For those of you that think of moving on to Viking

jabrown40

Yes, thank you amusea. You mentioned a few things that I didn’t, especially bringing your own spirits on board. It’s really nice to have a nightcap on the balcony! I too enjoy trying different lines and anticipating a new experience on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're foodies & in the food business. Luminae is nice, but the Riviera still has FAR better food.

We may have to try Oceania again, but we certainly weren't wowed by the food in 2011 -- or by the snobbish passengers. Right now we have found our line of choice on Azamara -- really good food, friendly passengers, amazingly friendly and empowered staff, and interesting and varied itineraries.

I still can’t get past the poster who said he or she disliked seeing scooters and walkers. If my 80 year old mother is not welcome as a fellow passenger, I wonder what kind of community this person lives in.

That attitude alone is a huge reason to avoid Viking like the plague.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still can’t get past the poster who said he or she disliked seeing scooters and walkers. If my 80 year old mother is not welcome as a fellow passenger, I wonder what kind of community this person lives in.

That attitude alone is a huge reason to avoid Viking like the plague.

Because ONE POSTER said that? I have seen similar rants on several other cruise line forums, so you may be avoiding cruising altogether. However, it is true that Viking expressly bans scooters:

Motorized scooters are not typically suited on international cruises and cannot be accommodated.

How frightening that Viking openly discriminates against the elderly and the disabled. Thank you for proving my point. That practice is despicable and should be condemned.

Also, the threads I have seen on this topic on other cruise line forums on this site object to people in scooters ramming others or cutting in line. My mother has more class than that.

How frightening that Viking openly discriminates against the elderly and the disabled. Thank you for proving my point. That practice is despicable and should be condemned.

Also, the threads I have seen on this topic on other cruise line forums on this site object to people in scooters ramming others or cutting in line. My mother has more class than that.

Just because your mother has class doesn’t mean that others do. Far too many are a menace.

I had a woman in a grocery store back a scooter up and pin me between the back of it and a shelf. She keep backing, totally ignoring my screams to stop. When she finally quit she just kept on going without a word of apology. I had huge bruises on my legs for weeks.

My husband had a guy on a cruise ship who was zooming through the atrium like Mario Andretti at the Indy 500. He knocked him over one of the sofas. Another ran over his foot.

We are very much looking forward to our scooter free Viking cruise. Wheel chairs and walkers are fine and Viking allows them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m sorry you had that experience. However, Viking’s practice, because it effectively excludes several apparently undesirable groups from its ships, and because that appears to be the intent of the practice, is prima facie discriminatory.

My mother and many others didn’t ask to get old and frail. They didn’t ask to experience chronic pain. But never they mind, because we will not set foot on one of their ships, and now that I know the truth about this company, I will make sure no one I know does either.

We have a cruise booked with Oceania summer 2019, looking forward to it. Again, I’m not saying classical music, or a quiet, restful atmosphere is a bad thing, just putting it out there for people who are trying to decide what works for them. Viking brought a local steel band on board last night,so it was a nice change of pace. And the people on our cruise are very active, rarely have walkers or wheelchairs have been spotted. They have a couple of places to get afternoon treats or light snacks, pool bar burgers are very good. So I hope some of this helps anyone looking for info.

I have really enjoyed reading your responses to the posts of others and your efforts to be objective (facts about the ship, entertainment....) rather than positive/negative in comparison to Celebrity.

Whilst we have two cruises booked with Celebrity this year and another lined up for 2020 we have 2019 presently clear....could be an opportunity to try a different line so we have been looking closely at the responses of regular X cruisers to a range of different lines...

I must say I find it very odd in these days of increasing inclusion of disabled guests that they do not accommodate motor scooters.....I don’t need one personally but I have seen the lives of many elderly/disabled guests transformed by having one. Perhaps (owing to ship design) pointing out some areas may be difficult to access, tendering may not be possible or that you need specific accessible rooms to accommodate may be necessary but an overall ban seems odd....

I’m sorry you had that experience. However, Viking’s practice, because it effectively excludes several apparently undesirable groups from its ships, and because that appears to be the intent of the practice, is prima facie discriminatory.

My mother and many others didn’t ask to get old and frail. They didn’t ask to experience chronic pain. But never they mind, because we will not set foot on one of their ships, and now that I know the truth about this company, I will make sure no one I know does either.

What truth? Viking even states that it doesn't allow scooters. No real news here.

The good news for you, however, is that there are plenty of OTHER cruise lines that you and your mother can sail on.

I find some of your responses to be borderline harassing and, as a member on these forums, don't appreciate it.

I should add that I usually see these issues from the perspective of individual responsibility for individual actions, but this is a violation of Constitutional rights in my country and several others.

When you are on a cruise ship you are no longer in your country. You are in international waters and no country’s constitution applies.

Viking allows wheelchairs and walkers for those who need them, and there are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from for those who prefer or need a scooter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yesterday I saw a gentleman on a motorized scooter coming back from an excursion, but I don’t know if the scooter was left in the disembark area? I haven’t seen him or any other scooters in the hallways. And just a side note - I love 60’s, 70’s and 80’s music also. A few more days have past, and the entertainment in the theater has been very good. Singers are very talented.

I should add that I usually see these issues from the perspective of individual responsibility for individual actions, but this is a violation of Constitutional rights in my country and several others.

IANAL, but I'm not sure that that is correct. I believe that Canada is similar to the U.S. in that companies and organizations have to make or provide reasonable accommodation for disabled people, not be mandated to allow any mode of transportation that a disabled person requests. Nobody absolutely needs or requires a motorized scooter to get around and it is not an absolute necessity for a disabled person.

Mind you, I'm not saying that I agree with Viking's policy, just that I don't believe that it is a violation of Canadian or U.S. law to not allow scooters.

Thanks for the very balanced post. After reading your thoughts it has made a strong impression....and will likely reinforce our decision to give Viking Ocean....a try. Much of what you found a negative...would be good in our eyes.

Hank

"Sounds like what cruising used to be before it turned into an over-amplified, alcohol-fueled, county fair with the Beverly Hillbillies and their feral children."

Your assessment made me lol...really.

Glad you liked it, although some took offense. It's just my observation after 35 plus cruises.

:eek:

IANAL, but I'm not sure that that is correct. I believe that Canada is similar to the U.S. in that companies and organizations have to make or provide reasonable accommodation for disabled people, not be mandated to allow any mode of transportation that a disabled person requests. Nobody absolutely needs or requires a motorized scooter to get around and it is not an absolute necessity for a disabled person.

Mind you, I'm not saying that I agree with Viking's policy, just that I don't believe that it is a violation of Canadian or U.S. law to not allow scooters.

Plus 1.

The key element is "reasonable accommodation." A scooter parked in a narrow ship hallway (or unable to be moved into a cabin or whatever) can be a significant safety hazard to the owner and other passengers. Thus, the "reasonable accommodation" is a clear statement that other aids (e.g., walkers and collapsible wheel chairs) are welcome).

Any policy that excludes an identifiable group based on immutable characteristics is unacceptable. Period. This policy has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with desired clientele.

There is no reasonable accommodation available. The scooter is the safest, most convenient alternative we have found - and I will not deny my mother comfort or security to break bread with people who look down on her.

And I’m guilty of harassment because I dare point it out. Clearly I don’t meet SargassoPirate’s high standards.

Funny, that. I have three prestigious university degrees. I have worked for the same employer for 15 years, and have received many commendations for my work. I have cruised extensively in Europe. I don’t drink. Yes, Viking is looking more and more «*cultured*» if it openly antagonizes riffraff like me.

I disagree with the bolded sentence, but otherwise agree with your post; there is no Canadian legislation that would oblige Viking or any other cruise line to accept passengers with motorized scooters. If other lines can accommodate passengers with scooters, I don't know why Viking can't on its ocean cruise ships, but that's their choice. Too bad, and very much out of step with society.

I will be taking my first Viking Ocean next month.. I’m embarking on Elite Plus status, so I’m a loyal X cruiser, but always looking for something new. As for SCOOTERS, I’m not against people with disabilities to use their walkers or wheelchairs, after 42 cruises all over the world, I have seen couples with scooters, whip past a group, park their vehicles, jump into the line and grab what they want. They may need them for long walks due to some ailments. I think it’s more of an easy way to get around. Some are not courteous.. I have had double need surgery, may not be as agile as I was 20years ago, I’m still using my own two feet. I’m looking forward to a relaxing cruise on Viking.

Any policy that excludes an identifiable group based on immutable characteristics is unacceptable. Period. This policy has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with desired clientele.

There is no reasonable accommodation available. The scooter is the safest, most convenient alternative we have found - and I will not deny my mother comfort or security to break bread with people who look down on her.

And I’m guilty of harassment because I dare point it out. Clearly I don’t meet SargassoPirate’s high standards.

Funny, that. I have three prestigious university degrees. I have worked for the same employer for 15 years, and have received many commendations for my work. I have cruised extensively in Europe. I don’t drink. Yes, Viking is looking more and more «*cultured*» if it openly antagonizes riffraff like me.

"Three degrees" and a scooter blocking part of a hallway doesn't strike you as a potential safety hazard? You may want to research the interpretation of "SOLAS II-2/13 Means of Escape."

Safety isn’t the primary consideration here, and we both know it. Viking aspires to be an elite cruise line, one that doesn’t require its cruisers to vacation with people for whom they obviously have great disdain. I hope they invent a vaccine for your return to reality.

And I’m guilty of harassment because I dare point it out. Clearly I don’t meet SargassoPirate’s high standards

That's an interesting comment since I said nothing about people with disabilities or accommodations for them.

Hopefully you will find a cruise line that is interested in your cruise dollars. Afterall, that's what we are all looking for.

So far as my comments about the dumbing down of cruising, I am tired of the cruise lines trying to make me deaf and cover up otherwise mediocre performances by turning the volume up past 10, I am tired of cruise lines that don't enforce any semblence of dinner dress, and I'm tired of cruise lines that allow children to run wild in the corridors, stairways, and elevators (acting like feral children)

That's why this thread on Viking is so appealing to me

Safety isn’t the primary consideration here, and we both know it. Viking aspires to be an elite cruise line, one that doesn’t require its cruisers to vacation with people for whom they obviously have great disdain. I hope they invent a vaccine for your return to reality.

Viking is a "wannabe" Oceania that's got a long way to go. BTW Oceania allows scooters and they are definitely a safety hazard when parked without concern for escape paths.

Your rude last sentence says a lot about you. I guess you need a fourth degree (like I and many others on CC have [emoji56]).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Viking is a "wannabe" Oceania that's got a long way to go. BTW Oceania allows scooters and they are definitely a safety hazard when parked without concern for escape paths.

Your rude last sentence says a lot about you. I guess you need a fourth degree (like I and many others on CC have [emoji56]).

From what I have seen, read, and experienced on their River cruises, I think maybe Oceana may be the wannabe here...just my opinion.