Selecting cruise around Christmas break time

poputchik

Hello, I would appreciate your expert advice regarding cruise itinerary selection for 2018-2019 winter break.

I am well aware that it might be one of the most expensive periods to go but our daughter is still in High School which significantly limits our possibilities. Next year it will be Dec.21 - Jan.6. December of 2018 is also our 30th anniversary so my husband and I really want it to be something special. We've already done Caribbean cruises three times visiting most of the islands,done ABC Islands cruise with Princess in 2017, done Panama Canal with Norwegian and loved all of those trips! So here is my problem - I'd love to go on a cruise where it will be warm and sunny so we can spend some time on the beaches. But we can't go on any cruise longer than 15 days because of our daughter's school schedule. And my husband does not want to fly too far from home (we live in Oregon) so South East Asia is out of questions for us.

We are considering three options:

#1. 10-days Canary islands and Morocco from Barcelona (but I am afraid that Canary Island will be not warm enough to swim in December)

#2. A week-long Cruise around Hawaii with Norwegian (cruise itself seems to be exceedingly expensive around Christmas-New Year but with airfare and hotel stay on the island it becomes much more expensive than other destinations!

#3. Chile &Argentina Cruise (Celebrity?) . The last one leaves from Buenos Aires on Dec.23 and comes to San Antonio, Chile on Jan. 6. Two big concerns with the last one - flying to Buenos Aires and back home from Chile and weather in December. December is summer in South America but still it is far from equator so I am concerned if there is a chance to swim at the beach all while on this cruise?

Any other warm places to go in December ? Many thanks!

Why not just do a western Caribbean or splurge and go on one of the luxury lines to the eastern Caribbean. I can pretty much assure you that the luxury lines will take you places that you haven't been and it is plenty warm to swim. We round tripped out of Bridgetown the week before Christmas this year on Silversea. You can also look at Sea Dream, Regent, or Seaborne.

Don't do number 1. Wrong time of year.

Number 2 is nice in terms for the weather.

Number 3 is terrific. It is summer so no worries. But look at airfare because it can be high that time of year with people going to South America for the Holidays and/or going to the USA for the holidays.

Keith

Hello, I would appreciate your expert advice regarding cruise itinerary selection for 2018-2019 winter break.

I am well aware that it might be one of the most expensive periods to go but our daughter is still in High School which significantly limits our possibilities. Next year it will be Dec.21 - Jan.6. December of 2018 is also our 30th anniversary so my husband and I really want it to be something special. We've already done Caribbean cruises three times visiting most of the islands,done ABC Islands cruise with Princess in 2017, done Panama Canal with Norwegian and loved all of those trips! So here is my problem - I'd love to go on a cruise where it will be warm and sunny so we can spend some time on the beaches. But we can't go on any cruise longer than 15 days because of our daughter's school schedule. And my husband does not want to fly too far from home (we live in Oregon) so South East Asia is out of questions for us.

#1. 10-days Canary islands and Morocco from Barcelona (but I am afraid that Canary Island will be not warm enough to swim in December)

#2. A week-long Cruise around Hawaii with Norwegian (cruise itself seems to be exceedingly expensive around Christmas-New Year but with airfare and hotel stay on the island it becomes much more expensive than other destinations!

#3. Chile &Argentina Cruise (Celebrity?) . The last one leaves from Buenos Aires on Dec.23 and comes to San Antonio, Chile on Jan. 6. Two big concerns with the last one - flying to Buenos Aires and back home from Chile and weather in December. December is summer in South America but still it is far from equator so I am concerned if there is a chance to swim at the beach all while on this cruise?

We just sailed that same Number 3 Celebrity cruise this last Holiday.

I would NOT recommend it to anyone who wants a typical “Celebrity cruise” experience. There were over 500 unruly children, of all ages, many many large -20+- family groups, and the ship staff were, frankly, overwhelmed. The staff did the best they could.

The weather changed as we went south, around the Horn, and we experienced incredible natural wonder.

If you doubt my comments, please check the reviews posted on the CC site.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Canaries will not be warm enough for you, even though Europe treats them like North America treats the Caribbean. The South America itinerary is not a beach vacation. If what you want is a beach vacation, perhaps a cruise from Barbados, or an All Inclusive in the Caribbean. Or the Mexican Riviera. EM

Why not just do a western Caribbean or splurge and go on one of the luxury lines to the eastern Caribbean. I can pretty much assure you that the luxury lines will take you places that you haven't been and it is plenty warm to swim. We round tripped out of Bridgetown the week before Christmas this year on Silversea. You can also look at Sea Dream, Regent, or Seaborne.

Thanks for your prompt reply, zqvol! Luxury lines are a too expensive for three of us. And we already did Western (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan) and Eastern Caribbean. This is why I am looking beyond Caribbean region. Maybe SE Asia?

If you want a warm and sunny beach vacation, suggest you consider a land vacation on Aruba.
Thanks for your reply, 6rugrats! We just came from ABC islands cruise and were not very impressed with Aruba. Bonaire or even better Curacao would be my choice for a land vacation. Thanks!

We just sailed that same Number 3 Celebrity cruise this last Holiday.

I would NOT recommend it to anyone who wants a typical “Celebrity cruise” experience. There were over 500 unruly children, of all ages, many many large -20+- family groups, and the ship staff were, frankly, overwhelmed. The staff did the best they could.

The weather changed as we went south, around the Horn, and we experienced incredible natural wonder.

If you doubt my comments, please check the reviews posted on the CC site.

Sox59, I really appreciate your warning! We never yet cruised around Christmas and New Year so your advice is an eye-opener! Thanks! What about SE Asia? Hong-Kong - Singapore? Thanks!

I am confused. You said SE Asia was out-of-the question.

Dear 6rugrats, sorry for the confusion. Reading all the replies and advises made me realize that my only option (besides Hawaii) will be SE Asia. Can you, please, recommend any good Asian itinerary no longer than 7-9 days ? Also, I am not "beach only" person at all! Wherever we go, we try to spend on the beach no more than 2-3 hours. We usually find a private tour guide who will take us around the island (or city - like in Cartagena) for 3-5 hours (depending on the time we are docked there) and then ask him to drop us at the beach for a few hours. This is what I meant when asked for a "nice beach places" . I personally will be satisfied with just warm and sunny location (winter in Oregon is very bleak). By my husband and daughter are excellent swimmers and love snorkeling. Many thanks!

Don't do number 1. Wrong time of year.

Number 2 is nice in terms for the weather.

Number 3 is terrific. It is summer so no worries. But look at airfare because it can be high that time of year with people going to South America for the Holidays and/or going to the USA for the holidays.

Keith

Thank you, Keith1010, for your great response. Yes, Celebrity offers Argentina - Chile cruise on Dec.23 which will work time-wise. I will be checking the airfare.

#1. 10-days Canary islands and Morocco from Barcelona (but I am afraid that Canary Island will be not warm enough to swim in December) The Canary Islands and Morocco are popular winter tourist destinations for Europeans. The average Ternerife temperature in December is in the low 70s. We were on a cruise from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale last October with two stops in the Canary Islands (Tenerife and Lanzarote) and had great day long private tours.

#2. A week-long Cruise around Hawaii with Norwegian (cruise itself seems to be exceedingly expensive around Christmas-New Year but with airfare and hotel stay on the island it becomes much more expensive than other destinations! If you've never been to Hawaii before, I recommend a land vacation not a cruise but then I've never done a Hawaii cruise (but have done 3 land vacations).

#3. Chile &Argentina Cruise (Celebrity?) . The last one leaves from Buenos Aires on Dec.23 and comes to San Antonio, Chile on Jan. 6. Two big concerns with the last one - flying to Buenos Aires and back home from Chile and weather in December. December is summer in South America but still it is far from equator so I am concerned if there is a chance to swim at the beach all while on this cruise? In December 2017 we sailed on Princess from Valparaiso to Rio de Janiero. The temperatures at each end (including Buenos Aires) were hot -- the 90s in Valparaiso and Buenos Aires and 110 in Rio. Those are the only ports were there might have been swimming. The others as you round Tierra del Fuego were in the 40s and 50s. This itinerary - which we really enjoyed - isn't really a 'beach' itinerary.

See comments in red.

Our family did a Mexican Riviera cruise over Christmas week, 2016. On Norwegian Jewel. It was GREAT! The stops will feel a bit similar to the Caribbean (in the interests of full disclosure), but there are enough differences too. Just a thought. It's certainly not as glamorous as some of the other itineraries you're suggesting, but budget-wise, it might be more friendly.

We went with our two grown kids and their significant others, plus some other extended family. It was a truly joyous time...I highly recommend cruising during the holidays as a way to put the usual stresses of holiday planning, decorating, etc. behind. This year, we're taking the same core group for Thanksgiving on the Allure. Can't wait.

Have you checked out the Celebrity Silhouette sailing from December 21 to January 2, RT from Ft. Lauderdale? It goes to a variety of islands, not all in the Eastern Caribbean but with some considered to be in the Southern Caribbean, I believe? We've visited at least four of these islands previously, so I understand your desire to not revisit the same places, but our goal was to find a nice cruise that included both Christmas and NYE / New Year's Day (and not just one of those holidays), and to bring the whole family. With one daughter who will be a sophomore in college next school year, another will be a high school junior, and the little one in third grade, we have to travel during the peak holiday season (and pay peak prices), unfortunately. Perhaps that may be a consideration? Even if you visited some of the islands previously, there must be other attractions / things you could possibly find to do? Or just hang out on the ship or on a beach and relax!

Have you checked out the Celebrity Silhouette sailing from December 21 to January 2, RT from Ft. Lauderdale? It goes to a variety of islands, not all in the Eastern Caribbean but with some considered to be in the Southern Caribbean, I believe? We've visited at least four of these islands previously, so I understand your desire to not revisit the same places, but our goal was to find a nice cruise that included both Christmas and NYE / New Year's Day (and not just one of those holidays), and to bring the whole family. With one daughter who will be a sophomore in college next school year, another will be a high school junior, and the little one in third grade, we have to travel during the peak holiday season (and pay peak prices), unfortunately. Perhaps that may be a consideration? Even if you visited some of the islands previously, there must be other attractions / things you could possibly find to do? Or just hang out on the ship or on a beach and relax!

Thank you, huangichen, for the great info! I just checked it and it looks great. You are so right, we visited all of these islands (except Dominica) bur definitely have not seen everything there. So may be will see you on board!