Alaska Cruise 7/18-- questions about being outdoors on the ship

savannah2117

We will be on the Star Princess out of Whittier this July. We have been on several Caribbean cruises but this is our first Alaska trip. Do people sit out by the pool or use the hot tubs much? What would be "typical" deck clothing? I didn't bring jeans to the caribbean but I'm guessing more of a jeans, sweatshirt and tennis shoes or leggings and a sweat shirt?

Also, is the pool area covered? We are considering getting a couple of half day passes to the Sancturary, is there a hot tub back there? I guess I'm trying to envision what our sea days are going to look like. We have an inside cabin so that is why we were considering getting the sanctuary. Also, does it sell out or is that something we can decide to purchase on a day by day decision?

We are very excited!! We chose Alaska for the ports but of course we will enjoy the ship as well.

The Calypso Reef & Pool is covered. The Lap Pool is located in the spa but can be accessed from the Sun Deck outside the Sanctuary. there are two hot tubs there. You might take one pair shorts just in case. The glacier days it will be cold. think 40's. You might want to take gloves. Jeans will not be out of place. Take layers. EM

Hello all I can say is what I experienced last July on our Alaskan cruise. Weather is the dominating factor as to how much time you spend on the deck. We went 9-16 July. Weather was warm but not pool weather. People used the hot tubs a lot. only a few used the pool. People would lay in lounge chairs and soak up the sun; but it never got above 62 degrees; mostly in the high 50's. The Sanctuary has lounge chairs but the hot tub is part of the spa area which you have access to. Oh, I was on Emerald Princess so can not speak for the ship you are on. Emerald does not have a covered pool

. Like the above posting says, layer your clothes. Hat and gloves are a must. Rain Gear is also a must. Jeans are good too and good waterproof walking shoes. I have a pair of Merrill waterproof sneakers

We've been on two Alaska trips that were in July, once in early July and once in late July

Both times, outdoor temps were in the high 70s/80s. Our last one, Star Princess, two years ago, Glacier Bay scenic cruising day was around 86f outside. We loved it - were in shorts and tank tops with flip flos, or in the pools and taking in the gorgeous scenery - and cracking up at the folks bundled to the nines because they hadn't checked weather predictions before the day or so before they left, or hadn't packed layers and options.

Weather in Alaska is quite changeable, and can be pretty warm to hot in summertime, oe cool and wet. Be prepared for either or both.

Star has a covered pool also.

As for Sanctuary - it's extra in Glacier Bay or other scenic cruising days. We don't ever find it worth the cost - although others love it... As for Alaska and seeing the scenery - we would definitely not find it worth it as moving all around in the different decks and perspectives made all kinds of difference on what you saw, perspective and awe! To each their own on the Sanctuary - there's lots andots and lots of open deck space to enjoy the sights...

Best advice, bring layers - including shorts and t-shirts, and waterproof layer..

I agree with reedprincess ... take layers for both types of weather. We've experienced the worst and the best of Alaskan weather and all cruises have been amazing.

The Star has a two deck indoor pool area with plenty of seating, although it may get crowded in the event of inclement weather.

We've been on cruises up there where it was warm enough to sit out by the outdoor pool before and seen many fellow passengers doing so. But, as I've mentioned, we've also been in the sleet and freezing cold and some horrific winds, as well.

Just be prepared by taking layers, a pair of shorts, sandals, a swimsuit (there are hot tubs and a large pool in the covered area as well as in the outdoor pool area. Also, take jeans and a nice warm lined waterproof jacket and an umbrella, a hat and gloves, warm scarf, jeans, water resistant shoes, sweatshirts / sweaters and clothes for layering.

The Sanctuary can be completely booked or not busy at all ... just depends. I would book it once and see if you really enjoy it and go from there. I used it only once and didn't find it worth the extra money....but that is just me. There are plenty of areas to relax other than the Sanctuary...places where you can check out the scenery better than from up there.

BTW, be sure to check out the Trident Grill menu one evening. They had some really good crab cakes up there for dinner one night and we grabbed a few blankets, ate crab cakes and watched a movie out on the deck one night. It wasn't freezing cold and you can always get a nice warm drink there anyway, even if it is on the cooler side.

We've been on two Alaska trips that were in July, once in early July and once in late July 70s/80s. Our last one, Star Princess, two years ago, Glacier Bay scenic cruising day was around 86f outside. We loved it - were in shorts and tank tops with flip flos, or in the pools and taking in the gorgeous scenery - and cracking up at the folks bundled to the nines because they hadn't checked weather predictions before the day or so before they left, or hadn't packed layers and options."

I hope we get that weather!!!!:)

Goodness, I tried to use the quote feature, but I can't figure it out!!!

Hi just hit the quote button; once the window opens scroll down to the last word of the thread and hit the return key. Your quote must start on the line following the end of the sentence

Hi there, I have read your question, my husband and I also went on an Alaska cruise with Princess... we went in June and it was beautiful, some parts like when you get close to the iceburgs when you go outside it can get a bit chilly but they bring round blankets to put across your shoulders which made all the difference, other than that the weather was fine. the pools were open and we had sail away parties, cannot fault the cruise at all, we went on the golden princess but most of the ships are similar. I hope you have a fantastic time