Status of Russia port of call

Th concern is not on travel restrictions by Russia. Its more on your personal safety and security, and even your ability to depart Russia afterwards. Russia/Soviet Union has a long history of detaining foreigners on "trumped up" charges based on innocuous local laws and practices. They have also employed gangs to "rough up" foreigners. You are on their turf, so to speak. Being a citizen of country "X" and its laws has no bering on your status in Russia. Your country's laws do not apply. There is only so much your embassy can do to assist.

I have traveled 2x there. Once on a land trip under the Soviet Union and once on a River Cruise. So probably 25 days plus total. As a normal person, I have never run into problems here. Everyone was nice and polite.

I have no doubt that if I was high in the military or in the US Gov't - things maybe different but as a normal citizen of the US, I never felt unsafe. Nor did I run into any problems at the airports, tourist sites, walking around (on my own) - I had my own visa both times.

St. Petersburg (and Moscow) are amazing cities. It would be disappointing to miss either if on an itinerary. Nor would I stay on the ship if my ship would dock there. They are proud of their tourism sites and want to show them off.

• Like 1

As far as tours go, I don't think it really makes a difference between ship tours and private tours.

With alternate ports, if it has to be cancelled, a lot of cruiselines have an overnight in Stockholm, but also there are nearby Baltic ports of Klaipeda (Lithuania), and Riga (Latvia) which can serve as an alternative.

We have been to St Petersburg twice on cruise ships. Both times we used a private tour company. Never felt unsafe while touring.

Our last time there was in 2014 during the time there were so many problems in the Ukraine. We were supposed to sail out of St. P around midnight and were very surprised when we woke up, opened the curtains and were still in port in St. P. My first thought was the ship had been held by the Russians. What we didn't know is that there was a window of a couple of hours for outgoing traffic in the channel. Due to high winds the ship couldn't leave during it's allotted time so we had to stay.

We're on Azamara this August with a 3 night port stop in St P. We're booked for another private tour that includes a trip to Moscow. Our itinerary includes Klaipeda and Riga so if St. P is cancelled I'm not sure what other ports could be offered. If it happens.....it happens. I know it's safety first and the cruise lines will not take any chances.

Th concern is not on travel restrictions by Russia. Its more on your personal safety and security, and even your ability to depart Russia afterwards. Russia/Soviet Union has a long history of detaining foreigners on "trumped up" charges based on innocuous local laws and practices. They have also employed gangs to "rough up" foreigners. You are on their turf, so to speak. Being a citizen of country "X" and its laws has no bering on your status in Russia. Your country's laws do not apply. There is only so much your embassy can do to assist.

We also traveled in 2014, at the height of the last conflict with our 3 year old son, and felt completely safe and welcome. But I would absolutely exercise extra caution while in Russia and hopefully everyone will be safe.

We're booked for there in August and personally not to worried about it. Probably boils down to how much Russia wants the tourist money. Plus, with the wide variety of nationalities on the ship what percentage will be from countries bickering over the current issues. Main ones would be UK and USA passengers. Although our government, Canadian, expelled diplomats, not sure we are high on the list of "political undesirables". We were wondering if St. Petersburg was cancelled they may add a day at sea and add Oslo, Norway instead. Would be definitely disappointed missing all the attractions of St. Pete's, but will adapt.

Th concern is not on travel restrictions by Russia. Its more on your personal safety and security, and even your ability to depart Russia afterwards. Russia/Soviet Union has a long history of detaining foreigners on "trumped up" charges based on innocuous local laws and practices. They have also employed gangs to "rough up" foreigners. .

Seriously?! Can you give any examples of foreign tourists being detained or roughed up as you suggest? If your concern is personal safety, the truth is that it has tended to be western cities that have been targeted, and far more foreigners have been caught up in attacks in cities like London and Paris than they have in Russia.

As others have said, with the World Cup in Russia this summer, the Russians are desperate to be as welcoming as possible to foreign tourists, and I really can't see any problems. Hopefully the cruise lines will not over-react and will keep St Petersburg on their itineraries.

It wasn’t snark ( although Ive been know to do snark). I was seriously astonished one would do a 9 day cruise just to visit SPB.

Because a visa free option to just SPB is so cheap and easy thru Peterline ferry.

Sorry you took it that way. Not my intention. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guess it's the perception of the reader, SPB is the jewel stop for us, it's what convinced me, all though the other ports are welcoming as well, I guess my second favorite would be the train into Berlin. If I find SPB to be what I expected I know I will never see everything I want too in two days, so a land trip would be on my horizon.

I will check out that ferry if I decide to go again, thanks for the tip!!

Guess it's the perception of the reader, SPB is the jewel stop for us, it's what convinced me, all though the other ports are welcoming as well, I guess my second favorite would be the train into Berlin. If I find SPB to be what I expected I know I will never see everything I want too in two days, so a land trip would be on my horizon.

I will check out that ferry if I decide to go again, thanks for the tip!!

I think you will love Tallinn. It was a very pleasant surprise. Totally charming.

We are also watching closely, not worried but just interested to see how it all evolves. If they have to change ports, I'm still on a cruise ship, on holiday so will enjoy and if we get to go, will do excursions as planned. I always try to maintain a relaxed anything can happen approach rather than worry and accept ports of call get cancelled due to all kinds of reasons so if you book a cruise you have to go with the flow but appreciate that's me and we haven't planned this as a trip of a lifetime to Russia.

The new USA system ranks countries on a scale from 1 to 4. A country that is ranked No. 1 tells travelers to take normal precautions. If a country is ranked No. 2 it means travelers should use increased caution. No. 3 urges travelers to reconsider taking a trip, while No. 4 recommends against traveling to that particular country.

Russia has been ranked No. 3 recently. The US gov't wants you to reconsider traveling to Russia.

Russia has been ranked No. 3 recently. The US gov't wants you to reconsider traveling to Russia.

Only IF you are going to Crimea or the Caucasus (specifically Chechnya). The State Department's Travel Advisory spells out as much.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/russia-travel-advisory.html

Just to be sure, its the same website that puts Denmark in level 2. :)

I know that this comment will likely come back and bite me in the a... but come on, level 2?

The website could just say, its a dangerous place out there, just stay at home.

Just to be sure, its the same website that puts Denmark in level 2. :)

I know that this comment will likely come back and bite me in the a... but come on, level 2?

The website could just say, its a dangerous place out there, just stay at home.

So by this logic this would mean the US itself, or at least most states, should be a 3?

Only IF you are going to Crimea or the Caucasus (specifically Chechnya). The State Department's Travel Advisory spells out as much.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/russia-travel-advisory.html

It all depends on how you read that advisory - all of Russia is a level 3 and then you are advised not to travel to certain places if you are in Russia... The advisory does not say ONLY IF.......We will be there on May 5 and 6 so will see how this goes, esp with all these threats and tweets as of late.

I am a US citizen and I have a valid Russian Visa. I am currently in Russia - just returned from Moscow yesterday & spending today & the remainder of the week/weekend in St. Petersburg with some of my Russian friends. Everything seems the same as on my previous trips to Russia - no issues getting through immigration at the airport, all calm in the city.

I am a US citizen and I have a valid Russian Visa. I am currently in Russia - just returned from Moscow yesterday & spending today & the remainder of the week/weekend in St. Petersburg with some of my Russian friends. Everything seems the same as on my previous trips to Russia - no issues getting through immigration at the airport, all calm in the city.

Good to know, thanks for posting.

The US government always seems to give very exaggerated advice to its citizens. If the situation does escalate, then cruise ships won't stop in SPB. No cruise line would intentionally put their passengers in danger.

Still not convinced that there will be any issues, but one never knows on the global political front. There are other ports that other lines hit but one that catches my eye would be an extra day a sea and hit Oslo. But dock scheduling may be difficult. I'm sure all the cruise lines are watching very carefully and will act in our best interests.