Roll calls and chirping crickets...

Kate-AHF

My Muse roll call for May 2018 has been silent, other than one auto post, and despite 61 views. I understand that the ships are small, but when we were sailing on Seabourn once/twice a year, the roll calls were active. Even then the ship was 204 pax.

Is this a Silversea culture thing? Just not something this market participates in?

There are, at least in my mind, a lot of factors working here. First of all Cruise Critic active membership only probably represents 5% or so of the total cruising population. Secondly Silversea, Seabourn, and the other luxury lines attract a very small percentage of that cruising population. Heck there are lines with many cruise ships that have higher capacity on just one ship than the total capacity of the Silversea fleet. Third, even among the mass market lines there are pretty significant differences in Roll Call participation. I don’t have the time or energy to do Roll Call comparisons but off the top of my head lines like Celebrity and Carnival bury other lines like Holland America. Fourth, while I can’t say I push or promote Cruise Critic while on Silversea but when it comes up I more often than not get that “deer in the headlights” look. Generally for whatever reason or reasons it just doesn’t seem to interest the typical Silversea passenger. I sometimes wonder if I would be as active as I am here if it wasn’t for 10+ years of active participation on the Holland America and Celebrity boards here.

That's the norm. I've had two roll calls, out of ten cruises, where we've met the minimum for a meet and mingle. I thought I was hallucinating when I got 21 signed up on our recent Explorer cruise! It was a total aberration.

I agree with what Randy says. Few SS cruisers have heard of cruise critic. Then there are a few of us diehards...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Agree completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also agree, have been on voyages where not a single guest that we interacted with had heard of CC. There is also the issue that some of the longer term CC posters have given up on the the Silversea boards

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on a Silversea cruise and about two months before the cruise the roll call started to get active.

You just never know on a luxury line with far fewer guests then most lines/ships.

As mentioned there is a thread about Seabourn's roll call being pretty quiet.

But sometimes there are very few people from CC booked on a specific cruise.

Keith

My Muse roll call for May 2018 has been silent, other than one auto post, and despite 61 views. I understand that the ships are small, but when we were sailing on Seabourn once/twice a year, the roll calls were active. Even then the ship was 204 pax.

What cruise are you on in May 2018? My wife and I depart Lisbon on Silver Spirit on 22 May.

Your Muse roll call is active compared to ours. We posted our 7/24/18 Silver Spirit roll call on September 8. Not only have we not had any replies: we've only had 16 views (and most of those views were probably us looking at our post). J & J

What cruise are you on in May 2018? My wife and I depart Lisbon on Silver Spirit on 22 May.

There is a Meet & Mingle now for the Lisbon-London cruise

Rp

Is this a Silversea culture thing? Just not something this market participates in?

Hi, I took my first Silversea cruise last summer (It was FANTASTIC:D)....but the roll call was very slow...there were about 4 of us who chatted......once I boarded the ship, it was so easy to meet other folks. So don't be too concerned. I am sailing again with them this summer:D.......I started a roll call and only one other person has said hello and she was on my cruise last summer as well!

Thanks for the thoughts folks.
I have been looking at that for our cruise. It is hard for ours because it doesn't show on roll call, or travel agents sites or searches of the ports. They do now, but not for months.

I was hoping to talk with people leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 13. It's our 1st SS cruise and it has very special meaning for us.

Have fun and thanks for letting us know that if they do reply, it is later in the process.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Your Muse roll call is active compared to ours. We posted our 7/24/18 Silver Spirit roll call on September 8. Not only have we not had any replies: we've only had 16 views (and most of those views were probably us looking at our post). J & J
You can't even find the March 13th cruise on the Muse as a possible selection. It's like it never existed [emoji6]

Also agree, have been on voyages where not a single guest that we interacted with had heard of CC. There is also the issue that some of the longer term CC posters have given up on the the Silversea boards

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting. Makes sense. As a 1st timer on SS I was hoping to talk with some and meet them on board.

You can't even find the March 13th cruise on the Muse as a possible selection. It's like it never existed [emoji6]

It doesn’t exist as a Roll Call because nobody has started one. Cruises are not automatically added to the Roll Call section without an initial posting by a member.