Is it better to book single and add people rather than change names?

Ramona760

I am interested in booking a cabin on an upcoming Princess cruise and am not sure if it will be a "girls"trip or with hubby. Should I book as a single and add names once I know or change a name once booked? I know there is usually a fee for passenger changes so what is the best way of handling this? Thx!

I am interested in booking a cabin on an upcoming Princess cruise and am not sure if it will be a "girls"trip or with hubby. Should I book as a single and add names once I know or change a name once booked? I know there is usually a fee for passenger changes so what is the best way of handling this? Thx!

Depending on how long the lag time from initial reservation to figuring out who's going, it's best to book all people into a room at the beginning and then remove them, if they opt not to go. As long as it's before the penalty date (and a refundable deposit) you'd get the money back for the cancelled passenger(s).

This is due to how they fill the lifeboats. If you book a room with one person in it, and the other rooms that also will be assigned to the same lifeboats fill all available space with their occupants before you add person #2, you won't be able to add them, even if your room can accommodate them.

If you book as a single occupant you will be charged 200% of the fare plus most of the promos do not apply to single occupant bookings. I recommend booking you and your husband and then changing when and if required. I don not believe Princess charges a fee if done prior to final payment, but if there is one it will be small, not like the airlines. Some T.A.'s also charge small change fees. You mention "girls." If you plan on more than two/cabin make sure you book the proper room up front.

If you book as a single occupant you will be charged 200% of the fare plus most of the promos do not apply to single occupant bookings.

I recently booked as a solo cruiser and received the current promotion - free grats and a %/$$ off if I book Princess air by a certain date. I am in a balcony so do not know if that has anything to do with receiving the promotion. The cruise is 22 days. I usually book as a solo as I have many friends who cannot decide where/when they want to cruise. I know when I want to go and where I want to go -- so I book solo. If a friend wants to join me -- so be it -- I will just add their name to my booking. Of course, additional port fees will be added to their cost.

Booking solo, you get charged as if two people are in your stateroom (200%) but I can live with that. Travelling solo -- I usually take ship excursions so they still make $$ from me and usually buy some type of beverage package whether it is water, coffee card etc. I once travelled with a friend of over 30 years who cancelled all her ship excursions once on board and did not buy even one bottle of water, wine etc. So .. travelling solo -- the ship still gets $$ from me and I get to do what I want.:)

You should book the names. One name must remain the same throughout the life of the booking.

It's better to book too many people and delete them than not book enough of them. If Princess starts limiting capacity, you may not be able to add anymore names.

I am sorry to disagree, but lifeboats don't have anything to do with it. Whole areas of cabins are assigned to each Muster Station and this doesn't change from cruise to cruise. We all know there are only a few Muster Stations on each ship. I have seen how the process of moving from Muster Station to particular lifeboats is done in a drill, so presumably it would be the same as in a real emergency. People walk slowly in line out of the Muster Station holding onto the 'tail' of the lifejacket of the person in front of them. They are counted as they pass out of the room and150 people go to each lifeboat. These are not pre-assigned, but random depending on where you are in the line leaving the Muster Station.

If you book as a single occupant you will be charged 200% of the fare plus most of the promos do not apply to single occupant bookings. I recommend booking you and your husband and then changing when and if required. I don not believe Princess charges a fee if done prior to final payment, but if there is one it will be small, not like the airlines. Some T.A.'s also charge small change fees. You mention "girls." If you plan on more than two/cabin make sure you book the proper room up front.

I always cruise solo and have always gotten double OBC, etc.

I booked an Oct. cruise for my DH & myself. He decided not to go so I substituted our daughter in his place, no problem, no change feels. The princess rep was able to do it for me over the phone.

I am sorry to disagree, but lifeboats don't have anything to do with it. Whole areas of cabins are assigned to each Muster Station and this doesn't change from cruise to cruise. We all know there are only a few Muster Stations on each ship. I have seen how the process of moving from Muster Station to particular lifeboats is done in a drill, so presumably it would be the same as in a real emergency. People walk slowly in line out of the Muster Station holding onto the 'tail' of the lifejacket of the person in front of them. They are counted as they pass out of the room and150 people go to each lifeboat. These are not pre-assigned, but random depending on where you are in the line leaving the Muster Station.

This is misleading. There are only so many seats in the lifeboats. Once the number of seats is reached - no more passengers can purchase a ticket. So while the particular muster station would potentially have space - the total number of passengers/crew cannot exceed lifeboat capacity even if a particular cabin has space for another passenger.

This is misleading. There are only so many seats in the lifeboats. Once the number of seats is reached - no more passengers can purchase a ticket. So while the particular muster station would potentially have space - the total number of passengers/crew cannot exceed lifeboat capacity even if a particular cabin has space for another passenger.

Princess is slightly different than other lines in that the count is by muster station, not lifeboat. Other lines you are assigned to a specific lifeboat based on your cabin. Effect it the same - if too many people in your area book extra people in a cabin then you might not be able to add a person to an existing booking. It is also possible that entire cabins will go empty if the capacity of an area is reached.

Every Princess ship has a greater lifecraft capacity than the total of passengers and crew.

Every Princess ship has a greater lifecraft capacity than the total of passengers and crew.

I referred to "lifeboat capacity" which is 125% of ships capacity - so not booking a cabin for someone early may mean that you would be unable to book later once the lifeboat capacity has been reached.

https://www.rina.org.uk/lifeboats.html