Great cruise on Equinox, but frustrating experience for friends

leisuretraveler223

I won't say it.

But who is at fault you got sick?Suite manager, butler or captain's club?

I obviously touched something somewhere or came in direct contact with someone who had it.

The ship was sick - ours was the third or fourth cruise in a row where they had noro. They did some kind of super special cleaning in Sydney and thought they had resolved it, but noro continued to spread. They really increased the sanitation activity about half way through the cruise. I don’t think they had noro on the next cruise.

She has the virus when boarded Equinox on Saturday impossible to develop for Monday.

It is clearly specified that the beverage package is not valid in room service or in the minibar.

If your friends were in quarantine, why did not you give them help?

and finally one should not drink alcoholic beverages when you are sick, even if you say otherwise

Just off Equinox, and overall had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, one of the couples with us had a less than perfect cruise. She was diagnosed with Influenza A on Monday. Started on Tamiflu but obviously put into 72 hour quarantine. At the time, they gave her husband a choice: Pack up and move to another room, or be quarantined with her. Choosing marital bliss over a cruise vacation, he accepted the quarantine.

Now, I could take issue with the fact that there is no medical indication to quarantine asymptomatic contacts who are on prophylaxis, but their ship, their rules. So I get it and let it go.

What was rather disconcerting was the degree to which they have so little in place to accommodate quarantined passengers. Sure, they check on them numerous times a day to make sure they are staying put. But they were entirely unprepared to do anything to make the experience more palatable.

My asymptomatic friend struggled to get room service delivered. Worse yet, he had a premium beverage package and they made no accommodation to allow him to obtain drinks- alcoholic or otherwise. He was told he would still be charged for the soft drinks in his room. Initially they told him if he ordered wine, beer or a cocktail he would be charged per the room service policy. After trying to explain he had a beverage package and could they possibly make some other arrangement, the tune changed to "you can't get drinks because your on a medication (tamiflu) where you're not supposed to drink". Only problem is there is no contraindication to alcohol consumption with tamiflu.

Overall, the most frustrating part was that they are very well prepared to identify, declare and enforce a quarantine. And I laud them for this! However, for something that clearly happens quire regularly, it is disappointing to have them appear entirely unprepared to make any reasonable accommodations to help someone at least salvage something from a lost vacation experience.

Just some food for thought!

Fortunately they were both cleared after 72 hours and he was able to enjoy the last two days of the cruise!

I am sorry to hear that your friends missed part of their cruise experience. I could not agree with you more.

They were being quarantined (one sick and one by choice) for the consideration of other guests. Celebrity should be very accommodation with room service from the MDR whenever it is open and free drinks if on the drink package. I am very surprised and shocked that Celebrity did not provide this service under the circumstances. It makes me wonder if there was not some kind of misunderstanding.

I suggest your friends create a short e mail to Celebrity (or TA) explaining their experience. I am very confident that Celebrity does not consider your friends experience to be acceptable.

Good luck.

She has the virus when boarded Equinox on Saturday impossible to develop for Monday.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm well aware of the incubation period. But until symptoms develop, there is no way to know who does and does not have it. Are you suggesting every one of the several thousand people should be swabbed at the terminal before boarding?

It is clearly specified that the beverage package is not valid in room service or in the minibar.

Ummm, yes, I'm aware of this. HOWEVER, if someone is going to be placed in quarantine, it seems only reasonable that the cruise line would have a more standardized and coherent plan in place to make reasonable accommodations to make the time a little more tolerable. And this seems like a very obvious and simple step.

We did. On several occasions. However, the three days they were quarantined were all port days. So there was an extended period where we were off the ship. Furthermore, had they been cruising without other friends, then what? They're just out of luck?

and finally one should not drink alcoholic beverages when you are sick, even if you say otherwise

Please read a little more carefully before your sanctimonious pontificating. HE was not sick. HE was never sick. HE was on quarantine and prophylaxis.

Please read a little more carefully before your sanctimonious pontificating. HE was not sick. HE was never sick. HE was on quarantine and prophylaxis.

Being quarantined in the same cabin was subject to infection. It is not about what the booklet says, is common and reasonable?. What I understand after having read is that in most cases you do not agree with the opinions and try to blame someone, when the responsibility lies with your friends. Instead of thanking some advice, he responds with fury.

I better shut my mouth. thanks for your comments.

Being quarantined in the same cabin was subject to infection. It is not about what the booklet says, is common and reasonable?. What I understand after having read is that in most cases you do not agree with the opinions and try to blame someone, when the responsibility lies with your friends. Instead of thanking some advice, he responds with fury.

g - the good Dr. did not intervene, either. :')

bon voyage

You asserted that someone should not drink alcoholic beverages when one is sick. I was simply pointing out that I was NOT talking about someone who is sick.

Again, I think you're missing the point. My bigger displeasure with this whole situation was the completely disjointed delivery of information and services in this circumstance.

I think the OP made a thoughtful and reasonable suggestion. When quarantines occur have a standardized service offering to make the passenger as comfortable and happy as possible. Free minbar access and moves seem like a no-brainer. Some enhanced roomservice would be nice as well. At the end of the day I have to believe that these gestures would cost Celebrity very little while building immense good will.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, hopefully a much more definitive plan will be implemented on all ships. I do realize there are always extenuating circumstances, but a more detailed plan with specifics would be very beneficial. With all the flu and norovirus going around this year, it is definitely a heightened situation for all passengers.

Getting ready to board Equinox on Saturday, As such, while I am very sorry to hear of your friend's sickness at the same time glad to hear that Celebrity took action to quarantine. That said, considering flu (unlike noro) lasts a lot longer than 2 days the fact that it was only a 2 day quarantine is a little disturbing - chances are she was still contagious when the quarantine was lifted, although I'm sure it all depends when the illness actually began.

All that said, I am sorry to hear how disappointing the quarantine service was. There should be no problem with room service, quarantined passengers with a drink package should be allowed to order drinks without paying and/or use the mini-bar, and it's a nice touch to give them free pay for view movies. Sounds like Celebrity really dropped the ball in this respect.

And in a final observation - this is one reason I will never, ever again book an inside cabin (among many reasons, but this is the primary). Can you imagine being quarantined for multiple days in a virtual closet without being allowed to exit?!? Ugh. I think I honestly would need to be medicated for the impact to my mental health.

flu (unlike noro) lasts a lot longer than 2 days the fact that it was only a 2 day quarantine is a little disturbing - chances are she was still contagious when the quarantine was lifted, although I'm sure it all depends when the illness actually began.

Just for clarification, the quarantine wasn't two days, but three (72 hours). Also, she was released as she had been afebrile off antipyretics for greater than 24 hours. Had the fevers perssted, her quarantine would have continued. After 72 hours of symptoms, an afebrile individual being treated with Tamiflu is not likely to demonstrate a substantial degree of contagiousness.

In his case, an individual treated prophylactically for exposure is not contagious without symptoms.

This would be an example of "You Can Explain It, But You Can't Make It Understood" :D

Celebrity in my experience does just fine for a mass market cruise line, providing an acceptable mass market product when everything goes properly. My experience has been when out of the box thinking is appropriate Celebrity is woefully unprepared to empower their front line people to actually provide solutions.

The result in this example as the husband voluntarily quarantining himself, no enhanced room service, no access to the drink package, no extra effort to make sure he is acknowledged for making the "right" choice.

If nothing goes wrong, it all works out but when the train comes off the tracks, Celebrity is bottom quartile when it comes to solutions.

Celebrity in my experience does just fine for a mass market cruise line, providing an acceptable mass market product when everything goes properly. My experience has been when out of the box thinking is appropriate Celebrity is woefully unprepared to empower their front line people to actually provide solutions.

Sadly, this is true for most lines. The reality is that most of their staff have no formal training in hospitality. They are trained on the job, and don't have the authority or insight to actually work and solve a problem. They can only do what is basically prescribed....

Had the flu on the January 7 sailing of the Eclipse. Got sick on the 9th day of the 14 day sailing. I was quarantined for 3 days - while I had a fever above 99 degrees. I received very good treatment from the medical facility and from other crew members. I was given Tamiflu, as was my husband (no symptoms). My husband was not quarantined. I ordered room service and it was promptly delivered. Guest Relations called me daily and sent me free bottles of water. Two pay for view movies were available to me - for free. Kudos to Celebrity for the caring treatment I received.

Had the flu on the January 7 sailing of the Eclipse. Got sick on the 9th day of the 14 day sailing. I was quarantined for 3 days - while I had a fever above 99 degrees. I received very good treatment from the medical facility and from other crew members. I was given Tamiflu, as was my husband (no symptoms). My husband was not quarantined. I ordered room service and it was promptly delivered. Guest Relations called me daily and sent me free bottles of water. Two pay for view movies were available to me - for free. Kudos to Celebrity for the caring treatment I received.

That sounds more like it! Unfortunately, this shows one of the more frustrating things about cruising: Inconsistency. Your husband wasn't quarantined, my friend was. You received great attention and care, my friend did not.

I won't say it.

But who is at fault you got sick?Suite manager, butler or captain's club?

Some viruses are airborne. Should everyone wear a surgical mask 24/7 while out in public to avoid getting sick? :rolleyes:

We are talking about extenuating circumstances... i.e. being quarantined, and using common sense in conjunction with those. The husband wasn't sick; why shouldn't he be able to relax on the balcony with a beer or a cocktail? And why punish him by charging minibar prices, under the (extenuating circumstanes)?

I think the OP's first post was very clear and I agree completely. I am also impressed with the OP's continued patience with some of the comments that were made.

Thanks for sharing, and let's hope that X improves in the future with respect to consistency and being prepared.

One of the things I really enjoy about celebrity, is their on-board experience, customer service and attention to detail. So I would hope they would go a little more out of their way to bend some rules for people that are quarantined (for example, honouring a beverage package while in stateroom during quarantine).

Orator's comments on this regard are also very appropriate; the more celebrity does, the more willing people would be to come forward with illness reporting.

Unlimited WiFi might be a nice add-on in this case for a quarantined person in their stateroom who does have an interest in being online.

I was on the Silhouette in January and was talking to the crew member that stands in front of the Ocean Cafe that hands out the Purcell. He said a passenger that was quarantined to their cabin, left the cabin and security found him and he was kicked off the ship as he did not follow the quarantine rules.

I was also told, a lady refused to go to the Muster Drill, she was asked to leave the ship, good that the ship was still at the dock.

Celebrity follows the rules for our safety.