller group of cabins than "aft".  What is frequently misused here on CC is using "aft" as a noun, "show us your aft", "I want a cabin at the aft".

And my information is based on 45 years at sea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, 1980dory said:

Stern is not where a cabin would be. Aft section would be correct. Bow is the very front tip of a ship Stern is the very back of the ship. The name of the ship is on the stern. Not an area.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Stern is not where a cabin would be. Aft section would be correct. Bow is the very front tip of a ship Stern is the very back of the ship. The name of the ship is on the stern. Not an area.

Thank you for your clarification of where I was.  But we could sure see the wake from our balcony, stern cabin which was neither on the port or starboard sides.

Getting a bit nit picking from  my original statement re. port and starboard cabins.

But if it's all THAT important to you, go for it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Thank you for your clarification of where I was.  But we could sure see the wake from our balcony, stern cabin which was neither on the port or starboard sides.

Getting a bit nit picking from  my original statement re. port and starboard cabins.

But if it's all THAT important to you, go for it.

From you cabin you could see the stern. You were in the furthest aft cabin. Definition. "The stern is the back side of a ship or boat. It is the exact opposite end of the boat from the bow, or front. The stern is built over a part of the ship known as a sternpost, which is a structural beam over which the transom , or back end, of the ship is built". I did make an error before. The transom is where the name of the ship painted. The stern is the very back section of the ship.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...