To use a travel agent or not???

Hmmm I got a TA and so far all they did was call RC and got my cabin for what was on web site , which is what I have done on my own in past. I have not received anything special yet. They did offer to call airlines when needed but didn't offer any discount ; so what am I doing wrong

You can no longer contact the cruise line or use the cruise line's website for these actions:

Cancel the cruise

Get a price drop

Add/delete a guest from the cruise

Change between traditional and MTD dining

Add prepaid gratuities

Make payments

I'm sure there are more.

Of course, you can do all these things through the travel agent, assuming the agent is open for business (some don't work on weekends) and is responsive.

I only use TAs who either provide a cell number or will respond to e-mails quickly. In return, I don't spam them with needless inquiries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmm I got a TA and so far all they did was call RC and got my cabin for what was on web site , which is what I have done on my own in past. I have not received anything special yet. They did offer to call airlines when needed but didn't offer any discount ; so what am I doing wrong

You needed to interview the TA before you gave them the booking and ask what perks they could offer, over and above what RC gives you.

You can no longer contact the cruise line or use the cruise line's website for these actions:

Cancel the cruise

Get a price drop

Add prepaid gratuities

Make payments

I'm sure there are more.

Of course, you can do all these things through the travel agent, assuming the agent is open for business (some don't work on weekends) and is responsive.

And if you are unhappy with a reservation you booked thru a TA you have the option of calling RCI and removing it from the TA's control and taking it over yourself.

Granted, there are arguments for both sides, we all have our own opinions and ways we like to do things.

Cancel the cruise

Get a price drop

Add prepaid gratuities

Make payments

I'm sure there are more.

All can be done by simply calling RCCL and telling them you have called and emailed your agents numerous times and they never called you back or emailed you. They will then take care of any of those issues you listed above.

Jimbo:):)

You needed to interview the TA before you gave them the booking and ask what perks they could offer, over and above what RC gives you.

I have used the agency before and didn't get any bonus then either I should have learned my lesson then. Won't use them again next time for sure. Next time I will do my homework !!

Finding a great TA, particularly one who is recognized as a top seller for your preferred line (and who is perhaps a member of a TA consortium with its own perks) and willing/able to add significant perks (e.g., 5-10% of the commissionable fare as refundable OBC), takes some significant research (definitely more than asking your neighbor who once went on a cruise or calling the "big box" store or auto club). Such TAs will emphasize such status/membership in their promo materials and, beyond what they themselves may provide, may also have "pass through" incentive funds from the cruise line and/or TA consortium.

Two good places to start are Condé Nast Traveler's occasional "best of ..." lists and the Travel Sections of major metro newspapers where top TAs are often quoted in stories about cruising. You may want to also check with your college alumni association (if it does travel) about which TAs it uses.

Another good source is the "meet and mingle" on a current cruise. Don't be shy. Ask multiple folks who they use and why. If you hear the same name over and over again, that person may be worth a phone call.

Our preferred line is Oceania and we only use TAs who are members of their Connoisseurs Club of top agents. This often gets us even more added benefits because of their relationship.

BTW, we book most of our cruises while onboard then shop them around for transfer to whoever can add the most benefits. In that way, we get the best Oceania deal (BOB discount, current OBC, price drop match guarantee) AND the added perks from the selected TA. On longer cruises, the added value easily hits "four figures."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I rather be in control of my booking and just do it myself.............less problems......

I'm like this too. I've never used a TA for the 3 RC cruises I've been on and really did not think I was missing out on something. I have used a TA for a couple of cruises on another cruise line. I was with a large (alumni) group on the ship and the TA had a representative on the cruise. It was nice to have her there to ask questions of and for assistance, but there was definitely no monetary benefit. They hosted a welcome reception with complimentary wine, but that was it. No OBC, no monetary perks of any kind.

I keep seeing posters claim they don't want to give up control over their reservations so they won't use a travel agent.

Would someone please enumerate how you lose control if you use a travel agent and why these items are important?

There were a couple of times in the past 2 years where RCL had price drops and pricing errors on their website (resulting in a very good discount) I booked direct so was able to call and get them early in the morning. By the time most TA's opened for business they were no longer there.

Cancel the cruise

Get a price drop

Add prepaid gratuities

Make payments

I'm sure there are more.

Most of those don't seem to be time sensitive. I don't understand why one couldn't wait until the TA is open for business. Nor, do those things seem to be something that one would do often. I mean, how often does one change the configuration of the beds?

The only exception would be the price drop. But, my TA has responded to emails during weekends and obtained the price drops.

I will say this: I see no reason to choose a TA over direct booking unless one gets a significant price break which isn't all that hard to do. I paid full rate on my first two cruises. I figured out a better way after those two cruises.

... The only exception would be the price drop. But, my TA has responded to emails during weekends and obtained the price drops. ... .

I've also been fortunate to have a TA that checks her email on the weekends.

The best part (for me) of having a TA is sending one email to her instead of either dealing with Royal's barely functional website or waiting on hold.

• 4 months later...

I've typically booked in the past with RC directly, but I'm using an agent this time for a cruise in September. She's offered $150 OBC for each of two cabins, Which is $100 more than what RC was offering. The OBC amount that shows up on her agency's invoice for the final payment I just made. But it does not show up on the RC invoice that she forwarded me. What's the best practice for ensuring that the OBC shows up on my onboard account before the cruise?

I've typically booked in the past with RC directly, but I'm using an agent this time for a cruise in September. She's offered $150 OBC for each of two cabins, Which is $100 more than what RC was offering. The OBC amount that shows up on her agency's invoice for the final payment I just made. But it does not show up on the RC invoice that she forwarded me. What's the best practice for ensuring that the OBC shows up on my onboard account before the cruise?

OBC from the travel agent does not show up on Royal's website or documents. That's between you and the travel agent.

I always book and retain ownership...Not interested in the perks that some may offer and having a 3rd party involved. After 25+ cruises it's worked for me.

I agree. I had issues with a TA on a bus tour in Europe. She reviewed my paperwork and said all was fine. I got to Heathrow and had NO documents for transfer to hotel. They had to cut a new invoice and when I got home my TA took a full month to get a refund.

So TA also are eager in the beginning, then if you want some information, they can hold you up a day or two. I like doing the direct bookings myself and manage myself. TA can and do make mistakes.

There are many benefits to using a TA, however, it's up to you obviously. I've booked both ways. I would recommend first, researching cost for booking online and placing a free 24 hold on a cabin if you're truly interested. Next, I would check the common price websites about cruises and also contact a few recommended TAs. Find out their pricing. You already know what you're going to get with your online booking because you booked it. You would also know if you could do better at the moment.

Pricing changes all the time based on various factors, so, knowing if you should wait or not before booking is up to you. With a TA, at least, you know they will keep you posted about price changes. Booking yourself, you wouldn't, but again, if you don't check it after booking, you won't be disappointed either.

I have used the same TA for my last ten sailings, he always finds better prices than I see on the website. I track prices and if by chance it goes down, 9 times out of 10, he's already been alerted and has gotten me the cheaper fare. PLUS he deals with all the contact and frustration with RCI.

I wish TA's could be mentioned here, as I would be interested in who you use. I can always find one, but am leery about choosing as don't want a bad one. Booked through a big box store last time, it worked fine, but I did all the work with price changes and all.

I rather be in control of my booking and just do it myself.............less problems......

I so agree! We've been cruising since 1995 and we used a TA for our first cruise and it was a not a pleasant experience. Also, we did not receive any perks from the TA. From then on, I have arranged every cruise directly with the cruise line and have been very happy. I've thought of trying to find a good TA, but no one I know has one that they would recommend and I refuse to use an on-line TA. For those that have a local TA that they adore, thank her/him because it's rare to find a good one.

I’ve booked 46 cruises with online travel agencies, saved thousands of dollars and have had 0 problems. I control my own bookings only I deal with the agency instead of the cruise line. I’ve gotten price drops and changed cabins many times, no hassle, no extra cost.

Be careful when using a cruise travel agent to check if they charge any fees beyond what the cruise line does. I have seen several of the big names that do this, such as charging $25 to take advantage of any price drops after one, $100/cabin to cancel even prior to final payment, or $50/cabin for any change. It is likely to cover their costs. However, it is often only in the very fine print at the very end of the booking process, and easy to miss.

It's hard to believe that you'd forgo a four figure refundable OBC on an expensive cruise with a complex itinerary.or somehow expect that your "ownership" of the booking will get you better service or problem resolution when you're dealing with a low level phone rep and one of the cruise line's top selling TAs has the regional sales rep as a "speed dial" on his/her phone.

Consider the source.

JC

I’ve booked 46 cruises with online travel agencies, saved thousands of dollars and have had 0 problems. I control my own bookings only I deal with the agency instead of the cruise line. I’ve gotten price drops and changed cabins many times, no hassle, no extra cost.

Yes, I agree. I have only been on 24 cruises.

JC

I have always looked on line to find my cruise, but have always booked with a TA. It doesn’t cost anymore to book with a good TA and they make a bit of commission, rather than the cruise line making bigger profits. She also can find me great deals on certain sailing. She has some unbelievable prices on some sailings. On the Rhapsody Transatlantic next year. I got 14 night cruise in an OV for under $1500 for two including taxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk