E-mail upsell offer question

CruzCrazy

For any of you who have accepted an e-mail upsell offer, do you lose any OBC you have with your current cabin or does it carry over? I currently have an offer that I might consider, and the answer to this question will help me decide one way or the other.

TIA.

I accepted an up-sell today for the Vista... From an inside to a balcony for $150 total. I looked on my email invoice, and the OBC I had is still there.

Thanks for the quick reply. May I ask how soon is your cruise? Yours seems like a really good offer. Mine is still 290 days out, and this is the 2nd offer we've gotten, but it's nowhere near as good as yours.

Hope it's OK if I tag on to this with some questions. I got and e-mail upsell from a balcony to an extended balcony for $14. Not a huge upgrade, but we would like the extra balcony space. We're about 165 days out. If I accept this upgrade does that take me off the table for future offers? Or is it possible to get another? If I don't accept the upgrade will that keep me from future offers?

TIA

For any of you who have accepted an e-mail upsell offer, do you lose any OBC you have with your current cabin or does it carry over? I currently have an offer that I might consider, and the answer to this question will help me decide one way or the other.

TIA.

Hi CruzCrazy

You should call and verify before committing. You don't always keep the OBC.

Also hijacking the thread... can I use OBC for an up sell offer if I receive one? I have a lot of OBC and was thinking of calling to see if I can use it for an upgrade or waiting and hoping for an up sell offer.

I don't think that will work because when I proceed with accepting my upgrade I am required to pay for it right now. Once I get to the final screen they asked for a credit card. I was surprised. I thought maybe they'd add it to my balance, but nope - they want the money for the upgrade now!

Hope it's OK if I tag on to this with some questions. I got and e-mail upsell from a balcony to an extended balcony for $14. Not a huge upgrade, but we would like the extra balcony space. We're about 165 days out. If I accept this upgrade does that take me off the table for future offers? Or is it possible to get another? If I don't accept the upgrade will that keep me from future offers?

TIA

You may still get upgrade offers even after accepting one. I accepted an upgrade last month from an OV to a balcony and then yesterday got an offer for another upgrade...not as good though (8B to 8G) so I did not take it.

For those of you who have gotten these offers, do you travel with others? We have just completed our 27th Carnival cruise and have never gotten an upsell call or email?

I honestly don't know. I only have three cruises with Carnival so clearly its not based on that. I think it is just demand. The cruise I received the offer for is a Journeys cruise this September that I booked over 18 months in advance. At that point, there was plenty of availability but now they might want more of a certain type of cabin so that is why I am getting the offers. Who knows though. I have 15 cruises on a different cruise line and have never gotten an upgrade/upsell from them.

For those of you who have gotten these offers, do you travel with others? We have just completed our 27th Carnival cruise and have never gotten an upsell call or email?

We've never gotten an upgrade offer either. Just completed our 227th days on CCL and have been Diamond for the past 3 (2 week Journey) cruises. We also have another booked for Jan. 2019. Sometimes I wonder if CCL figures that since we have always and probably always WILL cruise with them, that they will give offers to others to try to generate repeat cruisers. Just MO, but weird we've never been offered ANYTHING. And have been on every cruise's roll call and almost every week there's at least one post about some offer given. :confused:

You will only retain your OBC if the new offer also included OBC. For example today I noticed the price went down for my cruise so I am going to request the new rate. With the rate I currently have it came with 450 OBC. The new rate does not include OBC so I will lose that but with the price difference I still come out ahead.

You can't pay for upgrades with OBC. You have to be onboard for that. When I have a lot of OBC I usually opt to not prepay gratuities and then I can use it for that.

I haven't cruised enough (yet!) to have any anecdotal data for you.

But I would say that if you travel with two or more cabins with linked bookings, especially if you are all nearby in the same cabin class, Carnival probably doesn't want to try to figure out how to move you all, so they just offer to individual bookings to avoid the organizational hassle.

Plus, it might depend on when you typically cruise: if you are almost always on a cruise where demand is high, there are fewer chances to upsell.

And it may depend on the cabin class you typically book - there may be fewer opportunities to upsell to you - e.g. if you always book an aft ext balcony, the theoretical upsells would be limited to suites (or maybe an aft balc on a higher deck, I suppose).

Yesterday I receive my first email or call from Carnival for an upsell - this is my 9th Carnival cruise.

Around $80 total to move from a Cove Balcony to a Spa Balcony on the Magic for 7 days. I love the Cove Balconies, but was overruled... Anyways - we're about 3 months out and the Spa Balconies were not listed as available on Carnival's website - so this upsell seemed a bit odd!

I always travel with just 2 people in the room. A couple times there are others in the travel group, but our reservations aren't linked in anyway.

You will only retain your OBC if the new offer also included OBC. For example today I noticed the price went down for my cruise so I am going to request the new rate. With the rate I currently have it came with 450 OBC. The new rate does not include OBC so I will lose that but with the price difference I still come out ahead.

You can't pay for upgrades with OBC. You have to be onboard for that. When I have a lot of OBC I usually opt to not prepay gratuities and then I can use it for that.

I guess that is why they call it OBC- On Board Credit:confused:....LoL

I got the email yesterday. Obstructed balcony to extended balcony $32.00 total. we had 4 rooms and all got the same offer. We called our PVP and he took care of the up grade. We kept obc, the $32 was added to balance we own and all 4 rooms stayed together. Love our PVP

When I received this offer, I was at 102 days from sailing. I did receive another email a couple of months ago for around $300 to go from inside to balcony, so it may pay for you to wait.

Thanks for the quick reply. May I ask how soon is your cruise? Yours seems like a really good offer. Mine is still 290 days out, and this is the 2nd offer we've gotten, but it's nowhere near as good as yours.

I have 35 or so Carnival cruises and received my first upsell email a few days ago. I had previously only gotten upsell phone calls.

For this offer, it was $440 extra to go from an inside on verandah deck to a balcony on Empress. While the difference in bookings looked to be over $500, I didn't think enough of the upsell offer to accept as a solo cruiser.

When I received this offer, I was at 102 days from sailing. I did receive another email a couple of months ago for around $300 to go from inside to balcony, so it may pay for you to wait.

Okay, thanks! We have decided to wait since we are happy with the cabin we currently have (a 4J walkway view on the Horizon). The offer seemed a little steep ($525 to move to a balcony on the same deck 7), but it was about $400 off the going rate on the website.

Still, we usually book balconies, so we will wait and see what might come down the pike as the sail date approaches (289 days and counting, LOL).