No more WOW on Oasis

I should also add that while the ship appeared clean to me, I admit I'm probably not the best person to ask about the condition of the carpet. Unless it's really bad, that's not something I usually notice. But given the age of the ship, it wouldn't surprise me if it was worn.

Unless the carpet is a tripping hazard, I to would unlikely notice it to much. I try and keep my head up when I walk.

I'll try and pay attention on Allure next week

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We were on the 2/4 Oasis cruise. The only wear that was obvious to us was rust on our balcony and some repair needed to the folding ramp to the balcony (we now need accessible cabins). I asked Patricio, our cabin steward, how many cabins he had - he said 15 including some suites, which he said take more time; but he was always attentive to our needs. He even made us towel animals on five out of seven nights. Part of his willingness may have been due to the fact that it was his last cruise before vacation, but I think he's hard working and cheerful all the time. He learned that my husband liked to come back to the cabin after breakfast and watch the world from our balcony, so he made it a point to make up our room first, including bringing us ice.

We had MTD at 5:00, which on our earlier Oasis cruise had meant a nearly empty dining room and an efficient but relaxed staff. On this cruise when we showed up about 4:50 on Sunday night, the line wound around way past the elevators. We figured everyone was eating early to see the Super Bowl, but at 5:00 the MTD dining room was jammed every night. We had been talking with two women who were in line behind us, and the person at the desk asked if we would take a table for four together. We did and enjoyed their company and a very proficient waiter and assistant waiter all week.

We didn't like the changes in the menu - fewer choices than we were used to, in starters, entrees, and desserts. Also my husband missed the cold fruit soups - only had that once at noon on a sea day. I was happy to see the Vidalia onion tart back, but that didn't make up for the nights when none of us found anything we really wanted. We started checking the menu on line ahead of time, and one night all four of us went to the WJ. I did call MTD mid-afternoon so they could use our table without waiting.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and are happy that we have three more booked on Oasis this year, so I guess it's the luck of the draw whether things go smoothly. Fortunately for us, every one of our 35 RCI cruises has been good. We have had two disappointing cruises, one on Carnival and one of MSC, so now we're pretty much loyal to Royal. I'd love to try Celebrity, but since we've retired to Ocala, which is about half way between Port Canaveral and Tampa, it's hard to think of driving to Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

Right now we're excited about an upcoming B2B2B on Brilliance beginning on 3/17. It's very different from Oasis, but there's something very special about Radiance class ships and we enjoy both experiences.

Happy cruising, everyone!

Margy

Margy thank you for your response here....we also were on her the first week of November and didn't see anything wrong and nothing went wrong either. All the staff were so friendly, kind and helpful in fact we made "friends" with many of the workers, so much that we will be going back to see them next month and in October. Enjoy your B2B because it will be wonderful.

RC is NOT NOT NOT Carnival....I been on 74 cruises so far and most of them been on Carnival and to be honest, Carnival is even worse than RC in so many ways, so much that when we were on the Harmony in May we decided there is no way we can go back to Carnival, you can't compare Carnival ships to RC ships at all. So I TOTALLY DISAGREE with what was said here by Rance.

Margy thank you for your response here....we also were on her the first week of November and didn't see anything wrong and nothing went wrong either. All the staff were so friendly, kind and helpful in fact we made "friends" with many of the workers, so much that we will be going back to see them next month and in October. Enjoy your B2B because it will be wonderful.

RC is NOT NOT NOT Carnival....I been on 74 cruises so far and most of them been on Carnival and to be honest, Carnival is even worse than RC in so many ways, so much that when we were on the Harmony in May we decided there is no way we can go back to Carnival, you can't compare Carnival ships to RC ships at all. So I TOTALLY DISAGREE with what was said here by Rance.

What do you feel makes RC ships overwhelmingly better than Carnival ships? And let's not compare ships that are 20 years old. 2010 and newer. I've read lots of reviews and the consensus seems to be more similarities than differences. Carnival seems to win when it comes to food, especially during "non traditional" dining hours. One thing I hate about Oasis class ships is that the quick service restaurants are garbage food. Low quality burgers, pizza, fries etc.

CruisingNole that is a very easy question:

Carnival buffets are really totally lacking, the older ships they are even horrible, their salad bar has gotten smaller which is fine but always soggy tomatoes, not alot of choices of items alot more limited than what RC offers. Breakfast buffets nice carving ham on RC where you get the pre sliced ham on carnival. Entertainment on Carnival is as cheap as it can get there are no real shows and definitely no "broadway type shows" and where else on any other cruise line can you see an ice show? You can't get ice skating, rock climbing, flow rider, zip lining and such on any of the Carnival ships. On Carnival the only thing to eat past 10:30pm is pizza that is it, where you have choices of items to eat in RC Cafe Promenade plus they have Sorrento's. Carnivals drink package limits you to 15 drinks per day, granted I never got to 15 but if you are a beer drinker and I seen many beer drinkers drink 15 beers in just a few hours. Most of the drinks such as a jack and coke, blue goose and tonic are served in these very small glasses and Carnival tries to upgrade your drink for an extra $3. to a larger glass, what a rip off. I don't swim in pools on ships but the pools on Carnival are very tiny and salt water.

I do not eat in the MDR on any cruise line, I only go to the specialty restaurants, granted are still not excellent but sure beat what you get in the MDR. We also love Central Park and Broadway and such and gives us an abundant of different atmosphere.

Lets not mention Carnival ships are not as stable in bad weather as RC ships. Lets face it, Carnival is alot cheaper for a reason, you get what you pay for.

CruisingNole that is a very easy question:

Carnivals drink package limits you to 15 drinks per day, granted I never got to 15 but if you are a beer drinker and I seen many beer drinkers drink 15 beers in just a few hours.

I really started to believe your review. I wanted to believe your review. But come on. 15 beers in a FEW HOURS? Are you kidding me? That's a 2-3 hour straight chugging session. I didn't even drink that much in college. A lot of people would pass out and possibly even have alcohol poisoning after drinking 15 beers in 2 hours.

This is a joke...right?

What do you feel makes RC ships overwhelmingly better than Carnival ships? And let's not compare ships that are 20 years old. 2010 and newer..

Though I wasn’t the person who was asked, I’ll answer. Carnival has yet to float a ship that is on par with Oasis or her sisters and as others have noted Oasis is close to a decade old. Vista kinda comes close to the Voyager Class, not even measuring up to the freedom class. I’m taking the ships’ size, style, things to do, including eat.

Now I’ll be the first to agree that Carnival is doing a much better job on the “Free Lunch” front, but as we’re usually in port for 1/2 the lunch times, I don’t see that as a game changer and branding a specific section of an area that just used to be a run-of the-mill buffet area does not make the Ship itself better in my mind.

We’re clearly in the minority on this thread on the show front. We see the Broadway level shows as a plus Vs the playlist productions offered by Carnival. People pay as much to see these shows on land as we pay for a day or more of cruising.

But I do take issue with folks who say the cost of cruising has gone down or stayed the same Vs cost of inflation. That has not been our experience: we usually pay a little more for each successive cruise, and the experience is always a little bit less. And when you look at the big costs the cruise lines have: Notes on the boat (per berth), fuel, international labor - it all been static or better. Yes the cost of food has gone up, but they continually dumb down the free food and charge more for the options. And a beer on land costs the same as it cost 10 years ago, doesn’t stop any of the cruise lines from charging a helluva lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Apparently the proper responses to an OP like this are:

"Oh my, that's awful...I feel so bad for you. It sounds like you should get a refund."

or

"You're right, my experience was also awful. Let me validate you"

but

"Interesting, I've sailed the same ship and didn't think it was as bad as you."

is a hate-engendering reply.

Touchy.

What I find annoying in a lot of threads that report less than a stellar experience are the answers that say "but we had a great time, food was always wonderful, cabin was kept spotless, everyone was smiling". The subtext is that the OP must be wrong or making things up.

Hi, I was on this same cruise and loved it! It was my favorite cruise, although I think after every cruise it was my best cruise. The ship is phenomenal and service is top notch. The food in the specialty restaurants was delicious; but so was the food in the main dining room. How could someone not be over the top happy on a cruise? Is it me? Something wrong with me?

This is what really puzzles me, why do we not see more threads with OP that say this? Why do these responses appear vastly more often in response to someone reporting a less than perfect experience?

I really started to believe your review. I wanted to believe your review. But come on. 15 beers in a FEW HOURS? Are you kidding me? That's a 2-3 hour straight chugging session. I didn't even drink that much in college. A lot of people would pass out and possibly even have alcohol poisoning after drinking 15 beers in 2 hours.

This is a joke...right?

I no longer drink in the fashion that I once did, but 15 beers over a few hours isn't unthinkable for a big drinker. Especially, when you are young and drink cheap, crappy beer. A few of us would split a couple of cases of beer in no time.

I have become a consumer of MUCH MUCH better beer these days and there is no way I could drink 15 of those in a full day, much less 3 hours.

That said, I know someone that almost exclusively drinks Miller High Life LITE (honestly, I didn't even know they made a worse Miller than Miller Lite, but they do!!!) and he can easily pound a 12 pack in no time at all. It's beer-tinted water.

I no longer drink in the fashion that I once did, but 15 beers over a few hours isn't unthinkable for a big drinker. Especially, when you are young and drink cheap, crappy beer. A few of us would split a couple of cases of beer in no time.

I have become a consumer of MUCH MUCH better beer these days and there is no way I could drink 15 of those in a full day, much less 3 hours.

That said, I know someone that almost exclusively drinks Miller High Life LITE (honestly, I didn't even know they made a worse Miller than Miller Lite, but they do!!!) and he can easily pound a 12 pack in no time at all. It's beer-tinted water.

Milwaukee Best is by far much worse than even Miller and Miller Lite. [emoji33]

This is a joke...right?

Perhaps he's talking Utah beer?

You say 15 beers in 2 hours isn't unfathomable. OK...so is that like a 15 and you're done for the day? Or another 15 the next 2 hours? And so on?

I drink a fair amount and have never seen anyone drink 15 beers in 2 hours unless they are intentionally chugging them. A normal human does not consume close to 200 oz of ANY fluids in 2 hours without making a conscious effort to do so. And if that's what you're trying to do, you're either a frat boy trying to prove something or you're an alcoholic on the brink of drinking yourself to death.

But if that's your prerogative, I agree, the Royal drink package will surely meet your needs over Carnival. And I really hope you're never on a cruise with me. [emoji849]

FWIW:

I never said those beers were served on the ship.

I never said it was unintentional or accidental drinking.

I never said anything about how drinking 15 beers in 3 hours justifies the drink package.

I said clearly that I do not drink that much at this stage in my life.

I told you about someone I know that drinks a lot of very crappy beer.

All I was saying was that 15 beers in 3 hours can be done. Simple as that. It can be done. I have done it. I have seen it done. It is possible and not in a theoretical sense.

That's all. I said nothing more. Stop building a backstory to some nonexistent argument in your head.

ETA: I didn't answer your question, but that would not necessarily end your day. You certainly couldn't keep up that pace and stay upright, but I don't think that's 100% guaranteed the end of your day. Although, whether anyone would want to spend the rest of the day with you is the real question.

Oasis of Seas

My DW and I just returned home from our Feb 25 th cruise on the Oasis. I have read all the reviews so far, and will leave it at each of us has their own view. For us our cruise was very good and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will admit there is a spruce up need in different areas , The food is definitely lacking , in most areas from MDR and all other venues that we tried. Our room service Pio did an excellent job . In the MDR Grande our servers RYAN and FOCUS were the best. We totally enjoyed the ship and all RCI has offered for our cruise. Our only problem is it went a way to fast. Will we go again ? Probably when it is relocated in MIAMI. And the ship was totally sold out. That says all to me. ENJOY YOUR CRUISES.:D

kruise runner

Just off oasis today....compared to our last Oasis cruise 4 years ago ( have been on freedom, celebrity summit and allure since) the Oasis has gone down hill in a bad way.

The ship seemed very dirty. Carpets are in really bad shape, our room was dirty (pudding hardened on back of curtains, dirty balcony table and toe nail clippings to top it off).

My time dining did not work. Showed up at 530 first 2 nights and was told we couldn't be seated till 7 as a big party has booked early reservations. We had to go to solarium bistro amd savor to make shows...both were bad imo.

Desserts were very low quality and windjammer was boring and repetitive.

Steak in the dining room was very low quality.

Service was very Impersonal ...never did meet cabin stewart...probably because he had 30 rooms.

Bartenders were not overly friendly and the crew generally seemed overworled and not happy. ...can't say I blame them with their huge workload.

Imo royal has to abandon the Broadway show idea (and the millions that go with it) and put that money back into the food budget. Andrew loyd Weber doesnt need the money and over half the audience left cats at intermission.

A good headliner and a couple of comedians is all I need.

Sorry for the rant but very disappointed in the way Rc is heading.

I agree with you. We sailed on Oasis several years ago and were just on a B2B about a month ago and there was a noticeable decline.

Touchy.

What I find annoying in a lot of threads that report less than a stellar experience are the answers that say "but we had a great time, food was always wonderful, cabin was kept spotless, everyone was smiling". The subtext is that the OP must be wrong or making things up.

This is what really puzzles me, why do we not see more threads with OP that say this? Why do these responses appear vastly more often in response to someone reporting a less than perfect experience?

Well said Broberts! This is called cruise critic. Everyone shares THEIR experience.

Some people seem to take it personally when someone says the quality has deteriorated.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Forums mobile app

Well said Broberts! This is called cruise critic. Everyone shares THEIR experience.

Some people seem to take it personally when someone says the quality has deteriorated.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Forums mobile app

You, on the other hand seem to take exception when folks enjoyed their experience.

You, on the other hand seem to take exception when folks enjoyed their experience.

Not at all. I have had many great cruises on RC, just noticed the last one the quality has slipped in the main dining room and WJ, which seems to have a struck a nerve with you for some reason.

Now that we are on the topic, what I do take exception to is someone who gets defensive about my review of the dining room and WJ, then later says .... by the way I don't eat at either.

Kinda of lost your credibility with that one. If the quality and service is so great, why are you paying for speciality restaurants?

If I had to wager you aren't eating a lot of your meals at the Wipeout cafe before watching cats for the 6th time.

Not at all. I have had many great cruises on RC, just noticed the last one the quality has slipped in the main dining room and WJ, which seems to have a struck a nerve with you for some reason.

Now that we are on the topic, what I do take exception to is someone who gets defensive about my review of the dining room and WJ, then later says .... by the way I don't eat at either.

Kinda of lost your credibility with that one. If the quality and service is so great, why are you paying for speciality restaurants?

If I had to wager you aren't eating a lot of your meals at the Wipeout cafe before watching cats for the 6th time.

I think Mama Mia is up next

Please point out where I got defensive of your unhappiness with the food.

I don't eat at specialty more than once a cruise. We take the majority of our meals in CK.

Please point out where I got defensive of your unhappiness with the food.

I don't eat at specialty more than once a cruise. We take the majority of our meals in CK.

We think the CK experience is well above that of the MDR. Just overall, the service, the view, the drinks, and of course the view.