Just got a call from Norwegian Cruise line

I see the NCL apologists are out. There companies all have terrible customer service. Don't make excuses. I just bought a 4k tv, try getting Sony to answer a straight forward question.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I see the NCL apologists are out. There companies all have terrible customer service. Don't make excuses. I just bought a 4k tv, try getting Sony to answer a straight forward question.

On the Internet it is difficult to determine if the anonymous person is truthful or not. So you have to look at the statement and try to determine the veracity of the person posting. This isn't the OP's first post, and he or she joined CC back in 2010, so I believe he got the call.

But, as far as I can remember I don't think I've ever read anyone saying that NCL called them about a question in the survey. NCL does not even conduct the survey themselves; it is contracted out to a survey company. So the claim is suspect from that standpoint. But, the OP has been here since 2010. So I give the edge to the OP on the veracity of the claim he or she got a phone call from NCL in response to the survey.

NCL may have a program where the software tallying up the responses kicks out a sample of the comments, and a few of them are contacted to enhance customer service. Let's give the benefit of the doubt to the OP and say this is what is happening.

The problem is if the company is saying "no" the recipient will almost always object. I can't tell you how many times I have compared recordings of what people actually were told and what they complain about being told. "It's not that he told me 'no', but the way he told me 'no'." almost always means the problem is that they were told 'no'.

The OP put an opening quote on what the NCL rep allegedly said, but no closing quote. I thought the OP said it was a voice mail message, but I re-read it just now and he or she doesn't say that. But it reads like a voice mail message because certainly there would have been an exchange between them if the caller spoke in that tone. Were those the exact words used, or is there some margin for error on the part of the OP in recounting the story?

I can't convict NCL customer support on this one. There's only one side of the story, with some problems with the story. But, if it was proven that the rep used stronger language than she was supposed to I wouldn't be too surprised. Delivering a "no" message is always difficult, and some people don't do well with it.

Clearly, the OP made a demand to NCL. And didn’t get the response they wanted. And now is “embellishing” the response they got.

NCL sails with over 45,000 passengers every week. If every passenger sent in an email asking for something special, there is no way they could accommodate all. The easiest thing is to stick to the written policy.

And as a shareholder, that is exactly what I want.

I love your assumptions, and judgments they are classic. No more of my time needed on your comment.

sorry, I am having trouble understanding this. I am not taking sides here, but I am not sure why they would have called you. I think before taking sides I would want to have heard the message myself. :confused:

For some reason the past week has seen the haters of NCL including many who admit they have never sailed NCL coming out of the wall.

you don't need to understand or you choose not to, I have been a loyal NCL customer since 2009, so much so the only cruise line i have ever used has been NCL, the past 2 years hmmm no so much. I shared my information, because like it or not their customer service is lacking and i thought it was ridiculous and funny at the same time. So to the ones who hold the pom poms...keep cheering :cool::rolleyes:

Clearly, the OP made a demand to NCL. And didn’t get the response they wanted. And now is “embellishing” the response they got.

NCL sails with over 45,000 passengers every week. If every passenger sent in an email asking for something special, there is no way they could accommodate all. The easiest thing is to stick to the written policy.

And as a shareholder, that is exactly what I want.

Sheesh. Didn't sound like a 'demand' to me. More like a suggestion.

This is strange I was just checking the cabin prices for my cruise out of New Orleans on Thanksgiving. Please search these cruises and check the perks. Port New Orleans, November 2018 cruises. Look at the perks!!
I just checked them and nothing seems to be strange to me. I'm in Canada so maybe that has some bearing on it

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

On the Internet it is difficult to determine if the anonymous person is truthful or not. So you have to look at the statement and try to determine the veracity of the person posting. This isn't the OP's first post, and he or she joined CC back in 2010, so I believe he got the call.

But, as far as I can remember I don't think I've ever read anyone saying that NCL called them about a question in the survey. NCL does not even conduct the survey themselves; it is contracted out to a survey company. So the claim is suspect from that standpoint. But, the OP has been here since 2010. So I give the edge to the OP on the veracity of the claim he or she got a phone call from NCL in response to the survey.

NCL may have a program where the software tallying up the responses kicks out a sample of the comments, and a few of them are contacted to enhance customer service. Let's give the benefit of the doubt to the OP and say this is what is happening.

The problem is if the company is saying "no" the recipient will almost always object. I can't tell you how many times I have compared recordings of what people actually were told and what they complain about being told. "It's not that he told me 'no', but the way he told me 'no'." almost always means the problem is that they were told 'no'.

The OP put an opening quote on what the NCL rep allegedly said, but no closing quote. I thought the OP said it was a voice mail message, but I re-read it just now and he or she doesn't say that. But it reads like a voice mail message because certainly there would have been an exchange between them if the caller spoke in that tone. Were those the exact words used, or is there some margin for error on the part of the OP in recounting the story?

I can't convict NCL customer support on this one. There's only one side of the story, with some problems with the story. But, if it was proven that the rep used stronger language than she was supposed to I wouldn't be too surprised. Delivering a "no" message is always difficult, and some people don't do well with it.

if you read my original post i said " i wrote an email to Norwegian cruise line( answering a survey)" in which i apologize, i should have said I wrote an email directly to Norwegian in addition to a survey i had just answered" when you write an email on their page they ask for your information including any cruises you have booked and stateroom #. I wrote it, made a suggestion, and forgot about it, and it took them a month to reply by voicemail. i have given feedback and suggestions before throughout the years, is nothing new for me, which i imagine a lot of people do. I hope is more clear now. Thank you all for your replies. I have no reason to make up stuff about NCL, nothing to gain on that regard. On board they they say and repeat the phrase " WE ARE A FAMILY" so i thought someone who is a Platinum Plus member and a frequent member of that family would or should probably be treated better..anyways once again thank you all.

This is strange I was just checking the cabin prices for my cruise out of New Orleans on Thanksgiving. Please search these cruises and check the perks. Port New Orleans, November 2018 cruises. Look at the perks!!

Free at Sea

Free Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses

Distinctive Voyages

ive also seen 'Past Perks' (or something like that).

and Holiday OBC.

and the Free at Sea option had Cabin Tips/Gratuities paid.

so extremely cheap cruise.

but what does that have to do with this thread???

No one ever posts tapes of their conversations with NCL, so naturally you would not "take sides" concerning anything anyone ever reported concerning said conversations.

of course they don't. I am not sure what your point is. I am simply saying I would want to know a little more before I started talking about how rude NCL was or why the OP felt he was treated poorly. On the other hand, If the phone call was just as reported, I think NCL was wrong, but it makes no sense why he would have gotten such a call

It's amazing the jump to assumptions, and slant without any first hand involvement. I've been side by side people, who had very different interpretations of statements. Proclaiming "rude"??? Nope, not me.

My point was pretty much like yours. Too many are jumping to conclusions.

if you read my original post i said " i wrote an email to Norwegian cruise line( answering a survey)" in which i apologize, i should have said I wrote an email directly to Norwegian in addition to a survey i had just answered" when you write an email on their page they ask for your information including any cruises you have booked and stateroom #. I wrote it, made a suggestion, and forgot about it, and it took them a month to reply by voicemail.

Thanks for the clarification. It makes more sense now. I can see them replying to a specific email with a call and leaving a voicemail.

If you saved the voicemail I would figure out how to convert it to a MP3 and send it back to them so they can evaluate it. (Well, I would do that because I managed call centers in the past, and was always interested in how we screwed up, but I think most people would just delete it and go on with life!)

I think that most of us on here know that overall NCL custmer service is not all that great especially telephone and land based staff.

So what.

If I can book a cruise at what I feel is a an acceptable cost, I will.

If I can not find a deal that I am willing to pay I do not, simple as that.

If I do book - I know I will have a great vacation with ship staff full of wonderful, hard working individuals.

In my opinion, being that it was a NCL worker answering you call they surely understand that gratuities is money that goes right to the employees as their tips and they depend on that to help make their living. I pre-paid gratuities and still tipped every single time I had the chance to - we have to remember that those workers are all people to and just trying to make a living to provide for themselves and their families. Personally I do not think free gratuities should be an option.

In my opinion, being that it was a NCL worker answering you call they surely understand that gratuities is money that goes right to the employees as their tips and they depend on that to help make their living. I pre-paid gratuities and still tipped every single time I had the chance to - we have to remember that those workers are all people to and just trying to make a living to provide for themselves and their families. Personally I do not think free gratuities should be an option.

When they offer a $50 credit toward excursions, I don't think they are stiffing the vendor. I don't think the 'free gratuities' is stiffing the workers. I think it is just one of the ways a cruise line can entice a customer. That's why NCL doesn't want to do it, because they would basically be eating that cost. Some travel agencies will, at times, offer free gratuities as one of their promotions. If the TA wants to sell its inventory, they may be willing to eat that cost, just as they would by giving an onboard credit. That's my take on it anyway.

Thanks for the clarification. It makes more sense now. I can see them replying to a specific email with a call and leaving a voicemail.

If you saved the voicemail I would figure out how to convert it to a MP3 and send it back to them so they can evaluate it. (Well, I would do that because I managed call centers in the past, and was always interested in how we screwed up, but I think most people would just delete it and go on with life!)

which is exactly what i did, i have done something similar in the past and nothing has changed. Customer Service with NCL is a hit and miss for some people, if you check the threads i am hardly the only person who finds their customer service appalling. I book my cruises, i enjoy them, i move on, if i have a problem on board i address it on board. The Miami Headquarters and customer service is a WHOLE other ball game..Thanks take care.

I agree it shouldn't be a perk, but I also have to be honest, I love it when they are and yes, of course we take advantage of the free grats.

lol it was rude, but quite frankly their customer service needs a lot of improvement, and no worries about the NCL cheerleaders...they don't affect me at all....:')

Yes, there are a lot of those cheerleaders even in the other threads. And they always think we don't notice them. I even had someone who tried to alter my understanding of my own sequence of events just to prove their point. I do hope NCL treats them well - LOL. You are doing the right thing, don't let them twist and affect you.

which is exactly what i did, i have done something similar in the past and nothing has changed. Customer Service with NCL is a hit and miss for some people, if you check the threads i am hardly the only person who finds their customer service appalling. I book my cruises, i enjoy them, i move on, if i have a problem on board i address it on board. The Miami Headquarters and customer service is a WHOLE other ball game..Thanks take care.

I agree with you completely; I was skeptical at first just because I misunderstood what you wrote until you clarified.

If you want to change a company, you have to buy it, take control of the board, and spend the time and money to do so. Except for those wonderful people that rise above the morass, customer service is more of a reflection of the culture of a company than anything else. NCL could provide excellent customer service, but don't expect it any time soon.

I love when a customer can paraphrase a response, and everyone grabs their pitchforks at how rude the paraphrase is. Does anyone know what was actually said? How many people would still complain if the response was just "thank you"? Is there anyway for Norwegian to win here other than to change policy for every request?

Most responses anymore are with a company-provided script, approved by PR. People cannot handle a response that is anything other than bowing down to them.

Funniest part of this thread is one poster has probably 20 posts with some variation of 'blah blah blah terrible customer service' repeated over and over.

Edited by ray98

I think that most of us on here know that overall NCL custmer service is not all that great especially telephone and land based staff.

So what.

If I can book a cruise at what I feel is a an acceptable cost, I will.

If I can not find a deal that I am willing to pay I do not, simple as that.

If I do book - I know I will have a great vacation with ship staff full of wonderful, hard working individuals.

And if you do have a problem requiring actual customer service you know it is a roll of the dice as to what, if anything, will happen.