Tell me about connecting doors

sherezada

Family of 4 (kids will be 7 and 9) and considering taking 2 inside connecting rooms (on paper 1 kid and one adult on each) for the extra space and bathroom, but I have read a few people stating they've had issues with connecting doors. Can anyone that has done this kind of setup provide insight?

Edited by sherezada

Connecting doors pass sound more easily than walls. The connecting door can be closed, but cannot be locked once it is unlocked by the stateroom attendant. Not sure if this applies to Quantum class.

Family of 4 (kids will be 7 and 9) and considering taking 2 inside connecting rooms for the extra space and bathroom, but I have read a few people stating they've had issues with connecting doors. Can anyone that has done this kind of setup provide insight?

The issue people have with the connecting door is noise coming from the connecting cabin. If your own kids are going to be in that connecting cabin, I am sure you would be able to calm any noise if it was bothering you.;p:cool::D

Family of 4 (kids will be 7 and 9) and considering taking 2 inside connecting rooms for the extra space and bathroom, but I have read a few people stating they've had issues with connecting doors. Can anyone that has done this kind of setup provide insight?

What ship?

Traveling with kids and if they are old enough to be carrying their own sea pass (at 7 and 9 good chance) there is a strong chance (speaking from experience) that one or both of them will leave their sea pass in the room and lock themselves out :) Having a connecting room will allow you to let them back in and retrieve said sea pass without hunting down the stateroom attendant.

I had connecting rooms on Freedom last year. The stateroom attendant is the only one who can lock/unlock the door. I did not notice any additional noise from the connecting room, however it was my parents in the other room so maybe I'm just used to their voices. I will be doing this setup on Harmony in 3 weeks (interior connecting rooms with kids, 8 and 10). I would be happy to report back after we sail.

its the only way we do it with our two kids (now 13 and 15) - its great having two bathrooms for getting ready (even though they all seem to use my bathroom because that's where my wife keeps the shampoo and conditioner - as i am bald, i use whatever is on the wall). We ask the steward to open the door and to remove the chair, so as to give us more room.

the kids have a curfew and when we get back to the room we peek in and see if they are there yet (as my daughter is often out later than we are). You do have to be aware of "surprise visits", but much less so than if all four were sharing one room.

The connecting door can be closed, but cannot be locked once it is unlocked by the stateroom attendant.

This is what we found odd on the Oasis a few weeks ago when we had a connecting cabin with our pre-teen kids. Either side could bust into the other room without warning. Not so good when we were hoping for a little "privacy".... It's tempting to bring a door jam on our next voyage.

This is what we found odd on the Oasis a few weeks ago when we had a connecting cabin with our pre-teen kids. Either side could bust into the other room without warning. Not so good when we were hoping for a little "privacy".... It's tempting to bring a door jam on our next voyage.

Thanks for confirming, I thought Oasis class was the same as Voyager/Freedom, but was not 100% sure. Hoping to hear from a Quantum class cruiser experienced with connecting doors.

Traveling with kids and if they are old enough to be carrying their own sea pass (at 7 and 9 good chance) there is a strong chance (speaking from experience) that one or both of them will leave their sea pass in the room and lock themselves out :) Having a connecting room will allow you to let them back in and retrieve said sea pass without hunting down the stateroom attendant.

Our kids have had separate rooms from us in the past, not always connecting. We always go to guest services and get a spare key for their room. That way we can check in on them from time to time and to make sure the they haven't left a mess for the cabin steward to clean up.

Thanks for confirming, I thought Oasis class was the same as Voyager/Freedom, but was not 100% sure. Hoping to hear from a Quantum class cruiser experienced with connecting doors.

My DH and I had connecting rooms on the Anthem. The connecting doors are located immediately as you walk into the room. There is a door on each side so when we went to sleep I'd close the door on my side so I wouldn't have to hear him snore - or when he was watching tv at a high volume!

We also had the stateroom attendant open our balcony.

As others have mentioned, connecting cabins are great if you are travelling with the people staying in the connecting cabin.

We have twice had connecting cabins and did find it noisy. Once on the Carnival Victory... they weren't overly loud, we could just pick up pieces of their conversations as they walked past the door.

Last time we booked a guarantee cabin that ended up being a connecting cabin on the Oasis. We found significant noise bleeding through. I was woken up by their wake up call every morning and I could hear them showering and flushing the toilet as the bathrooms are positioned quite close to the bed. I also got to follow along word for word during the week to any conversion they had when they were near the door. We made sure to converse as far away from the door as possible. They weren't being overly noisy, the connecting door just let tons of sound in.

I more recently tried to book connecting cabins to split my family of six into two cabins on a Carnival ship and was unable to get them. We will side by side wishing we had connecting!

Enjoy your cruise!

We were on the Quantum of the Seas in March 2015 on Deck 11 and had the 2 Large Interior Staterooms with Virtual Balcony (11181 and 11183). We like this step-up for a number of reasons: added bathroom to get 5 people ready in the morning or showers before evening meals; extra bed instead of a pullman if we were in a single room (had this setup in a promenade room the Oasis of the Seas); overall space to spread out when in the room. Our 3 children stayed in the 2nd room the boys shared the queen size bed and our daughter was on the pull out couch. I have attached 2 pictures of the room. We have booked the same 2 rooms on Deck 11 on the Anthem of the Seas in March 2019. As others have mentioned, the room steward had the door unlocked and provided a door stop to keep the door open at all times if we wanted to.

IMG_6335.JPG.49b462f7e20c4f26dae2ca9cf6ae6130.JPG

IMG_6327.JPG.0a391a891c2d975a475488a2777dc599.JPG

We were recently on Harmony and it's very much like the Quantum class in many ways. We had four cabins all right next to each other two triples and two doubles. Two were connecting these both had sofa's (not a chair)...two doors so you could close one, located right as you entered the cabin. The cabin's that would accommodate more than two had the bed by the bathroom the other's had the bed by the balcony. I've heard Symphony will be like the Harmony.

Only get connecting cabins if you have very small children that cannot be on their own. Than is it.

Do not get them if you have friends, parents, older kids, etc and just want to be closer together.

It is more than a little too close.

The door does not lock from either side and anyone can walk in anytime.

If you have to be together, get balcony rooms next door to each other and open the partition between them.

That way you can lock it and have privacy...

My DH and I had connecting rooms on the Anthem. The connecting doors are located immediately as you walk into the room. There is a door on each side so when we went to sleep I'd close the door on my side so I wouldn't have to hear him snore - or when he was watching tv at a high volume!

We also had the stateroom attendant open our balcony.

Thank-you, that sounds very similar to Oasis class design.

We were in a stateroom once that had a connecting door to the stateroom next door. It was terrible. We could hear every word our neighbors were saying to each other and they were NOT shouting or talking loud (and I'm hard of hearing.)