Best First River Cruise

RockinJ

Do not book a 25 day river cruise for your first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a B2B Bucharet/Budapest/Cologne river cruise for our first river cruise. The cruise portion was only 24 days, so I guess we're good, but we added 4 days pre-cruise in Romania for a total trip of 31 days (left home 30 June, arrived back home 30 July).

I'd do again.

If you're a real beer geek, do an itinerary that Includes Belgium. We did Antwerp to Basel that include the Mosel as well as the Rhein. Strasbourg France also has great beers. Plus you get wines and Roman ruins. IIRC it was 16 days.

Do not book a 25 day river cruise for your first time.

Agree with Dena 100%. If it's not your cup of tea, that's a long time to be unhappy.

Roz

We booked a B2B Bucharet/Budapest/Cologne river cruise for our first river cruise. The cruise portion was only 24 days, so I guess we're good, but we added 4 days pre-cruise in Romania for a total trip of 31 days (left home 30 June, arrived back home 30 July).

I'd do again.

I’m glad that it worked out for you, and I’m doing a 57 day trip to Europe this summer so I’d certainly recommend long trips. But not everyone loves river cruising (even if you love ocean cruises), and so I wouldn’t recommend that being a first run.

I believe there was a thread recently from someone on a LONG Viking cruise and he was totally miserable.

• 6 months later...

I have a question. We usually take ocean cruises. We will be taking a viking river cruise out of budapest next summer. Due to low water issues I have read about. Does anyone know if there is a good trip insurance that covers low water problems and such?

I have a question. We usually take ocean cruises. We will be taking a viking river cruise out of budapest next summer. Due to low water issues I have read about. Does anyone know if there is a good trip insurance that covers low water problems and such?

As suggested in post #2 of this thread, visit the River Cruising forum here, located below Cruise Lines P-Z. EM