What if Carnival required reservations...

Megan_Strick

I hate reservations on a cruise. I have no desire to schedule my time on a cruise a couple of months before I go. I have no idea if I am going to want to see something on my first sea day or last sea day, and don't like being told that I have to decide in advance if I want to see it at all. And I have no intention of standing in a line to see if someone else didn't show up so that there might be a seat for me.

I'll tolerate it for some speciality dining but that's about it.

So I just don't sail on the big NCL, RCI, or other lines ships where it is required. I would rather sail on a smaller, older ship and do what I care to do when I care to do it.

But that is just me. Obviously, a bunch of other people feel differently.

:confused::confused::confused: It's been around ever since RCI came out with the Oasis and the Allure. And continues on the Harmony, Anthem, Quantum, Ovation & Symphony. NCL followed suit with the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and Bliss. That's 11 ships.

Carnival will possibly start doing it with the LNG ships, simply because of the number of passengers that will be on board.

Let's continue to hope Carnival does not follow royals lousy practices.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are "planners" and when cruising on NCL we like having certain things booked ahead of time - especially our dining and nightly entertainment. I think perhaps reservations for the comedy club on CCL might not be a bad idea, as the venues are small and the crowds are large!

On Carnival I don't go to their amateurish theater shows but usually try to catch a comedy show or two . With the # of guests trying to get in a show, reservations would be a good thing .

I've made some reservations for shows on NCL as well as booking the carnival steakhouse every cruise, its really simple to do, either precruise on while on board

This discussion reminds me of the response to the hub app . Lots said they never let their phone out of the cabin safe. Walk around the deck today and almost all have a phone with them . Reservations will become normal and expected like the app has.

We quit worrying about shows and comedy clubs a while back. I hate that feeling like we have to do it because we booked/reserved it. We take the same approach for excursions, we never book them either. Some days/nights you just don't want to do it..lol

We have experienced the reservations thing on a couple of ships now and really, its much ado about nothing. You are not obligating yourself to anything. It takes minutes to make the reservations.

We went through this on Oasis of The Seas as well as the new MSC Seaside. Making the reservations was quick and easy, we were able to get great seats for everything, and the quality of the shows on those ships are light years ahead of the pre-recorded music and high school quality of Playlist on Carnival. Royal's Newest ships have full-scale Broadway productions (not truncated, they include an intermission) and MSC Seaside had a full, different show every night in the theater, no guest-participating events sold as "shows" and included acrobatics, illusionists contortionists etc. woven into the musical numbers.

We are "planners" and when cruising on NCL we like having certain things booked ahead of time - especially our dining and nightly entertainment. I think perhaps reservations for the comedy club on CCL might not be a bad idea, as the venues are small and the crowds are large!

This practice (which we did with our cruise on the Oasis) was for us the most distasteful part of the experience (much like a trip to Disney). I would hope and expect Carnival to stay far away from these practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Carnival I don't go to their amateurish theater shows but usually try to catch a comedy show or two . With the # of guests trying to get in a show, reservations would be a good thing .

I've made some reservations for shows on NCL as well as booking the carnival steakhouse every cruise, its really simple to do, either precruise on while on board

This discussion reminds me of the response to the hub app . Lots said they never let their phone out of the cabin safe. Walk around the deck today and almost all have a phone with them . Reservations will become normal and expected like the app has.

Amateurish as in how?

Let's continue to hope Carnival does not follow royals lousy practices.

Unfortunately RCI has to have those lousy practices on it's mega ships. There is no other way the shows would work.

Suppose they didn't have the reservations for the shows and on any given night 50% of the ship decided to see a particular show. You would have a lot of disgruntled cruisers since there isn't a 3000 seat venue anywhere on the ship.

It keeps people disbursed and it doesn't get crowded with everybody being in 1 place all at once.

That's the price you pay for being on a mega ship. To me it's not that big of a deal but I see it is to many people and we all are free to do what makes us comfortable.:)

Bill

Reservations have its good and bad points....I was on the Epic a few years back and the first "headline" show i got to see was night 3. The first 2 nights were sold out (i found out later you could go standby, didnt realize that at first). The flip side is what you get on Carnivals bigger ships for their smaller venue shows....I have seen people line up 90 mins in advance of a show. Now, to each their own, but i cannot comprehend how you stand in line on a cruise ship for 90 mins when you have numerous other things to do

It wouldn’t change my booking habits, but I would like to see them doing this for the comedy shows. But being you never really know who’s going to be the Comedian until it’s close to or even sailing time, they should take reservations starting on the ship. If you don’t show up 15 min before the show starts, it’s automatically canceled and your ticket becomes available.

Also for the adult only shows it should only allow those 18 and over to make a reservation so that those who are supposed to be there actually get a seat.

As far as the regular shows, they are far from spectacular and seating is always wide open. So unless they go back to the pre Playlist days, I think it’s a nonissue.

I sincerely hope they don't go to reservations for shows, etc. I will pre-plan the devil out of a cruise, but not my day to day activities outside of excursions. I wouldn't stop sailing Carnival if they went to that practice, but it is one of the 'turn-offs' I have when researching other lines in considering other options.

I can only talk about my experience on NCL. They only offer reservations on their larger ships such as Breakaway/Breakaway plus and Epic. They offer reservations for their Broadway production shows like Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor , Jersey Boys etc These production shows are offered a few times per sailing. You have the option to book online or on the ship. Ten minutes before ShowTime they allow stand-by guests in.They also allow you to reserve comedy shows in their small Headliners venue. Same thing book ahead of time or enter stand by 10 minutes before show starts. All other entertainment including welcome aboard, magician and hypnotist are first come first served just like Carnival..I go with the flow. If Carnival went to a reservation system I wouldn't alter my plans to sail with them..

They also have it on the Escape, and no, booking ahead of time doesn't work, and from past experiences when we were on board and looked at our reservations on the TV in our room some reservations had changed and one was not even there and that was the most important one. I went to the booking services on the ship and they said show was full and I asked if there was anyway they could get us in. Somehow my reservation was canceled as I had a print screen of it and showed him it was booked prior. He managed to find room for us.

When I'm on vacation I want to do things on my time and on a whim if need be. I don't want to be stuck to times and be at places on vacation I do that in my everyday life and work. Cruise lines are making their customers conform to their standards, if you don't like it oh well there are others to take your place. I guess I will do a lot of land vacations and all inclusive if the cruise industry is going to make me reserve everything I do.

They might do this on larger ships but I've never had to make a reservation on NCL or RC. My 2016 RC cruise had an ice skating rink and it was crazy trying to see a show. We never did see one but I don't really care. So much to do, getting sad about missing something is just wrong.

We booked an NCL cruise on the Breakaway for next spring and after booking it I started reading about all the reservations required for shows and we cancelled and changed to the Breeze. Liked the itinerary better also, E Caribbean instead of Western. Also read a lot of negative reviews of NCLs private island in Belize. Was so glad we were able to cancel and change to Carnival.

As far as I know, there are 7 ships from RCI with the Oasis & Quantum class, 4 from NCL with the Breakaway and Breakaway plus class, as well as the Seaside and Meraviglia from MSC that all require reservations. They all have between 4000-5400 passenger capacity. When Carnivals LNG ships come out with a capacity of 5200, they too may require reservations. Of course the main shows on Carnival need to improve greatly so the demand will be there. Right now, the only demand is for the comedy shows.

I am still trying to figure out why people are so upset about needing reservations. Some have stated that they want to make up their mind the day of and not have anything locked in before hand. By making the reservation, all you're doing is giving yourself the opportunity to possibly see that show, you're not forced to go. And if people want to make up their minds day of, there is always the stand by line that can be utilized. My only experience with needing reservations was 3 cruises on the Escape and 1 on the Seaside. If the venue is a large one, there was never a problem, if it was a smaller venue like the comedy club area or the supper club on the Escape, it could be dicey getting in. But having a reservation for adult comedy is a hell of a lot better than having to wait 20-30 minutes in line on Carnival.

As far as I know, there are 7 ships from RCI with the Oasis & Quantum class, 4 from NCL with the Breakaway and Breakaway plus class, as well as the Seaside and Meraviglia from MSC that all require reservations. They all have between 4000-5400 passenger capacity. When Carnivals LNG ships come out with a capacity of 5200, they too may require reservations. Of course the main shows on Carnival need to improve greatly so the demand will be there. Right now, the only demand is for the comedy shows.

I am still trying to figure out why people are so upset about needing reservations. Some have stated that they want to make up their mind the day of and not have anything locked in before hand. By making the reservation, all you're doing is giving yourself the opportunity to possibly see that show, you're not forced to go. And if people want to make up their minds day of, there is always the stand by line that can be utilized. My only experience with needing reservations was 3 cruises on the Escape and 1 on the Seaside. If the venue is a large one, there was never a problem, if it was a smaller venue like the comedy club area or the supper club on the Escape, it could be dicey getting in. But having a reservation for adult comedy is a hell of a lot better than having to wait 20-30 minutes in line on Carnival.

It is easy to figure out. I cruise to relax, doing reservations in advance is like planning a Disney vacation. I hated it when we had to do it on Oasis. In part, a significant contributor to me not wanting to sail on it again. When on a cruise I don't need to worry about the "hours" I spent planning that now I have to adhere to on a cruise ship. It is constraining, while I recognize I don't have to go (it is my vacation after all - pun intended).

Once you start taking reservations, then loyalty comes in, the Diamonds and Plats need guarantees, stand by lines, yuck and double yuck. I don't want reservations for anything on a cruise ship and I don't want ships that are the destination.

I prefer not to have to make reservations, since I never know in advance what we will want to do on any given evening. The only ship I've ever been on that required reservations was Oasis - we weren't able to get into any of the production or ice shows & only got into one comedy show as standby. Now, as to me choosing not to cruise a specific ship based on having to make reservations, I don't think I would make a decision based solely on that.

to shows and things like that? That is the main reason I haven't sailed on NCL and RCCL. What if I decide at the last minute I want to see a show and can't because it is booked by people making reservations. Would that deter you from cruising?

That's not how reservations work, so it shouldn't deter anyone.

I've sailed Oasis class multiple times and never once had a problem getting a seat without a reservation for anything other than comedy. As long as you got in the standby line before the show. Even then, comedy on Harmony is much larger and there were plenty of seats for standby. I recently sailed NCL Escape and the theater was barely half full. Reservations were pointless.

I would love it if Carnival added reservations. It's a great way to skip the line. We sailed Glory and the line wrapped all the way down the promenade so we didn't even bother. With reservations, you just walk right in OR you can stand in the line. What is wrong with having the option to do either instead of only long lines? It's like a fastpass at Disney. You COULD stand in the long line, or you can reserve and skip the line.