Freedom stop in San Juan..what to do? Only there 7-2pm

Heatherco

Posted on the San Juan board a while ago but didn't get any responses. Since we are there from 7-2 what is there to do? We have been there before and did the walk around town to the fort.

Are there any. Ice beaches nearby or hotels that offer day pass? Kind of seems like a wasted stop when it is only till 2pm.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

Posted on the San Juan board a while ago but didn't get any responses. Since we are there from 7-2 what is there to do? We have been there before and did the walk around town to the fort.

Are there any. Ice beaches nearby or hotels that offer day pass? Kind of seems like a wasted stop when it is only till 2pm.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

The bicycle tour offered by RCL is quite fun and takes you though areas you may have never considered or even know about.

If you've never tried it and if offered early enough in the day (it should... it's only 2 - 2.5 hrs), the segway tour is a ton of fun!

I am a fort nerd so even though I've done them before I am going again. We are there the same time on oasis in April and I plan on getting off the ship and walking to the fort such that I am there when it opens then walking to the next fort.

We've been to San Juan several times, including pre-cruise stays. While we've done the Forts before (twice), this year we have two people in our party of six that have never been so we will do the forts again, do some shopping and have lunch there. We want to make sure we put a little money back into the economy of PR. This time, maybe we can get some great photos from the fort that we've failed to do in the past. Thanks for the tip on the place to have lunch, Bob. We've never eaten there and it sounds like we need to try it this time. Where exactly is it located?

We had a similar itinerary stop. I would recommend the Forts or walking around old San Juan. Get a few blocks away from the ship as recommended. We did somewhat of a walking/eating/art tour. Got off early, had a local breakfast, stopped in several art shops, had a pina colada at ( supposedly) the birthplace of the drink, more artisan shops, then had an early lunch, again at a local establishment. We even ended up buying a few prints at one shop and a nice tile at another.

It turned out to be a nice day.

M

Depending on how active you are, I highly recommend the Segway tour. It may or may not be available through the ship. If not, book directly with them. It's an easy and fun way to see most of the old city (including fort) without having to walk it!

Thanks for the replies! I will look into the Segway tour. We have done them in Ft Lauderdale and Savannah before and the kids love them so that could be an option.

We have done the whole explore, lunch, fort tour before so this may be different enough to keep everyone happy.

We were there in January in the same time frame 7 am to 2 pm and did a 3 hours walking food of Old San Juan. I highly recommend it. google Flavors of San Juan. You get a history of the island and some great Puerto Rican food.

Do you need to book anything for the forts, or can these be done on your own? And, are they good for younger kids (ages 4 & 8)?

No bookings or reservations needed. I would think the kids would love the open space to run around at San Cristobal. They might also enjoy seeing the iguanas there.