Mediterranean cruises for Aussies?

Mr I don’t do cruise ships is back and is looking for a family adventure (William & I go as well) for September 2019 school holidays.

He loves Barcelona. The type of holiday he is interested in is 1/2 cruise & half land based.

The Travel agent recommended MSC cruises as they are flexible.

Has anyone done a Mediterranean cruise like this?

Mr I don’t do cruise ships is back and is looking for a family adventure (William & I go as well) for September 2019 school holidays.

He loves Barcelona. The type of holiday he is interested in is 1/2 cruise & half land based.

The Travel agent recommended MSC cruises as they are flexible.

Has anyone done a Mediterranean cruise like this?

If you are going to go on a large cruise ship in the Mediterranean, then it might be more fun to try a line like MSC that has a more European style

I’ve done several Mediterranean cruises, doing land stays before or after the cruise.

You should check how long the ship is in each port because from my observations a couple of years ago Costa and MSC spent less time in the ports than the ships I was on. An example was at Santorini - I was there from 7.30am to 5pm while Costa was there from 8am to about 1 pm.

Yes, and lots of MSC cruises go through Barcelona.

MSC is quite different to most mainstream cruiselines. It has a very European/Italian feel. The food was wonderful, except for the day the majority of passengers got back from an excursion at the same time in Bari. Buffet ran out of food. Ships are beautiful, organisation can go from streamlined to chaotic, just pick the ship or the day, announcements were made in four languages. I can never see Bingo the same way again. We were in school holidays and lots of family groups with Nonnas to mind the little ones, do NOT get in their way especially in the pool area.

It was an experience, price was great, staff good, just be relaxed and go with the flow. It was different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We do these type of holidays often, we tour and then cruise.

Every cruise line goes out of Barca, so no problem for cruises. as for land tours, which area does he want to visit. Many can be taken to finish at a particular port and then they can cruise,

This year out of Barcelona you have NCL Norwegian Epic( which also has great deals including beverage packages and credit), Royal Caribbean’s Symphony of the Seas which is their newest Oasis class ship and also Carnival Horizon which is Carnival’s brand new flag ship which sails from April.

Just my personal opinion but there is no reason to take an MSC/Costa cruise when Barcelona is spoilt with three of the most incredible ships from the best cruise lines in the entire world! I just think it’s a waste to be able to experience these ships and choosing MSC/Costa which offer ships similar to what is already here in OZ Yes, those cruise lines are more “European” but you can experience that on land anyway!

This year out of Barcelona you have NCL Norwegian Epic( which also has great deals including beverage packages and credit), Royal Caribbean’s Symphony of the Seas which is their newest Oasis class ship and also Carnival Horizon which is Carnival’s brand new flag ship which sails from April.

Just my personal opinion but there is no reason to take an MSC/Costa cruise when Barcelona is spoilt with three of the most incredible ships from the best cruise lines in the entire world! I just think it’s a waste to be able to experience these ships and choosing MSC/Costa which offer ships similar to what is already here in OZ ��Yes, those cruise lines are more “European” but you can experience that on land anyway!

The problem i found was that if the cruise line doesn't have your language as the main language it is a real hassle. For example the talk before the shows in the theatres where the entertainment manager speaks was done in about 5 languages. On other lines it is only done in English.

We have travelled with Celebrity and HAL and we really enjoyed our cruises. Most of the announcements are in English which really suited us. Also all of the staff we had contact with spoke perfect english. It made for a much easier cruise for us.

Edited by GCHAN

MSC is quite different to most mainstream cruiselines. It has a very European/Italian feel. The food was wonderful, except for the day the majority of passengers got back from an excursion at the same time in Bari. Buffet ran out of food. Ships are beautiful, organisation can go from streamlined to chaotic, just pick the ship or the day, announcements were made in four languages. I can never see Bingo the same way again. We were in school holidays and lots of family groups with Nonnas to mind the little ones, do NOT get in their way especially in the pool area.

It was an experience, price was great, staff good, just be relaxed and go with the flow. It was different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And don't forget,the Italians are world renowned for their patience and queing politely single file,LOL.

The problem i found was that if the cruise line doesn't have your language as the main language it is a real hassle. For example the talk before the shows in the theatres where the entertainment manager speaks was done in about 5 languages. On other lines it is only done in English.

We have travelled with Celebrity and HAL and we really enjoyed our cruises. Most of the announcements are in English which really suited us. Also all of the staff we had contact with spoke perfect english. It made for a much easier cruise for us.

While you would probably get a laugh out of that the first time, I imagine it could become frustrating after a week! ;p

I’m sure MSC/Costa are great cruise lines, I just think are better suited ones like you have also pointed out :) If I had an Italian background and could speak Italian I would be more inclined to take either of them.

RCL, NCL, Celebrity and HAL are such trusted and solid cruise lines as well!

We’ve cruised on Equinox (Celebrity) and Liberty of the Seas (RCL) out of Barca and had fabulous cruises. Was talking to another Aussie on an MSC cruise on the way down the steps in Santorini. She said the ship was fine, and because it was Italian based the advantage was that she didn’t hear many Americans whinging about - nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with what cruisin-m said regarding cruise lines. I would also recommend looking at the major cities and making a list of what you want to do there. Then you can decide if you have enough time during a port stay (usually one day) to do what's important to you. In my opinion, you'll need more than one day in Rome, and Rome is at least an hour drive from the port. So maybe you'd want to do 3-4 days in Rome pre or post cruise. The port in Barcelona is near the major sites so it's not a problem to get to the major sites.

We have done the Med twice, once from Venice on Ruby Princess then continued on to Fort Lauderdale, great. The other Med cruise was on P&O UK's Arcadia, ex Southampton, great. Both very port intensive, tiring at times, even though it was in September. Mid northern summer - June-July-August would be really tiring.

As for MSC, not been on them, but they appear ok, big ships and mostly Europeans as pax. Plenty spaget anyway. Best way to see Europe is on a coach holiday, we did a 4 week Trafalgar coach tour of Europe, ex London, did not miss much. You are very limited what you can see from the Ports. You need a week in Rome, so much to see.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for the information.

I will have a look at the other cruiselines as well.

The Mediterranean just seems like a great place to cruise.

We took my blond haired blue eyed little boy to Italy when he was a toddler. The Italians just loved him.

A couple of thoughts.....its takes a bit of planning to get it all to gel, but...

look at doing back to back cruises that begin and finish at the same port.

eg...Return flight to Barcelona with perhaps a pre cruise stay there , then a Western Med cruise followed by an Eastern Med cruise using Barcelona as your hub.

We’ve cruised on Equinox (Celebrity) and Liberty of the Seas (RCL) out of Barca and had fabulous cruises. Was talking to another Aussie on an MSC cruise on the way down the steps in Santorini. She said the ship was fine, and because it was Italian based the advantage was that she didn’t hear many Americans whinging about - nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly right.

And the language on Celebrity, HAL, etc isn’t English, it’s American.:D

A couple of thoughts.....its takes a bit of planning to get it all to gel, but...

look at doing back to back cruises that begin and finish at the same port.

eg...Return flight to Barcelona with perhaps a pre cruise stay there , then a Western Med cruise followed by an Eastern Med cruise using Barcelona as your hub.

That’s exactly the type of thing dad wants to do. He really wants to get to Valencia.

If you have the budget go on one of the lines with smaller ships. This gives you the chance to feel closer to the water and allows the ship to keep closer to the shore when sailing along the coastline. On some of them you can even swim or do watersports from the stern.

We have done 3 med cruises. Celebrity solstice barcelona to barcelona, Legend of the seas venice to venice and MSC Fantasia genoa to rome. The MSC was our least favourite, not due to the ship, staff or food/entertainment but due to the manners or lack of manners of the passengers. I have posted more on our cruise somewhere here since we got home last November but I can't find where to search for it. I know you are better on the computer than me so you might find it. I recall cruising with you and William a few years back on the Rhapsody to Singapore. Glad Mr I don't do cruises is still cruising!!!

Found my post - it was in response to someone asking about various med cruise ships

We did a 10 night cruise from Genoa to Rome last September. The ship was lovely, food plentiful and good, entertainment excellent, rooms spacious we had a balcony for 3 and it was plenty big enough for us.

The downside was the passengers, lots of pushing, shoving, yelling, and kids running around at all hours of the day/night.. Several times were woken early hours of the morning 1 -2 am by kids and adults very noisily going back to their rooms.

Lots of extended family groups which resulted in the buffet area being used for family meals. Kids on tables unsupervised and adults on other tables.

Don't know if I would go again with MSC, perhaps if it was an essential itinerary I might be tempted but it would have to be at a ridiculously good price. The fact everything was spoken in several languages was not an issue with us guess we tended to just tune out.

I haven't been on Holland America but from those you listed I think Carnival would be the closest. Any cruise is better than no cruise but just be aware that manners vary from country to country and family to family. We had lots of Italians, Spanish, French and German, the balance taken up of many different nationalities.

We did two back to back Med cruises on MSC about 15 years ago and I must say I look back fondly and still think it was the best holiday ever but that may be because it was my first ever cruise! Have done many cruises since but none has compared. Yes all the announcements were in about 10 different languages, and the Italians were rude and pushy. By the second 7 day cruise it did start to wear thin and I started pushing back 😂. I thought the food was the best I have ever had on a cruise, the entertainment was great (despite 10 languages) and I would do it all again. I loved that they did the formal nights really well and the traditional flaming Alaska? Parade was amazing. Having said all that, it was a long time ago and I don’t know what it is like now. Yes, lots of kiids as it is no cost for kids but try to avoid Italian school holidays. If you are a relaxed traveller i think you would enjoy it, if you are hard to please maybe go for Princess or Holland America.

We did a 21 night Grand Mediterranean cruise on Royal Princess last year, Barcelona to Barcelona. It was excellent.

It was also sold as two shorter cruises: 11 nights Barcelona to Civitavecchia and 10 nights Civitavecchia to Barcelona. There were only two ports that were doubled up - Naples and Kotor, and the second visit to Kotor replaced Istanbul when Princess pulled out of going there.