New Wifi system on Oceania

captjohn

Someone I know is on Oceania right now (the Marina) and he said that the new Internet (Wave Net) is fantastic! He said he was told that all Oceania ships will have it by the beginning of April. Wonder why Regent has made no announcement about doing it. My next cruise is on Regent.

Good to hear that the internet is good on Marina but again, what works for Oceania would not necessarily work for Regent (after all, Regent had a huge upgrade two years and it made almost no difference because just about everyone on Regent is on at least one if not more devices at the same time.

Unless/until Oceania's new system is burdened with the number of users that we have on Regent, there are no assurances that it will be better.

Rachel: As you know, we are on Voyager and the connectivity in the computer room is poor (it is better in our suite). Not sure if it where we are in the world or ???

I’m curious, Travelcat2, why what works on Oceania would not work on Regent. Even though Regent had an upgrade two years ago, the system on Oceania may be more technologically advanced. After all, two years in tech time can mean a world of difference.

Perhaps someone at Regent who reads this board and knows the facts can weigh in on this. The rest of our musings are mere speculation.

I’m curious, Travelcat2, why what works on Oceania would not work on Regent. Even though Regent had an upgrade two years ago, the system on Oceania may be more technologically advanced. After all, two years in tech time can mean a world of difference.

Perhaps someone at Regent who reads this board and knows the facts can weigh in on this. The rest of our musings are mere speculation.

Yes - it is mere speculation but it doesn't take much to understand that Oceania does not have free unlimited internet for all guests (unless that changed recently). And, there is no loyalty program that gives loyal customers more than one log on (per person - not per suite). I would guess (another speculation) that Regent has 50% more passengers online when their ships at at sea than Oceania.

Not sure if plays into anything but, as you know, Regent is just finishing up a $50M refurbishment on Mariner. This is after costly refurbishments on the Voyager and Navigator AND they finished one new ship and have started on another. Oceania has not had a new ship in a while and the last I heard was that there would not be new ship for Oceania until 202x. So, one would assume that Oceania has the money to put into a new wi-fi system (and the one they are getting rid of was older than Regent's

Yes - it is mere speculation but it doesn't take much to understand that Oceania does not have free unlimited internet for all guests (unless that changed recently). And, there is no loyalty program that gives loyal customers more than one log on (per person - not per suite). I would guess (another speculation) that Regent has 50% more passengers online when their ships at at sea than Oceania.

Not sure if plays into anything but, as you know, Regent is just finishing up a $50M refurbishment on Mariner. This is after costly refurbishments on the Voyager and Navigator AND they finished one new ship and have started on another. Oceania has not had a new ship in a while and the last I heard was that there would not be new ship for Oceania until 202x. So, one would assume that Oceania has the money to put into a new wi-fi system (and the one they are getting rid of was older than Regent's

Wavenet is new, it is free and it seems better. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8494

There is an upgraded Wavenet Prime that is $9.99 per day but I understand the basic service is much better as well.

By the way, I contacted someone at Regent who says they do not know when Regent will get this updated Internet system but he thought it might be soon.

I don't understand the apparent need to try to deflect criticism of Regent's wifi. Regent can't afford to upgrade the wifi system? Too many guests use wifi?

The wifi has not worked as Regent promised before and after their presumed upgrade. Regent claimed for a very long time that the upgrade provided fiber-optic speeds or some such hype. This was simply not true.

Blaming the passengers (too many people use the wifi) is simply trying to absolve Regent of responsibility for providing service that they promise to provide. Regent promises a lot of "free" things. So if they run out of wine or run out of steak, is it the passengers fault for eating or drinking too much?

Regent's corporate communication division does little or nothing to address the wifi issues. Instead of responding to complaints on CC with clarity either about the present situation or about future plans, they hide out somewhere. If there are genuine reasons that Regent cannot provide adequate wifi or provide wifi speeds that other cruise lines provide, then the corporate communications department should explain that. Letting complaints fester without resolution is not a modern day communications strategy, just as poor wifi is not either.

I've noted a couple of posts of wifi speed test results. Maybe someone on board one of the ships would like to start a thread to post speed test results. Might be interesting to see how good or bad the internet is at various times and places.

It will be very disappointing and mildly annoying if Regent have not taken the opportunity to install the new Wi-Fi technology on Mariner during her refit.

If it works on Oceania, there seems no good reason why it would not improve things on Regent ships.

Will report from Mariner after the refurb as to whether there is any improvement in internet connectivity. Hopefully we will be impressed :cool:

It will be very disappointing and mildly annoying if Regent have not taken the opportunity to install the new Wi-Fi technology on Mariner during her refit.

If it works on Oceania, there seems no good reason why it would not improve things on Regent ships.

Will report from Mariner after the refurb as to whether there is any improvement in internet connectivity. Hopefully we will be impressed :cool:

Completely agree with you. Especially knowing that their sister company Oceania has a better system now I find it very disappointing that Regent does not have it. https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/oceania-cruises-debuts-wavenet-internet-service-fleetwide, and even Royal Caribbean has a similar high-speed system https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/cruise-ship-wifi

Also just read that one of the ships on Princess has a new high-speed system https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8430

Completely agree with you. Especially knowing that their sister company Oceania has a better system now I find it very disappointing that Regent does not have it. https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/oceania-cruises-debuts-wavenet-internet-service-fleetwide, and even Royal Caribbean has a similar high-speed system https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/cruise-ship-wifi

Also just read that one of the ships on Princess has a new high-speed system https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8430

We’ll also be interested to see how the WiFi is on Mariner when we board next week. It won’t make or break our vacation, but will certainly have an impact on the work I’ll need to do occasionally onboard.

I can speak to Royal Caribbean’s WiFi, as we sailed on Explorer of the Seas last summer. While the internet access wasn’t as fast as in land, it was much faster and better than we’d expected. Even our IT Director son was impressed and could do his necessary work with no problems. And even if not everyone on board was connected to WiFi, with 4000+ passengers onboard, certainly there were at least as many online as a Regent cruise.

A good thing is that Regent is now charging people that want to do streaming - this may help. To be clear, I am not defending Regent’s decision not to do yet another upgrade to their system (if in fact they have made this decision - why assume that this isn’t in the plan?) What I am doing is blaming them for giving “free” internet for everyone in the first place since they cannot handle it.

Just got this email today from Silversea that they are rolling out free Internet April 1.

ENJOY UNLIMITED WI-FI ON YOUR CRUISE

Dear Guest,

Sailing around the world with Silversea leaves you with unforgettable memories. Capturing remote landscapes, engaging in authentic cultures, and savoring regional flavors — you’ll encounter it all on a Silversea voyage. These unique experiences expand your global perspective, broadening your connection to the world in the most immersive way.

And now even in the planet’s most remote destinations you’ll be plugged into the world around you — and beyond. Starting April 1, 2018, Silversea will offer free unlimited Wi-Fi access to every suite on board all of our intimate, ultra-luxury ships.

• Guests booked in standard suites can enjoy Unlimited Standard internet access for up to 1 simultaneous device per guest.
  • Guests staying in Silver Suites and above enjoy Unlimited Premium internet access for up to 2 simultaneous devices per guest.

Whether it’s catching up on emails or sharing rare moments from your cruise on social media, you will stay connected at sea and enjoy a world wide web of possibilities with Silversea. Plug into our world and join us for the voyage of a lifetime.

I just recently got off of both the Mariner and Explorer. Internet speeds on both ships was poor at best. I asked both Internet Directors "If I pay for the streaming internet service, and you open up those ports to allow the streaming, do you also increase the speed that I receive?" The answer on both ships was "NO". If you can barely download internet pages, I think it is foolish to pay for streaming that will just sit there and buffer.

The only place we could get good connectivity in our cabin was to move very close to the door. Further into the cabin and all was lost.

Any ideas why Oceania is charging less than $10/day for streaming and Regent is charging over $30/day for an inferior service? :confused: :rolleyes:

Not sure why the automatic assumption is that it is worse than Regent???? I quoted $34.98 as my assumption was that, if a Regent guest had a need for streaming, they would select the best package vs. the least expensive. In any case, I think that you are onboard Explorer and it would likely help you (as it has done us) if you read the current On Board Wi-Fi page that is included with Passages at the beginning of the cruise:

Just to quote a three sentences -

1. "In addition to receiving FREE Unlimited WiFi, you may also upgrade to enjoy video and audio streaming and access sites such as Netflix or Audible for only $9.99 per day. Please note that some on demand content may not be available. Live streaming channels are based on your package and location."

2. Unlimited WiFi - enjoy l general web browsing, post photos to social media and check your personal email. $24.99 per day." Note: Assume that this would be used for people that only have one log-in.

2. "Unlimited Wifi with streaming - enjoy the same access as the Unlimited WiFi (Basic) plan, plus an upgrade to video and audio streaming. $34.98 per day."

We are probably more accepting than most regarding WiFi at sea. After all, we are at sea and satellites are further away in some parts of the world than other parts of the world. I am always able to post or send an email ....... if it were busy now, I'd try later - not a big deal to us.

Hope that this information of helpful.

P.S. IF the charge is more on Regent than on Oceania - it really makes sense. After all, we booked a Grand Suite equivalent (Vista Suite) on Oceania for the cost of a PH suite on Regent. Being the top level of NCLH, Regent gets top dollar (and deserves top dollar) for the Regent experience IMHO!

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you so much for kindly reproducing the information that was in our suite on day 1 of our cruise.

However neither that information, nor discussions with the Internet Manager, has improved our connectivity.

As I reported previously it is particularly bad in our suite but speed is also very slow in the public areas (albeit devices stay connected with less drop-out).

I just recently got off of both the Mariner and Explorer. Internet speeds on both ships was poor at best. I asked both Internet Directors "If I pay for the streaming internet service, and you open up those ports to allow the streaming, do you also increase the speed that I receive?" The answer on both ships was "NO". If you can barely download internet pages, I think it is foolish to pay for streaming that will just sit there and buffer.

The only place we could get good connectivity in our cabin was to move very close to the door. Further into the cabin and all was lost.

To help you and others who have issues with connectivity in their suites, learned a trick a few cruises ago that greatly improves connectivity in your suite. Remember, your suite is enclosed in steel walls and doors that make it difficult for the wifi signal to pass thru so part of the reason for your difficulties.

The partial solution is to partially hold your suite door open; we did this with one of the trash cans. This creates a clear passage for the wifi signal and we increased connectivity over by the door to our balcony. This said, will not improve the internet speed but, will allow a better connection and improve the ability to avoid being cut off due to a weak wifi signal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dave for the tip about leaving the door open. Will give that a try.

However this isn’t very convenient and if this is one of the causes of the connectivity problems I do not know why they do not install a repeater in every suite - particularly on the new builds and during refurbishments.

As you say, it will not improve the speed.

Regarding the additional charges for streaming etc, I am sure that a lot of guests will be a tad upset if they booked at the time of the previous advertising promising “internet just like at home” (wording since changed) and now find they are being asked to pay extra :rolleyes:

We have had better internet connectivity in our suite with the door closed on the Mariner, Voyager and Explorer than in the computer room. Go figure!

P.S. In the old days, opening a door did help.

Well, if you mean the “old days” were February, 2018. Opening the door did help especially when uploading pics on Tapatalk.

Well, if you mean the “old days” were February, 2018. Opening the door did help especially when uploading pics on Tapatalk.

Glad it helped. Don't have to open the door real far to maintain privacy, A few inches/centimeters will help. And, the computer room will not necessarily help with connections or speed. The best can be found by finding where the routers/repeaters are and that should help as well.

Since the computers in the computer center are hard wired into the LAN, might not have any routers/repeaters in there so would not expect that to be a particularly good area for using your wifi. Also, the best reception will be on a laptop. Phones, tablets, Ipads, etc. generally don't have as good of an antenna or other wifi reception hardware as a laptop does so need to consider that fact as you search for the best reception.

Since about two years ago we haven’t had to open a door to get internet connectivity. Having said that, anyone that goes online on a sea day during the times that 500+ people are online, will not get good connectivity - with or without an open door.

It is up to the individual as to whether or not this will upset you or affect your Regent experience. I tend to go online on and off all day and have never allowed the internet onboard Regent to upset me. I’m still a firm believer that if you need internet for work, one should pay for it (as it is a business expense) and allow the rest of us to contact our families or post on CC. After all we are on vacation. I saw a person in the computer room this morning printing at least 100 pages of something. Why on earth should this be included?

P.S. I have posted pictures on Tapatalk on our last three cruises without incident and with the door closed (Mariner and Voyager).

Just got this email today from Silversea that they are rolling out free Internet April 1.

ENJOY UNLIMITED WI-FI ON YOUR CRUISE

Dear Guest,

Sailing around the world with Silversea leaves you with unforgettable memories. Capturing remote landscapes, engaging in authentic cultures, and savoring regional flavors — you’ll encounter it all on a Silversea voyage. These unique experiences expand your global perspective, broadening your connection to the world in the most immersive way.

And now even in the planet’s most remote destinations you’ll be plugged into the world around you — and beyond. Starting April 1, 2018, Silversea will offer free unlimited Wi-Fi access to every suite on board all of our intimate, ultra-luxury ships.

• Guests booked in standard suites can enjoy Unlimited Standard internet access for up to 1 simultaneous device per guest.
  • Guests staying in Silver Suites and above enjoy Unlimited Premium internet access for up to 2 simultaneous devices per guest.

Whether it’s catching up on emails or sharing rare moments from your cruise on social media, you will stay connected at sea and enjoy a world wide web of possibilities with Silversea. Plug into our world and join us for the voyage of a lifetime.

Well, Regent made some pretty bold claims about their internet service, too, which didn't really pan out. It's been my experience that Regent's internet service is marginal at best and totally unusable at worst. I didn't have much trouble maintaining a link with the nearest router, but getting web pages to load or trying to establish a VPN connection with my office was a nightmare - whether I was on my device in my cabin, in the common areas, or in the computer room. Just terrible all around. But the fact that other ships in the same geographic regions can provide reliable, usable internet (maybe not blazing fast, but usable at least) then there's no reason Regent can't. If a mass market ship can have decent speeds with 4,000+ passengers - not to mention crew - it should be a piece of cake for Regent to provide the same or better service to 500-750 passengers.

I, for one, don't care much about streaming. I have enough music on my phone to keep me happy for the little amount of time I'm in my cabin, and the on board movies are plenty for me. I may jump on to the webcams in my dog's kennel just to check in on him, but that's about the extent of my streaming. But I need to be able to access my work system while I'm traveling, as I'm the only administrator for the system we use and if there are problems I need to fix them. Being able to do that without wandering the halls or getting disconnected all the time would make my cruise a lot easier. A 10-minute check-in every day would suffice, but the crappy internet turns that into a 30-45 minute curse-filled blood-pressure test. Every day. Ugh.

I'm sure the technology exists for faster, more reliable internet. I'm sure it's expensive. And I'm sure Regent doesn't want to pay for it - but if they're billing themselves as a 6-star experience, they're going to have no choice.

</RantOff>

Since about two years ago we haven’t had to open a door to get internet connectivity. Having said that, anyone that goes online on a sea day during the times that 500+ people are online, will not get good connectivity - with or without an open door.

It is up to the individual as to whether or not this will upset you or affect your Regent experience. I tend to go online on and off all day and have never allowed the internet onboard Regent to upset me. I’m still a firm believer that if you need internet for work, one should pay for it (as it is a business expense) and allow the rest of us to contact our families or post on CC. After all we are on vacation. I saw a person in the computer room this morning printing at least 100 pages of something. Why on earth should this be included?

P.S. I have posted pictures on Tapatalk on our last three cruises without incident and with the door closed (Mariner and Voyager).

Jackie - just to clarify, the number of people online at any one time shouldn't affect connectivity - speed, yes. Connectivity, no. And honestly, it's 2018. There's WiFi everywhere - even in airplanes, buses, some taxis, everywhere. My last post explained why I need internet - my other choice is to not take a cruise. If Regent wants me (and others like me) to choose another vacation option just so I can check in with my office, well, so be it. But it seems short-sighted for them to do that.

On the other hand, I completely agree with you about someone printing off a huge stack of anything on board - what's the purpose of THAT? I'd be fine with them giving people X number of pages of printed output a day, say for excursion info, boarding passes, that kind of stuff...but 100+ pages? That's just nuts. Wonder it they could set their print drivers to limit the number of pages per print job or per user?

Bill, Last year we purchased a new Jaguar---and yes the car is a "HOT SPOT", so while driving a personal car you can connect with out a problem. So why not a ship?

Ron, all that would be needed to be done would be to have someone build cell towers every 10 miles or so throughout all of the oceans and there could be hot spots for everyone. Seriously, with the ships constructed of lots of steel that has trouble with passing thru the wifi signal, cruise lines would need to put many more modems and repeaters throughout the ship for connectivity as well as bite the bullet to purchase the newest technology that can provide great internet download connections for all that will provide the service that they describe in their marketing but, don't actually provide.

It's not a matter of having the ability, it's buying and paying for the service.