New Wifi system on Oceania

captjohn

Paul (and others). If Regent could just spent money and make the problem go away, it would be great. But, IF people doing work from the ship slows down the connectivity, my first instinct would be to charge this group.

I know that this isn’t what working people want to hear but — just for a second, try looking at it another way. During most of my travels I kept in touch with work - usually via fax that I would find in local shops around the world. I kept receipts and got reimbursed. So, IF (making more assumptions), Regent was able to provide the level of internet service that posters seem to be looking for at a price (that is reimbursable for people using the system for their jobs) AND, as a result of the change, the rest of the passengers could receive decent speeds, wouldn’t that be fair?

I’m also still anxious to know if other luxury cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal) have he type of internet that everyone is looking for.

I am glad that you put “IF” in capitals as I have seen no evidence that it is those keeping in touch with their work that causes the poor internet service so often encountered on board ships in the Regent fleet.

I very much doubt that many, if any, of those using the internet for work would be “streaming”. I suspect that it would generally be emails, messaging and occasional download of scanned documents. i.e. not particularly data heavy.

I am glad that you put “IF” in capitals as I have seen no evidence that it is those keeping in touch with their work that causes the poor internet service so often encountered on board ships in the Regent fleet.

I very much doubt that many, if any, of those using the internet for work would be “streaming”. I suspect that it would generally be emails, messaging and occasional download of scanned documents. i.e. not particularly data heavy.

Downloads in particular are an issue for people working onboard. I have observed lots of downloading on every cruise that we have been on. And, after a humungous document is downloaded, they print 100+ plus pages on the printer which blocks the use from other passengers.

The "IF" had to do with people that are working purchasing a faster internet speed. IF they purchased and used it, would it then enable the rest of the passengers to send emails, search the web, post on CC, etc. at a better speed?

There really should be no complaints if passengers could use the "free" internet if the speed were better. And, there would really be no expense for those paying $xx.xx for work purposes since they can be reimbursed.

It seems that posters want to be able to stream Netflix, football games, etc. The question is still out there. Can you get fast internet on any other luxury line that includes streaming, and anything else that passengers seem to want to do onboard? If one of the other luxury lines has included internet for all passengers (with more than one log-in allowed per passenger for at least 60% of the passengers since at least that number of passengers on Regent get more than one log-in due to their Seven Seas Society status) we would have a better basis for comparison.

P.S. Celebrity is not really good example as they are part of what may be the largest cruise line in the world - the most ships, etc. (Not sure if Carnival is bigger but they own Seabourn and we haven't heard how their internet is). The more ships you have - the better deal you can likely get in terms of internet at sea.

Downloads in particular are an issue for people working onboard. I have observed lots of downloading on every cruise that we have been on. And, after a humungous document is downloaded, they print 100+ plus pages on the printer which blocks the use from other passengers.

The "IF" had to do with people that are working purchasing a faster internet speed. IF they purchased and used it, would it then enable the rest of the passengers to send emails, search the web, post on CC, etc. at a better speed?

There really should be no complaints if passengers could use the "free" internet if the speed were better. And, there would really be no expense for those paying $xx.xx for work purposes since they can be reimbursed.

It seems that posters want to be able to stream Netflix, football games, etc. The question is still out there. Can you get fast internet on any other luxury line that includes streaming, and anything else that passengers seem to want to do onboard? If one of the other luxury lines has included internet for all passengers (with more than one log-in allowed per passenger for at least 60% of the passengers since at least that number of passengers on Regent get more than one log-in due to their Seven Seas Society status) we would have a better basis for comparison.

P.S. Celebrity is not really good example as they are part of what may be the largest cruise line in the world - the most ships, etc. (Not sure if Carnival is bigger but they own Seabourn and we haven't heard how their internet is). The more ships you have - the better deal you can likely get in terms of internet at sea.

On a recent Silversea cruise to the Galapagos, internet was included and surprisingly very good. I was able to stream Netflix while working out in the gym (didn’t try ‘streaming’ anywhere else. There was a router in our closet (very front of the ship) not sure if that improved our performance?

On my recent Seabourn cruise, internet was virtually impossible to use. We resorted to ATT Global $10 per day data plan as it was a port intensive cruise.

Hey Jackie!

As Flossie said, my biggest issue would be having to pay for streaming internet just to receive faster download speeds for email and docs and to upload pics. But others on this post have said that the extra streaming fee doesn’t get you faster internet, but only gives you access to blocked streaming sites. So...since you’re paying a not insubstantial surcharge, and probably not streaming Netflix for hours on end, is everything working better? If it is, then you’re paying an upcharge to compensate for a broken system, and a broken WiFi promise. Shouldn’t we expect more from Regent?

ps. Celebrity is indeed part of Royal Caribbean, but Regent is part of Norwegian. I haven’t counted which has more ships, but they’re both huge mass market cruise lines. Norwegian should certainly be able to match whatever satellite deals Royal Caribbean has! No?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I found this article from 2016 https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7004.

Not sure if Norwegian ever rolled out the high-speed Internet but it has been officially announced that Oceania is going to have it fleet-wide by April (next month). So the big question is when is Regent going to get it? I asked someone at Regent and he thought it would be "soon" but had no other information.

I also found this article. Some of the other cruise lines, like Celebrity and Carnival already have high-speed Internet available.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45

I found this article from 2016 https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7004.

Not sure if Norwegian ever rolled out the high-speed Internet but it has been officially announced that Oceania is going to have it fleet-wide by April (next month). So the big question is when is Regent going to get it? I asked someone at Regent and he thought it would be "soon" but had no other information.

I also found this article. Some of the other cruise lines, like Celebrity and Carnival already have high-speed Internet available.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45

Thanks Carol! So interesting. Though they’re all part of Norwegian, I’m sure each individual line has both the latitude and the budget to make decisions regarding various upgrades to their ships. Perhaps the decision to install new internet technology was made by Oceania management.

I don’t subscribe to the theory that Norwegian would be using Oceania as a “test case” for this kind of thing. I don’t think Oceania would rewire their fleet and install all the new equipment unless they were 100% convinced of its effectiveness.

I just wish Regent would tell us what’s going on, because it will indeed be one of the factors affecting whether or not I sail with them again.

I agee. The number of people using the internet for work is likely to be small and there is no reason to assume they are using any more data than someone trying to keep up with the daily news, family or friends, and email online.

I don't understand blaming Regent's internet problems on people who do some work while onboard. How do you observe lots of downloading on every cruise unless you mean you see lots of people on devices or on computers? As for printing a 100 page document, that isn't evidence that the document was downloaded onboard. And even if it was, a 100 page document is not likely to be a "humongous" file. I just read a draft of a 300 page book and the file size was less than 300 KB.

And if you wish to blame Regent guests rather than Regent management, why not blame CC posters instead? After all some post lots of pictures (which can be much larger files than a 100 page PDF) and some may make lots of posts. I say this facetiously because there seems to be a determination to take the focus off of Regent's management and search for some group of guests who can be blamed for management's failure to live up to its claims.

As for other cruise lines, that topic too is a distraction as they are not promising Regent guests unlimited wifi, nor are they the ones responsible for disclosing the limitations of Regent's internet access. Regent has made certain claims about its internet service, it has not kept those promises. With the addition of charges for "streaming" we have now reached some even more ambiguous situation regarding internet connectivity onboard with Regent's "free unlimited internet."

I don't believe in blaming guests for management's communications failures. Rather truthfulness and transparency from Regent is what is needed. It is a very simple matter for management to clarify the many questions and issues raised on this thread whether they choose to do it on CC or on the Regent website.

"I don't understand blaming Regent's internet problems on people who do some work while onboard. How do you observe lots of downloading on every cruise unless you mean you see lots of people on devices or on computers? As for printing a 100 page document, that isn't evidence that the document was downloaded onboard. And even if it was, a 100 page document is not likely to be a "humongous" file. I just read a draft of a 300 page book and the file size was less than 300 KB.

And if you wish to blame Regent guests rather than Regent management, why not blame CC posters instead? After all some post lots of pictures (which can be much larger files than a 100 page PDF) and some may make lots of posts. I say this facetiously because there seems to be a determination to take the focus off of Regent's management and search for some group of guests who can be blamed for management's failure to live up to its claims.

As for other cruise lines, that topic too is a distraction as they are not promising Regent guests unlimited wifi, nor are they the ones responsible for disclosing the limitations of Regent's internet access. Regent has made certain claims about its internet service, it has not kept those promises. With the addition of charges for "streaming" we have now reached some even more ambiguous situation regarding internet connectivity onboard with Regent's "free unlimited internet."

I don't believe in blaming guests for management's communications failures. Rather truthfulness and transparency from Regent is what is needed. It is a very simple matter for management to clarify the many questions and issues raised on this thread whether they choose to do it on CC or on the Regent website. "

-- 100% agree , I think defending Regent on this subject is beyond UNREASONABLE

I agee. The number of people using the internet for work is likely to be small and there is no reason to assume they are using any more data than someone trying to keep up with the daily news, family or friends, and email online.

I don't understand blaming Regent's internet problems on people who do some work while onboard. How do you observe lots of downloading on every cruise unless you mean you see lots of people on devices or on computers? As for printing a 100 page document, that isn't evidence that the document was downloaded onboard. And even if it was, a 100 page document is not likely to be a "humongous" file. I just read a draft of a 300 page book and the file size was less than 300 KB.

I don't believe in blaming guests for management's communications failures. Rather truthfulness and transparency from Regent is what is needed. It is a very simple matter for management to clarify the many questions and issues raised on this thread whether they choose to do it on CC or on the Regent website.

Agree as well. And I think that an internet upcharge is just plain greedy. It’s common business practice for the mass market cruise lines. It shouldn’t be for Regent.

No one blamed passengers for the problem. I personally blamed Regent for rolling out their latest "high speed internet" at the same time they gave free, unlimited internet when it was not determined if it would do what it was suppose to do (it didn't).

Regent's high speed internet was rolled out before Oceania's and it is likely a different system. So, rather than being behind Oceania, Regent was actually ahead of Oceania in terms of upgrading the internet system-wide.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.

I think all that could possibly be said has been said on this thread. The song from “Frozen” keeps echoing through my head....

Let it go, let it go

Can't hold it back anymore

Let it go, let it go

Still waiting to hear an answer from Regent Corporate????

BTW. It took me 8 minutes to download a 1.4 meg picture ( Easter from my sis.) On Explorer 12:17 am, so can't put blame on "all" the other passengers being online right now.

Happy Easter to all. Chef here did very excellent extensive Easter Sunday Brunch in Compass Rose. I would post pic's but don't have patience for waiting for uploads.

J

Jackie - you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues but any additional charges for internet should be a non-issue. It shouldn't matter whether you want to Skype grandpa back in Pig's Knuckle Arkansas or if you're checking you email - internet is internet and should be available for everyone. I know it's 2018 (or 2020 if you live in drib's world) and solid, if not blazing fast, internet connectivity is pretty much expected these days.

And honestly, most of us who need internet for work are using a mere fraction of the bandwidth that others are using. I mostly check email, check my system status, and do a few quick maintenance actions - I can be online for an hour and use less data than someone who is streaming a YouTube video for 2 minutes. I don't even like the idea of an upcharge for streaming services - it seems petty at the prices Regent charges.

To me, a luxury experience should be a few weeks of relaxation, good food, good wine, and good company. A bit of pampering and greatly reduced frustration levels. And garbage internet, whether for work or play, does NOT reduce frustration; in fact it's quite the opposite. The technology exists, Regent just needs to ante up for it.

Just my opinion, of course. ;)

Jackie - you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues but any additional charges for internet should be a non-issue. It shouldn't matter whether you want to Skype grandpa back in Pig's Knuckle Arkansas or if you're checking you email - internet is internet and should be available for everyone. I know it's 2018 (or 2020 if you live in drib's world) and solid, if not blazing fast, internet connectivity is pretty much expected these days.

And honestly, most of us who need internet for work are using a mere fraction of the bandwidth that others are using. I mostly check email, check my system status, and do a few quick maintenance actions - I can be online for an hour and use less data than someone who is streaming a YouTube video for 2 minutes. I don't even like the idea of an upcharge for streaming services - it seems petty at the prices Regent charges.

To me, a luxury experience should be a few weeks of relaxation, good food, good wine, and good company. A bit of pampering and greatly reduced frustration levels. And garbage internet, whether for work or play, does NOT reduce frustration; in fact it's quite the opposite. The technology exists, Regent just needs to ante up for it.

Just my opinion, of course. ;)

I do understand where you are coming from. My question to Regent is why they would roll out a system that ended up not being what it was suppose to be? While it may not have been Regent’s fault (doubt if they would advertise it to be something that it wasn’t intentionally),

Disagree with flossie’s comment about “most loyal cruisers”. Most loyal cruisers did not have included internet when they started cruising on Regent as that is a fairly new thing. Also, Regent’s long term loyal cruisers are Gold and above in the Seven Seas Society loyalty program and receive more than one log-on.

It seems that Regent could have a dilemma. It is doubtful that their budget has yet another massive upgrade to their internet planned so soon after the last one. Yet, the internet does not meet the requirements of some customers.

IF people can pay extra for a connection that will enable them to do multiple downloads, watch movies or do other types of screening, I don’t see the problem. Do most people want to do streaming and downloads? I have always noticed people in the computer room doing work but obviously do not know what they are doing specifically or if they are responsible for the system being so slow.

There has to be a way for Regent to take the load off of the current system to enable guests to use the internet for things that do not slow it down. Note: I suspect, but do not know for sure, that officers use the internet to do things that slow it down to a crawl about 11:00 p.m. Perhaps they should have their own system?

I do understand where you are coming from. My question to Regent is why they would roll out a system that ended up not being what it was suppose to be? While it may not have been Regent’s fault (doubt if they would advertise it to be something that it wasn’t intentionally),

Disagree with flossie’s comment about “most loyal cruisers”. Most loyal cruisers did not have included internet when they started cruising on Regent as that is a fairly new thing. Also, Regent’s long term loyal cruisers are Gold and above in the Seven Seas Society loyalty program and receive more than one log-on.

It seems that Regent could have a dilemma. It is doubtful that their budget has yet another massive upgrade to their internet planned so soon after the last one. Yet, the internet does not meet the requirements of some customers.

IF people can pay extra for a connection that will enable them to do multiple downloads, watch movies or do other types of screening, I don’t see the problem. Do most people want to do streaming and downloads? I have always noticed people in the computer room doing work but obviously do not know what they are doing specifically or if they are responsible for the system being so slow.

There has to be a way for Regent to take the load off of the current system to enable guests to use the internet for things that do not slow it down. Note: I suspect, but do not know for sure, that officers use the internet to do things that slow it down to a crawl about 11:00 p.m. Perhaps they should have their own system?

Jackie...

I personally don’t think Regent has an ounce of justification to charge for WiFi. Streaming is currently a $25 upcharge on Carnival. Considering that the cost of a cruise on (luxury line) Regent is at least quadruple what Carnival charges, should Regent also subject its passengers to this kind of low end internet nickel and diming? Of course not.

When they do ultimately install better equipment, I’m sure they’ll pass the cost along to passengers anyway in their fares. So even cruisers who aren’t interested in higher internet speeds will wind up shouldering the cost.

I, for one, would gladly give up a few pieces of art on Splendor if they’d take the extra money they saved and put it into decent internet...

When management brags about how much money they’re spending on art throughout the ship but can’t support the “free internet” they’re advertising, well, sounds to me like they might need to revisit their priorities.

Your arguments cannot be faulted, Bill.

Thank you for summarising the feelings of most loyal Regent cruisers so well.

My apologies.

In my previous post “most loyal Regent cruisers” should have read “most Regent cruisers”.

Anyone who books a Regent cruise expects, and should be able to rely on, consistent connectivity and reasonable download/upload speeds.

Advertising “free Wi-Fi” and then expecting guests to pay extra to obtain an acceptable level of service (that is not guaranteed) is the wrong way to achieve customer satisfaction.

Just my humble opinion, of course ................ but based on being on Regent’s newest ship and having the most inconsistent ship’s Wi-Fi of any Regent cruise of recent years.

Jackie...

I personally don’t think Regent has an ounce of justification to charge for WiFi. Streaming is currently a $25 upcharge on Carnival. Considering that the cost of a cruise on (luxury line) Regent is at least quadruple what Carnival charges, should Regent also subject its passengers to this kind of low end internet nickel and diming? Of course not.

When they do ultimately install better equipment, I’m sure they’ll pass the cost along to passengers anyway in their fares. So even cruisers who aren’t interested in higher internet speeds will wind up shouldering the cost.

Paul, your second paragraph kind of made my point which is that we end up paying for it in the end. However, if there is a way to make our current internet satisfactory (without streaming), why not do it? With the exception of the dozen or so people that discuss it on CC, I don't hear a word about it from passengers on the ship (and I've make a point to spend more time in the computer room on this trip).

The included internet for everyone was another take-away from Regent's most loyal cruisers (Gold and above). So, if anyone should complain about the internet being slower with so many people online, it should be us. Some of us just don't want to pay more in our cruise fare for people that need to stream or do things that cause bandwidth issues (after all, this is another benefit that we "earned". We have been on Explorer and it isn't all that bad (except when everyone is online and in certain parts of the world). Voyager's internet has been good most of the time and Mariner is abut the same as the other ships.

This thread has gone on a long time and, interestingly, no one has been able to answer the question as to whether Crystal, Seabourn or Siversea have consistently faster internet than Regent. As usual, Regent was the first of the four major luxury cruise lines to give unlimited internet. Also, interesting is the fact that I do not remember anyone complaining about not have included internet prior to it being rolled out. Apparently Regent gave their customers something that they were not even asking for and then everyone complained - both newbies to Regent and long term loyal customers. Go figure!

We are on the same cruise as Travelcat and the wifi is woeful, including the extra cost wifi. There is definitely a need to upgrade the system to what passengers expect in 2018 and beyond. Times have changed and will continue to change particularly in the area of connectivity at sea.

We are on the same cruise as Travelcat and the wifi is woeful, including the extra cost wifi. There is definitely a need to upgrade the system to what passengers expect in 2018 and beyond. Times have changed and will continue to change particularly in the area of connectivity at sea.

I would agree with you about the wifi in the computer room but in our suite it is fine. Just wanted to mention that location does make a difference.

In terms of what passengers expect........ still waiting to hear how the wifi I on other luxury ships. Since no answers seem to be forthcoming, should we assume that the wifi is no better on other luxury lines?

I would agree with you about the wifi in the computer room but in our suite it is fine. Just wanted to mention that location does make a difference.

In terms of what passengers expect........ still waiting to hear how the wifi I on other luxury ships. Since no answers seem to be forthcoming, should we assume that the wifi is no better on other luxury lines?

See my post #78 above - re Silversea (surprisingly good and no extra charge) and Seabourn (v poor).

See my post #78 above - re Silversea (surprisingly good and no extra charge) and Seabourn (v poor).

Thank you! Sorry that I missed your post. We are currently on the Voyager so I'm not paying as much attention as usual. Good to hear that Silversea's internet is working well. This is so much more important to learn that reading what Carnival, Oceania and other non-luxury lines are doing as it really has nothing to do with luxury cruise lines. Perhaps Regent will look at what system Silversea has and will follow suit.

Well, we have just filled out our end of cruise Comment Cards on Explorer.

Guess what? There is no specific place to provide feedback on Wi-Fi ; only a place to give a rating to the Internet Manager.

This shows how little importance Regent gives to supplying guests with a consistently good internet service and trying to improve on the present situation.

PS: Considering the adverse comments made about those using the internet on board to stay in touch with their work, I find it interesting that the Computer Room on Explorer is called “The Business Center” :rolleyes:

Thank you! Sorry that I missed your post. We are currently on the Voyager so I'm not paying as much attention as usual. Good to hear that Silversea's internet is working well. This is so much more important to learn that reading what Carnival, Oceania and other non-luxury lines are doing as it really has nothing to do with luxury cruise lines. Perhaps Regent will look at what system Silversea has and will follow suit.

As a point of reference, if “non-luxury” lines are capable of providing superior internet, or lower costs for streaming fees, then I believe that sets a benchmark which Regent should certainly exceed, no?

But I certainly agree that we have talked this subject into the ground!