Do Men Need Jacket & Tie in MDR on Formal Nights?

Haven't participated in formal nights for many years. In the beginning I would rent my husband a tux so he wouldn't complain about packing a suit. As it got more casual we didn't bother with formal nights and ate in the buffet. We're going on Navigator soon and lobster night falls on a formal night I believe and I want lobster. Do men need to wear a jacket and tie into the MDR on formal night? If not, would dress pants and a long-sleeve button polo shirt or dress shirt without tie suffice? I read so many different things but thought I check it out myself. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Haven't participated in formal nights for many years. In the beginning I would rent my husband a tux so he wouldn't complain about packing a suit. As it got more casual we didn't bother with formal nights and ate in the buffet. We're going on Navigator soon and lobster night falls on a formal night I believe and I want lobster. Do men need to wear a jacket and tie into the MDR on formal night? If not, would dress pants and a long-sleeve button polo shirt or dress shirt without tie suffice? I read so many different things but thought I check it out myself. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Wear whatever you are comfortable in.

NO not on RCI

Same boat. Broke the news to the DH he needed a sports coat on the cruise. We're used to NCL and trousers and collared shirt is a dressy as he's ever packed. Don't want to be out of place or offend those who do dress to the nines. But dressing up on holiday is not our favorite thing. We have enough business attire we try to escape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are fine with your own suggestion. Absolutely no tie and jacket needed. However a bib might be good for the butter with the lobster, lol.

Not necessary.

Have no clue why they still call them "formal night". Nothing even remotely formal about them. You can wear whatever you would on any other night.

Amen and Amen! Why call them formal nights? Even their suggested dress code (dark suit and tie) is not formal.

Why ask? Although formal night is not really "formal", it still is a dress up night, where the expectation is that you dress nice. For example, a dress shirt and a tie, without the jacket, would certainly be dressed up (barely, but at least it's a good attempt) but a polo shirt, is not by any means dressed up. If you really don't want to dress up, than the buffet is fine, and the day before the cruise, go to Red Lobster.

Amen and Amen! Why call them formal nights? Even their suggested dress code (dark suit and tie) is not formal.

So a dark suit and tie isn’t formal? So only a tux or dinner jacket etc qualifies? I’m just curious as to what you mean when you suggest a dark suit isn’t formal. I’ve been to many formal weddings and men typically wear dark suits in this formal occasion?

So, I consider Carnival to be the Walmart of cruise lines. Is RCL now the Target of cruise lines? No one cares what one wears? Just sad that people cannot even dress for dinner

Yes, RCL listened to the vast majority of their customer base who think wearing formal attire on vacation is a silly, outdated concept that should not be mandatory.

If mandatory formal nights are important to you, then there are other (more expensive) cruise lines to consider.

So, the good news is this question is no longer generating the heated debates it used to a few years ago. RCCL, Carnival, HAL, NCL etc are flowing with the times. "Formal" attire is no longer de rigueur. Comfortable clothes are perfectly acceptable on the "dress up" nights.

Some still hold onto the old dress routines. But, it's been quite a few years that ties, jackets, etc have been in vogue on those nights.

From 1994 to 2011...wore my tux.

From 2011 to date...black dress shirt, jacket, and pants...no tie.

The "hair that broke the camel's back"....I went from size 30 pants to 34.

Fortunately for me, the MDR is now more casual....not to mention I couldn't wear those tight pants anymore.:D

Go to youtube, put in your ship and formal night. You will find the vast majority still dress up.

The question was is it a requirement.

but that is good advice in general if people want to see how people dress. Or go to Instagram also.

From 1994 to 2011...wore my tux.

From 2011 to date...black dress shirt, jacket, and pants...no tie.

The "hair that broke the camel's back"....I went from size 30 pants to 34.

Fortunately for me, the MDR is now more casual....not to mention I couldn't wear those tight pants anymore.:D

I wore my tuxs on approx. 50 cruises from 1985 to last year, but most likely will retire it for similar reasons, will still wear a jacket on formal nights

We are just off the Allure of the Seas.

First, there are NO requirements. There are "suggested" dress for men and women.

On Formal Nights on the Allure, you saw everything from Shorts and T-Shirts to Tuxes in the MDR. You can dress anywhere between the two and be perfectly fine.

BTW: There are fewer and fewer and fewer tuxes.