Weather/nor'easter

I am sailing on harmony sat. I am due to fly out to fort lauderdale friday at 8am.

The weather says we are getting a nor'easter, with heavy rain(at first) and wind gusts 40-50mph.

Long story short how likely is my flight gonna get cancelled?? Alternative could be rent a car, and start driving thurs nite after hubby comes home from work

I am afraid to check my luggage and then flight cancelled. It's at least a 20 hour drive to ship. And if i check luggage how long to get it back if flight is cancelled.

How hard or strong do winds have to be to cancel flight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hubby is working thurs. I dont know if his job will let him off, or let him off early. When he leaves the house at 4:30am, I never know when he will be home. It could be 4:30pm, it could be 7pm.

I've texted his dispatcher to ask that question. Now its a waiting game.

Hubby is working thurs. I dont know if his job will let him off, or let him off early. When he leaves the house at 4:30am, I never know when he will be home. It could be 4:30pm, it could be 7pm.

I've texted his dispatcher to ask that question. Now its a waiting game.

I'd look for a late flight on Thursday evening.

Just to answer one question, if flight is canceled you would get your luggage back right away. Happened to me twice - in my case it was a connecting flight that was canceled due to winter storm at final destination. They gave me my luggage so I could have my stuff overnight.

Have you gotten alerts from airline yet? We were in Houston last weekend and got alerts the day before our flt home that bad weather might impact our Sunday flt home. It didn't but it said we could change our flt without a fee. Also we live in the NY area and the weather report looks bad starting late Thursday so not sure what your options will be for leaving earlier. Maybe a late Friday night flt after the storm passes? Good luck.

If the plane can get OFF the ground, you will fly above the storm....I wouldn't worry....don't think Florida is in the picture for this storm, so you should be ok. However, I, too, would try and leave on Thurs!

Wether issues can cause all kinds of issues with an airlines routing structure, when a flight cancels it can actually have a ripple effect affecting multiple flights. If there are multiple cancellations due to weather is will create havoc for the airline with long lines, long wait times, extensive delays etc.

Call the airline and discuss options. Another alternative is Amtrak up to either Newark-Penn Station or New York-Penn Station depending on your departure port.

Just to answer one question, if flight is canceled you would get your luggage back right away. Happened to me twice - in my case it was a connecting flight that was canceled due to winter storm at final destination. They gave me my luggage so I could have my stuff overnight.

How fast you get your luggage back would also depend on 1) whether or not they have to off load from the plane or just empty the luggage carts; 2) how busy the crews are with other flights arriving/departing; 3) whether or not they have to deal with multiple cancellations.

I work for a major airline as mechanic and I suggest you try and get an earlier flight. Even with change fees it would probably be cheaper than renting a car and driving down. Also, if you were to check your bags and the flight is cancelled it could take several hours for your bags to be returned...

Bill

I work for a major airline as mechanic and I suggest you try and get an earlier flight. Even with change fees it would probably be cheaper than renting a car and driving down. Also, if you were to check your bags and the flight is cancelled it could take several hours for your bags to be returned...

Bill

Very important info, thanks Bill!

Bill

Yes! I was one of the unfortunate thousands of people who flew (well, tried to fly) during the bomb cyclone. They delayed everyone in the terminal for hours and then finally did a mass cancellation of all flights. We didn't get our luggage for 2+ hours. I would try to get a flight Thursday night; if they know bad weather is coming they will issue a waiver for you to change flights without a fee. Call and do it ASAP as other people are probably thinking the same thing and those remaining flights will fill up fast. Once/if your flight get cancelled, the whole getting on another flight game gets infinitely more difficult. Good luck!

I guess by asking about flight being cancelled, and probability of it. I was more interested in the wind factor. People on these boards fly alot. Pilots cruise. So if someone said for ex winds over 40mph will get cancelled. That would be a help.

And thank you too mechanic bill for info about luggage. That is a deciding factor because trying to do a last ditch drive still may not make the boat

I called southwest. No way to tell yet if flite will be cancelled. And couldn't answer the wind question.

So basically hubbys job will let him off early thurs. We will catch a 2:45pm flite down. For an extra $725. Heavy sigh

The storm comes in thurs night and intensifies all thru too sat sometime

Now from what i read online about the wind, alot depends on direction of wind and direction of plane. But basically around 28mph things get dicey

We are flying from Rochester to JFK Friday morning arriving at 6:51. We are scheduled to depart JFK at 9:50 to fly to San Juan. I just checked the weather forecast for Friday and the high winds are not supposed to get to New York City until after 12:00. You should have no problem getting out at 8:00.

So basically hubbys job will let him off early thurs. We will catch a 2:45pm flite down. For an extra $725. Heavy sigh

I think you made a smart decision to look ahead and fly early. By the time the airlines start waiving fees it may be too late to get a seat on another flight in time for the cruise, and weather delays affect not only the airline but also the airport as a whole. It is worth the extra $ for the peace of mind to get ahead of the storm. Good luck and have a great cruise.

We are flying from Rochester to JFK Friday morning arriving at 6:51. We are scheduled to depart JFK at 9:50 to fly to San Juan. I just checked the weather forecast for Friday and the high winds are not supposed to get to New York City until after 12:00. You should have no problem getting out at 8:00.

This assumes that the airline doesn't proactively cancel flights. Lately the airlines have been concerned enough about stranding passengers that they overcompensate by canceling additional flights before everyone leaves home. Delta left us stranded in Florida by proactively canceling two days of flights through ATL last December, and the earliest flight they could get us back on was three days later. So we booked last minute on American out of MIA but I consider myself lucky in that instance.

Thank you pratique. After booking this cruise before it was completed on being built. And being in our first full suite. Add in drink pkge, dining pkge and all. I'm not gonna risk thousands for a few hundred

I learned this from experience. A few years ago I saw a big snowstorm coming and re-booked several days before the airline started to waive fees. If I hadn't done that we would have lost at least three or four days of our vacation waiting for the next available flight after the storm. Yes it cost more both in airfare and hotel but we got a longer than expected vacation instead of a shorter and more stressful one. With a cruise you can't be late! Enjoy the suite!

We were supposed to leave CT Friday morning at 6 for our San Juan cruise which leaves Saturday. My husband had been watching the weather and I was checking Thursday’s airline schedules. I called Jet Blue Monday and they already knew about possible bad weather and waived the change fee. Oddly (nicely!) enough, the same flight Thursday cost LESS than what we paid so we get an extra day’s vacation for the cost of hotel and meals. And no worrying for days.

I am sailing on harmony sat. I am due to fly out to fort lauderdale friday at 8am.

The weather says we are getting a nor'easter, with heavy rain(at first) and wind gusts 40-50mph.

Long story short how likely is my flight gonna get cancelled?? Alternative could be rent a car, and start driving thurs nite after hubby comes home from work

I am afraid to check my luggage and then flight cancelled. It's at least a 20 hour drive to ship. And if i check luggage how long to get it back if flight is cancelled.

How hard or strong do winds have to be to cancel flight

OK- do not want to too technical but here are the specs for a 737-800/700, which is one of the types of aircraft Southwest Airlines uses. Remember, other types of aircraft have different specs (but they are similar).

Crosswind limits for takeoff (B737-700/800):

Dry (with winglets) 34 kts

Dry (without winglets) 36 kts

Wet: 25 kts

Standing Water / Slush: 15 kts

Snow - No Melting: 25 kts

Ice - No Melting 15 kts

Crosswind Limits for landing:

Dry: 40 kts

Wet: 40 kts

Standing Water /Slush 20 kts

Snow - no melting: 35 kts

Ice - no melting: 17 kts.

Crosswind Limits for autoland: 25 kts.

Crosswind Limits for autoland (One Engine Inoperative): 20 kts.

Crosswind limit have to be reduced by 5 kts whenever asymmetrical thrust is used, side-slip only (no crab) landings are not recommended with crosswind components greater than 17 kts at F15, 20 kts at F30 or 23 kts at F40. Take off and landing on untreated snow or ice is only allowed if no melting is present.

All limits are valid for both narrow runway operation and runways with a width of 45m or more.

The airport I work at has 2 east/west crosswind runways. When the conditions warrant - excessive cross winds (winds that are not necessarily perpendicular to main runways), the 4 main runways (north/south), are shut down until that time the cross winds are within normal parameters. Now remember, if those 'main' runways are unavailable, then all those arrival and departures will either: be delayed (departures), diverted (arrivals), or out right cancelled......

Hope this clears up a bit of confusion.....So for being late for writing this, I just got off work.

One last item: Winds in excess of 50 knots will shut any airport down....regardless of direction..

Bill