Seattle disembarkation advice

gambit57

On the Bliss. It's scheduled to arrive at 8 AM in Seattle. We have no status with NCL.

Is a 11:25 AM flight too early if we want to eat breakfast on the ship?

Breakfast isn't necessary, but it would be nice. Next cheap flight out is at 5 PM. Quite a ways off.

What day of the week is it? You may be able to pull it off, but check the Mariner's schedule as the ball park is between the port and the airport with a day game it could be a traffic issue. Worst comes to worst there was an inexpensive excursion last year when we did the Pearl that toured the city, then dropped you off at the airport. One other thing if it is offered use the port valet service that Seattle has, no searching for your bags they go right to the airline you don't have to deal with them till you get home, and it's FREE.

https://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Pages/Port-Valet.aspx

On the Bliss. It's scheduled to arrive at 8 AM in Seattle. We have no status with NCL.

Breakfast isn't necessary, but it would be nice. Next cheap flight out is at 5 PM. Quite a ways off.

Yes it is. We wanted to do the bliss than overnight in new york home on QM2 but the flight was the issue. The airport is a number of miles from the terminal. You will have to leave enough time to get through airport security and immigration and for thousands of people to get off the ship. Unlikely to have enough time to do all that by 11.25am even if you were first off the ship

You will be disembarking on a Saturday morning. Just North of you at Smith Cove, two or three other cruise ships will also be disembarking passengers. SeaTac Airport will be a zoo with everyone trying to get through the ticket counters and security at the same time.

Added to that, Summer is prime road construction season especially this year with the dismantling of the Alaskan Way Viaduct along the waterfront.

Can you make an 11:25 A.M. flight--maybe. To me, not worth it.

Do easy walk off and you will be fine. My wife and I eat breakfast around 6:30am, got in line around 7am and were off the ship and driving away in a cab for the airport at 8am. The ride is only about 30 minutes in light traffic. We had a 10:45am flight and made it the airport, thru check in and thru security by 9:10am

You will be disembarking on a Saturday morning. Just North of you at Smith Cove, two or three other cruise ships will also be disembarking passengers. SeaTac Airport will be a zoo with everyone trying to get through the ticket counters and security at the same time.

Added to that, Summer is prime road construction season especially this year with the dismantling of the Alaskan Way Viaduct along the waterfront.

Can you make an 11:25 A.M. flight--maybe. To me, not worth it.

Yes, this is the key... you CAN probably streamline your disembarkation and make it to the airport by employing a good set of elbows but SeaTac security can be a zoo if you don't have airline status... and that also assumes you don't need to join the check-in/baggage line.

IF you have a later flight option... I'd take it; rather than stress (starting the evening before most likely). Instead, kick back, leisurely breakfast, wander off, chuckle at the mania, extra Starbucks at SeaTac, maximum vacation chill.

What day of the week is it? You may be able to pull it off, but check the Mariner's schedule as the ball park is between the port and the airport with a day game it could be a traffic issue. Worst comes to worst there was an inexpensive excursion last year when we did the Pearl that toured the city, then dropped you off at the airport. One other thing if it is offered use the port valet service that Seattle has, no searching for your bags they go right to the airline you don't have to deal with them till you get home, and it's FREE.

If the cruise is any time after May the Mariners will be out of it anyway and attendance will drop ;)

Seriously, Sunday games don't start until 1PM so traffic isn't an issue until around an hour prior to the game.

A Sunday in September with a Seahawk home game would be more of an issue but still wouldn't be noticeable until abut 2 hours before game time.

If the cruise is any time after May the Mariners will be out of it anyway and attendance will drop ;)

Seriously, Sunday games don't start until 1PM so traffic isn't an issue until around an hour prior to the game.

A Sunday in September with a Seahawk home game would be more of an issue but still wouldn't be noticeable until abut 2 hours before game time.

The Bliss is a Saturday- Saturday sailing.

Yeah, it's a Saturday.

We also have PreCheck so unless Seattle is like Orlando (where the PreCheck line is way longer than the non-PreCheck), that should help with security. No airline status, but it's Southwest. They're pretty good about changes and there are like 10+ flights that day.

Road construction that www3traveler mentions worries me a little. However, if I leave the ship at 8, that gives me 3 hours to go what normally takes 25 minutes with light traffic and get through security. It sounds like I should just do all carry on so I don't have to deal with checking in bags. Still have to look into that secure porter thing. I did something like that going to Vancouver, and it was great. Don't recall what happened up in Anchorage with luggage as I took a really late flight and remember sitting in the airport for a really long time.

I've been to Sea-Tac once before (non-cruise vacation) and remember it being a nice, clean, efficient airport. Nothing like LAX or SFO, which is what I'm used to. Fast like Sacramento and better than Oakland or Orange County. But, that was just one trip and it might have been a good day/time or something. Don't think I had PreCheck then, but it was only a few years ago and I can't remember when PreCheck started.

The Bliss is a Saturday- Saturday sailing.

Then sports related traffic probably won't be an issue. The Mariners usually play evening games on Saturday and the Huskies play north of the pier. The Sounders could play during the day on Saturday but won't affect morning traffic.

that is cutting it way too close. SeaTac is about 30 minutes south fo the city. unless you are literally ready to walk off as soon as they make the annoucement for the self walk off, i dont think you'll make it.

buffet us usually open around 5 or 6 am. i would forget trying to do a sit down in the dining room.

We live near the cruise port in downtown Seattle and always leave our place 2.5 hours prior to any scheduled flight out of SeaTac (we always take light rail which, depending on traffic, can take longer than driving). We've never had a problem making a flight. If you feel confident that you'll be off the ship by 9ish, I think you'll be fine. And even if there's some risk of missing the flight, you're on Southwest and they will re-book you for no charge. I'd go for it if it's helpful for you to get home earlier in the day. Have a great trip!

In the summer, you may have a problem if you are checking luggage. We fly out of SEA quite often but were caught by surprise last summer by very long check-in lines. (We try to stay home in the summer because it's so beautiful here.) Several people around us missed flights. The airline employees said that was typical for summer. Light rail from downtown is easy and direct. 30 minutes. You will have a bit of a walk from the train to the terminal, but there are carts you can ride, if needed.

Of course there is always a chance you won’t make it, but under normal circumstances IF you are the among the first to disembark and get straight into a cab/uber you should be fine. TSA Pre lines at Sea Tac are generally quick so that does help. Have a great cruise!

We live near the cruise port in downtown Seattle and always leave our place 2.5 hours prior to any scheduled flight out of SeaTac (we always take light rail which, depending on traffic, can take longer than driving). We've never had a problem making a flight. If you feel confident that you'll be off the ship by 9ish, I think you'll be fine. And even if there's some risk of missing the flight, you're on Southwest and they will re-book you for no charge. I'd go for it if it's helpful for you to get home earlier in the day. Have a great trip!

That's what I'm banking on. :') There are 2 direct flights later that day even if we miss it so not the end of the world. Especially since it's a Saturday and we don't have plans the next day. 3 with layover for a total of 5 chances after that 11:30 flight, but at that point, I'd probably be willing to just catch a flight the next day as well than deal with a long layover. Seattle in the summer is not exactly roughing it.

Awesome information!!!! Thanks