For those of you that think of moving on to Viking

jabrown40

One day you'll be one of them and will resemble your words. ;)

We try to stay out of the sun as far as possible (why did we choose a Caribbean cruise?) so we don't have to scramble for sunloungers. We took a 46 days cruise to/from Tilbury, London in late October 2018 and returned with a very modest tan, mainly from sea breezes on the 10 day Atlantic crossing each way! I have already reached the age and shape when my birthday suit needs pressing ... :D. There comes a stage when gravity wins out - but, on the bright side, the knees need no suntan lotion ...

Thank you for your comments.

I like that Viking only has balconies....regular and deluxe... all are treated the same when it comes to dining, included tours, spas, specialty rest, etc.

There are suites as well.

But if your point is that there is no “class” system on Viking, their brochures make it very clear that boarding times are given out by how much you paid for your cabin (with lower priced cabins showing boarding times well after lunch), and that those in the higher priced cabins get first crack booking shore excursions and dining. We haven’t sailed Viking Ocean, so I don’t know how this all plays out in reality, but some of the marketing materials at least have a little bit of an Animal Farm ring to them and give me a little bit of pause.

We try to stay out of the sun as far as possible (why did we choose a Caribbean cruise?) so we don't have to scramble for sunloungers. We took a 46 days cruise to/from Tilbury, London in late October 2018 and returned with a very modest tan, mainly from sea breezes on the 10 day Atlantic crossing each way! I have already reached the age and shape when my birthday suit needs pressing ... :D. There comes a stage when gravity wins out - but, on the bright side, the knees need no suntan lotion ...

Yes, one can still have 'un-ironed' parts which aren't sun exposed......LOL. :cool:

But if your point is that there is no “class” system on Viking, their brochures make it very clear that boarding times are given out by how much you paid for your cabin (with lower priced cabins showing boarding times well after lunch), and that those in the higher priced cabins get first crack booking shore excursions and dining. We haven’t sailed Viking Ocean, so I don’t know how this all plays out in reality, but some of the marketing materials at least have a little bit of an Animal Farm ring to them and give me a little bit of pause.

I leave in 4 weeks for Europe, on my first Viking Ocean cruise. I am booked in a midrange cabin, so I could only book my excursions 67 days prior to departure and specialty restaurants 60 days prior. I booked all the included excursions with no problem and got the times I wanted. Booked my specialty dining with no problems. Anyone can board the ship at 11:00am, and have lunch, our cabin will not be ready until 2:00pm..Not that much different from X..

I have 2 Celebrity cruises booked for next year, one in Sky Suite, one in Aqua.. the cost not too different from Viking, which was LESS. We are looking forward to the new experience and new cruise line.

Everyone sailing on Viking Ocean can board anytime after 11am - no matter what your cabin category. Viking has various cabin categories, NOT classes. There is a difference. If you have an early flight on the day of the cruise (never advisable), you can often arrange to board earlier.

Once on board, you can eat lunch (or breakfast as the case may be) and explore the ship. Cabins are made available by cabin category with the highest priced category going first, but often are ready ahead of that listed time.

For our upcoming West Indies cruise, we are in a Deluxe Veranda (one up from the standard, which is the lowest), we will board at 11:00am, be greeted with a welcoming glass of champagne, eat lunch, explore the ship and settle into our cabin around 2pm.

Different cabin categories have dining reservations for the included specialty restaurants, and reservations for the included shore excursions open at different times before the cruise. The highest priced cabins get the earliest pick, but everyone gets an opportunity to dine in the 2 specialty restaurants at least once, and everyone gets a spot on the included shore excursions.

In our Deluxe Veranda, we were able to get reservations for Manfredi’s on the day we wanted, but not the exact time we wanted. We can and will see if we can move it around once we are onboard. They have accommodations for that.

We were able to get the time slots we wanted for all of our included shore excursions and we were able to book all of the optional ones we wanted as well with no problems.

It was a very smooth process.

Once onboard everyone, no matter what their cabin category, is free to use the whole ship and to eat where they want. Reservations are required for Manfredi’s and the Chefs Table and that’s it. The specialty restaurants are included - no extra charge.

WiFi is included for all. Beer, wine and soft drinks are included for lunch and dinner. You can also get champagne or a mimosa with breakfast if you wish. Coffee and non-alcoholic specialty coffees are available 24/7 - no extra charge.

The upgraded beverage package - Silver Spirits - is a reasonable $20pp per day (both parties in the cabin must get it), and it includes all beverages up to $15 a glass all day.

There are better cabin amenities and bigger cabins as you get into the higher price categories, but that’s pretty much the standard with all cruise lines. These are things like a coffee maker, cashmere throw for cold weather cruises, binoculars and mini bar restock. What is included in the mini bar in all cabins is no extra charge. Higher priced cabins get alcoholic beverages included, lower priced get soft drinks and snacks.

I don’t know how to respond to your Animal Farm reference because it is so far off base that it’s ludicrous. IMO traveling on a gorgeous ship with only 928 other passengers is quite civilized.

I am no longer interested in sailing with 2500, and up, other people, including parents who bring children, then abdicate their parental responsibilities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah, more posts from wonderful Viking cruisers mocking the elderly.

Just when one thought this might be two or three rotten apples spoiling the bunch.

How pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t see any VIKING cruisers mocking the elderly. Why would we most of us are elders ourselves, although our bodies may wear marks of our many years, doesn’t mean our spirits do as well.

I tell people all the time that just because I was born a long time ago, doesn’t mean I’m old [emoji12]

I’ve been considering Celebrity because they have ships sailing out of my home port, but I’m beginning to think not so much consideration is warranted.

Yes there are minor variations, like your cabin is available one hour later. But MDR is the same for all and all have access to Specialty dining.

I don’t see any VIKING cruisers mocking the elderly. Why would we most of us are elders ourselves, although our bodies may wear marks of our many years, doesn’t mean our spirits do as well.

I tell people all the time that just because I was born a long time ago, doesn’t mean I’m old [emoji12]

I’ve been considering Celebrity because they have ships sailing out of my home port, but I’m beginning to think not so much consideration is warranted.

Well said!

There are plenty of young elders! Sadly (?) there are also plenty of old youngsters! I know which I'd prefer to be.

As a 61 year old, I'm looking forward to my 7th birthday!

Have taken Viking River Cruise - 14 days - Budapest to Amsterdam. The food is very good and we enjoyed the daily tours in the European ports. We thought about taking a Viking Ocean cruise - but NOT in the Caribbean. We are not interested in tours of the Caribbean islands. Just enjoy taking a cab to a beach, and shopping.

Thank you both.

The original poster and the one just above.

I wish they had a section for the Viking River Cruises as I would like to go on one.

If you can - please expand on the daily tours.

We never get a photo taken either, but I’ve found that I have to keep repeating no several times, with less and less of a smile, as they try to persuade us for the boarding photo and other photos on the first couple of days. After that, they will usually just ask once and then give up, which is fine.

Yep. It's *nothing* compared to the pestering you get from street vendors at the ports.

First, I am indeed one of those "older" people being 70 yrs of age. Still dance, snorkel, swim, hike, climb mountains, zip line etc. and have been on more than several cruises. I enjoy Celebrity and have two more cruises booked with X.

I took my first Viking Ocean cruise this last January and LOVED it. Yes, it was more expensive but it was worth it, for me.

All cabins are with balcony. Washer/dyers/irons for client usage with no charge. No extra charge for WiFi or PC usage. No extra charge at specialty restaurants. No extra charge for basic shore excursions with optional ones available. No photographers, no cheap "stuff" hawkers, only one short announcement a day, NO chair hogs. A very good band and classical group too. I loved the quietness but had no difficulty finding interesting fellow passengers to chat with. Staff and crew members were phenomenal and food was outstanding from buffet to MDR to specialty dining. Never felt crowded or being herded with only 900 passengers on board. I found the ship to have a very clean, beautiful visual appeal and dozens of little cozy areas I could go to and just enjoy cruising. Evening shows were enjoyable and unlike Celebrity, the volume didn't burst out my ear drums!

If one is considering Viking Ocean, I say go for it.

Edited by PROCRUISE

Thank you both.

The original poster and the one just above.

I wish they had a section for the Viking River Cruises as I would like to go on one.

If you can - please expand on the daily tours.

There is a section on Cruise Critic called River Cruises if you are interested, you will find a

Or of information about Viking and also the other lines that cruise the rivers of the world.

We have been thinking about Viking for a Baltic cruise versus Celebrity. I like the idea of only 900 or so passengers versus 2000 plus. We have been told Viking can get closer to Estonia and St Petersburg for example, versus a Celebrity or HAL ship. Is this true? What about the shore excursions included with Viking? Are they worth it? I was disappointed with Celebrity shore excursions in Alaska. Thank you for your comments.
We will be on a Holland America cruise in the Baltic region in June on the Prinsendam, HAL's smallest, which holds only ~900 passengers, about the same as a Viking Ocean ship. Check out the Prinsendam. No free excursions, but I'm enjoying working with roll call friends and doing my own. We've been on Viking river cruises and enjoy the small ships, looking forward to experiencing the smallish ocean shop, but also look forward to Celebrity Reflection with 3,000 in the fall. It's all good!

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

We have 5 star taste but not the budget so I spend a huge amount of time choosing our holidays - whether water or land based. We have cruised on different cruise lines in different grades of cabin. We prefer Oceania but can't always afford it and are booked on Celebrity in Aqua next year as we enjoyed eating in Blu last time. Would we like to cruise on Viking? Yes, of course. But it really is a lot more expensive so we can't at the moment. Simples. We would also like to try Silversea, Regent or Crystal. Maybe one day. We see our current price "level" as Oceania or Celeb Aqua. I suppose we could try Azamara but not sure it would be any better. As the saying goes "you pay your money and your make your choice".

We have 5 star taste but not the budget so I spend a huge amount of time choosing our holidays - whether water or land based. We have cruised on different cruise lines in different grades of cabin. We prefer Oceania but can't always afford it and are booked on Celebrity in Aqua next year as we enjoyed eating in Blu last time. Would we like to cruise on Viking? Yes, of course. But it really is a lot more expensive so we can't at the moment. Simples. We would also like to try Silversea, Regent or Crystal. Maybe one day. We see our current price "level" as Oceania or Celeb Aqua. I suppose we could try Azamara but not sure it would be any better. As the saying goes "you pay your money and your make your choice".

Azamara should fit in the same price level as Oceania, although both lines use dynamic pricing so it will depend on how popular a particular itinerary is. With Azamara you will get the same small cabins and bathrooms as Oceania's older ships [since they are all sisters], but a much friendlier and attendant staff and the integrated Celebrity/Azamara loyalty program. We love Azamara.

First, I am indeed one of those "older" people being 70 yrs of age. Still dance, snorkel, swim, hike, climb mountains, zip line etc. and have been on more than several cruises. I enjoy Celebrity and have two more cruises booked with X.

I took my first Viking Ocean cruise this last January and LOVED it. Yes, it was more expensive but it was worth it, for me.

All cabins are with balcony. Washer/dyers/irons for client usage with no charge. No extra charge for WiFi or PC usage. No extra charge at specialty restaurants. No extra charge for basic shore excursions with optional ones available. No photographers, no cheap "stuff" hawkers, only one short announcement a day, NO chair hogs. A very good band and classical group too. I loved the quietness but had no difficulty finding interesting fellow passengers to chat with. Staff and crew members were phenomenal and food was outstanding from buffet to MDR to specialty dining. Never felt crowded or being herded with only 900 passengers on board. I found the ship to have a very clean, beautiful visual appeal and dozens of little cozy areas I could go to and just enjoy cruising. Evening shows were enjoyable and unlike Celebrity, the volume didn't burst out my ear drums!

Thanks for your review. You summed up why we are moving our cruise dollars to Viking next year. No feral children on-board, and the lower music and entertainment volumes both are a big plus. We are tired of using earplugs in production shows or in any music venue.

We are booked on Celebrity in April and on the Viking Sun in December. We got a good deal and thought we would give Viking a try. The description of the laid-back environment, along with classical music and good entertainment sounds like something we will enjoy. I just turned 80 and my wife is in her 70's so we are definitely an "older demographic." We are both looking forward to our first sailing on Viking although we do enjoy Celebrity and sail with them every year, usually in Aqua Class.

After much anticipation, we are finally on our Viking ocean cruise in the Caribbean. We decided to try Viking after reading all of the great reviews and seeing their numerous awards. Like many of you, we to get tired of jewelry sales, photographers, and the push to upsell.With that being said, after one week so far on the Viking Sea,my husband and I Are booking our next cruise again with celebrity. We have only taken one celebrity cruise in the past, on the silhouette, and we really enjoyed it. We are 58 and 70, and have found the average age on Viking to be higher than what we expected. I think the Viking product is great if you love to read, love classical music or quiet piano music. The evening entertainment is decent with a collection of singers, and the band excellent. But the songs so far have definitely appealed more to a older generation. Not really a club for dancing if you enjoy that. The pool is definitely quiet, no games, but no music either. Things we miss from Celebrity - Martini and Sunset bars. There was more activity, and more of a “vacation vibe”. I’m not looking for a raucous party, but I like to feel some sort of “hey, we’re on vacation!” spirit. It seems most everyone on Viking is retired, so maybe coming from a different perspective. We stayed in Aqua on celebrity, and I think our room was just as nice as what we have here on Viking. Balcony is just the same. A lot of people have talked about how good the Viking food is an over all it is good. However, there’s just nothing special about going to dinner on Viking. It’s almost too casual, And although some people like the clean Scandinavian design, I think it is rather cold. We felt that our dinners in blu and especially Murano were just as good as what we’ve had On board here. If anyone has more questions, I’d be glad to answer them but for now it’s off to one of our excursions here in Aruba!

I believe that the cruise lines offer two very different experiences by design.

It is my understanding that the Viking experience is more focused on a connection with the sea and the journey to get to a destination, while more main-stream cruise lines focus on disconnecting from the day-to-day grind of life and just relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much for your post. We are looking forward to our first VO cruise...the price is so much lower than a suite on Celeb with so much more added.

Viking =$$$

This is why I wouldn't consider it. Family member picked out one in the Caribbean and asked if we'd like to go. We are going to Africa next month for less than it cost. We've been on a couple of Viking River cruises and enjoyed them but they are pricey as well. Looking at others for future bookings on the river and may still stick with Viking. (Don't like the pay up front thing.) Even though excursions are included the cost (to me) is not worth it. Plus DH likes more variety in music and I DO enjoy the activities Celebrity has on sea days.

Great comments! I appreciate the insight and think I will stick to Celebrity, although the CONSTANT barrage of photographers is really tiresome.

A photograph is a memory, you can take the ones you want and you do not have the obligation to buy them, I select 2 or 3 photos, the ones I like best for myself and my wife.

Everyone sailing on Viking Ocean can board anytime after 11am - no matter what your cabin category. Viking has various cabin categories, NOT classes. There is a difference. If you have an early flight on the day of the cruise (never advisable), you can often arrange to board earlier.

Once on board, you can eat lunch (or breakfast as the case may be) and explore the ship. Cabins are made available by cabin category with the highest priced category going first, but often are ready ahead of that listed time.

For our upcoming West Indies cruise, we are in a Deluxe Veranda (one up from the standard, which is the lowest), we will board at 11:00am, be greeted with a welcoming glass of champagne, eat lunch, explore the ship and settle into our cabin around 2pm.

Different cabin categories have dining reservations for the included specialty restaurants, and reservations for the included shore excursions open at different times before the cruise. The highest priced cabins get the earliest pick, but everyone gets an opportunity to dine in the 2 specialty restaurants at least once, and everyone gets a spot on the included shore excursions.

In our Deluxe Veranda, we were able to get reservations for Manfredi’s on the day we wanted, but not the exact time we wanted. We can and will see if we can move it around once we are onboard. They have accommodations for that.

We were able to get the time slots we wanted for all of our included shore excursions and we were able to book all of the optional ones we wanted as well with no problems.

Once onboard everyone, no matter what their cabin category, is free to use the whole ship and to eat where they want. Reservations are required for Manfredi’s and the Chefs Table and that’s it. The specialty restaurants are included - no extra charge.

WiFi is included for all. Beer, wine and soft drinks are included for lunch and dinner. You can also get champagne or a mimosa with breakfast if you wish. Coffee and non-alcoholic specialty coffees are available 24/7 - no extra charge.

The upgraded beverage package - Silver Spirits - is a reasonable $20pp per day (both parties in the cabin must get it), and it includes all beverages up to $15 a glass all day.

There are better cabin amenities and bigger cabins as you get into the higher price categories, but that’s pretty much the standard with all cruise lines. These are things like a coffee maker, cashmere throw for cold weather cruises, binoculars and mini bar restock. What is included in the mini bar in all cabins is no extra charge. Higher priced cabins get alcoholic beverages included, lower priced get soft drinks and snacks.

I don’t know how to respond to your Animal Farm reference because it is so far off base that it’s ludicrous. IMO traveling on a gorgeous ship with only 928 other passengers is quite civilized.

I am no longer interested in sailing with 2500, and up, other people, including parents who bring children, then abdicate their parental responsibilities.

Wonderful review and comments.

Thanks for your information! We are getting more and more interested of Viking!