Do Men Need Jacket & Tie in MDR on Formal Nights?

Yes, RCL listened to the vast majority of their customer base who think wearing formal attire on vacation is a silly, outdated concept that should not be mandatory.

If mandatory formal nights are important to you, then there are other (more expensive) cruise lines to consider.

Your comment sums it up well. Dominant majority of customers don’t want to or be forced to wear formal attire on a Caribbean cruise. Their casual approach is basically market driven. Same for most of the other mainstream cruise lines.

Reading all the comments in this and other threads has me rethinking my wardrobe for my upcoming cruise. I appreciated the dress code specified on all the pre-cruise info from the cruise line, and had planned to wear my dinner dress blue jacket (Navy's tux equivalent that I've had all of 1 other opportunity to wear since I got it five years ago) for formal nights, and a suit/sport coat and tie for any other dining occasion. Those of you wearing a suit for a 9 to 5 balk at putting on a tie on vacation, but it would be my rare opportunity to sport my dressier civilian duds and dress uniform when I'm otherwise stuck in the same exact thing 5+ days a week.

I'll still wear my dress uniform for formal night. Gotta take an opportunity to get some good pictures after all. But it sounds like I'd be overdressed on the other nights with a tie and a sport coat, so I may have to reconsider.

Going beyond OP's question of whether it is a requirement, while it isn't a requirement, I'd still feel uncomfortable being significantly underdressed compared to the steadfast few who still choose to make a couple nights of the cruise a special, more fancy occasion. And it will frustrate me, at least a little, when I'm in a black bow tie and someone at the next table over is dressed like they're eating at Chili's. It spoils the atmosphere.

Next time I probably will choose one of the cruises where formal nights are still formal. This one's a family trip with the in-laws, and their treat.

That's just my unsolicited $.02 (and then some)

So do it if you want. What's the problem?

I prefer to fit in or blend in as a rule.

My commentary was more an implicit expression of surprise at how laid back the actual dress code is compared with what's published. I'm a pathological rule follower, so the militant antipathy to the dress code surprises me.

It's a little off topic, but it also frustrates me to hear that the relaxation of the dress code is partly a response to a decrease in quality of MDR food and service.

I prefer to fit in or blend in as a rule.

My commentary was more an implicit expression of surprise at how laid back the actual dress code is compared with what's published. I'm a pathological rule follower, so the militant antipathy to the dress code surprises me.

It's a little off topic, but it also frustrates me to hear that the relaxation of the dress code is partly a response to a decrease in quality of MDR food and service.

Fair enough. Still, enjoy yourself.

Why ask? Although formal night is not really "formal", it still is a dress up night, where the expectation is that you dress nice. For example, a dress shirt and a tie, without the jacket, would certainly be dressed up (barely, but at least it's a good attempt) but a polo shirt, is not by any means dressed up. If you really don't want to dress up, than the buffet is fine, and the day before the cruise, go to Red Lobster.

Cr7hg7zDOQk

Gotta love how some can't help but put people down for not following their idea of how to dress to eat a meal. And nw, I'm not going to eat at the buffet just to make you happy.

For those of us who are disappointed in our fellow cruisers for not dressing up on formal night, it's not our idea of how to dress. It's RCCL's idea. If you weren't supposed to dress up RCCL wouldn't call it "formal night." Shame on those of us who fall on the "dress up or dine elsewhere" side of the debate for thinking we're going to get a nice dinner surrounded by nicer dressed people when that is what was advertised.

So a dark suit and tie isn’t formal? So only a tux or dinner jacket etc qualifies? I’m just curious as to what you mean when you suggest a dark suit isn’t formal. I’ve been to many formal weddings and men typically wear dark suits in this formal occasion?

Times have changed but a dark suit is still not what is expected at an affair where the dress is specified as formal.

Times have changed but a dark suit is still not what is expected at an affair where the dress is specified as formal.

What is expected is no swimwear. Tuxes are not expected. Neither are suits. The daily Compass has some "suggested" dinner attire. There are no "requirements". Times have changed and there were shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on formal night on the Allure last week, along side of resort casual (hawaiian shirts and slacks), along side of suits, along side of very, very, very few tuxes.

I point this out because people should not be made to feel like they have to go and hide in the buffet or the pizza parlor because they don't own a tux and don't want to rent a tux. Dress appropriately for your style and come enjoy a wonderful dinner in the dining room.

Back in 2005, we were on a cruise and ended up talking to the captain for a little while. He asked if we were looking forward to the lobster that night. We told him that we were not eating in the MDR due to us not packing our formal attire. He said, "Don't worry about that. Formal night is just so people can dress up and not feel out of place doing so. Wear whatever you have."

We went in our shirts/ties and had no problem doing so since. We do occasionally pack the formal attire for nice family photos.

For those of us who are disappointed in our fellow cruisers for not dressing up on formal night, it's not our idea of how to dress. It's RCCL's idea. If you weren't supposed to dress up RCCL wouldn't call it "formal night." Shame on those of us who fall on the "dress up or dine elsewhere" side of the debate for thinking we're going to get a nice dinner surrounded by nicer dressed people when that is what was advertised.

It is RCLs idea to make it suggested attire, not required. Calling it a formal night is simply a holdover term from the “old days”. No more captains party where you shake hands with the officers, etc. not much feels special or different about those nights.

When specialty dining came around is about the time this really seemed to change. If I recall it used to be recommended that men wear at least a blazer to chops when it first came out so every night a smaller group was “dressed up”. Now all week certain people are dressed up on certain nights if doing a special dinner at 150 CP, wonderland, chefs table, etc.

The dinner that night is no different than any other night. In fact there are some menu items available every night. There's nothing special except a name and some additional suggestions for attire. Otherwise, same room, same table settings, same food, same waiters,

The dinner that night is no different than any other night. In fact there are some menu items available every night. There's nothing special except a name and some additional suggestions for attire. Otherwise, same room, same table settings, same food, same waiters,

Exactly.

Is there seriously anyone here on CC who thinks that "formal night" isn't just a way for the cruise lines to make money selling photograph packages?

What is expected is no swimwear. Tuxes are not expected. Neither are suits. The daily Compass has some "suggested" dinner attire. There are no "requirements". Times have changed and there were shorts and t-shirts in the MDR on formal night on the Allure last week, along side of resort casual (hawaiian shirts and slacks), along side of suits, along side of very, very, very few tuxes.

I point this out because people should not be made to feel like they have to go and hide in the buffet or the pizza parlor because they don't own a tux and don't want to rent a tux. Dress appropriately for your style and come enjoy a wonderful dinner in the dining room.

LOL, so formal merely means no swimwear. I guess times have changed a bit more than I realized.

My previous comment tied backed to a remark that I made stating the RCCL really had not had a formal night in decades and even their suggested dress of a dark suit and tie did not constitute formal. It would be semi-formal. I fully agree with you that formal on a cruise ship is likely an antiquity soon to disappear.

I believe the cruise companies are just reflecting what is become a norm. In my work environment years ago, all I ever did was wear suits Monday through Friday. Then, my company instituted casual Fridays. That turned into casual Monday through Friday. Today, I have a home office where I wear shorts and a T-shirt during my workday.

The airlines have started charging for extra baggage. Trying to fit a tux or a suit, or a sequin dress in luggage means they had to have their own piece of luggage. Most of us do not want to haul more luggage and pay for it.

Cruise lines finally understand that. So what was suggested as a formal night, is now just don’t be stupid in the way you dress night.

It’s not a reflection of anyone’s belief of what should be or what shouldn’t be in the way they dress on their cruise. They’re just changing with the times.

Moreover, no one is stopping anyone from wearing a tux or a gown for dinner, if they so choose.

I do believe there was some validity in the statement that the cruise companies viewed formal nights as a way to make more money by renting tuxes and selling pictures. I can’t imagine it’s worth it for them to stock tuxes to rent when so very few wear them any more.

...The airlines have started charging for extra baggage. Trying to fit a tux or a suit, or a sequin dress in luggage means they had to have their own piece of luggage. Most of us do not want to haul more luggage and pay for it....

Excellent point. I've always brought and worn a suit for formal night but looking ahead to our upcoming 13 day Baltic Cruise I will not be bringing one. I'll have enough trouble bringing enough clothing for the trip without lugging and paying for an extra bag. I certainly wont be renting a tux. I absolutely wont go to the Windjammer because someone may be offended by my dress shirt and pants.

To tell the truth, I've questioned why I keep bringing and wearing a suit. It's not something I enjoy so why should I do it on my vacation?

For those who really enjoy a formal affair I think it would be nice if Royal Caribbean had a real formal night that was an optional event with a defined and enforced dress code. It could be held in a separate venue with waiters circulating about with hors d oeuvres and cocktails of your choice. Dinner would be from an upscale menu. Senior ship officer could mingle and dine with the guests. Cost for the event perhaps $150 to $200 a couple.

For those who really enjoy a formal affair I think it would be nice if Royal Caribbean had a real formal night that was an optional event with a defined and enforced dress code. It could be held in a separate venue with waiters circulating about with hors d oeuvres and cocktails of your choice. Dinner would be from an upscale menu. Senior ship officer could mingle and dine with the guests. Cost for the event perhaps $150 to $200 a couple.

I LIKE that! We sailed the Oasis last weeks. "Suggested Formal" nights in the MDR saw a variety of clothing; everything from tuxes to cut-off shorts. I would say most people were dressed nice; those in shorts / casual looked out of place. We didn't care, the food was good.

Due respect, I don’t know who or what is stopping you from wearing a tux or gown? Why charge you if you want to wear a tux/gown?

Some people will dress up. Some people will not.

I did sport's coat and tie in August on Grandeur. There were those in open collar shirts. And others in tuxes. Women ran from casual to long gowns.

Relax, and enjoy.

Although, we did get invited to dine with the Staff Captain, and I felt slightly under dressed in tie and sport's coat. So I may pack a suit in the future. But that will probably mean I will never be invited again. :D

Not anymore. I just came from the independence and was really scared because I was intending to wear a T-shirt and sport coat. I found myself overdressed, formal nights are no longer formal night and for the rest of the nights everything goes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly.

Is there seriously anyone here on CC who thinks that "formal night" isn't just a way for the cruise lines to make money selling photograph packages?

Well, some people enjoy getting dressed up and taking beautiful, professional photos with their family. It’s a time to look great and feel great.. to each their own. I love dressing up on cruises and taking pictures, don’t think it would be the same without formal night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums