Kids Dress Code Question...

StrawberryRayne

Per the dress code: Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

... What about shirts and shoes? Which are acceptable? Can they wear nice shorts with a Tshirt? Or do I have to go buy collared shirts for both my boys (4&8)? Girl is no problem, she has dresses. Can they wear flip flops to dinner? Mainly asking about MDRs ... We will not be doing specialty restaurants on our trip and we know pretty much anything goes for the buffet option.

I have used the search feature and not found my answer. I have looked at the official FAQ and my question is not addressed there.

Thanks! 10 days till we sail!

T-shirts are perfectly acceptable. No need to for collared shirts at all. And don't worry about the shorts having to be "nice" -- jean shorts or cargoes are fine. NCL is casual.

People will have plenty of opinions on flip flops, but as an FYI, sneakers are perfectly fine along with other sandals.

By the way, there is absolutely no need for your daughter to wear a dress unless she wants to do so. That goes for any other females in your party as well. I generally wear capris to dinner.

Per the dress code: Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

... What about shirts and shoes? Which are acceptable? Can they wear nice shorts with a Tshirt? Or do I have to go buy collared shirts for both my boys (4&8)? Girl is no problem, she has dresses. Can they wear flip flops to dinner? Mainly asking about MDRs ... We will not be doing specialty restaurants on our trip and we know pretty much anything goes for the buffet option.

I have used the search feature and not found my answer. I have looked at the official FAQ and my question is not addressed there.

i would suggest you go to target and purchase collard shirts, slacks and shoes for your sons. you can also get inexpensive dress clothes for your daughter. It will make for great family pictures. Enjoy your cruise

T-shirts are perfectly acceptable. No need to for collared shirts at all. And don't worry about the shorts having to be "nice" -- jean shorts or cargoes are fine. NCL is casual.

People will have plenty of opinions on flip flops, but as an FYI, sneakers are perfectly fine along with other sandals.

By the way, there is absolutely no need for your daughter to wear a dress unless she wants to do so. That goes for any other females in your party as well. I generally wear capris to dinner.

Thank you!

Daughter loves dresses, she'll relish in being able to wear them all!

The boys... my shoe options are gym sneakers (which aren't in the best shape), crocs (original style) and flip flops. Trying not to have to go buy new stuff.

Thanks! I can make the shoe bit work... but I'm so happy to hear tshirts will be fine for them!

i would suggest you go to target and purchase collard shirts, slacks and shoes for your sons. you can also get inexpensive dress clothes for your daughter. It will make for great family pictures. Enjoy your cruise

That’s fine if you are bothered about dressing up and need some family photos, but is a waste of time and money if you aren’t fussed about those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not at all necessary. NCL is a casual line and it is not necessary to spend money on clothes just to look nice in possible (expensive) photos.

Thank you!

Daughter loves dresses, she'll relish in being able to wear them all!

The boys... my shoe options are gym sneakers (which aren't in the best shape), crocs (original style) and flip flops. Trying not to have to go buy new stuff.

Thanks! I can make the shoe bit work... but I'm so happy to hear tshirts will be fine for them!

They are kids and will be fine. There is no need to worry about buying new things just for dinner!

On my last cruise with my daughter and her family, the boys wore both polo shirts and short sleeve button down shirts. NCL is very casual in their dining rooms, but not sure if T-shirts is too casual. We were on the Getaway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dress clothes are totally unnecessary on NCL ships. It is a much more casual line, and something that attracted us to them. My hubby, son in law and grandsons all wore shorts every night in the MDRs. Along with polo shirts or button down shirts.

T Shirts are fine: so are sandles and tennis shoes but please no flip flops. If nothing else kids need to know there are a time and place for everything. Have a great cruise.

No need for collared shirts or slacks. Even adults can wear T-shirt’s and shorts to the MDR. I dress up every day for work, I’m for sure not dressing up while on vacation.

That’s fine if you are bothered about dressing up and need some family photos, but is a waste of time and money if you aren’t fussed about those things.

Totally agree. I responded to this poster that NCL is a much more casual line and one of the reasons we were attracted to it.

very good idea. Those types of pictures are so wonderful for the future. I love family pictures we have from our many cruises.

I don't think collared shirts or other dress clothes are necessary. They are little kids on a casual vacation. As long as they don't come straight from the pool wearing their wet bathing suits with those flip flops, they will be fine! :)

My 7 year old wore Sperry boat shoes or loafers to dinner nightly. Some nights he wore pants and a nice tee shirt.. some nights he wore flat front nice shorts and a polo shirt.

He wasn’t dressed up or dressed down.. I did bring button up shirts for him, but he never ended up wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For dinner, Mom and dad can wear shorts in the Magenta MDR. The Grand Pacific MDR asks for long pants for gents (not kids). You will be fine. No red to waste money at target.

Sneakers always preferable in all dining rooms (vs flip flops) for dinner.

Flip flops and shorts ok in all dining rooms for breakfast and lunch.

Why not enjoy dinner in the restaurants? Spending money on clothes when you cruise is typical for kids and adults. The cost of a cruise is significant and typically all members of a family buy some new clothes for the trip. My kids both the boys and girls, felt really special dressing up. It was a great experience for them.

Why not enjoy dinner in the restaurants? Spending money on clothes when you cruise is typical for kids and adults. The cost of a cruise is significant and typically all members of a family buy some new clothes for the trip. My kids both the boys and girls, felt really special dressing up. It was a great experience for them.

I’ve seen people pair khakis and button up shirts that look worse than a quality vneck tee and colored slim or skinny pants.. on men and little boys ;)

I think if the OP’s children have plain nice tees and shorts/pants they should be fine.

Maybe just pick up a pair of loafers for each. It will make the outfits a little more cruise/resort casual vs just ‘casual’.

Most of our family cruises were in the beginning of November, new clothes were never purchased, the kids just wore the same clothes they wore all summer. My kids enjoy dressing up (ds19’s been wearing button downs and khakis almost daily for at least 5 years) but they couldn’t have cared less when they were little. Nothing like getting one wear out of dress clothes and shoes.

Thanks for all the input. I'll take some, and leave some. We will not be shopping for new clothes that they'll not wear again.

All the kids clothes have been packed. I found polos for the 8 year old (he actually has a bunch because he likes to wear them to school), paired with plaid shorts and jean shorts. I found 3 polos for the 4 year old and the rest is Tshirts for him, also paired with plaid and jean shorts.

I'll clean up their sneakers and we'll have a blast!!!

I’ve seen people pair khakis and button up shirts that look worse than a quality vneck tee and colored slim or skinny pants.. on men and little boys ;)

I think if the OP’s children have plain nice tees and shorts/pants they should be fine.

Maybe just pick up a pair of loafers for each. It will make the outfits a little more cruise/resort casual vs just ‘casual’.

Agree with the look for all but the formal nights- however loafers work for any night .

Agree with the look for all but the formal nights- however loafers work for any night .

There are NO Formal nights on NCL!!! Chill.

OP, you'll be fine with whatever you've chosen for your children... the crew will love catering to them regardless of their apparel.

Have a wonderful cruise.