THANK YOU CRUISE CRITIC; & other Silly musings from 2/18-25 sailing.

scanditaly

Hello Cruise Critic fellows: I returned home from FLL, and really want to thank all of you who post great travel/cruise tips, and share your cruising life with all of us. In no particular order:

Newdymium magnets were super useful. I brought 4 (90lb) and 4 (50lb). The 90 of course were much better going through the stateroom wall, and held mini dining room purse, swim cover-up, visors, sunglasses, tees/shorts, swimsuits, and even just paper that needed high visibility on a wall. We had the corner aft Skysuite, and realized later that the poles were perfect for holding robes and pj's.

The pillows actually had clean zippered pillow protectors. I have never seen these before.

DH drone was confiscated during check-in at FLL and only returned after going through final customs/immigration.

Wine beyond our two bottles was also confiscated, but given back once on board the ship. We had purchased it in Naples, FL before our cruise, and had intended to bring it home anyway, so no harm done. Yes, we had the beverage package.

Butler made it clear that any items in the mini-fridge would be charged upon consumption.

Heard others complaining about Lawn club grill and the same slow service, even though only two other tables occupied. I have read this on various CC threads and was wondering. When we went on the second sea day for lunch, felt that the wait was a bit long for food (20-25 min) but not bad.

Used the X shorex for the Grand Cayman Deluxe Stingray city tour, and felt that tour itself was great, but seemed a bit pricey for only going there, staying about 45 minutes total and then returning to pick up area. First the tender, then a wait in a tent while another tender brought more folks., then a trolley to the other marina, then on board the boat which had actual tables and chairs, then reverse back. Whew! next time, I'd like to find a smaller boat to arrive a bit faster, and perhaps do a bit of snorkeling and/or beach time afterwards.

Went to private Maya Chan beach $60 pp, and had a fabulous time. Wonderful food, decent beach even though there was a fair amount of seagrass. This would not be good for snorkeling, as water was murky, but servers regularly brought drinks out to those in anchored water chairs. We enjoyed the shade, and the drinks were fantastic. Service was top notch.

There was the "ten, ten, ten" call from almost everyone during the last two days. Butler, room attendant, gal at OV cafe, Luminae waitstaff, Luminae Somm. We had one of our best cruises ever, so tens were plentiful, but don't appreciate the pressure.

Thanks again, Cruise critic

Scanditaly

The magnetic hooks are also useful to put on the ceiling which gives you an inverted hook to temporary hang something light on it.

Now that you mention this, I recall that the magnet bases come with two types of hooks. One is more curved for suspended hanging, and the other is more "ell" shaped for side-wall hanging.

Oh, and our towels were ratty and thin and the hem was separating in some places. We had a conversation with our room steward, and were told that there were no better ones available. It really did not matter to us, as the towels did their job, and dried us off, but because I'd read so much about it here on CC, i thought I'd bring it up.

There was the "ten, ten, ten" call from almost everyone during the last two days. Butler, room attendant, gal at OV cafe, Luminae waitstaff, Luminae Somm. We had one of our best cruises ever, so tens were plentiful, but don't appreciate the pressure.

Thanks again, Cruise critic

Scanditaly

Are you saying that the staff was actually pushing for tips?

Tens on follow up survey is what I’m assuming since that is standard with RCI staff as well as Celebrity staff.

Until you mentioned the tens, I didn’t realize that no one on either of our last Princess or HAL cruises asked for tens. Very much appreciated the staff efforts on both cruise lines and, yes, gave tens to all.

Judy

The RCI after cruise survey specifically asks questions about any staff mentioning, let alone pushing, for high ratings. So RCI does not condone this at all. This has been the case for about a year, I think. We were on Silly in Dec., our first X cruise and experienced none of that. Also our towels were nice and big and fluffy. And we were just in a concierge class cabin. So impressed we now have 4 more X cruises booked.

Thank you to those above who commented. I do appreciate the feedback, but I am really thankful for all the wonderful information I have gleaned from this forum over the years.

Thanks for your review. We board her in June, so your impressions are very helpful:). Threadbare towels in a suite? I hope X is replacing towels ASAP. Did you enjoy the food in Luminae and OVC?

Stateroom attendant spoke to us about the towel shortage being commonplace on the ship as a way to save money, but he was rather specific that he believed that it is a ship issue, not a fleet issue. We very much enjoyed the food in Luminae, and will remind ourselves to be vigilant in the future about perusing the daily menu to be certain that our favorite choices will be served. I had a standing order of the kale salad which "saved" me on occasion, along with the knowledge that a steak or salmon was always available. I suppose it is the service and ease in Luminae that really suits me; I prefer a small, quiet setting.

The OVC experience was only once for lunch after returning late from a shore excursion, however, my DD and her friend made a point to eat there for every meal. They were in a regular veranda cabin, and our time together was spend during the day, instead of the evening dinner time. This was a first for us, and we were all happy with our choices.

Are you saying that the staff was actually pushing for tips?

Just to clarify, they were extremely vocal about getting "tens" which is the best rating on the follow-up survey. No one mentioned money or gratuities, and when I handed out the envelopes with the extra gratuity, the recipients were very gracious and happy.

Thanks for your review. I think I would have pushed the towel issue a bit higher up the food chain. That's unacceptable when you're paying that kind of money for a suite.

Interesting that you mentioned staff asking for 10s on the review. I haven't had that unpleasant experience for a few years now. My reaction in previous years was that anyone who asked for a 10 was not going to get it. I reserve the right to decide how I rate the service. Basically, I find the current post-cruise questionnaire pretty useless and prefer to reward excellent service by a note to the hotel director while on the cruise and an extra tip.

Thanks for your review. I think I would have pushed the towel issue a bit higher up the food chain. That's unacceptable when you're paying that kind of money for a suite.

Interesting that you mentioned staff asking for 10s on the review. I haven't had that unpleasant experience for a few years now. My reaction in previous years was that anyone who asked for a 10 was not going to get it. I reserve the right to decide how I rate the service. Basically, I find the current post-cruise questionnaire pretty useless and prefer to reward excellent service by a note to the hotel director while on the cruise and an extra tip.

Yeah, in retrospect, I wish I would have spoken up...........I usually do. We are on the same page, HappyCruiser.

Scanditaly